Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which gif of takane shijou eating is your favorite
This poll is closed.
1st 13 9.15%
2nd 52 36.62%
3rd 22 15.49%
4th 11 7.75%
5th 12 8.45%
6th 32 22.54%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i hate that i got this joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I remember the rhetoric in old ADTRW whenever the subject came up was that "The anime industry doesn't obey supply and demand"

Which always infuriated me because it was literally the opposite!

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Motto posted:

i've read that japanese pricing is due to anime being super-niche as well as the vast majority of people in japan renting or buying used rather than getting stuff new, so sales wouldn't increase significantly even if prices were cut across the board. absolutely no idea how true any of that is though, since it all comes from Online Japanese Culture Experts

The anime industry seems to be the most precariously balanced thing ever, and seems to become increasingly so as time goes on. I just hope when it inevitably goes to hell, however long that takes, it can get back on its feet with a more stable business model.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Srice posted:

It makes a lot more sense when you consider the expensive blu-rays to be more collector's items than something practical.

makes sense, especially these days when it feels like physical media in general is starting to go that way.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

they're vampires

I thought there was more to it than that, but i don't really remember.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Srice posted:

I remember the rhetoric in old ADTRW whenever the subject came up was that "The anime industry doesn't obey supply and demand"

Which always infuriated me because it was literally the opposite!
the anime economist

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I wonder of Chris actually listens to Megadeth

marty friedman hangs out with momoiro clover z and played guitar for such brutal anime such as bodacious space pirates, sailor moon crystal and maria sama ga miteru

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

homeless snail posted:

the anime economist

I gotta put that degree to use somehow!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Snape kills Dumbledore

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it's super-weird when people get super mad when it's announced a game is going to be digital only, to the point that they say they won't buy it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Droyer posted:

I thought there was more to it than that, but i don't really remember.
i mean they have lots of random rules because it's nasuverse, but it's just vampires. they suck blood. weak people get turned into zombies or thralls when their blood is sucked. strong people become vampires of their own.

there are higher ranks of vampires that are nature spirits or extremely magical, but those are specific people, not just vampires as a whole.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

as you can see here, this is the anime laffer curve *uses stick to point to middle of graph where I taped a picture of yukko from nichijou*

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sorry Corals posted:

marty friedman hangs out with momoiro clover z and played guitar for such brutal anime such as bodacious space pirates, sailor moon crystal and maria sama ga miteru

also the Kamen Rider MEGAMAX movie

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sorry Corals posted:

lol

homeless snail posted:

as you can see here, this is the anime laffer curve *uses stick to point to middle of graph where I taped a picture of yukko from nichijou*

lol

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Endorph posted:

i hate that i got this joke

I hate to think I watched that poo poo

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

littleorv posted:

Snape kills Dumbledore

I already said this!!!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

please read my dissertation on the nasuverse

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Endorph posted:

i mean they have lots of random rules because it's nasuverse, but it's just vampires. they suck blood. weak people get turned into zombies or thralls when their blood is sucked. strong people become vampires of their own.

there are higher ranks of vampires that are nature spirits or extremely magical, but those are specific people, not just vampires as a whole.
RIP that one dude who got annihilated by ORT in seconds.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Motto posted:

it's super-weird when people get super mad when it's announced a game is going to be digital only, to the point that they say they won't buy it.

Yeah it's real dumb since the reason is always that they crunched the numbers and estimated that a physical copy wouldn't be worth it.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Droyer posted:

I already said this!!!!!

Ugh fine.

Robb Stark loses his head at his wedding

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

In some ways i prefer having a digital copy. One less box to stash away.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Srice posted:

Yeah it's real dumb since the reason is always that they crunched the numbers and estimated that a physical copy wouldn't be worth it.

I could get being disappointed for like, a second, especially in a case like fatal frame where your console's internal memory is really tiny, but I don't get people's attachment to having a bunch of plastic cases sitting around.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

also I'm a massive hypocrite for saying that since I prefer tree killing to e-readers

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

littleorv posted:

Ugh fine.

Robb Stark loses his head at his wedding

i cant believe iron man is loving dead

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Motto posted:

also I'm a massive hypocrite for saying that since I prefer tree killing to e-readers

at least in that case you're changing the medium in which you interact with to experience the book.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Motto posted:

You'd only be a hypocrite if you were mad at a book because it never got a physical copy!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i mostly like aniplex and their insane pricing because it's still cheaper than an import and also has similar cool goodies. really wish i had known about their Katanagatari set nefore it went out of print.

oh, but their gatari releases suck

!!!

I want this now

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Admoon posted:

at least in that case you're changing the medium in which you interact with to experience the book.

yeah, I like being able to just flip to whatever page over having to push a button a couple times to get there or having to punch in a number.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Motto posted:

also the Kamen Rider MEGAMAX movie

That movie was dope as hell, imo. OOO + W+ Fourze and the old guys! AAA!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Alright, it's time to kick back with a beer and watch some anime. gently caress yeah Monday night!!!!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

eh, digital stuff isn't really my cup of tea because it doesn't "exist" and is tied to specific services. i like having the security of a physical object, even if it is clutter-y.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i am going to the market... the Tamako Market™!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i am going to the market... the Tamako Market™!
I'm bullish on tamako market

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

games generally avoid the pitfalls of books/shows when it comes to digital media though. so yeah i buy some games digital and don't mind digital-only releases.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So glad I bought this gintoki sword

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Digital books are cool since it's child's play to disable most DRM if you so desire, so it's p easy to get backups.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

i mostly like aniplex and their insane pricing because it's still cheaper than an import and also has similar cool goodies. really wish i had known about their Katanagatari set nefore it went out of print.

oh, but their gatari releases suck

You want their Katanagatari... but you think their gatari releases suck?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I'm going to become increasingly attached to physical copies if Comcast is going to actually set a data cap like they say they're going to. I'm not going to get made about digital only releases though when that stuff probably wouldn't be released at all otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm cool with games being digital only unless it is on a Nintendo console

• Locked thread