Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

alpha_destroy posted:

I can see the reluctance about luck, but ricochet seems like a very Archer trait. I'm trying to figure out if you should grab animal friend based on his love of ocelots or not since his rule against dogs.

Lady Killer? Archer's charisma is tricky. It feels like it should be 8 or 3 depending on your viewpoint.

For Charisma, I'm definitely doing the low-Charisma, boost with chems and clothes thing. Archer's super abrasive and awful but he can be charming under very specific circumstances.

What kind of weapons, do you think? I mean, Archer's a spy and pretty good at sneaking, but you don't see him snipe very often, which is definitely not my usual playstyle (I usually grab sniper rifles and go to town). Maybe get Gunslinger and Commando and use the Luck VATS perks to rampage when my sneaking inevitably fails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I accidentally stored something in the workshop while I was building my base. How do I get it out?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Brown Moses posted:

If you're getting lots of crashes to desktop then try the beta patch on Steam, it fixed my crash issues (which happened every 10 minutes). My first few hours in Fallout 4 have pretty much been post-apocolyptic recycling simulator.

pretend you are in syria

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I wonder how badly I'm gonna get messed up going with sneak/melee or sneak/unarmed.

Some of these enemies sound pretty nasty.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

MinibarMatchman posted:

my friend confirmed he was killed by a molerat with a bomb on its back doing a suicide run. lol what the gently caress

Had one run up on me but I heard it at the last few seconds and managed to shoot it. It exploded and killed all the other molerats around it, it was awesome.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mortimer posted:

6 hours in and the game still disappoints me with quests. Guy at quarry wants water drained. Why? I dunno but he does rofl gl. Drain the water and mirelurks come out. "Thanks for the help here's 50 caps" TELL ME WHAT YOU'RE DOING YOU gently caress WHY ARE YOU HERE

I assume you didn't read the logs on his terminal? Anyway, go back there after a few days of game time and prepare to be amazed.

Some random thoughts:
- Local map is still useless poo poo - I want to see surrounding areas, not just a small 20 meter square of the things I can already see
- Ton of poo poo that doesn't have map markers, that's probably why the leaked map picture seemed so sparse
- gently caress YOU DOGMEAT DON'T RUN INTO MY LEGS ALL THE TIME
- I really should get over my hoarding habit
- Interface still bad, but got a bit better when I realized WASD navigated the menus in the Pip-Boy, there are separate hotkeys to go to each pane (M for map, I for inventory etc) and E works in every dialoge you are prompted to hit enter
- Game seems to be a steady 60 FPS most of the time, but being at top of the Corvega building and looking down at the town made my framerate drop to 40-45. Hope it won't be bad in Boston proper.
- "I wonder how that quarry flooded?" "I wonder how that quarry flooded?" "I wonder how that quarry flooded?" "I wonder how that quarry flooded?" gently caress you, Codsworth. It's not even flooded anymore! And no, doesn't seem like he said that to initiate some dialog with me.
- Hard to find a gun that I like so far. Experimenting with mods is cumbersome since you have to spend resources every time you change something, even changing back.
- I can see why streamers liked the pipe gun class, though. Tons of ammo for it lying around.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ahdinko posted:

Had one run up on me but I heard it at the last few seconds and managed to shoot it. It exploded and killed all the other molerats around it, it was awesome.

There's a Super Mutant who does the same thing with a mini-nuke.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Does using the console disable achievements? On my way out of Concord I jumped on a car and couldn't move, so I tcl'd out of it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Seriously though are other people not having problems placing things? I spent 45 minutes trying to place a single bed anywhere in town at all before random clicking led me to put one literally inside of the roof of one of the existing houses, which is still the only place the game will allow them it seems. I still have no clue how I am going to make actual reasonable looking structures this way.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Third World Reggin posted:

pretend you are in syria

I'll do this and report back. I need to cue up some footage of medics on YouTube first

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Colgate posted:

I wonder how badly I'm gonna get messed up going with sneak/melee or sneak/unarmed.

Some of these enemies sound pretty nasty.

I thought I would do a playthrough using stealth/melee. Having played for a bit, I no longer think this.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cheston posted:

Does using the console disable achievements? On my way out of Concord I jumped on a car and couldn't move, so I tcl'd out of it.

They disable achievements in that session, not forever though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

rap music posted:

I thought I would do a playthrough using stealth/melee. Having played for a bit, I no longer think this.

Is the problem with sneaking or melee, out of curiosity?

I've seen some people expressing frustration that stealth is just not worth it this time around (scripted events and enemy placements making it extraordinarily difficult to go undetected), but I haven't really started even trying to sneak yet so I don't know.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

ymgve posted:

The perk for going it alone is looking really, really good given the number of blocked shots/jumps that annoying gently caress has caused.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Harrow posted:

I've seen some people expressing frustration that stealth is just not worth it this time around (scripted events and enemy placements making it extraordinarily difficult to go undetected), but I haven't really started even trying to sneak yet so I don't know.

In my experience, the "surprise attack on the big guy, then fight normally" method still works fine, and they give up searching easily enough if you only put a few shots in. Make sure to walk if you want to sneak properly, as usual (caps lock is the default toggle, you know the drill).

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Harrow posted:

Stealth just ain't what it used to be. It may become more viable in the higher ranks of the perk but as it is now, it's exceedingly difficult to sneak up on enemies (especially trying to get close enough for melee).

But like I said, I'm not at the upper tiers of Sneak.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah when I was exploring Concord there were a couple of times he blocked me in behind a counter or on some stairs.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ahh, where the hell do you find crystal? It's all I need for making a radio tower to make my settlement grow.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sneaking is pretty tough, as a great deal of the enemies are spawned casually watching the entrances into rooms, and you lack something like a lean button that would let you scope it out before you sneak in the door.

Not sure why but it felt way better in Skyrim

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ymgve posted:

Canonical dog behavior. True dog AI achieved.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Maybe they deemphasized sneaking because you are supposed to stomp into rooms with your power armor and minigun all clonk clonk brap brraaaaaaaap.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Sneaking is pretty tough, as a great deal of the enemies are spawned casually watching the entrances into rooms, and you lack something like a lean button that would let you scope it out before you sneak in the door.

Not sure why but it felt way better in Skyrim

Sneaking gets easier as your sneaking number gets higher. Enemies stop responding so readily to obvious provocation. At max level you can basically walk right on front of them and they won't notice you.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I was pleased to find that "Finster" was on Codsworth's name list. I'll name my next character Faran Brygo...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Maybe they deemphasized sneaking because you are supposed to stomp into rooms with your power armor and minigun all clonk clonk brap brraaaaaaaap.

"We greatly improved the shooting mechanics and by God you are going to use them"

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Can someone explain the armor system to me? I mean, it's loving frustrating as all hell to get a new "outfit" only to find it out counts as armor for some parts of the body but not others so you have to grab those individual pieces. Then you find a cool or better set of individual pieces covering all your body parts, only then you put it on and realize none of the pieces have a base skin so you're running around with spike barbs all over you but showing off your underwear... Fortunately the Vault Suit seems to work in most cases as a base, but that gets old.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The game's combat meta is very much Skyrim-style where you want to ranged stealth whenever possible because you get your poo poo hosed up in melee this time around (rad damage from pretty much everything), the bad guys aren't very smart about tracking you down when you're stealthed (though they're smarter than Skyrim barbarians), and the game rains .38 ammo on you. Sometimes you will get into situations where you can't really stealth because there are several monsters that can spawn on top of you and the dungeons clearly aren't designed to be stealth cheesed. I think the oil refinery had like 30 loving dudes just on the inside.

Also holy gently caress, apparently every two-bit idiot in Boston knows how to make a turret. That's getting a wee bit tiresome.

Now that every single item in the game is a crafting mat, you're going to want to be packratting everything you see. If it only gives you wood or steel, you can safely drop it, but there are relatively few items like that. Your job as Fallout man is to run every object you find into a shredder and turn it into a farm or a mod for your favorite gun.

So far I find the Sims Fallout Edition thing really unrewarding and more than a bit tedious, but you can completely ignore it.

Overall the core gameplay is fine and there are numerous improvements that make it seem like they were taking notes from the mod community during New Vegas and Skyrim. I can see myself dropping a minimum 300 hours on this in no time.

And boy howdy I desperately want to do an rear end in a top hat run on these NPCs when I am done with my first playthrough.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
So my system is:

Dual core 3.2 Ghz
16Gb Ram
GTX 750 w/ 2 Gb Ram
Win 7

At first the game said it couldn't detect my graphics card and set everything to low, so I started playing around with the settings. Right now textures, lighting and decals are at high, shadows at medium, godrays off, anti-aliasing and Isotropic are at max. The fade sliders are in the middle and the detail options are at high.

The game looks and runs great. I'll keep playing with the settings and see what I can get away with but right now the game is pretty gorgeous.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Congratulations Fallout 4, for being the first game to implement a loot system where I am legitimately excited to find a toaster because it can give me circuitry

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Speedball posted:

Ahh, where the hell do you find crystal? It's all I need for making a radio tower to make my settlement grow.

I got some by scrapping a camera. I think there was one in concorde speakeasy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nessin posted:

Can someone explain the armor system to me? I mean, it's loving frustrating as all hell to get a new "outfit" only to find it out counts as armor for some parts of the body but not others so you have to grab those individual pieces. Then you find a cool or better set of individual pieces covering all your body parts, only then you put it on and realize none of the pieces have a base skin so you're running around with spike barbs all over you but showing off your underwear... Fortunately the Vault Suit seems to work in most cases as a base, but that gets old.

Thin armor counts as base. The little pipboy icon will show you what armor slots a piece of armor takes up but a good general rule is that thin armor has no defensive stats but usually some other bonus. (Usually a 1-2 SPECIAL stat bonus.) If it is thin armor you can layer atop it. If it is thick armor you can't.

The same applies to head armor. You have a slot for glasses and a slot for head armor but there are pieces of armor that grant more defense but take up both.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Where on earth do I store poo poo? Just leave stuff in a random cabinet? It won't disappear will it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Congratulations Fallout 4, for being the first game to implement a loot system where I am legitimately excited to find a toaster because it can give me circuitry

The old games used to be about ditching trash and hoarding guns. Now it's about tossing guns and hoarding those sweet, sweet, bits of random scrap to make our hoarding habits even worse :shepface:.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah, toasters should always be power items in Wasteland/Fallout games. A+

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK I finally managed to fix the weird stuttering I was getting in interiors. I just did what this post said, except set the max fps to 30 in Riva Statistics Tuner. My settings are the same as the digital foundry video where they compared their budget PC to the consoles.

So now on a 750ti, I can play at 1080p, med-high settings, and get a completely locked 30fps everywhere, never drops a frame.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rabidredneck posted:

So my system is:

Dual core 3.2 Ghz
16Gb Ram
GTX 750 w/ 2 Gb Ram
Win 7

At first the game said it couldn't detect my graphics card and set everything to low, so I started playing around with the settings. Right now textures, lighting and decals are at high, shadows at medium, godrays off, anti-aliasing and Isotropic are at max. The fade sliders are in the middle and the detail options are at high.

The game looks and runs great. I'll keep playing with the settings and see what I can get away with but right now the game is pretty gorgeous.

You should be able to set godrays to low, then do the stuff in my previous post to get a smooth, locked 30fps. I really don't see much difference between the different godray settings, but having it on low still looks great.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Currently most aggravating thing is that I can't break down trees that poke into my settlements, which makes it hard to put up walls. :argh:

I have no loving clue how that Bethesda dev built that pip boy thing in the release video because precision furniture placement is not a thing that exists.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Mailer posted:

The perk for going it alone is looking really, really good given the number of blocked shots/jumps that annoying gently caress has caused.

That perk actually works even if you have the dog with you. :v:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

ymgve posted:

- Ton of poo poo that doesn't have map markers, that's probably why the leaked map picture seemed so sparse

Hey Bethesda give us back custom map notes you fuckers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

cheesetriangles posted:

I've played 16 hours according to steam. The base building UI makes me want to throw my monitor out the window. The hosed up placement of items and everything about that is bad but not unusuable. Everything involved with the settlers themselves is loving insane.

So once you start getting more than 1 settlement and a bunch of settlers you need to start manually assigning people to jobs. Like farming or gathering scrap. The problem is past those first 4-5 people in the tutorial building section everyone has generic name "settler." with no other naming. No numbers no letters no nothing. Also theres no list of everyone in a settlement. Theres no list of how many people are working on a job or what jobs total. When you start running supply lines between settlements you are never gonna undo them because the people are randomly out somewhere in the waste and you need to find them and give them new orders to do something else. I needed to redo some of my caravan supply lines after I understood the mechancis more it became impossible because they were never in town for me to reassign. I have 16 people in a settlement and 14 in another and it's Schrodinger god drat labor pool because I have no clue how many of them actually have jobs.

How the gently caress did this make it out of testing.

really? haha holy gently caress

lewtt posted:

If fallout 4 wasn't a buggy mess with unintuitive menus or wasn't running gamebryo, it just wouldn't feel like a bethesda game

if i'm going to be bothered to spend 12 hours installing mods for their games, It's going to be because I felt I was forced to for it to be playable

:gary: :gizz: LEFT CLICK TO SPIN OBJECT FOR PLACEMENT, ARROW KEYS FOR MENU SELECTIONS :tutbutt::yarg:

seriously whoever did this UI needs to be beaten to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Bardeh posted:

OK I finally managed to fix the weird stuttering I was getting in interiors. I just did what this post said, except set the max fps to 30 in Riva Statistics Tuner. My settings are the same as the digital foundry video where they compared their budget PC to the consoles.

So now on a 750ti, I can play at 1080p, med-high settings, and get a completely locked 30fps everywhere, never drops a frame.

Just a heads up that changing "ipresetinterval=1 to 0" has known negative effects on Skyrim with scripting and time syncing becoming unsynced over time. Not sure if F4 would have the same issue but it's Bethesda so be warned.

• Locked thread