Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

they're given all of two minutes of characterization compared to the hour or so better-suited-to-this-sort-of-thing games would let you play through before killing them, it's pretty hard for the player to care about someone they know for all of two minutes

Player rushes through game section where you learn about your characters family (there's like, a dozen things you can Activate in the house) , complains about not having enough to care about the character's family.

Harrow posted:

I didn't have to care about the city on a macro level. That wasn't the point.

:words:

So, yes, you're paradoxically saying that the fate of random towns, for a dude whose job keeps him from putting down roots, is somehow stronger than "My literal father left me" and "My child was stolen from me and my spouse was killed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mr E posted:

I'm sneaking pretty well with 7 AGI and suppressors on my guns

Is it possible to shoot something and still not have them know your location? It'd be cool to hit someone from a really long range and have them head off in the wrong direction looking for you.

Anyway, maybe I'll reroll as a "no VATS, sneak attack sniper" for Survival difficulty: http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=66!!724518b953331c995331!2d5443

I'm assuming not using VATS means I can skip Perception since I can still scope-aim everything, only take luck to 5-ish since I can ignore the higher-luck VAT perks (does Better Crits apply to Sneak Head-Shots?), Idiot Savant seems like a good way to skip out on INT, no CHA since the dog steals XP (and fucks with my steal attempts) so I'll go it alone.

Am I min/maxing right?

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Pryor on Fire posted:

Is there any way to fix this awful capped framerate without breaking everything?

Nope. Uncap the framerate and you will get stuck after trying to exit a terminal. GG Bethesda.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

Player rushes through game section where you learn about your characters family (there's like, a dozen things you can Activate in the house) , complains about not having enough to care about the character's family.
I did all that and it still took all of 5 minutes. There really isn't any compelling material in there. You're not even given flashbacks to your wife within the game, which would have also worked better.

Do you read Fox News headlines and gawk in shock, by any chance?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MisterBibs posted:

Yes, a dozen things, like "mmm, Nuka cola". That sure tells me so much about my Wife. :v:

I didn't rush through poo poo dude, its badly handled.

MisterBibs posted:

So, yes, you're paradoxically saying that the fate of random towns, for a dude whose job keeps him from putting down roots, is somehow stronger than "My literal father left me" and "My child was stolen from me and my spouse was killed".

You're still not getting the fundamental difference between character motivation and player motivation, and that's literally the crux of this argument. :doh:

Yes, you as the player caring about the fate of random towns is more important than your character caring about their child.

I'm sure my character cares a whole lot, but I'm not my character. :v: that distinction is loving important dude.

Ideally the character should be a shell for me to play and have fun as I want to, based on my motivations. Not the other way around. The character shouldn't feel like its limiting me into a pre-conceived role, and I have to pretend to like what my character likes.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

"War... war never changes... you got that right"

"God bless america"

"something about nuka cola"

good insights

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Is it possible to shoot something and still not have them know your location? It'd be cool to hit someone from a really long range and have them head off in the wrong direction looking for you.

Anyway, maybe I'll reroll as a "no VATS, sneak attack sniper" for Survival difficulty: http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=66!!724518b953331c995331!2d5443

I'm assuming not using VATS means I can skip Perception since I can still scope-aim everything, only take luck to 5-ish since I can ignore the higher-luck VAT perks (does Better Crits apply to Sneak Head-Shots?), Idiot Savant seems like a good way to skip out on INT, no CHA since the dog steals XP (and fucks with my steal attempts) so I'll go it alone.

Am I min/maxing right?

Line of Sight (although a botched version of it) still applies, and if you're far enough away (sniper rifle at long range) you'll not be detected immediately.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Did I miss the option to get my character a better voice?

e: vvvvvvv and this. I am not doing all that bullshit over again.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
In a month everybody is going to be complaining about how long the intro takes anyway

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack of Hearts posted:

You can play Jane Shepard instead but that's about it.

edit: I meant to type Jane Fallout but I'm sticking by my typo.

Al! posted:

In a month everybody is going to be complaining about how long the intro takes anyway

There's a save right before you leave the vault that lets you respec so unless you want to change your gender no reason to bother.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Al! posted:

i'd credit bethesda for trying but they literally hit the midpoint of new vegas' 2 minutes and fallout 3's 30 minutes and thought that was good enough

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Al! posted:

It's a lot shorter than F3, Oblivion or Skyrim.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, in an RPG I like being able to set my own character motivations. Since that's literally what RPG means. Playing a role. So Bethesda makes a game where I'm a predefined character with a distinct motivation and background. Okay, sure, I can work with that. But then they don't make it to where I care about my motivation or my background. I'm briefly introduced to a person who says nice things about my character and shown that there is a baby there as well, and that's supposed to carry me through the entire storyline. Which it doesn't. So I'm left not really caring about the main plot, which is unfortunate. I didn't care about Martin, I didn't care about Dad, I don't care about Shaun, and yet the game won't stop bringing them up and making the plot revolve around them. I'm totally involved in the plot of Me Wandering the Wasteland With My Dog, but they seem determined to remind me that that's not the game I'm supposed to be playing.

The Witcher 3 has a pretty similar plot, all told: go find your (adopted) daughter.

And, for all its faults, it pulls that part off so well. We get a flashback where we don't just see Geralt bonding with her, we play as Geralt bonding with her. We see that she's an actual character. To be fair, the game's structure does cheat a bit by letting us play as Ciri whenever Geralt hears a story about what she's been up to, but that's part of what makes it work--we care about Ciri because we get to spend that quality time with her.

But, also, I don't really want that from a Fallout game. They might've been able to do it well in Fallout 4. I actually kind of like the idea that your character was in one of those social experiment vaults this time, and the idea of playing someone from the pre-war world who is totally lost in this new, post-apocalyptic version of his old home. But the writing doesn't support that. I've noticed very few dialog options that let you be confused or scared or despairing at the state of the world beyond the "hey, what's a ghoul?" exposition options, so I can't even really play that character.

MisterBibs posted:

Yes, because this is a video game and not a movie, and I was allowed to (in my own time, while playing the game) connect with well-written characters and become involved in their fates. I get such a tiny amount of time with the father in Fallout 3 or the family in Fallout 4 to actually care about them beyond the game basically telling me "you care about these characters." There is a wide gulf between character motivation and player motivation, and I'm saying that Fallout 4 does an exceptionally poor job of motivating the player to care about it.

Other games have made me care about familial relationships by letting me actually play the game within those relationships. I cared about Geralt and Ciri's relationship in The Witcher 3 despite never reading any of the books. I cared about Joel and Ellie's relationship in The Last of Us because the whole game is structured around it. Fallout 4 does not do this. It gives you five minutes with a barely-characterized spouse and a can't-be-characterized-because-he's-an-infant Shaun and then takes them away to serve as a MacGuffin. That's not how you make a player give a poo poo about a character in a video game. It takes more than that to get from "this is the character's motivation" to "this is my motivation as a player."

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Al! posted:

there will be a mod for that

and tits

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jack of Hearts posted:

e: vvvvvvv and this. I am not doing all that bullshit over again.

No. The male voice actor sounds like a confused little bitch constantly and it's hilarious. Like hi, I'm a grizzled war veteran who probably worked in a concentration camp, allow me to act like a meek baby when asking a literal child to explain a name to me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I might be Playing It Wrong but I have barely used Vats at all the time around since the guns are so accurate when used manually. Maybe it is just because I can mouse aim it, controllers may be different

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Is anyone else on PC having issues with lockpicking? I've done all the .ini edits to uncap the frame rate and get rid of mouse smoothing and all that, everything seems to work fine....

... however the only thing I've found thats funky is my lockpicking. Hitting W or A to move the lock left or right makes it move at hyper-fast speed, almost instantly breaking the bobby pin. It's really frustrating to use 4 or 5 pins to open a novice level lock.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Here's the thing, you barely know either of those characters by the time something "dramatic" happens to them. Oh poo poo, bored Liam Neeson is gone. Oh poo poo, your spouse who you deliberately gave a monster face and barely interacted with over the course of five minutes got shot by a bald man.

There is no impact. At least the random towns have multiple characters who the player can presumably come to know over time.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

they hosed up almost all the guns and mirrored them so now the player gets a face full of burning ammo casings in their face every time they shoot

they didnt do this in fallout 3, what happened

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Prophecy120 posted:

Is anyone else on PC having issues with lockpicking? I've done all the .ini edits to uncap the frame rate and get rid of mouse smoothing and all that, everything seems to work fine....

... however the only thing I've found thats funky is my lockpicking. Hitting W or A to move the lock left or right makes it move at hyper-fast speed, almost instantly breaking the bobby pin. It's really frustrating to use 4 or 5 pins to open a novice level lock.

Lockpicking works great for me as you'd think it would, but I'm playing with 60fps. Is higher than 60fps really that important?

ShadowMar posted:

they hosed up almost all the guns and mirrored them so now the player gets a face full of burning ammo casings in their face every time they shoot

Most game artists have never shot a gun before and it really shows.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I might be Playing It Wrong but I have barely used Vats at all the time around since the guns are so accurate when used manually. Maybe it is just because I can mouse aim it, controllers may be different

I feel like they're pushing VATS even harder this time around than in Fallout 3 (just look at the sheer number of VATS-specific perks, like fully 60% of the Luck perks), but you're not playing it wrong if you don't want to use it. The shooting in real time is better than it's ever been so I haven't been using it that much either, despite stupidly investing in Luck.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

UM EXCUSE ME MR GUN SPERG,

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I want a mod where during character creation your spouse asks you how in the hell you are making your nose bigger or changing your jawline.

Also for proroleplaying, make both parents ugly as sin and turn the bald shooter into a Hero Of The Gene Pool

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

The Droid posted:

UM EXCUSE ME MR GUN SPERG,

ms

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Running the game at higher than 90fps introduces things like animations that don't stop properly and thus get you permanently stuck, terminals bugging out, because compensating for frame-dependent timing is something Bethesda has never bothered with

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

ShadowMar posted:

They decided shells ejecting across the screen instead of off screen looked more dynamic probably.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

there will be a mod for that

and tits

Gods work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I feel like they're pushing VATS even harder this time around than in Fallout 3 (just look at the sheer number of VATS-specific perks, like fully 60% of the Luck perks), but you're not playing it wrong if you don't want to use it. The shooting in real time is better than it's ever been so I haven't been using it that much either, despite stupidly investing in Luck.

Luck has a lot of VATS perk because it is the critical hits thing and critical hits are more Vats focused.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Harrow posted:

The Witcher 3 has a pretty similar plot, all told: go find your (adopted) daughter.

And, for all its faults, it pulls that part off so well. We get a flashback where we don't just see Geralt bonding with her, we play as Geralt bonding with her. We see that she's an actual character. To be fair, the game's structure does cheat a bit by letting us play as Ciri whenever Geralt hears a story about what she's been up to, but that's part of what makes it work--we care about Ciri because we get to spend that quality time with her.

But, also, I don't really want that from a Fallout game. They might've been able to do it well in Fallout 4. I actually kind of like the idea that your character was in one of those social experiment vaults this time, and the idea of playing someone from the pre-war world who is totally lost in this new, post-apocalyptic version of his old home. But the writing doesn't support that. I've noticed very few dialog options that let you be confused or scared or despairing at the state of the world beyond the "hey, what's a ghoul?" exposition options, so I can't even really play that character.

Yeah, I am really getting to dislike the male protagonist in this game. He's characterized (and voiced, ugh) just enough that it keeps me from projecting an arbitrary personality onto him, but the level of characterization we get is also so little that I don't give a drat about the guy they force us to get to know for five minutes before the world ends. I enjoyed playing the Courier in NV, because he was whatever I wanted him to be. I enjoyed playing the specific role of Geralt of Rivia, because Geralt is cool and interesting. This guy kinda just sucks.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Mister Bibbs heres a story for you about a man I call the Player Character

YOUR FATHER is proud of you. One day, A MAN comes to your house. YOUR FATHER answers the door, and speaks to the MAN. THE MAN pulls out a gun and shoots YOUR FATHER in the head.

Now you must find THE MAN and revenge YOUR FATHER

On a scale of 1-10 how emotionally resonant was this story for you

if you rated it below a 5, please explain what makes the story different from the story of fallout 4. thanks.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 10, 2015

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ShadowMar posted:

They do this on purpose in almost every video game that exists so that you can see the sick ejection animations?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah so far I prefer non-VATS. I mean, I always preferred non-VATS, so its fine by me that it seems to be pretty okay to play that way this time around.

I posted before, everybody said that the iron-sights shooting was about the same as other Bethesda games but it actually feels a little bit tighter and better this time around. Not a huge night and day difference, but the gunfeel is just a little bit better across the board.

That said I still use VATS in some situations for those sweet head crits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack of Hearts posted:

Yeah, I am really getting to dislike the male protagonist in this game. He's characterized (and voiced, ugh) just enough that it keeps me from projecting an arbitrary personality onto him, but the level of characterization we get is also so little that I don't give a drat about the guy they force us to get to know for five minutes before the world ends. I enjoyed playing the Courier in NV, because he was whatever I wanted him to be. I enjoyed playing the specific role of Geralt of Rivia, because Geralt is cool and interesting. This guy kinda just sucks.

This is a huge problem with the game I think.

Your protagonist isn't blank slate enough to be a non-character but they're not developed enough to be even a Commander Shepard. They're a weird in-between.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Saint Freak posted:

They do this on purpose in almost every video game that exists so that you can see the sick ejection animations?

Except the ejection ports are on the opposite side of where the casings are actually firing out of in most cases

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Rolling Scissors posted:

Nope. Uncap the framerate and you will get stuck after trying to exit a terminal. GG Bethesda.

Cap the framerate below 110 90 and that problem will be solved.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Also for proroleplaying, make both parents ugly as sin and turn the bald shooter into a Hero Of The Gene Pool

http://kotaku.com/the-ugliest-characters-of-fallout-4-1741653859

:barf:

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Jack of Hearts posted:

Its a really crappy middle ground

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Walrus posted:

Mister Bibbs heres a story for you about a man I call the Player Character

YOUR FATHER is proud of you. One day, A MAN comes to your house. YOUR FATHER answers the door, and speaks to the MAN. THE MAN pulls out a gun and shoots YOUR FATHER in the head.

Now you must find THE MAN and revenge YOUR FATHER

On a scale of 1-10 how emotionally resonant was this story for you

On a scale of 1-10 it rates a "my hand's upon a dead man's gun and I'm looking down the sights".

(Red Dead Redemption was great)

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Harrow posted:

Yes, because this is a video game and not a movie, and I was allowed to (in my own time, while playing the game) connect with well-written characters and become involved in their fates. I get such a tiny amount of time with the father in Fallout 3 or the family in Fallout 4 to actually care about them beyond the game basically telling me "you care about these characters." There is a wide gulf between character motivation and player motivation, and I'm saying that Fallout 4 does an exceptionally poor job of motivating the player to care about it.

Other games have made me care about familial relationships by letting me actually play the game within those relationships. I cared about Geralt and Ciri's relationship in The Witcher 3 despite never reading any of the books. I cared about Joel and Ellie's relationship in The Last of Us because the whole game is structured around it. Fallout 4 does not do this. It gives you five minutes with a barely-characterized spouse and a can't-be-characterized-because-he's-an-infant Shaun and then takes them away to serve as a MacGuffin. That's not how you make a player give a poo poo about a character in a video game. It takes more than that to get from "this is the character's motivation" to "this is my motivation as a player."

Yeah, Witcher 3 did it right, but then again, I won't go into that game expecting a blank-slate protagonist, since Geralt is clearly well-defined in a game with a competent writing staff.

Devil's advocate, but I think even Fallout 3 did a better job in making you care than this game, which really says something. Even if you only cared enough to tell your dad gently caress you when you found him, it was still a choice you were able to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Saint Freak posted:

this actually isn't as prevalent as you seem to think it is

• Locked thread