Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vonkrieger
May 14, 2009
Nap Ghost
Invisible inc gets its first DLC release in 2 days! Goodbye weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

any POSsers have Afterbirth?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Vonkrieger posted:

oh cool, what is it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
hey guys my uncle at konami said that if you replay mission 11 7 times after quiet dies well

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

kojima didnt want this

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

any POSsers have Afterbirth?

gross

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ayn rand hand job posted:

hey guys my uncle at konami said that if you replay mission 11 7 times after quiet dies well

hey man some of us have jobs and only just unlocked quiet

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it's ok i don't really care

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

BBJoey posted:

oh cool, what is it
looks like (at least) new programs, and 2 new agents. one of the new agents is a pseudo-vampire who can use KO/corpses as a resource somehow

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Vonkrieger posted:

hmmm i should probably play that game...

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i played invisible inc for about an hour and it didn't really draw me in.

is there anything cool you can do in that game beyond running around and tasing everybody until you find the exit?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

i played invisible inc for about an hour and it didn't really draw me in.

is there anything cool you can do in that game beyond running around and tasing everybody until you find the exit?
well, the main campaign does progress and increases in difficulty until you hit a final mission to tie off the story. what you said and what i said is basically true of :xcom: as well

tasing everyone doesn't really work past a certain point in the campaign

but the gameplay in minutes 1-10 is basically the same as in minutes 100-110, for better or for worse. if you play through the campaign you can unlock additional agents and ai programs which lend towards slightly different playstyles but most of those are added challenges rather than making the game piss-easy with god-characters. some ai programs really make things a lot easier for certain styles though

it's a good game overall with a really well-designed concept of challenge but i can see how it might not appeal to everyone, same as x-com

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Kenny Logins posted:

well, the main campaign does progress and increases in difficulty until you hit a final mission to tie off the story. what you said and what i said is basically true of :xcom: as well

tasing everyone doesn't really work past a certain point in the campaign

but the gameplay in minutes 1-10 is basically the same as in minutes 100-110, for better or for worse. if you play through the campaign you can unlock additional agents and ai programs which lend towards slightly different playstyles but most of those are added challenges rather than making the game piss-easy with god-characters. some ai programs really make things a lot easier for certain styles though

it's a good game overall with a really well-designed concept of challenge but i can see how it might not appeal to everyone, same as x-com

idk i liked the new Xcom

i just got to a point in invisible inc where i had 3 dudes and afaik all they have for weapons is tasers. just got a lil tedious manuevering around 3 dudes where one would do all the work and the other 2 would follow and try not to get seen.

i think i stopped at a level were everything was a dead end and the alarm counter just kept going up

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I really liked invisible inc and am excited for the dlc.

it's really more of a puzzle game though, you can't taze your way to the exit except at the lowest difficulties, a lot of it is trying to think ahead and use your available tools to keep guards distracted and figure a path through the chaos. Watching someone good at the game is crazy, they can weave through a room with 3 guards like it was empty and pull victory out of the most hopeless looking of situations. A lot of it is juggling risk management and thinking ahead multiple turns.

It's a pretty unique type of game to come out, because it's very approachable unlike games that use a similar skilset like grognard map games.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 10, 2015

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Ludwig van Halen posted:

idk i liked the new Xcom

i just got to a point in invisible inc where i had 3 dudes and afaik all they have for weapons is tasers. just got a lil tedious manuevering around 3 dudes where one would do all the work and the other 2 would follow and try not to get seen.

i think i stopped at a level were everything was a dead end and the alarm counter just kept going up
tbf being able to kill dudes isn't really all it's cracked up to be, it rarely results in a tidying-up of a level and it impacts your score at the end anyway

iirc the way to go is to try and hit up nano/cyber augment labs as those upgrades are usually pretty fun/worthwhile. it is possible for the rng to just gently caress you on a level and each attempt at the story is like a roguelike run - it's not every game that's 100% winnable depending on your style and how you upgrade your agents. the last mission is a real wall depending on how you've managed resources to that point

again iirc you deffo want the wireless hacker chick as an agent for sure as she makes resource management much easier

last iirc you unlock new programs and perhaps agents based on iterative attempts at the story rather than successful completions so you eventually unlock poo poo that makes your style/available agents much more likely to be successful if you just keep playing

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The no-killing changes in expert plus; you have to murder everyone because your alarm counter hits 6 so fast you absolutely have to clear the level to survive.

That's another cool thing, playstyles completely change from beginner to expert to expert plus due to additional constraints.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Bhodi posted:

I really liked invisible inc and am excited for the dlc.

it's really more of a puzzle game though, you can't taze your way to the exit except at the lowest difficulties, a lot of it is trying to think ahead and use your available tools to keep guards distracted and figure a path through the chaos. Watching someone good at the game is crazy, they can weave through a room with 3 guards like it was empty and pull victory out of the most hopeless looking of situations. A lot of it is juggling risk management and thinking ahead multiple turns.

It's a pretty unique type of game to come out, because it's very approachable unlike games that use a similar skilset like grognard map games.

but i'm pretty sure the taser is the only tool i have??
i mean i could like hack those terminals for power, and use it to turn off cameras, but other than that... only tasers??

idk i'll have to give it another shot if you're supposed to play it like a rougelike and take multiple runs at it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
you only start with tasers; in the levels there are nanofabs where you buy additional items, and there are missions where you actually are raiding a delivery and you get a free high level item. You can get tasers that have varying levels of cooldown, remote tranq darts, lethal ranged weapons like rifles and pistols that have varying degrees of armor piercing, shock traps you can stick on doors to shock people when they open, EMP devices which disables all drones/cameras within a radius, smoke grenades, all sorts of things.

oh, and one unshielded nuclear reactor that can fire infinite times but only during a single turn per map. So you lure all the guards into a room, and hand it from person to person like a hot potato and kill them all!

Look here: http://invisibleinc.wikia.com/wiki/Gadgets and http://invisibleinc.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 10, 2015

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Blackula69 posted:

yeah don't

i have not been impressed so far but there's still more to open up. the graphics really do look lovely, like the art direction is really same-y and boring. it just looks like fallout 3

el em ay oh

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

hey man some of us have jobs and only just unlocked quiet

she's cool if you want her to kill everything for you after you get her a high power rifle, otherwise ddog still seems to be best dbro for his radar skills

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Bhodi posted:

you only start with tasers; in the levels there are nanofabs where you buy additional items, and there are missions where you actually are raiding a delivery and you get a free high level item. You can get tasers that have varying levels of cooldown, remote tranq darts, lethal ranged weapons like rifles and pistols that have varying degrees of armor piercing, shock traps you can stick on doors to shock people when they open, EMP devices which disables all drones/cameras within a radius, smoke grenades, all sorts of things.

oh, and one unshielded nuclear reactor that can fire infinite times but only during a single turn per map. So you lure all the guards into a room, and hand it from person to person like a hot potato and kill them all!

Look here: http://invisibleinc.wikia.com/wiki/Gadgets and http://invisibleinc.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons

hmm... interesting.
i figured you could buy stuff between levels, so i kinda avoided the shops in the levels

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

stayed up with a friend for the ffxiv patch
its fuckin good, like goddamn

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
how many destinies would you rate it

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

dragon enthusiast posted:

how many destinies would you rate it

destiny is an fps with mmo/rpg elements
ffxiv is a proper mmorpg
so like, a lot of destinies i guess

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
is it good good or good if you like mmorpgs

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Al! posted:

all mmorpgs are bad so

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Al! posted:

so it's bad

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

i really dont like mmos, which is the funny thing
just the right blend of crap to keep me hooked

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Jesus. Bethesda just can't make an interesting character to save its life

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Liver Disaster posted:

stayed up with a friend for the ffxiv patch

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rexicon1 posted:

UM ACTUALLY YOU MAKE THE CHARACTERS SO IF YOUR CHARACTER IS UNINTERESTING IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Rexicon1 posted:

their novel approach to procedurally generating quests/characters/dialogue is to lower the bar so much that you can't tell the difference between procedural stuff and prewritten stuff

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

i havent spent six hours on the phone with anyone in years :unsmith:

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

their novel approach to procedurally generating quests/characters/dialogue is to lower the bar so much that you can't tell the difference between procedural stuff and prewritten stuff

Endless Mike posted:

UM ACTUALLY YOU MAKE THE CHARACTERS SO IF YOUR CHARACTER IS UNINTERESTING IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
apparently the plot twist in blops3 is that you were actually dead the whole time

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

apparently the plot twist in blops3 is that you were actually dead the whole time

whoa spooky?!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

wasn't that the plot of black?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i would play another black

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i wish criterion could do anything on their own again :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006