Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I wonder if the Japanese will actually build their Dallas - Houston line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well when we let the Spanish build those toll roads people went berserk over it and now TURF is one of the most powerful lobbies in the state.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Well when we let the Spanish build those toll roads people went berserk over it and now TURF is one of the most powerful lobbies in the state.

The Japanese are claiming they need no US public funding, since from their perspective the land is so cheap.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

It's easily worse than 635 in Dallas.

635 is actually pretty good now, they added a bunch of lanes and there isn't much construction anywhere along the areas that previously used to get really congested.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One of these days ill do a big old effort post about TxDOT funding, planning and construction in order to haunt your dreams.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

One of these days ill do a big old effort post about TxDOT funding, planning and construction in order to haunt your dreams.

Please do this.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

oldpainless posted:

Building a rail system doesn't help "keep Austin weird" hth
Sure it does, it makes Austin weird in that it somehow has a rail system when so much of the rest of the US doesn't.

radical meme posted:

Please do this.
Same, do it.

Reading up on that Trans-Texas Corridor crap was insane, and I'm sure I only scratched the surface of the insanity there.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zoux posted:

I have some exposure to that too so I'd be real interested.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I don't get what's so weird about Austin.

It's pretty segregated for a major Texas city, is that what they mean?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

boom boom boom posted:

Austin used to be weird but that kind of faded away as it's population boomed. Now hipsters try to pretend they are weird.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just saw infowars filming in the Dallas love field airport. All I caught was "government preying on..." as I hustled by to get my chili's baby back ribs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

boom boom boom posted:

The ironic thing about "Keep Austin Weird" is that it's actually exactly in line with another Texas slogan: Don't Mess With Texas. In both cases, you have an advertising campaign for a relatively innocent issue (supporting small businesses for "Weird", and preventing littering with "Texas") that got turned into a political statement about the region in question.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Austin is pretty drat weird compared to other major cities in Texas. It's probably diluted now due to the population boom, but it's still extremely liberal, tolerant and laid-back.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

boom boom boom posted:

There are a few factors at play here (some of which I've mentioned in this thread, some of which I haven't)...

First off, for a long time Austin was a college town that was big enough to support a fair amount of business in the entertainment/retail/restaurant areas, but too small for major chains to give a poo poo about (so they never bothered opening up here and choking out the local stuff). So as a result, you had lots of interesting small businesses that managed to get started here (some of which even went on to become pretty big chains of their own).

Also, thanks to a lot of con-job construction during the Savings & Loan crisis of the 80s, Austin had so much extra development that local papers were calling it the "hollow city", with the biggest amount of empty commercial space per capita of any city in America. That lead to the "Slacker" era of the 90s, where rents were so insanely low that a UT drop-out could get a temp job at the IRS, work that job from January until April, and make enough money to pay their rent for the whole year. (I know people who actually did that back then.)

So in summary: poo poo was cheap, there were little-to-no barriers of entry keeping people from starting new things, and there was a fairly open-minded, young, tech-savvy crowd that would be willing to sample the new stuff you started. Also, there was plenty of time for someone to sit around and decide what they actually wanted to do with themselves after college (or after dropping out). This was a great recipe for generating some really creative, off-beat businesses and artistic endeavors. (Granted, this environment also resulted in the creation of Dell Computer and InfoWars.com, so it's not all the land of milk and honey.)

Oh yea, and one more thing... People moved to Austin to be in Austin (or to go to UT, but the ones who go just for UT and don't like it leave after graduation). It's a city of immigrants from other parts of Texas (and now from around the country). People come to Austin because they it wasn't like the rest of Texas, all suburban-sprawl blandness and mega-church religious values. If you thought going to the mall was an acceptable way to spend a Saturday, you probably wouldn't bother leaving Houston (or DFW). The "weird" people self-selected their way here because of the culture, and it kinda became self-sustaining.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

enraged_camel posted:

Austin is pretty drat weird compared to other major cities in Texas. It's probably diluted now due to the population boom, but it's still extremely liberal, tolerant and laid-back.

How is that different from Houston or San Antonio?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

boom boom boom posted:

How is that different from Houston or San Antonio?

They're not white enough.

Like literally, Austin is billed as "laid back and liberal" in a PNW sense, aka the whitest region in the nation.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 11, 2015

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Pretty much every major city in Texas I think leans liberal, but with the amount of gerrymandering going on throughout the state who loving knows anymore.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Austin is the person that never stops telling you about how many black/brown/yellow friends they have while still crossing to the other side of the street when they see a homeless person

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm Middle Eastern myself so maybe there's some stuff that goes over my head. I do love white chicks, though.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Austin is the city version of a ukelele cover of a popular rap track from twenty years ago

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

Pretty much every major city in Texas I think leans liberal, but with the amount of gerrymandering going on throughout the state who loving knows anymore.

I've always thought of Houston as liberal leaning but how did HERO lose so badly in a liberal leaning city?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Spacebump posted:

How did Hero lose so badly in a liberal leaning city?

People were opposed to a law that legalized rape in public bathrooms.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spacebump posted:

I've always thought of Houston as liberal leaning but how did HERO lose so badly in a liberal leaning city?

Literally every argument I heard against it was the trans people in bathrooms. So basically because LGB weren't willing to throw T under the bus (like what has happened historically) to get their goals accomplished.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?

Spacebump posted:

Houston is a modern city full of interesting busy people, the city is surrounded by a loop, outside the loop is a bunch of conservative suburbs full of old assholes and pearl-clutchers that actually vote.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

PopRocks posted:

Houston is a modern city full of interesting busy people, the city is surrounded by a loop, outside the loop is a bunch of conservative suburbs full of old assholes and pearl-clutchers that actually vote.

Do those suburbs not vote in their city's elections?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PopRocks posted:

Which have also been aggressively annexed by the city in a desperate attempt to prevent an Atlanta or Dallas situation with a million little bedroom municipalities leaching off the central city.

Comes back to haunt the city sometimes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

PopRocks posted:

So where were all these people when Houston was one of the first cities to elect an openly gay mayor?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

oldpainless posted:

So where were all these people when Houston was one of the first cities to elect an openly gay mayor?

The "No on 1" campaign was extremely well organized, well funded, and convinced about 50% of the electorate that proposition 1 literally legalized raping children in womens bathrooms.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That campaign worked on me and half my trans friends too, it was really really well-done.

I want to have my long-denied civil rights as a gay person, but not bad enough to legalize rape and child molestation.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Seriously gently caress Houston. Can we vote next year to just give it to Louisiana? Also Dallas to Oklahoma.

We just need San Antonio and Austin.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

jaegerx posted:

Seriously gently caress Houston. Can we vote next year to just give it to Louisiana? Also Dallas to Oklahoma.

Not fond of blacks and Asians, I take it?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

jaegerx posted:

FINALLY an all white Texas with maybe a few Mexicans for tacos, just like Sam Houston woulda wanted.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

FINALLY an all white Texas with maybe a few Mexicans for tacos, just like Sam Houston woulda wanted.

Considering San Antonio is like 59% Hispanic I don't get it. I'd also get rid of Austin if I could but I have to travel there for work.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Bushiz posted:

Austin is the city version of a ukelele cover of a popular rap track from twenty years ago

So it's literally Dynamite Hack

Boyz in the Hood

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jaegerx posted:

Considering San Antonio is like 59% Hispanic I don't get it.

They're 46% Hispanic-White (26% non-Hispanic White).

For comparison, Houston is 25% non-Hispanic White, with a much higher Black population.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not political but, with all the bad news, just a friendly reminder that Wurstfest is going on in New Braunfels this week, thru Sunday. It's always a good time so, enjoy yourselves if you can.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

radical meme posted:

Not political but, with all the bad news, just a friendly reminder that Wurstfest is going on in New Braunfels this week, thru Sunday. It's always a good time so, enjoy yourselves if you can.

Going Sunday. I demand funnel cakes and bratwurst.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fun Fun Fun Fest had a pretty drat good lineup this year. As a whimsically ironic Austinite, Gogol Bordello would have been cool to see. Also, as a whimsically ironic Austinite, I can't afford even second-tier festivals like FFFF

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

jaegerx posted:

gently caress you too buddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

boom boom boom posted:

Not fond of blacks and Asians, I take it?

The whole "Austin is so white" line is concern-trolling bullshit from people outside of Austin who want to try and find some kind of flaw with the place. Meanwhile they are sitting in cities that are fully under the thumb of evangelical churches, real estate developers, and/or the oil industry. Or they're in suburbs that as so segregated they make Austin look like the Bronx (hint: don't try and talk about how Dallas is so much more diverse than Austin when you actually live in Plano).

Not that Austin couldn't use more diversity. Of course, when we do things that try to help increase the diversity of the city (like affirmative action for UT enrollment or having sanctuary-city policies that would be less harsh on undocumented immigrants) the rest of the state goes into overdrive to smack that poo poo down through legislation and/or court action.