Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

In case you can't read the Raid Rewards in Guild Wars 2 article, let me quote the salient information here:

quote:

a new map currency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

In case you can't read the Raid Rewards in Guild Wars 2 article, let me quote the salient information here:

Lol at anyone who thought these raids would be designed competently.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Jesus, why are the new armor statlines so expensive to craft? Each piece needs 10 linseed oil on top of the regular mats. That adds like 10g+ per piece.

Is that the price to pay for a decent condition damage build?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

gandlethorpe posted:

Jesus, why are the new armor statlines so expensive to craft? Each piece needs 10 linseed oil on top of the regular mats. That adds like 10g+ per piece.

Is that the price to pay for a decent condition damage build?

I'm pretty sure you can craft any of the new stat combinations with the standard mats, using the appropriate insignia. I know you can with Marauder as that's how I crafted my gear, and it's only slightly more expensive because of the mats used for the insignias themselves.

The oiled stuff is used for new skins, like auric items.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Liberatore posted:

I'm pretty sure you can craft any of the new stat combinations with the standard mats, using the appropriate insignia. I know you can with Marauder as that's how I crafted my gear, and it's only slightly more expensive because of the mats used for the insignias themselves.

The oiled stuff is used for new skins, like auric items.
Marauder and Crusader use the old exotic crafting stuff, all the others that are bought with map currencies use oiled versions of the old exotic stuff which as noted use 5 linseed oil per component (so panel+lining or hilt+blade is 10) which is expensive as hell currently given you need 200 flax seeds per 10 oil.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

How do I make mesmers fun to play? I have an 80 mesmer I leveled mainly through crafting, mostly because every time I tried to actually play her I'd get bored and park her back in LA in favor of someone else. Mesmer just feels really slow for some reason, and whatever I pop a phantasm on seems to get focused down and dies two seconds later. It would be great if I could actually learn to like mesmer though, because I play with my wife and the portals would really come in handy. Is there some secret to making mesmer fun that I don't know?

Also someone tell me about berserker. I've got a warrior close to 80 I could try pushing into HoT if berserker is amazing

Karl L
Nov 9, 2015

I spent money on an image and a few lines of text.
So I tried some ecto gambling. I lost 200 ectos and 75g. I don't think I'll be trying that again anytime soon.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Not a Step posted:

How do I make mesmers fun to play? I have an 80 mesmer I leveled mainly through crafting, mostly because every time I tried to actually play her I'd get bored and park her back in LA in favor of someone else. Mesmer just feels really slow for some reason, and whatever I pop a phantasm on seems to get focused down and dies two seconds later. It would be great if I could actually learn to like mesmer though, because I play with my wife and the portals would really come in handy. Is there some secret to making mesmer fun that I don't know?

Also someone tell me about berserker. I've got a warrior close to 80 I could try pushing into HoT if berserker is amazing

Play Chronomancer, from what I've heard.

Mercurius posted:

Marauder and Crusader use the old exotic crafting stuff, all the others that are bought with map currencies use oiled versions of the old exotic stuff which as noted use 5 linseed oil per component (so panel+lining or hilt+blade is 10) which is expensive as hell currently given you need 200 flax seeds per 10 oil.

Apparently you can get 5 bottles of Linseed oil from one of the challenges in the 2nd (?) chapter of the HoT story. I do not know if this is repeatable.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

wtf is with ANet this expansion

even the gem store items are bugged

:v:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Not a Step posted:

Mesmer is pretty rotational in open world stuff because they don't have a lot of skills like Backstab or 100 Blades that you can just spam to annihilate mobs. Usually it's a matter of using your phantasms and then whatever damage skill you have on your weapon until the mob is low enough to kill with Mind Wrack. Part of what can make it tedious is if you don't have enough damage to kill mobs in one rotation and have to wait for another Mind Wrack or phantasm.

On the other hand, if you do have the damage, the new traits in chronomancer make shatter builds really good by reducing the CDs enough to where you can use most of your skills every fight. Wells are also a welcomed range/AoE addition.

My advice would be to give a high damage shatter build a chance and see if you like it. It's a high-risk:high- reward playstyle but it is a ton of fun.

Edit: Shield is also a ton of fun and is really useful in HoT content because of the CC it has. And the block. You can use 5 and basically chase it through a pack of mobs, stunning them and hitting them with your sword. I'll also reiterate that CC is really, really good in HoT and what mesmer lacks in personal damage it more than make up for with CC, although the damage part really isn't that bad since the last balance pass.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 10, 2015

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

AmericanGeeksta posted:

MF Infusion it is.

And looks like I'll consume all that Luck too. MF percentage going through the roof today.

I know it's too late, but MF isn't that great. It only affects items directly dropped by mobs (and spvp chests that simulate that). It doesn't affect chests, containers, bags, whatever. A great alternative with the release of HoT/masteries is the XP infusion.

If you care enough, you can swap out the infusion with the fractal mastery that unlocks the vendor.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Generic Octopus posted:

So, still no pics of the legendary armor?

Is it this? because lmbo.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Square just keeps getting lazier and lazier with their remakes.

Karl L
Nov 9, 2015

Hefty posted:

That greatsword is absolutely sexy. I NEED IT

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Here's more info about the rewards from raids: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/raid-rewards-in-guildwars2/

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Hefty posted:

Nah that's a mash of light armor.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Generic Octopus posted:

Looks like the Trickster's armor with Carapace armor shoulders. Could be wrong about the boots though, and I'm not sure if there's even a helmet in the picture.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Solumin posted:

Looks like the Trickster's armor with Carapace armor shoulders. Could be wrong about the boots though, and I'm not sure if there's even a helmet in the picture.

I'm glad I like the minimal look from the cheaper armor sets. The expensive ones are too baroque most of the times, too much ornamental stuff and bling. (e: assuming these are expensive or rare drops whatever)

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Generic Octopus posted:

Solumin posted:

Whoops, you're right.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

daspope posted:

I know it's too late, but MF isn't that great. It only affects items directly dropped by mobs (and spvp chests that simulate that). It doesn't affect chests, containers, bags, whatever. A great alternative with the release of HoT/masteries is the XP infusion.

If you care enough, you can swap out the infusion with the fractal mastery that unlocks the vendor.

Well drat, RIP my laurels. Didn't even think of the XP one for Masteries.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Hefty posted:

Whoops, you're right.

I had the same reaction you did though. It looks really out of place for so-called legendary armor, and it's right next to the section labeled "Legendary Armor"... Thankfully, it isn't actually legendary armor.

mike12345 posted:

I'm glad I like the minimal look from the cheaper armor sets. The expensive ones are too baroque most of the times, too much ornamental stuff and bling. (e: assuming these are expensive or rare drops whatever)

Plus the minimal armor won't look as bad when it's stretched out on your Charr :v:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Illuyankas posted:

:ughh:

And gently caress these map wide events, the game just doesn't have the in game tools to properly deal with them, they just went full retard after Tequalt.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Was expecting Ausra butt

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Totbot posted:

For an MMO, the official forum is more or less just a place for awful MMO players to bitch and whine. Its basically there to contain those types of players. This lets other forums have slightly less of those people. Other companies, like Blizzard, have been using Reddit and Twitter more and more it seems too.

Like the Reddit subreddit isn't great, but its still miles better than the official forums.

The lack of ANet communication was a huge issue for a long time, and I don't know if they've gotten any better. I can understand that they don't want to give out details of upcoming things and then have those plans axed, but it would be nice if they would comment more on many relevant topics people are waiting feedback on, such as bugs, balance etc. instead of "yay cookies".

All in all I feel the subreddit is way too fanboyish and the official forum is way too negative. So I guess the truth is somewhere in between.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have been away for a week or so, has solo PvE gotten better? How is GOON doing

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have been away for a week or so, has solo PvE gotten better? How is GOON doing

GOON is dead after failing to beat raids, join SFD.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

tarbrush posted:

Was expecting Asura butt

You know, I realized I should have done that right as I clicked the submit button.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

ItBurns posted:

Mesmer is pretty rotational in open world stuff because they don't have a lot of skills like Backstab or 100 Blades that you can just spam to annihilate mobs. Usually it's a matter of using your phantasms and then whatever damage skill you have on your weapon until the mob is low enough to kill with Mind Wrack. Part of what can make it tedious is if you don't have enough damage to kill mobs in one rotation and have to wait for another Mind Wrack or phantasm.

On the other hand, if you do have the damage, the new traits in chronomancer make shatter builds really good by reducing the CDs enough to where you can use most of your skills every fight. Wells are also a welcomed range/AoE addition.

My advice would be to give a high damage shatter build a chance and see if you like it. It's a high-risk:high- reward playstyle but it is a ton of fun.

Edit: Shield is also a ton of fun and is really useful in HoT content because of the CC it has. And the block. You can use 5 and basically chase it through a pack of mobs, stunning them and hitting them with your sword. I'll also reiterate that CC is really, really good in HoT and what mesmer lacks in personal damage it more than make up for with CC, although the damage part really isn't that bad since the last balance pass.

So sword/shield for HoT? What do I do in the meantime while unlocking the spec?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

You can run pretty much the same shatter build with the greatsword than as a chronomancer but it will of course be better with Chronophantasma. For open world that's what I used for a long time - GS / Sword-Focus. Signet of the ether as healing skill, since it recharges phantasms.

Some people run Sword-Sword / Sword-Pistol but for open world I'm-a going full GS shatter with Sword-Shield as the other set.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 11, 2015

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
Dumb question, do I need to finish my personal story to start HoT?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

No you don't.

Karl L
Nov 9, 2015

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Dumb question, do I need to finish my personal story to start HoT?

I recommend doing Living World Season 2 if you can though. It will fill in some gaps you might experience during the HoT story.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

Karl L posted:

I recommend doing Living World Season 2 if you can though. It will fill in some gaps you might experience during the HoT story.

Hmmm okay. I'm at the level 50 point in the personal chapter, as I went from 50-80 during the Mad King event. Does LWS2 still cost gems?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yes. Unless you want the items you could always just watch it on YouTube or something

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You can get those rewards from the laurel vendor too, like the gask mask aka best head skin.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
Hmmm maybe I'll just go straight into HoT and potentially go back and do Living Season 2 when I can afford gems again.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Hmmm maybe I'll just go straight into HoT and potentially go back and do Living Season 2 when I can afford gems again.

If you really need a summary of LS2 for HoT:

Generic Octopus posted:

You found an egg from Glint. Caithe stole the egg. Anet took a giant poo poo on Caithe in flashback missions. Mordremoth destroyed the pact fleet and started taking control of the sylvari.

The End.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Question about Ascended Amulets.

I recently hit 80 for the first time (as I've mentioned before), and in my Youtube bingeing, I came across a "Gearing at 80" or something similar video. Basically, the video suggests getting an Ascended Amulet as one of your first ascended pieces, particularly if you can get the 20 Laurel + 250 BoH version (which I can).

My first 80 is a Warrior, so I assume I should get one of the Berserker stat set amulets, but the video suggests the one with the Utility slot and getting either the Magic Find or Karma Increase Infusion (+20% MF and +15% Karma respectively). Is this good advice, or poo poo? For reference, I have currently a +51% MF account wide, and a shitload of banked Luck (not sure if I will ever have an Artificer).

I'm a bit late to the party here, but has anything significantly changed about gearing a fresh 80 since HoT came out? I assume not on the crafted side, since anything using flax is going to be super-expensive, but are there any new sources of cheap starter gear to look out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Generic Octopus posted:

If you really need a summary of LS2 for HoT:

I did the entire LS2 and genuinely did not know any of that happened, tyvm

• Locked thread