Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Also, when they are filming the show, doesn't he also record a whole bunch of episodes of the podcast pretty much all at once, thus further burning him out on his own show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
He's also producing two shows for NBC's dumbass streaming network. One of them sounds funny!

I think the TV show is great, I wish it got more love.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I've gotten behind on the episodes, but I just finished that run of Time Keeper, Claudia O'Doherty, Arphan Black and Mailer Daemon and god drat that is a killer streak only broken by a pretty bad Wompler ep.

"The first thing I told him was I HAVE AIDS! The next thing I told him was gently caress ME HARDER!"

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

rapeface posted:

I've gotten behind on the episodes, but I just finished that run of Time Keeper, Claudia O'Doherty, Arphan Black and Mailer Daemon and god drat that is a killer streak only broken by a pretty bad Wompler ep.

"The first thing I told him was I HAVE AIDS! The next thing I told him was gently caress ME HARDER!"

I've listened to Arphan Black so many times already. Tatiana's "What are you feelings about women?" might be my favorite question on CBB all year.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The issue is being exhausted. Production days are long 12-14 hours typically and I know for a fact IFC gives them a very tight budget. On top of that they had an insane episode order which means they're working their asses off to film episodes and write them. I'd imagine between all his side poo poo and this show he's not had many days off.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I was really surprised they got such a huge order when they did that 40 episode season. How can they not expect the show to be creatively diluted from that?

It'd be cool if Scott did some occasional weeks off with rotating guest hosts to try an catch up. Turn the show into "Talkin' Tang!" for a week with Zouks, or have an out of character PFT, Daly or Lapkus take the reins for a few shows.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 6, 2015

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Oh wow I had no idea they were up to 40 ep seasons. Crazy.

about the tight budget-
I forgot where I heard it, probably another podcast, but reggie was complaining that the show only paid him 7 grand a season back when he was on. I'm super not surprised he left.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

The current season was 40 for 2015, but I believe they're back down to 20 next year

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
It's an absurd amount of episodes/stuff they have to come up with.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

soggybagel posted:

It's an absurd amount of episodes/stuff they have to come up with.

So you're saying they... generate a lot of content?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Evil Agita posted:

Oh wow I had no idea they were up to 40 ep seasons. Crazy.

about the tight budget-
I forgot where I heard it, probably another podcast, but reggie was complaining that the show only paid him 7 grand a season back when he was on. I'm super not surprised he left.

If that's true, he's making roughly what a Union Background person is making, assuming they shot 5 days a week for seven weeks. If they shot more, he made less than some of the people walking behind the actors on Criminal Minds.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

If that's true, he's making roughly what a Union Background person is making, assuming they shot 5 days a week for seven weeks. If they shot more, he made less than some of the people walking behind the actors on Criminal Minds.

I used to work at Abso. It's all non-union.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Instead of hit or miss 40 episode seasons I wish IFC used the money for more Birthday Boys or Garfunkel and Oates.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Dacap posted:

Instead of hit or miss 40 episode seasons I wish IFC used the money for more Birthday Boys or Garfunkel and Oates.

same :[

birthday boys season 2 was pure gold, god I'm so sad its done

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

boxcarhobo posted:

same :[

birthday boys season 2 was pure gold, god I'm so sad its done

Yeah, I thought the second season was really strong. Some of the sketches were almost close to Mr. Show level.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Good ep, mulaney was funny, both people doing new characters, no catchphrase/canon stuff, good ep

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

And it sounds like we might be getting another Too Much Tuna appearance real soon, which is always welcome.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, the way they were talking about it I almost wondered if they were gonna be recording that episode the same day as this one, but who knows.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
John mulaney is funny. Weird how his show sucked.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

soggybagel posted:

He strikes me far more as some kind of talk show personality than a sitcom lead personality.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

soggybagel posted:

I remember hearing other comics speak highly about the Mulaney pilot long before it found it's home at Fox, like at least a couple of years before. By the time it got to air, most of the jokes were recycled bits from New In Town. I actually enjoyed the next couple episodes after that, there were some good bits in them, but I feel Mulaney was trying so hard to be the next "Seinfeld" that no one told him it couldn't be the exact same show.

Anyways, I would love to see Mulaney host a QI-like panel show. Talk show host I don't see, but I think he'd do really well as the ringleader to a group of comedians.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

soggybagel posted:

100% Dude is quick as hell, never goes with an obvious joke in those chatty kinda situations, and just a pitch perfect standup, you can see why he's held in such high esteem. Even him getting on SNL, people were very hyped for him. But his show was just so normal and multi-cam and had a laugh track...almost unwatchable. His interview in vulture recently was surprisingly defensive http://www.vulture.com/2015/11/john-mulaney-opens-up-about-shows-cancellation.html Basically said he wouldn't change a thing.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Before the pilot I was really hoping he would get Weekend Update on SNL and I really wish he had :(

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I don't like the 8 minutes of ads in every Earwolf show now. Scripps ._.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

I don't like the 8 minutes of ads in every Earwolf show now. Scripps ._.

Scott's pretty verbose in his ad reads too. I mean, I appreciate him including jokes in them but they're very long.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is there really anyone that's going to sit through an 8 minute ad break

I was already skipping them when they were like 2 minutes

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I listen to them just in case Scott mentions the location of a secret stash of gold bars one of these days.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I just hammer the +15s button until the ad is over. No biggie.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I do like how absurd Scott has gotten with the ad reads none the less.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

ManoliIsFat posted:

His interview in vulture recently was surprisingly defensive http://www.vulture.com/2015/11/john-mulaney-opens-up-about-shows-cancellation.html Basically said he wouldn't change a thing.
Some of it is cognitive bias (defend my previous choices as rational, or accept I'm irrational), some if it is good business sense. People won't want to give you another project if you poo poo on your old one.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Also, it's a bad look when the writers, most of them personal friends, whom you spent 14 hour days with for 6 months get on twitter and read that you think the show sucked.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The show did suck though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gino's the host on the new With Special Guest http://www.earwolf.com/episode/jon-gabrus/

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Gino's the host on the new With Special Guest http://www.earwolf.com/episode/jon-gabrus/

Before I listen to this someone please let me know what percentage is about Jon Gabrus's quickly decreasing self-confidence. It's getting depressing.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

65%

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's some stuff about how he's going to die a lot sooner than he was expecting

It's a good ep

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
can confirm its a good ep

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

detectivemonkey posted:

Before I listen to this someone please let me know what percentage is about Jon Gabrus's quickly decreasing self-confidence. It's getting depressing.

Don't worry, one of these days he'll definitely get back into crossfit and rugby and stop eating 50 hot wings in one sitting.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I love Reverend Parsimony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
Bob trying to get PFT to participate at the start is great.