Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Atoramos posted:

Looking at things I can unlock, there's a lot of pretty bad unlocks (the new pills seem meh, many of the runes, etc). Are there any reasons at all to pursue unlocking these, besides Platinum God status?

I believe a speedrunner tactic is to specifically avoid unlocking lovely items as long as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Has anyone had an opportunity to use the D8 yet? It's absolutely incredible. This has to be one of the best spacebar items in the game.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

ImpAtom posted:

I believe a speedrunner tactic is to specifically avoid unlocking lovely items as long as you can.

Seems pretty dumb to me, but I guess it's always been this way. There should be an upside to unlocking the bad items, to make it less desirable to plan every unlock out.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I had one of those hanging coin keepers turn in to the coin shot in the ultra greed fight, which was nice.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Speaking of coins, I'm kind of surprised they didn't make a Half Dollar or Silver Dollar/Suzan B Anthony Coin item. I'd imagine rather then being actual money, they'd be a pedestal item of some kind.

On the other hand, I'm really disappointed Milk isn't a passive tear modifier like Chocolate Milk or Soy Milk.

There's been a dollar bill available from the start, you just have to Mister Creosote a few slot machines to get it.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 10, 2015

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Uhhhhh, I just got something that gives me the chariot effect every time I enter a room and it is legit broken as gently caress. I haven't had to fire a tear for almost 4 levels. I don't know what it is as I rolled a D6 room and it just showed up. Item page is pretty standard so maybe it's a transformation?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

There's been a dollar bill available from the start, you just have to blow up a few slot machines to get it.

I know. There's a lot of themes and gags in Issac's items, and I figure there's some gag you could have with the a dollar coin item, which is why I'd imagine it wouldn't count as normal money.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

Uhhhhh, I just got something that gives me the chariot effect every time I enter a room and it is legit broken as gently caress. I haven't had to fire a tear for almost 4 levels. I don't know what it is as I rolled a D6 room and it just showed up. Item page is pretty standard so maybe it's a transformation?

Sure you didn't grab Taurus and a bunch of speed up items?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

That's a Taurus + a high speed.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Oh drat, that's Taurus at high speed? I always thought that it was useless because of the speed drop. That was insane. Satan died in seconds.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

Oh drat, that's Taurus at high speed? I always thought that it was useless because of the speed drop. That was insane. Satan died in seconds.

Taurus speeds you up over time and unicorn's you when you hit the cap. If you're already at the cap when you enter a room things get interesting.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

watho posted:

Can't the coin-eyed shopkeepers drop The Quarter as well?

Pretty sure all shopkeepers have always had a low, low chance at dropping the Quarter, I had gotten it several times before Afterbirth.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
My favorite run so far has been getting unicorn stump, Taurus, and Midas touch. By the time the stump wore off, Taurus kicked in.

Sometimes this game is magical.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Any tips for beating greed mode with the lost? I just barely managed to beat the Hush with the lost on a super lucky run but I can't seem to do anything with it in greed mode.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

as always, gnawed leaf/daddy longlegs removes any challenge from the lost

watho posted:

Can't the coin-eyed shopkeepers drop The Quarter as well?

not sure about that but I have had a shopkeeper drop the new coin tear item before

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I managed to get Dr. Fetus + Wizard hat + triple shot + double shot

who's ready for octobombs:

i wound up killing isaac in like 3 hits

my only regret is playing glacially once i pick up dr fetus because i have to bomb everything now

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 10, 2015

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Captain Ironblood posted:

Sometimes this game is magical.

Yeah. Case in point: I was just now dreading doing a Lazarus Hush run since he's such a boring character. Got Curse of the Blind in the Caves and a devil room with two two-heart deals. Said gently caress it, why not. First one was Incubus; second one was Brimstone. :getin:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Zoness posted:

my only regret is playing glacially once i pick up dr fetus because i have to bomb everything now

At least they added another immunity to bombs item and it's fairly common, unlike Pyromaniac.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Of the new challenges, which ones unlock items worth having in the item pool. I just did "Have a heart" and all it gives you is two new pills so that was very much a :smugjones: reaction from me.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

At least they added another immunity to bombs item and it's fairly common, unlike Pyromaniac.

i was having a really hard time with bombs between getting triple shot and wizard shot

wizard shot made it so that it was basically impossible to run into my own bombs, it was a surprisingly wonderful combo

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Speaking of the "new pills" unlocks, does that just mean that you can get more variety in pill types per run, or is it two totally new pill effects that get added to the pool of potential types that are picked from at the start of a run?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

Speaking of the "new pills" unlocks, does that just mean that you can get more variety in pill types per run, or is it two totally new pill effects that get added to the pool of potential types that are picked from at the start of a run?

Rebirth had a total of 9 different pill effects you could encounter per run. They are set at the beginning of the run and assigned to the various appearances/colors that pills can have. 2 New Pills boosts this up to 11 different pills, and the second one to 13 different pills you can encounter in one run.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Taurus speeds you up over time and unicorn's you when you hit the cap. If you're already at the cap when you enter a room things get interesting.

Holy gently caress for some reason I always thought it raised your speed by killing things. :downs:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

To circumvent this speed runners are required to use a RPG save file lol. especially important when it comes to things like races.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

PantsBandit posted:

Of the new challenges, which ones unlock items worth having in the item pool. I just did "Have a heart" and all it gives you is two new pills so that was very much a :smugjones: reaction from me.

Good news!

You just unlocked the ability to give yourself Curse of the Maze.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mr. Maggy posted:

Good news!

Oh, is that what ??? is?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Mr. Maggy posted:

Good news!

Hurray! Incentivizing challenges with objectively bad items! Edmund is a genius!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

Hurray! Incentivizing challenges with objectively bad items! Edmund is a genius!

hey curse of the maze does have its upsides, at least it's not unconditionally bad

and even then it's still better than retro vision

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

AnonSpore posted:

Oh, is that what ??? is?

Yes. It mostly annoys me because now I have to actually pay attention to pill colors.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

So if you have a black candle then ??? does nothing, I'm guessing?

Also Incubus is a really fukken rad item, 10/10 would unlock again.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

as always, gnawed leaf/daddy longlegs removes any challenge from the lost

Do I just keep restarting greed mode until I run into gnawed leaf?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

AnonSpore posted:

So if you have a black candle then ??? does nothing, I'm guessing?

Also Incubus is a really fukken rad item, 10/10 would unlock again.

The Black Candle doesn't cancel out Amnesia, so I think you'd still get a Curse of the Maze effect.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

Do I just keep restarting greed mode until I run into gnawed leaf?

you could if you wanted to. it's not really different from people resetting until they get the holy mantle/dead cat (which would also help a lot)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You can unlock the ability to inflict Curse of the Maze on yourself? Who would want to do that!? :psyduck:

EDIT: It pierces Black Candle too.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
The brains challenge is completely doable until the Chest. But there's just too much poo poo going on with all the bosses like double cage and double adversary, and my health just melts away. Argh, why'd the challenge have to go all the way down

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh, how lame. Challenge 25 unlocks "Re-Lax" and "???", Challenge 24 is "Addicted" (full heart damage for room) and "Percs" (half damage for the room, basically the wafer)

Here I was about to bitch about each challenge giving you a negative pill to "balance out" the positive pill, but 25's is barely a positive pill. :psyduck:

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Dammerung posted:

The Black Candle doesn't cancel out Amnesia, so I think you'd still get a Curse of the Maze effect.

it does if you get the candle AFTER amnesia. but yeah, taking garbage pills will overwrite the candle for that floor.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

incubus is the devil familiar lilith starts with, and yes killing hush with lilith unlocks it as a regular item anyone can find

Fun fact: Lilith's Incubus is an intrinsic part of her and isn't considered an item. This means it can't be rerolled away. It also means you can pick up a second Incubus.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Is there a list of really good Hush/Megastan/Greed/Lilith in general unlocks (basically new unlocks) that are really good and I should go for first? Yes that does include the Lost's stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

AnonSpore posted:

Is there a list of really good Hush/Megastan/Greed/Lilith in general unlocks (basically new unlocks) that are really good and I should go for first? Yes that does include the Lost's stuff.

Megastan only unlocks co-op babies, so you can skip him for now. Anyway, in no particular order I'd go for the following:
  • The Lamb with Lilith
  • Donating 68 coins to the Greed Machine
  • Hush with Lazarus
  • Hush with Eden (for novelty)
  • Hush with Lilith
  • Hust with Azazel