Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which gif of takane shijou eating is your favorite
This poll is closed.
1st 13 9.15%
2nd 52 36.62%
3rd 22 15.49%
4th 11 7.75%
5th 12 8.45%
6th 32 22.54%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

homeless snail posted:

stories that end is the only reason I got into anime in the first place, cause the only other places that happens in TV are british shows and I don't like british people, and telenovelas and I can't speak spanish

I recommend Britsh drama Luther

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think he wanted to but was asked by his editors to continue because drrr is his most popular work.

I wish Baccano was his most popular one so he could write more of it. :(

Baccano was great.

Isaac and Miria will always be in my heart.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I really enjoyed Toaru at first (I own the entire first season and like 2 or 3 of the second season in Korean) and read it religiously whenever Baka-Tsuki updated it, but now I just find it so uninspiring and bland. An evil character tries to destroy the world, causes a ton of trouble for everyone, then Touma punches them in the face and redeems them. Also Touma is all about telling people they should feel free to ask him for help but keeps balking when Misaka tries to do so.

A powerful character joins at the end of a volume, only to be neutralized by the boss of the current novel.

So many characters, but the author brings them in for a while and then leaves them out to dry.

I dunno, maybe it gets better but from what I've read in terms of spoilers I don't really think it does.

But,

the last volume was Mikoto-centric.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

littleorv posted:

I recommend Britsh drama Luther
well okay, I do like idris elba, but now I have exhausted the totality of good british shows

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Space Flower posted:

But,

the last volume was Mikoto-centric.

Nah, I was mainly talking about how Touma decides to save the Big Bad of the first half or whatever of New Testament, the Magic God whatever cause apparently she also has her reasons for being a menace to society.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

homeless snail posted:

well okay, I do like idris elba, but now I have exhausted the totality of good british shows

I don't watch too many British shows because I have a surprisingly hard time with the accents which makes fully comprehending everything a nightmare.

Luther is really loving good though and I would go gay for Idris Elba

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

homeless snail posted:

stories that end is the only reason I got into anime in the first place, cause the only other places that happens in TV are british shows and I don't like british people, and telenovelas and I can't speak spanish

try the swedish show Äkta människor about robots or the british show fortitude (cause it barely has any brits). or heck, some asian live action stuff

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

littleorv posted:

I don't watch too many British shows because I have a surprisingly hard time with the accents which makes fully comprehending everything a nightmare.

just download subtitles man, i watch everything subbed, even english shows and movies

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

littleorv posted:

isn't there supposed to be a luther christmas special this year

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Reds posted:

One of these days I'll clear the first 20 episodes hurdle of Gintama.

And gently caress you I'm not skipping episodes. If I'm going to go this I'm doing it properly/needlessly inefficiently.

You can technically skip the first 2 since they're not actually chapter 1. I watched them after watching a bunch of Gintama, and I felt the jokes hit better now that I knew who everyone was and how they related to each other.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Baccano was great.

Isaac and Miria will always be in my heart.

It was. And I honestly think that the latter novels have even better stories than the ones that were adapted. It's really good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lmao... they're making an american version of luther and marlon wayans was in consideration to play luther...

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

homeless snail posted:

isn't there supposed to be a luther christmas special this year

Apparently there is going to be a season 4 and a Christmas special. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also I see Symphogear is slowly becoming more of a musical beyond its music battles. I don't mind this at all.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

homeless snail posted:

lmao... they're making an american version of luther and marlon wayans was in consideration to play luther...

The American remake of Broadchurch. Yikes.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

seriously though, fortitude is the best live action show in years and no one watched it

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It was. And I honestly think that the latter novels have even better stories than the ones that were adapted. It's really good.

A few years back, I remember people saying that 1935-A and B had a really good story and it wasn't translated into English so I bought the Korean translation of A and my eyes just glazed over.

I do hope one of the books explains what is up with... Fermet? Whatever his name was.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Davincie posted:

seriously though, fortitude is the best live action show in years and no one watched it
I Will Watch It + the swedish robot show

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Davincie posted:

I trust you Davincie so I'll check it out. After I finish all of this anime.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I watch episodes of QI on YouTube and that poo poo is dope.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

A few years back, I remember people saying that 1935-A and B had a really good story and it wasn't translated into English so I bought the Korean translation of A and my eyes just glazed over.

I do hope one of the books explains what is up with... Fermet? Whatever his name was.

Fermet is pretty cool but he kinda gets explained over a bunch of the books, and I can see why 1935 would be really confusing for people who just watched the anime because it includes so much stuff from pretty every book released before hand.

1933 is one of my favourite's and it's pretty much set right after the anime so it was easy to get into. Though it heavily features a character the show didn't include so that might be a tough start as well.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Fermet is pretty cool but he kinda gets explained over a bunch of the books, and I can see why 1935 would be really confusing for people who just watched the anime because it includes so much stuff from pretty every book released before hand.

1933 is one of my favourite's and it's pretty much set right after the anime so it was easy to get into. Though it heavily features a character the show didn't include so that might be a tough start as well.

Oh, no, I did keep up with Baccano via whatever got translated into English by Baka-Tsuki and other translators online. I was just at a stage where I was getting tired and disillusioned with light novels, but going from reading Baccano in English to reading it in Korea was just a major shift.

In the case of Rokka, I started off with the Korean light novel so I had no trouble blazing through the books. Still haven't finished volume 5 though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Also, Elmer is one of my favourite fictional characters ever and so the baccano novels are really good just for him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh, no, I did keep up with Baccano via whatever got translated into English by Baka-Tsuki and other translators online. I was just at a stage where I was getting tired and disillusioned with light novels, but going from reading Baccano in English to reading it in Korea was just a major shift.

Oh, gotcha.

At least it's getting an official English release now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, Elmer is one of my favourite fictional characters ever and so the baccano novels are really good just for him.

I love that Elmer's thing is being so cheery that even Fermet doesn't want to absorb him.

I'm not too fond of Fermet cause I don't like antagonists that always get away though. Also not too fond of the past chapters. The 1920s are probably my favorite ones.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

littleorv posted:

I trust you Davincie so I'll check it out. After I finish all of this anime.

homeless snail posted:

I Will Watch It + the swedish robot show

good, thank you and enjoy :cheers:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Davincie posted:

im starting to feel like i jumped into the wrong train but im just gonna see where this takes me

also what did the teach do
Gonna spoiler this cause it was genuinely unpleasant to type (and recall) so I imagine it would be unpleasant to read.

One of the main characters of the series, a girl whose name I can't remember, develops a precocious crush on her teacher. Well, whatever, that happens sometimes I guess. Except the teacher encourages it, takes advantage of her, and coerces her into having sex with him. He also introduces her to his friends and blackmails her into having sex with them, which (IIRC) he records as further blackmail material - by this point rather implicitly indicating he does this sort of thing all the time and possibly has several girls he treats like this. Eventually our girl finds out she's pregnant, to which her teacher assures her he'll arrange (and film, of course) the abortion with some black market doctor he knows. All of this is stuff that has happened before the start of the series proper, and is revealed in flashbacks.

The series begins with a group of children being given control over a robot that will fight for their world's future. Each of them gets one turn to control it, and dies afterwards regardless of whether or not they win. Sure enough, the girl's turn comes up, and she uses her power to hunt down and kill all the men who took advantage of her (causing massive civilian casualties of course since she's using a weapon of mass destruction to lash out in their general directions) except for the teacher who she can't kill because...when she finds him it turns out he's her older sister's mysterious boyfriend she was keeping a surprise and her older sister tries to protect him. The girl can't bring herself to attack her older sister and dies shortly thereafter.

Later on one of the other main characters, a boy, gets into a conversation with the teacher, the upshot of which is he doesn't feel bad about any of it and is frankly relieved the girl is dead and will probably continue to do stuff like this in the future. So the boy stabs him, only to be restrained as the teacher is put under protective custody since he just got attacked in the park.

Not that it would in any way mitigate any of this, but it's also worth noting that the teacher is never at any point shown to have any redeeming qualities whatsoever aside from probably being very good at his teaching job. He isn't even sad that his friends were killed and, as far as I remember, is implied to still be dating the girl's older sister who knows nothing about any of this.

Bokurano is a series I read back when I was of the mindset that I should finish everything I start, and is probably one of the reasons I no longer hold that mindset. I still remember plenty of details about it, including this whole bit out of sheer hatred for the teacher.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I love that Elmer's thing is being so cheery that even Fermet doesn't want to absorb him.

I'm not too fond of Fermet cause I don't like antagonists that always get away though. Also not too fond of the past chapters. The 1920s are probably my favorite ones.

I like Elmer because he is the nicest dude and only wants people to smile but basically anyone who knows the guy considers him to be the most evil person in the world.

Also, I like the 1700s because Elmer gets a lot of focus in them and Esperanza is cool.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I feel like Kitoh is probably one of those authors who when you ask him "Don't you think your stories are a bit dark?" responds with some nonsense like "Life is dark."

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

I feel like Kitoh is probably one of those authors who when you ask him "Don't you think your stories are a bit dark?" responds with some nonsense like "Life is dark."

It's symbolic and deep cause bad people aren't always punished. A hard blow of TRUTH right into your face.

Also something something dyed your hair blue something something Community reference.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like Elmer because he is the nicest dude and only wants people to smile but basically anyone who knows the guy considers him to be the most evil person in the world.

Also, I like the 1700s because Elmer gets a lot of focus in them and Esperanza is cool.

I wouldn't say he's nice, at least from the (limited) books that I've read? Like, doesn't Elmer himself admit that it's a self-satisfaction on his part? Like, it's less about goodness or people being happy, it's just a self-serving desire that he has irrelevant to morality?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I wouldn't say he's nice, at least from the (limited) books that I've read? Like, doesn't Elmer himself admit that it's a self-satisfaction on his part? Like, it's less about goodness or people being happy, it's just a self-serving desire that he has?

He is nice because being nice to people, making them happy, and helping them out makes them smile. But yeah, he is basically the most selfish person in existence and only cares about getting what he wants. Which is why I like him. He's a weird character, but Narita does weird very well.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

oh wait bokurano is that mech show some guy kept posting about? glad i followed my instincts to ignore it

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Baccano LNs are good and Keith is the best Gandor.

Elmer is cool too.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Nah, I was mainly talking about how Touma decides to save the Big Bad of the first half or whatever of New Testament, the Magic God whatever cause apparently she also has her reasons for being a menace to society.

And the plot's somewhat inconsequential in Index because you can always guess how it'll end ofc, he punches the baddie. But within that, the meat of the arcs is always real fun for me. That one with the magic god was probably the best of NT. A lot of people are obsessed with her too now, even though she's just a little fairy that freeloads at his apartment with Index. I also really enjoyed the volume where Touma/Misaka go to America and meet the president who is Rider from Fate/Zero

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Gonna spoiler this cause it was genuinely unpleasant to type (and recall) so I imagine it would be unpleasant to read.

One of the main characters of the series, a girl whose name I can't remember, develops a precocious crush on her teacher. Well, whatever, that happens sometimes I guess. Except the teacher encourages it, takes advantage of her, and coerces her into having sex with him. He also introduces her to his friends and blackmails her into having sex with them, which (IIRC) he records as further blackmail material - by this point rather implicitly indicating he does this sort of thing all the time and possibly has several girls he treats like this. Eventually our girl finds out she's pregnant, to which her teacher assures her he'll arrange (and film, of course) the abortion with some black market doctor he knows. All of this is stuff that has happened before the start of the series proper, and is revealed in flashbacks.

The series begins with a group of children being given control over a robot that will fight for their world's future. Each of them gets one turn to control it, and dies afterwards regardless of whether or not they win. Sure enough, the girl's turn comes up, and she uses her power to hunt down and kill all the men who took advantage of her (causing massive civilian casualties of course since she's using a weapon of mass destruction to lash out in their general directions) except for the teacher who she can't kill because...when she finds him it turns out he's her older sister's mysterious boyfriend she was keeping a surprise and her older sister tries to protect him. The girl can't bring herself to attack her older sister and dies shortly thereafter.

Later on one of the other main characters, a boy, gets into a conversation with the teacher, the upshot of which is he doesn't feel bad about any of it and is frankly relieved the girl is dead and will probably continue to do stuff like this in the future. So the boy stabs him, only to be restrained as the teacher is put under protective custody since he just got attacked in the park.

Not that it would in any way mitigate any of this, but it's also worth noting that the teacher is never at any point shown to have any redeeming qualities whatsoever aside from probably being very good at his teaching job. He isn't even sad that his friends were killed and, as far as I remember, is implied to still be dating the girl's older sister who knows nothing about any of this.

Bokurano is a series I read back when I was of the mindset that I should finish everything I start, and is probably one of the reasons I no longer hold that mindset. I still remember plenty of details about it, including this whole bit out of sheer hatred for the teacher.

:barf:

That first paragraph made me physically ill

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

The Baccano LNs are good and Keith is the best Gandor.

Elmer is cool too.

Keith is just the best outright. The biggest failing of the anime is it not giving him his big scene in the 1932 story. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Actually all Baccano characters are cool, except like Szilard I guess.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Space Flower posted:

And the plot's somewhat inconsequential in Index because you can always guess how it'll end ofc, he punches the baddie. But within that, the meat of the arcs is always real fun for me. That one with the magic god was probably the best of NT. A lot of people are obsessed with her too now, even though she's just a little fairy that freeloads at his apartment with Index. I also really enjoyed the volume where Touma/Misaka go to America and meet the president who is Rider from Fate/Zero

So wait there's another girl living with Touma now? I remember really not liking Index very much.

Accelerator books were always my favorite cause his stories just seemed more fun than Touma's. Probably because I prefer espers to magicians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't remember the Gandors.

I know there's the oldest, who I think is Keith. He doesn't talk much. Mexican sword chick is enamored with him.

Then there's the middle guy, who's the big one.

And then there's... Lucky? The softy?

Or was Lucky the barber / torturer?

• Locked thread