Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

nessin posted:

Even on normal enemies get ridiculously bullet spongey. I've been tempted to knock it down just for the sake of not having to get 5 head shots to kill anything or get 3 reloads of point blank double barreled shotgun blasts into even trash enemies sometimes.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

very hard maximizes the chance for legendary enemies while not making them quite as bad bullet sponges as survival

yes that is the only difference between very hard and survival, three times the amount of health for enemies, A+

Any comment on whether sneaking is super important on Hard/Very Hard? I kind of want to break my usual "sneak with silenced weapons all the time always" thing but also getting mobbed and torn apart by enemies with inflated health that I could've picked off with sneak attacks doesn't sound fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Both F3 and New Vegas have been completed in less than an hour after the tutorial

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frankenoodle posted:

OMG, WTF, Steam. I wanted to move this game to my SSD, so I made a new SteamLibrary folder on my SSD, copied all of the files there. Uninstalled it from where it was, then clicked "Install" and chose the library on my SSD.

"You do not have enough disk space available to run this game."

The files are already there! Just verify them! I only have 21 GB free on the drive now, and it's a 25 GB game.

Did you do this:

quote:

Create a folder in the new location where you’ll store your games. If you’re on Steam, you’ll need to do it through Steam. Head to Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders and click “Add Library Folder”

or did you manually create the new directory path?.

Also there are 3rd party programs that will create a symbolic link for you if that won't work for whatever reason (Steam thinks it is on D drive but it actually runs from C).

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"as someone who played a 50 hour game story in less than 18 hours while not sleeping let me tell you about how bad this story is"
its a good thing the street date was broken and people have been playing for long enough to reach your arbitrary standards of how long is required to critique a story and they all agree the story is atrocious as well

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So do you get an opportunity to build your own settlement rather than just loving around with sanctuary and red rocket yard later?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Harrow posted:

Any comment on whether sneaking is super important on Hard/Very Hard? I kind of want to break my usual "sneak with silenced weapons all the time always" thing but also getting mobbed and torn apart by enemies with inflated health that I could've picked off with sneak attacks doesn't sound fun.
no because sneaking is super broken without high agility and stealth perks and doesn't work properly since it's still the old awful "radial detection system" bethesda keeps using

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
for what it’s worth Fallout 4 has certainly topped its predecessors as my favorite game in the series and sets a new bar for what to expect from a Bethesda RPG in the future.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

So do you get an opportunity to build your own settlement rather than just loving around with sanctuary and red rocket yard later?

No, not from scratch. However there are far more than just those two.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bob NewSCART posted:

Once you tear down most of the houses and replace them, Sanctuary IS your own settlement. There are lots of others, though.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I was so concerned that Fallout 4 might not live up to my expectations that I nearly ran back to Fallout 3 and forget about the whole thing.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
So do weapons not display when they're holstered or is my game bugged? This could seriously hamper my virtual dress up simulator.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ShadowMar posted:

its a good thing the street date was broken and people have been playing for long enough to reach your arbitrary standards of how long is required to critique a story and they all agree the story is atrocious as well

Not by people in this thread.

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

rap music posted:

Did you try and reinstall or did you "verify files"

You need to "Install" when moving a game to a different Steam library. This is even what Steam recommends. You first copy the files, then uninstall it. That makes Steam think it's gone, and you can't "verify the cache". Instead, when you click Install at the new location, the first thing it does is very the files:

I tricked it by moving back just the 4 GB of videos, clicking Install, then immediately moving them to the SSD at the start of the verification process. This works, but only because I only needed a small percentage of space free. If I had had barely any free space, I would have had to do it differently. Probably by clicking Install, then shutting down Steam, then copying the files over, then re-opening Steam. At that point, I think it would re-verify and not need to download anything.

I'm just surprised that it doesn't look for existing files before telling you there's not enough free space.

Moridin920 posted:

Did you do this:

or did you manually create the new directory path?.

Also there are 3rd party programs that will create a symbolic link for you if that won't work for whatever reason (Steam thinks it is on D drive but it actually runs from C).

Yes, I created a Steam Library the correct way. You don't need a third party app to create a symbolic link. The command line tool MKLINK does it really easily. In fact, most of my games were originally installed on C: but I needed the space for other apps, and I have a symlink pointing from C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\SteamApps to some random other hard drive. But now I wanted this one game to actually be on the SSD, so made a new library on C: to hold it.

Frankenoodle fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 10, 2015

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

7seven7 posted:

So do weapons not display when they're holstered or is my game bugged? This could seriously hamper my virtual dress up simulator.

they got rid of it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can put a scarf on my dog.

GOTY all years.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I've only played through the first missions of the game, up until you get the power armor, so I won't pretend that I can have a strong opinion of the game's quality so far, but jfc these are some hideous goddamn faces. Actually it's not even the faces, which look fine when they aren't moving, but the animations are horrendous. Watching dogmeat run across the landscape was hilariously janky. And this script is dire even by Bethesda standards. None of these are deal breakers or even that unexpected in a Bethesda open world game but I guess I expected more given all the reviews slobbing on F4's knob.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Grognak the Barbarian Costume :allears:

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"as someone who played a 50 hour game story in less than 18 hours while not sleeping let me tell you about how bad this story is"

Review copies have been streaming online for about a week. The story, all cutscenes, and all voiced dialogue of story missions have been out for several days. Have you never seen this happen with any AAA release in the past 10 years?

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

ShadowMar posted:

they got rid of it

Booooooooooooo!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I liked VATS better when it stopped time.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Like I know with every Bethesda release people bitch about gamebryo but you can really feel it bursting at the seams in this one. The jank is strong.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Vargs posted:

The keybinds in this game are really hosed. I don't use WASD, which is just fine everywhere else aside from like, free garbage flash games.
Just booted this up and holy poo poo. That character screen.. it's like learning the controls for a space game >_<

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Scripted deathclaw fell back into the hole he jumped out of and disappeared forever.

GOTY.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Lead Belly perk will pay for itself. Radaways are expensive and being able to just munch on anything in your inventory with abandon is way worth it.

Probably cannibalism, too, haha. And gently caress it, while we're at it, almost everything in Endurance sounds too cool to me now that I know what a BITCH radiation is. You can get it from STORMS!

Piper said, "We'd better get out of here if we both want to remain smoothskins." No kidding.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why is anyone even talking about the story yet anyway? The game has been out for like less than 20 hours. Did people speedrun the whole game and then hate the story or just play the opening and hate the whole story or what?

"Why hello there incredibly generic, heterosexual, action movie spouse who exists only to die five seconds into the game! No I don't give the slightest bit of a poo poo about you, nor am I capable of ever doing so. Why do you ask?

Oh. Because I'm going to have to listen to my protagonist mope and whine about them for the rest of the game in complete defiance of how I wanted to build them as a character in a game series that's all about letting you build your protagonist into whoever you want?"

gently caress that noise.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
All three Targets in my area sold out of Nuka-Cola within minutes, leaving me without my delicious eBay income >:(

Anyway, did this game turn out well? Genuine question, not trying to troll. I loved the old games, and even had a blast with the Beth titles. On a scale of "As dumb as New Vegas" to "As dumb as Fallout 3" where does it stand?

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

I haven't played a fallout game in a while. Is there a way to prompt dialogue with other characters before they go instantly hostile?

I'm at some sort of fraternity building filled with super mutants, with a unique one called 'Dead Eye'. I tried killing him to see if he has any cool drops, but I ended up with three caps and a clipboard. Should I keep poking around to find a way to chat with him, or just chalk it up to flavor text stuff?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

All three Targets in my area sold out of Nuka-Cola within minutes, leaving me without my delicious eBay income >:(

Anyway, did this game turn out well? Genuine question, not trying to troll. I loved the old games, and even had a blast with the Beth titles. On a scale of "As dumb as New Vegas" to "As dumb as Fallout 3" where does it stand?

Everything in it is actually really good. It is a good game. The story is somewhat unambitious but not poorly told for what it is. The way perks work now and settlement building are games in themselves.

I LOVE THE ART DIRECTION! Fallout works great with a dab of color to it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frankenoodle posted:

I'm just surprised that it doesn't look for existing files before telling you there's not enough free space.

Oh I see.

Yeah that is a bit silly but it must just do the space check before anything else.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Game is just barely Meh. Played for just shy of 2 hours and there wasn't anything that really stood out, or sucked me into the game.

It's definitely a Bethesda game. I've enjoyed pretty much everything by them up to and including FO3, never got that into New Vegas because I've been kind bored of this format. Same goes for Witcher 3, I got about 2-3 hours into the game and it just felt like the plethora of MMOs I've been playing for the past decade +.

Gameplay mechanics are decent, the shootiness definitely feels a lot tighter than FO3, not sure if I'm a fan of no skills though. It was one of those systems that was fun to game in previous Bethesda titles.

Graphics can be great at times, and really lovely at others. Probably a combination lovely rear end engine, lovely rear end Bethesda animation team, and great set pieces/level design.

The companion AI is brain dead shite. Even worse than Vermintide's AI bots. Solo runs are probably the only way to go until some modder makes a better AI and adds large tits to your companions in one go.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the Steam refund policy. At $70 there wasn't enough fun/enjoyment at that premium price.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Also, it's legitimately retarded that power armor is just lying around and you get it during the very first mission.

Power armor is meant to be incredibly rare and valuable. :doh:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deakul posted:

Also, it's legitimately retarded that power armor is just lying around and you get it during the very first mission.

Power armor is meant to be incredibly rare and valuable. :doh:

Yeah I thought it was a bit early for it but on the other hand it's some shithouse power armor and half of it broke on me fighting the Deathclaw so whatevs.

But yeah it definitely felt like it was blowing its load a little early.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's still PRETTY rare. I've been wandering around and have still only ever found my original suit.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

I liked VATS better when it stopped time.

Same. I think the mouse lag has something to do with it, since by the time I've figured out the precise place to put the cursor to target X, the dude has moved enough that I'm now targeting Y.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Jesus the Mirelurk Queen deals a lot of damage. Pretty cool fight though!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Any must have perks to get*

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i'd care a lot more about shaun if we got to play through his conception. yet again its down to the trailblazers at loverslab to fix bethesda's prudish mistakes

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Same. I think the mouse lag has something to do with it, since by the time I've figured out the precise place to put the cursor to target X, the dude has moved enough that I'm now targeting Y.

use the keyboard to select targets in vats

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any special recommendations for a cowboy/gunslinger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Elderbean posted:

Any special recommendations for a cowboy/gunslinger?

guns

• Locked thread