Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

strong bird posted:

No. The entire game engine is tied to the frame rate, again

this video is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4EHjFkVw-s

redwalrus fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

MisterBibs posted:

Same. I think the mouse lag has something to do with it, since by the time I've figured out the precise place to put the cursor to target X, the dude has moved enough that I'm now targeting Y.

I just use S and W to target body parts. One press of W is always the head for a humanoid, and that's usually where I want to aim. Then I use Q to queue up shots, and E to commit. I'm sure you could easily learn the number of button presses required to target specific limbs for other humanoids if you like crippling them. For monsters, like Mirelurks, maybe the head is actually below the default body, and might be S to target it. I'm not sure.

Otherwise, I agree, it's a pain when they are moving around, especially when crouching where the zones are all overlapping.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ashgromnies posted:

so someone in GBS said that this game would be on sale for 1/3rd off on CD key resale sites on launch day

i don't trust any i see on google, where would you goons recommend buying a copy for PC?

Generally Green Man Gaming is the reference point for that. A lot of times its listed there for full price but they have a checkout code for 25-33‰ off and is shareable and reusable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Frankenoodle posted:

I just use S and W to target body parts. One press of W is always the head for a humanoid, and that's usually where I want to aim. Then I use Q to queue up shots, and E to commit. I'm sure you could easily learn the number of button presses required to target specific limbs for other humanoids if you like crippling them. For monsters, like Mirelurks, maybe the head is actually below the default body, and might be S to target it. I'm not sure.

Otherwise, I agree, it's a pain when they are moving around, especially when crouching where the zones are all overlapping.

In general the UI is designed for console-first and then mouse support is tacked on, so yeah lots of things feel really awkward to use the mouse on.

Just use keyboard for VATS selection. You don't need to aim since its loving VATS.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

That immersive clothing pack is not nearly complete. Where are my Uggs, leggings and north face jackets?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How high are people bumping their ugrids with non reference 980tis at 1440p without it turning into a loving slideshow? Also extra grass and that poo poo

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Man, I barely started the and I'm getting my rear end kicked left and right. Can't even walk through a town without an explosive smacking me in the face for 75% health damage.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I just noticed that "x% chance to disarm melee attacker" armor works when enemies shoot you. Everyone just starts dropping their guns when they shoot at me now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I have an i5 and a 970 and I run with everything on high or ultra settings, and I'm getting 60+ fps everywhere, so you need to fix your computer brah, sorry.

40? Ouch. And you're shooting for 120+? Hah. Yeaaaaah tweak your poo poo. Run virus scans? :lol:

If dropping your settings doesn't improve your frame rate then you're probably CPU-bound for some reason. Do you have like chrome with a million tabs open in the background or something? Tons of processes doing background processing?

Is your hard drive fragmented? Fallout does do a lot of data streaming.

I have a similar PC and I had to turn down Shadow Distance to medium because I had some large frame drops in certain cityish areas.

I have no idea why I needed to turn that setting so low since the game isn't even close to maxing out my GPU or CPU with it.

Going from Shadow Distance high to medium was literally a 25 FPS increase in some locations.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 10, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Could someone critique my Laser Science Man build that I'm putting together? I'm probably not going to be VATS-ing every time my AP is refilled--I probably kill 75% of enemies without using VATS if I can help it--but I honestly couldn't think of anywhere better to put my points than into all those Luck perks. (If there are great perks in Strength, Charisma, or any other SPECIAL stat that I'm overlooking, please let me know, because I sincerely dumped into Luck because I couldn't think of anything more useful.)

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=76!1d4514!1d4332!ff71244244!235521c983333

(Required level, of course, is not accurate because of bobbleheads and the You're SPECIAL book, though I'll probably be putting the You're SPECIAL point into Charisma so it'll be easier to max it out with chems/clothes.)

EDIT: Forgot I also wanted to level Rifleman :v: It's fixed now!

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 10, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Harrow posted:

Could someone critique my Laser Science Man build that I'm putting together? I'm probably not going to be VATS-ing every time my AP is refilled--I probably kill 75% of enemies without using VATS if I can help it--but I honestly couldn't think of anywhere better to put my points than into all those Luck perks. (If there are great perks in Strength, Charisma, or any other SPECIAL stat that I'm overlooking, please let me know, because I sincerely dumped into Luck because I couldn't think of anything more useful.)

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=76!19414!1d4332!ff71244244!235521c983333

Hey I'm also doing a Laser-Science Man and came to ask for advice. Nice timing.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

How high are people bumping their ugrids with non reference 980tis at 1440p without it turning into a loving slideshow? Also extra grass and that poo poo

I just slapped mine on Ultra and never dipped below 60FPS, I am probably missing some eye candy options though.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is pretty underwhelming even given my limited expectations. Even the stuff that looked like an improvement isn't really that great (namely the combat).

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

afkmacro posted:

enable fps overlay through steam settings and it works on every steam game from now on

Also any achievements tied to difficulty setting?

:tipshat:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

I just slapped mine on Ultra and never dipped below 60FPS, I am probably missing some eye candy options though.

Yeah thats what I did yesterday but Im planning on turning godrays to low and use whatever performance gains I get from that to bump ugrids in the inis for better draw distance. Im guessing 7 would be a good compromise between performance and fidelity but if someone has run it fine at 9 I'll try that.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

anatomi posted:

Learning the hard way that melee isn't very fun. Any of ya'll know if there's a safe way to redistribute skill points and perks? Don't wanna restart...

I ended up deciding that I didn't care for my build and wanted to respec, so here's how I did it:

For stats, punch in:
player.setav strength 3
player.setav luck 8
etc.
You may want to unequip any +stat gear before you do this because it may get confusing otherwise.

For perks, you need to figure out what ID the perk in question has. So if you want to remove the Big Leagues perk, you would type
help "Big Leagues" 4 (quotation marks are necessary for perks with a space in them)
This will give you a few Big Leagues entries, one for each level of the perk. You probably just want to keep removing the IDs until you can see that the perk is definitely gone. To do that you type:
player.removeperk 0048da1 (assuming 0048da1 was the code for the perk)

Same poo poo for adding perks, except you use player.addperk instead. Note that I did come across one perk (Aquaboy) which I could not get the ID for and I dunno why. Maybe it's got a weird name since it can either be Aquaboy or Aquagirl. Might be the case for some other perks as well. Also note that screen with all of the animated cartoon Pip Boys will not update your perks in real-time as you use these commands. You want to be looking at the screen where it just shows you a list of all of your currently active perks.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 10, 2015

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Honestly disappointed. Most of the time it feels like I'm playing a mod.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Anyone else having this issue.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Medic seems ridiculously good, as is lead belly. At rank 4 a single medkit is all it takes to completely heal you, and a single radaway cures all radiation and work really fast.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Do you need to keep the magazines you find in your inventory for them to work?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

what the gently caress, if you hit V while in your pipboy it zooms in on the UI. why doesn't it tell you this anywhere???

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I'm downloading the new GTX 960m driver. Tried starting the game without the update and I got a flickering screen before I shut the game down and then it refused to launch after that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
How many of you guys with graphical glitches are running current-gen video cards with up-to-date drivers?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Medic seems ridiculously good, as is lead belly. At rank 4 a single medkit is all it takes to completely heal you, and a single radaway cures all radiation and work really fast.

It does seem pretty good, but I'd probably just go to rank 3 on it rather than 4. Rank 4 only benefits you if you're using these things at 1%-19% health remaining, with less benefit the higher you are. I dunno about you but I don't tend to wait until I'm at 1% health to use a stimpack, or have lost 99% of my max hp to radiation before I eat a RadAway.

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

Cao Ni Ma posted:

God rays then shadows.

Shadow distance is the biggest hit to performance, I read on gamersnexus or something. 17% performance difference between max and min settings.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

jadebullet posted:

Anyone else having this issue.

:stare:

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

sauer kraut posted:

What you pay for it, and how much more is the MSI 970 Gaming 4G instead?
It's not a very good card, but tbh nothing under 300$ is since the stock of surplus 239$ AMD 290's ran out.

$220 after rebate - I ordered this one:

ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 960 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5 128-bit DisplayPort HDMI 2.0 DVI-I Graphics Card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VRSERUI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_h.Lqwb249GACW

Just turned on the Steam fps overlay - I'm currently only getting around 20-25 in the museum in the first town :/

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Do you need to keep the magazines you find in your inventory for them to work?

I hope not, because I've been selling all mine.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Are flamers in this game and if so are they energy based? Im planning on making a sister of battle and everything must burn in rightous cleansing fire.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

You can build a magazine rack and put them in it. Looks cool.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Do I REALLY need Luck?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Okay, I managed to fix it. If you have the lighting option on anything lower than high, it will make it so you can't see though the dirt.

Edit: ugh, nevermind. If you are in a dark area, it doesn't shine though the grime.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Where do shotguns/laser scattergun damage bonuses fall in the perk tree? I'm guessing Rifleman because they're not automatic and they're not pistols, but they're also not strictly rifles, so... I have no idea.

Gridlocked posted:

Do I REALLY need Luck?

From what I can tell, it's very powerful if you use VATS a lot and pretty much unnoticeable if you don't.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Vargs posted:

It does seem pretty good, but I'd probably just go to rank 3 on it rather than 4. Rank 4 only benefits you if you're using these things at 1%-19% health remaining, with less benefit the higher you are. I dunno about you but I don't tend to wait until I'm at 1% health to use a stimpack, or have lost 99% of my max hp to radiation before I eat a RadAway.

Yeah I probably won't sink 4 full points into it either. Even with just 1 point its really really good.

I think a lot of my points are going to go into survival perks and "find more ammo" perks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm hearing that the game runs great even on years older computers, are the major graphical problems restricted to a few dumb over the top effects like "godrays" that when disabled have almost no visual effect?

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

ShadowMar posted:

what the gently caress, if you hit V while in your pipboy it zooms in on the UI. why doesn't it tell you this anywhere???

every time I've seen a post about the game not telling us about something, I've gone back into the game and seen a tooltip for that thing almost immediately afterwards.

That said, maybe tell us how to step out of our power armor, or zoom into computer screens earlier than 16 hours in...

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Harrow posted:

Where do shotguns/laser scattergun damage bonuses fall in the perk tree? I'm guessing Rifleman because they're not automatic and they're not pistols, but they're also not strictly rifles, so... I have no idea.

im pretty sure they count as rifles, just like submachine guns count as rifles

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So the list of names Codsworth recognizes allowed me to name myself Cal Ripken. Good Game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are you supposed to run around in your underwear if you equip a set of armor pieces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ShadowMar posted:

im pretty sure they count as rifles, just like submachine guns count as rifles

There are two types of rifles as far as perks are concerned. The auto rifle perk lives in agility and the single shot rifle perk lives in perception. It seems as though most guns baring obvious exceptions (double barrel shotgun) have at least one receiver for both styles so you can tailor your gun to how you want to play.

• Locked thread