Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Drunk in Space posted:

"I'm coming for your little dog!" the raider jeered, as Dogmeat tore her face off.

I hope Dogmeat is once again an nearly unstoppable killing machine like he was after I installed Broken Steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Dogmeat got his rear end kicked by a pack of feral ghouls and I haven't seen him since. :(

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

busfahrer posted:

How would they even patch it? Dagger fall was when, 93?

Daggerfall released in 1996. By then, downloading a patch through the internet was becoming commonplace. Bethesda hosted patches (which were usually new .exe files) in their technical support page. Furthermore, PC retailers and magazines could distribute patched games.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Played for about 2 hours on PS4, didn't run into any bugs I could find and only a couple framerate drops, just lucky I guess. I'm enjoying the game, kinda surprised it let me keep the Power Armor and minigun, thought that would be a taste of power thing then I'd give them back after conducting the World's Slowest Tour Group back to Sanctuary.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RBA Starblade posted:

So with the power armor when it runs out of juice and you leave it, does someone pick it up for you or do you just remember where you dropped it and go back with another core?

It should get marked on your map where you left it.

Personally I was under the impression that cores were rechargeable, but apparently they are limited and finite in number so my suit might end up in a closet for a long time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Questions that I somehow didn't think of while I was playing yesterday:

1. Do random critical hits outside of VATS still happen, or is the critical meter the only source of criticals?

2. Similarly, do headshots count as critical hits for the purpose of the Better Criticals perk?

So from Googling around and asking on Reddit, I'm hearing that you don't get random critical hits outside of VATS. Headshots, sneak attacks, and critical hits are all separate things and don't really work together. So I guess only invest in Luck if you plan on using VATS a bunch. I'm not sure whether I plan on that myself or not.

(Also I'm perfectly willing to be corrected if someone knows otherwise. Reddit isn't always the best source.)

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
This building stuff thing is weird. I was not expecting that in fallout.

Can anyone help clarify what is up with the pistol perk line and the auto perk lines, in that what weapons fall into what perk catagory? The 10mm acts like a semi-auto, but does that mean it's an auto pistol and thus not covered by the pistol perk line? I found a handful of pipe pistols, including one auto pipe pistol, I imagine that one falls into the commando perk line while the other versions for the pistol perk line?

I can't seem to tell if a gun needs to have the word "auto" in its name for commando to apply, and if so, if that means anything without "auto" in the name falls under the other perk line. Kinda confusing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm, looks like a melee build is complete unworkable on Survival difficulty unless I want to reload quicksaves every two seconds.

Is there any way to reroll my base stats after leaving the vault, or should I just revert all the way back to that save?

Also, if I'm going to min/max a shooty-man, how should special look? Is it productive to try to completely forgo Vats and just play like a pure FPS? Does perception affect aim outside of vats?

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
Got up before work to unpack the game on Steam and decided to launch it to make sure there were no issues, and to see what video mode it would recommend (Ultra- as it turns out, with the 970).

And... an hour later Archer was leaving the vault 111 when my wife came downstairs to see what I was doing. drat it Fallout. . .

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So what's the consensus on the more useful SPECIAL stats this time?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

HnK416 posted:

I get the game running on Ultra with a stable(and locked) 30fps and it's all good and fun until I step inside some interior space with fog. Plummeted to the single digits. Any idea of what setting I could gently caress with to help out with that?

Lighting and Godrays. Set both down to medium. The difference in quality for either is imperceptible to near imperceptible.

If that doesn't do it, I dunno. The game is strange. When I am outdoors my framerates are hit hardest on the CPU, I'll be chuggin along at like 80% utilization while my GPU can get as log as 40%. Indoors, the situation is nearly reversed, with some 40% CPU, and 90%+ GPU.

The engine is strange, and poorly implemented. I can't say what your issue is specifically, but the engine is clearly not effectively utilizing system resources.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It should get marked on your map where you left it.

Personally I was under the impression that cores were rechargeable, but apparently they are limited and finite in number so my suit might end up in a closet for a long time
You can buy cores from vendors, do they restock?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Jesus this thread is moving quick. To be expected I guess.

A few good things and a few issues so far.

One, SweetFX works perfectly. It's to the point I can't even play games without it any more :v:

Compared to that photoshop I did months ago:

[edit] Hmm, maybe increase the black level slightly but decrease the mid point contrast slightly?

I've yet to get SLI to work but I'm hoping after I update the drivers it will.

I did that mouseacceleration=0 thing but the Mouse Speed is stupid quick. With the ingame slider all the way to the left (slowest speed) I can still do a full 360 in 2 inches of the mouse moving. Is there an ini I can tweak?

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 10, 2015

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Is there a point to developing your settlements other than filling them up with settlers all named "settler"? Like.. do bandits actually attack them

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Hmm, looks like a melee build is complete unworkable on Survival difficulty unless I want to reload quicksaves every two seconds.

Is there any way to reroll my base stats after leaving the vault, or should I just revert all the way back to that save?

Also, if I'm going to min/max a shooty-man, how should special look? Is it productive to try to completely forgo Vats and just play like a pure FPS? Does perception affect aim outside of vats?

I cannot imagine playing a fallout game as a pure FPS. the shooting outside VATS in previous games was loving awful

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
SLI is unavailable for now per Andy (nvidia tweak guide guy). No ETA on when it will work for the game.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

This game is pretty alright. I finally had to force a frame limit, but it's been rock solid 60fps for me since.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How do I make a guy that can use energy weapons? The only damage perk that looks remotely close is Radiation damage at INT 9, which seems like an enormous investment. Does "non-automatic rifle" or whatever apply to anything, even if shoots plasma?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

kcer posted:

It's been said, but the game is so much nicer to play with iPresentInterval set to 0. You gotta cap your fps to 90 with rivatuner though or a bunch of poo poo breaks.

I also equalised the x & y sensitivity and turned off godrays.

About the most annoying thing now is my tab binding (so pipboy, context menus) breaks if you alt tab, but is fixed if you alt tab again :raise:

Have you figured out which .ini file making changes to actually does something yet?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phenotype posted:

How do I make a guy that can use energy weapons? The only damage perk that looks remotely close is Radiation damage at INT 9, which seems like an enormous investment. Does "non-automatic rifle" or whatever apply to anything, even if shoots plasma?

Energy weapons use the same damage perks as ballistic weapons. So Gunslinger, for example, works for both normal pistols and laser pistols.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

havenwaters posted:

SLI is unavailable for now per Andy (nvidia tweak guide guy). No ETA on when it will work for the game.

Yeah this is pissing me off but I'm still enjoying the game. I did manage to get somewhat of a bump in FPS after loving with nvidia inspector and the control panel but my GPUs are only running at ~60%.

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

Fonzarelli posted:

I'm getting kinda of a choppy effect when i strafe and turn at the same time with a controller. its not framerate, its something to do with the camera for sure because it doesn't happen with the mouse. Anybody else get this?

I get the exact same thing with a mouse and keyboard. It's really annoying.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Energy weapons that fall into the other weapons perks will benefit. So a laser pistol will benefit from the Gunslinger perk, and the Laser Musket will benefit from the Rifleman perk. The only deviation from another other build for energy weapons would be picking up Science for the mods.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I really hope settlements don't reset or despawn dropped or placed items, ie things not plonked down in the settlement editor menu. The fact they give you containers is encouraging, but holy gosh gee willickers is it gonna suck if you have all your decorations disappear.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What's the deal with beds? Am I not allowed to make beds on floors, and also not allowed to make them not on floors? Everywhere I go they are red.

Edit: more in general, what the poo poo is this building mini game and why is it so horribly designed?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 10, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are there suppressors for energy weapons? I kinda want to be a laser sniper man. Energy weapons feel really good to shoot this time around and the laser musket is cool.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam

alphabettitouretti posted:

Back in the day patches were acquired via magazine cover disk or FTP and BBS for the hardcore nerds with dialup. I think maybe the devs or pubs would sometimes post them out on disk as well, I'm sure I received stuff in the mail for a game that was broken or missing something.

I remember all that, but from what I hear the game must have been impossible to play, which is a whole different beast altogether to just patch through magazine disks.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
So far, this game is living up to my expectations as being a pretty good game, albeit with a lot of flaws. I am a little bummed about Bethesda's lovely writing, and the REALLY lovely origin story of the character this time around (oh I guess I'm a housewife looking for babby in a post apocalyptic wasteland.) The new dialogue system doesn't offer much choice. The new perk system is nice, but it's not going to really be open for modding. Character models are a bit ugly. There also doesn't seem to be a hardcore mode, unfortunately, unless I missed it.

I do like the combat now, and I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the crafting/building when I get the hang of it. The graphics don't make me want to kill myself, like some goons suggested they would.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I've always liked, if not the depressing post-apocalyptic Fallout vibe, than at least the World of Tomorrow aesthetic / divergence timeline.

Despite the bugginess, I'm still tempted to get it.

Is the PC stuck wearing that vault suit for the whole game or does Fallout 4 have all the weapons / clothing options of the earlier games?

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Syrant posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to power interiors of buildings? Do I have to put a generator in there? If it's a pre-fab I have to go outside just to select what I want to place or it thinks I'm trying to move the prefab. Is there some kind of way to wire electricity to a building so I can have the wall-lights functioning? Or do I have to run wires between all of them directly?

If a thing doesn't have a conductor terminal on it, it seems to work if it's within a certain distance of a conductor. If you hang a light from the ceiling, and wire up a conductor on a nearby outside wall / the roof it should work.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

I've always liked, if not the depressing post-apocalyptic Fallout vibe, than at least the World of Tomorrow aesthetic / divergence timeline.

Is the PC stuck wearing that vault suit for the whole game or does Fallout 4 have all the weapons / clothing options of the earlier games?

Lots of weapons/clothing options. You can ditch the Vault suit within like a minute of leaving the vault.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MoraleHazard posted:

You can use whatever clothing you can find. Some are full suits that take most of your gear slots others are individual parts you put on each limb and on the torso.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MoraleHazard posted:

It seems to have like a hundred times more options than before because you can equip different things on each limb and then modify all of them.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I hope the RNG-based dialog is something that can be modded out. Amazed that it's back in, since New Vegas' speech check system was perfect.

On the other hand, I love love love having a base outfit with individual pieces of armor on top. It adds a lot to customization and creates the feeling of having patchwork gear, which fits the setting.

So far this is about what I was expecting. Not quite great when it comes to story/writing, has rough edges all over, but delivers a fairly interesting environment with some new systems that are fun to tinker with.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
I just found a railway signal box with a cellar. Inside the cellar were spotlights pointing at a young woman on a bed. Also there were lots of knives and hammers nearby, a box of human bones, and her feet had been connected to a makeshift battery. :wtc:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, because I modeled and named my character after Sterling Archer, I now need a good Archer build.

I don't really want to rely on VATS too much, so I'm reluctant to invest heavily in Luck, but Archer is like the luckiest man alive. Normal "spy" skills are a given (Sneak, Locksmith, maybe Hacking to represent him using devices to get around electronic things), but beyond that I'm not too sure.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Sharrow posted:

I just found a railway signal box with a cellar. Inside the cellar were spotlights pointing at a young woman on a bed. Also there were lots of knives and hammers nearby, a box of human bones, and her feet had been connected to a makeshift battery. :wtc:

The Aristocrats?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Yeah, I'm probably going to get it now. That screenshot sold me.

Good to hear about the customization too. I tend to nerd out on barbie dressup in these types of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Okay, so I guess I can build beds on certain places on roofs of buildings but nowhere else, and when I do they count as "sheltered". Did Bethesda make this fort building minigame because they had finally run out of places to put new bugs in the normal gameplay?

• Locked thread