Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Ok, Druid main with an enchanter alt, sounds good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

There's been serious GM drama lately

:allears: Like what? I checked out of p99 a while ago but the drama over 20 year old emulated pixels was always funny.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mrens posted:

I watched a YouTube of someone who got into a CoM group, he was a shaman so he would buff, slow, and sit on his rear end staring at the same three walls for 2 hours. drat if I didn't watch the entire drat thing, I got nostalgia for EQ pretty bad, the question is what class to play, originally I played shaman, they were pretty popular and had SoW (The best spell in the game) but I definitely wanna mix it up for 99. my choices are as follows.

Enchanter/Cleric both highly sought after they are both casters, Gate/Bind is so nice to have. I'm not a fan of their complete lack of solo ability, I don't care how good I am, but I at least wanna solo a few blues while I wait for a group.

Druid, I was always jealous of druids when I played, snare kiting seems fun the a fore mentioned best spell in the game, and ports.

Warrior, I would pick up only dependent on their popularity in groups, I picked up a tank in WoW and have always been a fan of that position, but the lack of any convince spells/abilities make them not my first choice. Paladin maybe.

DO NOT in any uncertain terms play Warrior or Wizard. YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF.

If you're thinking about War, instead may I suggest the wonderful and not miserable classes Shadowknight, Paladin, or even Monk?

Enchanters are pretty legit. Druid is a lot of fun but they're less strong than Shamans in some situations and groups want them less and less as you get higher. But porting is fun and easy easy plat, and druids have tons of cool spells.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VictorKordes posted:

:allears: Like what? I checked out of p99 a while ago but the drama over 20 year old emulated pixels was always funny.

Check out this post:

You'll have to go to the actual post since the quote cuts off his quote with all the good stuff. Click on 'megalodong posted'.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

I play on blue, should I switch to red? I'm like level 6 and leveling is slow as balls.

Haukadalur Geezer
Jun 4, 2008

thats right
PSA: this poo poo is classic forget about fallout 4

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Monk I played and loved, but I've done it already. I never even considered a DPS class, I remember the endless droning of Rangers LFG and my heart goes out to them.

How does cleric sound as a first class? I've always enjoyed the social aspects of the game, I kinda liked sitting on my rear end doing nothing while everyone else did the heavy lifting while I could chat and only had to work for the first 30 seconds of every fight. I imagine sitting on my rear end dropping CH's every minute would be about the same.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Mrens posted:

Monk I played and loved, but I've done it already. I never even considered a DPS class, I remember the endless droning of Rangers LFG and my heart goes out to them.

How does cleric sound as a first class? I've always enjoyed the social aspects of the game, I kinda liked sitting on my rear end doing nothing while everyone else did the heavy lifting while I could chat and only had to work for the first 30 seconds of every fight. I imagine sitting on my rear end dropping CH's every minute would be about the same.

Cleric sounds like a good fit for you then. The only other class like that is wizard. The only real downside is you can't solo so it's nice to have a shaman/ench/mag/nec/dru/etc alt to farm on. You can also just make buddies with enchanters and monks, and duo farm that way.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Mrens posted:

I watched a YouTube of someone who got into a CoM group, he was a shaman so he would buff, slow, and sit on his rear end staring at the same three walls for 2 hours. drat if I didn't watch the entire drat thing, I got nostalgia for EQ pretty bad, the question is what class to play, originally I played shaman, they were pretty popular and had SoW (The best spell in the game) but I definitely wanna mix it up for 99. my choices are as follows.

Enchanter/Cleric both highly sought after they are both casters, Gate/Bind is so nice to have. I'm not a fan of their complete lack of solo ability, I don't care how good I am, but I at least wanna solo a few blues while I wait for a group.

Druid, I was always jealous of druids when I played, snare kiting seems fun the a fore mentioned best spell in the game, and ports.

Warrior, I would pick up only dependent on their popularity in groups, I picked up a tank in WoW and have always been a fan of that position, but the lack of any convince spells/abilities make them not my first choice. Paladin maybe.

Leveling a cleric on red is one of the easiest things in life. Groups were always super easy to find. I even got into groups WAY above my level (mid 20s in MM CE) because cleric heals are too good. The cash flow is REALLY bad until you get your 90% rez, then you can make money pretty easily by selling rezzes. Bind yourself near Seb or OoT and people wont offer less than 200p or a full stack of peridots. You also make many connections this way and can avoid getting PK'd at the higher levels if people remember you. Also, you rarely get PK'd because you're a cleric and no one wants to bother with 2 divine shields and a bucket of heals.

I leveled a druid alt and I have to say that porting is one of the greatest things I have ever experienced. The world is so much easier to explore with invis, sow, lev and ports!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mrens posted:

Necro, Enchanter, Druid, Magician all involve about the same amount of rear end-sitting as Cleric but have varying decent to great solo capability so consider that.

But Cleric is the ultimate social class.

TheShazbot posted:

I play on blue, should I switch to red? I'm like level 6 and leveling is slow as balls.

Try both, they're very different experiences. I prefer Blue. It is slow but its about the journey, not the destination. Find people to group with and just have fun, then you'll gain levels before you know it.

The first few levels are pretty dull though yeah.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

The first few levels are pretty dull though yeah.

The first 10 levels are a pain in the rear end. Things pick up in the mid teens.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

The first 10 levels are a pain in the rear end. Things pick up in the mid teens.

probably shouldn't have chosen a warrior then, huh

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

TheShazbot posted:

Probably not. Warrior is basically the first 10 levels for 60 levels. Not a lot of development.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TheShazbot posted:

Zaphod42 posted:

DO NOT in any uncertain terms play Warrior or Wizard. YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF.

If you're thinking about War, instead may I suggest the wonderful and not miserable classes Shadowknight, Paladin, or even Monk?

Seriously don't loving do it.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Zaphod42 posted:

pretty much, as someone who mained warrior for like 10 years on live... unless you have a guild or friends willing to twink you out from the beginning, just don't. the time investment to level a warrior without twinkage is insane, and the only payoff is that you get to main tank raids. warriors are rather mediocre at tanking for groups, so without some good proc weapons from a low level it's a struggle.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Unless of course you are a masochist like moolchaba. I dont have archives but he did a warrior solo from 1-60 and 99% into 60 too!

:negative:

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

crew posted:

Unless of course you are a masochist like moolchaba. I dont have archives but he did a warrior solo from 1-60 and 99% into 60 too!

:negative:

I am currently leveling my second warrior solo. He is a halfling, 46 right now and wrecking face against hill giants in rathe mountains. No fungi, only an ikky BP, but decent gear overall. If I can continue to improve his gear I'll probably go to mid 50s solo. My first warrior is also 46, but is a troll and unpleasant to look at.

Speaking of gearing, my halfling needs jboots, and I'm too poor to buy them right now. How do you get the south ro AC to spawn? The oot spawn is always camped when I try, and I'm not wasting hours sitting there when I could be leveling.

I also soloed my rogue to 51, that was retarded fun. Intimidate is broken on a rogue.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pratan posted:

Speaking of gearing, my halfling needs jboots, and I'm too poor to buy them right now. How do you get the south ro AC to spawn? The oot spawn is always camped when I try, and I'm not wasting hours sitting there when I could be leveling.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Ancient_Cyclops

quote:

Note: As of January 18, 2014. The South Ro Ancient Cyclops appears to be only spawnable at night and he is much more rare than before. /tar # macro no longer works, and until more testing is done in South Ro, he can spawn *anywhere* in South Ro now and is no longer a static spawn.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
the trick is, you park a character you don't care about in OOT, or you just buy them. if you're on the good (red) server i can loan out a druid that's bound there.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
I spent a bunch of time doing the SRo AC thing, and its lovely. Its pretty common to have people park a character there, log on at the specific times he can spawn and try to snipe him, which happened to me after spending ~6 hours figuring out the placeholders and best times to kill things to maximize spawn chance. For the OoT spawn, you can usually ask whoevers doing it to put you on the list and go play an alt, and they can tell you when they're leaving. Granted that list can be several people long.

If you really want to try the SRo spawn, I can track down my notes and share them.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Bybus Slago posted:

I spent a bunch of time doing the SRo AC thing, and its lovely. Its pretty common to have people park a character there, log on at the specific times he can spawn and try to snipe him, which happened to me after spending ~6 hours figuring out the placeholders and best times to kill things to maximize spawn chance. For the OoT spawn, you can usually ask whoevers doing it to put you on the list and go play an alt, and they can tell you when they're leaving. Granted that list can be several people long.

If you really want to try the SRo spawn, I can track down my notes and share them.

Yes please, I am leveling in Rathe Mountains, and don't mind running over to Sro to camp him. The few times I've tried camping the AC in Sro, there weren't many peeps there.

This is on blue.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

sounds increasingly like I should play a paladin, or some sort of caster (a necro?)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TheShazbot posted:

sounds increasingly like I should play a paladin, or some sort of caster (a necro?)

Yeah casters are the most fun IMO. How much EQ have you played?

Necro, Enchanter, Druid, Magician, Shaman are all really fun and good starter classes with varying but at least decent solo and group potential.

Paladin, Shadowknight, Cleric are a little harder to play but super social and pretty fun.

Warrior and Wizard are the absolute worst. Ranger is pretty funky. Rogue is also pretty funky.

Really important is that casters can cast bind affinity to set their respawn location to anywhere in the entire game. So every time you go to a dungeon, you can just bind outside and your corpse run is only that dungeon.

All the melee classes cannot cast bind affinity themselves, and can only have it cast on them IN CITIES. That means they always have a fairly long multiple-zone corpse run if they die.

Play a caster first, and then if you still want to use the money on your caster to twink a melee character so it isn't miserable.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Rogue's actually really easy. It's a bit lovely to get past the first few levels without gear, but even with just a basic piercing weapon you're golden. It's a 2 button class (backstab, evade macro) that's one of the most in-demand for raiding and groups, but can't solo. Plus you get the ability to wander through almost every zone and dungeon in the game with zero risk of death which is pretty cool.

If you want to tank 6 man groups, consider Shadow Knight. Much easier than paladin, and much better than warriors for anything but raiding. Also a top tier PVP class if you're red.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
both servers, login and in game are hosed right now. don't even bother.

edit: <TMO> has now merged with <Pandemonium> under the <TMO> tag!

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 11, 2015

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

eek! thought PDM was KOS to the red goons?

Anime(Tashan Dorsett) vs Scoobs(I Love You!) for goon pvp supremacy?

it's really hard to keep anyones name straight on red

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

a real jerk posted:

eek! thought PDM was KOS to the red goons?

Anime(Tashan Dorsett) vs Scoobs(I Love You!) for goon pvp supremacy?

it's really hard to keep anyones name straight on red

You got the names right :)

Yeah, I guess that complicates things a little. I never intended for my recruiting to get in the way of the goon guild. I assume it'll just be the same as we do with other guilds: friends in raids, kos everywhere else. But you guys know I'd never PK a <SLAMDUNKATRON> tag :) You guys are still always welcome to tag along on raids with the <SLAMDUNKATRON> tag, just don't expect such friendliness elsewhere :)

The merger made <TMO> hit the member cap, so would you guys mind if I tag my alts in <SLAMDUNKATRON>?

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

Pratan posted:

Yes please, I am leveling in Rathe Mountains, and don't mind running over to Sro to camp him. The few times I've tried camping the AC in Sro, there weren't many peeps there.

This is on blue.

All the times use the in-game time.

SRo AC cycle
1. Only spawns at night (9pm to 7am game time)
2. Can spawn anywhere in the desert area
3. 30.6 minute respawn time
4. Placeholders: Sandgiant Husam, sand giant, desert madman, barbarian male dervish cutthroat, a mummy (if I remember right, the sand giants are always a placeholder)

The ideal method would be to kill all possible placeholders at 11am, giving it a respawn time at 9pm just as night falls. Clear all placeholders again as quick as possible, and it should have another chance to spawn at 7am as night ends. If it doesn't spawn at 7am, leave the placeholders alone until 11am to repeat 2-chance-night cycle. Unfortunately this is easily broken up by other players in the zone killing the placeholders between 7am and 11am. Also note the sand giants will eventually wander into the dark elf camp and get killed, try to make sure this doesn't happen before 11am.

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...

Bybus Slago posted:

All the times use the in-game time.

SRo AC cycle
1. Only spawns at night (9pm to 7am game time)
2. Can spawn anywhere in the desert area
3. 30.6 minute respawn time
4. Placeholders: Sandgiant Husam, sand giant, desert madman, barbarian male dervish cutthroat, a mummy (if I remember right, the sand giants are always a placeholder)

The ideal method would be to kill all possible placeholders at 11am, giving it a respawn time at 9pm just as night falls. Clear all placeholders again as quick as possible, and it should have another chance to spawn at 7am as night ends. If it doesn't spawn at 7am, leave the placeholders alone until 11am to repeat 2-chance-night cycle. Unfortunately this is easily broken up by other players in the zone killing the placeholders between 7am and 11am. Also note the sand giants will eventually wander into the dark elf camp and get killed, try to make sure this doesn't happen before 11am.

Curiously ive run in to a number of other campers (more like farmers really) of the AC spawn in SRO who are now claiming that the AC has a fixed chance to spawn *right* before 9 PM once per server day and at no other time. I personally have seen the AC in Sro 3 times, and each time it *has* spawned in accordance with what these people claim.

Is this a coincidence? Can anyone definitively settle this for me by confirming that they have seen it spawn at another time since november 2014?

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

Never Been Banned posted:

Curiously ive run in to a number of other campers (more like farmers really) of the AC spawn in SRO who are now claiming that the AC has a fixed chance to spawn *right* before 9 PM once per server day and at no other time. I personally have seen the AC in Sro 3 times, and each time it *has* spawned in accordance with what these people claim.

Is this a coincidence? Can anyone definitively settle this for me by confirming that they have seen it spawn at another time since november 2014?

Judging by the number of people who port/log into SRo right at 9 PM in-game and then leave just as quickly, I'd say this seems to be the prevailing knowledge.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
As far as I know its possible for it to spawn in the morning when its still considered "night" but it should despawn shortly after that, when the game time ticks over into "day." This is just my assumption, I only spent about a day trying in SRo. AC got sniped right in front of me, so I said gently caress it and just did the OoT camp, at least that one has normal camp rules.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Bybus Slago posted:

SRo AC cycle

I'm pretty sure that the Ancient Cyclops, as well as Pyzjn, are force-spawned similar to the Kithicor Forest undead at 9 PM game-time; however, you're likely to get one of their old placeholders instead. For what it's worth, I have personally witnessed the AC spawn at exactly 9 PM game-time and didn't see anyone hunting in the SRo desert area prior to his spawn. The question that remains is whether killing their placeholders during night hours will force another possible spawn before morning.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

Anarch posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Ancient Cyclops, as well as Pyzjn, are force-spawned similar to the Kithicor Forest undead at 9 PM game-time; however, you're likely to get one of their old placeholders instead. For what it's worth, I have personally witnessed the AC spawn at exactly 9 PM game-time and didn't see anyone hunting in the SRo desert area prior to his spawn. The question that remains is whether killing their placeholders during night hours will force another possible spawn before morning.

Thats quite possible. The respawn time is a bit over 30 minutes, which barely gives it enough time to spawn twice at night, so it'd be hard to test without spending waaaay too much time there. Best just do log in at 9 and look around like everyone else.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Bybus Slago posted:

Thats quite possible. The respawn time is a bit over 30 minutes, which barely gives it enough time to spawn twice at night, so it'd be hard to test without spending waaaay too much time there. Best just do log in at 9 and look around like everyone else.

I can make (or coincidental) the ac spawn at 9pm everytime I'm going through SRO at evening. And I've made a small fortune from him

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Mrens posted:

Ok, Druid main with an enchanter alt, sounds good.

I'd say level them together if possible. I see people saying stuff like "28 druid or 26 enchanter LFG" and I imagine it's pretty effective.

TheShazbot posted:

I tried both. I'm sticking with blue.

EQ for me is a game where you group with people. I have no real desire to PvP nor solo. It's easier to find groups on a server with a higher population. Also, the goons in <Unknown Guild> are p.cool and there's usually one or two online.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 12, 2015

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Alright guys, LoL Season 5 grind is done. Back to p99 a ton now!

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Censored now, but Derubael made $11k from selling items from banned accounts :lol:

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

a real jerk posted:

Censored now, but Derubael made $11k from selling items from banned accounts :lol:

Old news? Amelinda made cash from donations (lol marshmallows). Kinsawt and Xzerion made 20k+ selling the old IB guild bank. The gm crew has been corrupt since the start and people have been rmt'ing since the first wave of people hit 50.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The biggest shock is that people pay money for gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

a real jerk posted:

Where was the proof of that? Lol