Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
Just finished the Finland event. It's amazing how the high speed stages feel really smooth and flowing but terrifying at the same time. I'd like to see the same group of stages with group b rwd cars for maximum butt-clenching at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

MeatloafCat posted:

Just finished the Finland event. It's amazing how the high speed stages feel really smooth and flowing but terrifying at the same time. I'd like to see the same group of stages with group b rwd cars for maximum butt-clenching at some point.

"And jump. And jump. And crest, left five caution."

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Oh dammit. I was on the last stage of the Finland event and was feeling good about everything until I hit a tree. Not hard enough to end the event, but I got turned around and I didn't know I was backwards and got disqualified. I coulda been a contender!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My awesome team thought that fixing the lights before a long night stage was not important. Good job guys.

Is it worth tweaking the repair allocations or are the team suggestions usually ok?

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
I haven't had any problems with the auto repair so far. I do adjust it occasionally but it's pretty rare. One thing you can do is take extra repairs in exchange for a time penalty. I remember doing that at least once.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

My awesome team thought that fixing the lights before a long night stage was not important. Good job guys.

Is it worth tweaking the repair allocations or are the team suggestions usually ok?
If/when you can get to a full crew of 42,000 credit guys, usually you can full repair everything unless you trashed it quite badly (or you're doing a 2010's car since they seem to take much longer to repair than anything else). Early on: getting a full crew is a huge boon compared to getting a better crew, but I guess that's tied to distance now (you used to have to buy crew slots with credits... they didn't reimburse them if you already spent the ~400k credits to unlock them all :argh:).

Usually I just use their suggestions in cases where I can't full repair.

I think it says it in the tooltip, but I'm pretty sure you need to only put 1 point of repair into bodywork and lights to have them repair the lights fully if you break them so, yeah, be sure to do that 1 point if you have a night stage coming up. Pretty sure bodywork and lights tend to take less time per point than basically anything else so you can probably just take 1 point out of whatever it put in automatically.

On a related note: anyone else having issues with their latest-patch-addition of manual lights/wipers. The lights seem to work, but it's kind of a pain because you have to hold the button for like three seconds for them to stay on instead of just flashing them. As far as I can tell, the wipers button does literally nothing (couldn't turn them off on stages with snow/rain, couldn't turn them on or even get them to go once on dry stages).

MeatloafCat posted:

One thing you can do is take extra repairs in exchange for a time penalty. I remember doing that at least once.
Isn't the time penalty huge? I think I looked into doing it once, but the penalty would've cost me more than just running without the repairs. Unless they tweaked it or I'm misremembering, seems like a bad idea unless your car is so broken you literally might not make it to the next repair window because your car just breaks down.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I couldn't figure out the wipers either. Is there a button you can assign? I didn't know holding down the lights would turn them on, will try that next time. Not sure why you would ever need to flash them either.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Red_Fred posted:

I couldn't figure out the wipers either. Is there a button you can assign? I didn't know holding down the lights would turn them on, will try that next time. Not sure why you would ever need to flash them either.

Gotta flash at slow people in rallycross.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

There is an option to turn on manual wipers. The button does nothing unless you turn that option on in preferences.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

satanic splash-back posted:

There is an option to turn on manual wipers. The button does nothing unless you turn that option on in preferences.
That's weird that they'd make a separate preference to enable it, but now it's working correctly: tap for single swipe, hold a bit to turn on. Found the second out the hard way after playing with the wipers on the start line and then being quickly totally blind after starting (was snowing) because I'd only single pressed.

In other news, I confirmed that snow stages on Monaco are much better (see: better visibility) with the lights off which was good because 11 stages of my 12 stage event ended up snowing.

Also the RPM lights for the 2007 Focus are in such a terrible spot; you have to sit so low you can't see the hood at all or the wheel/anti-glare overhang is blocking them.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Been playing heaps of Rally Cross, quite fun.

Now I have 500,000 which car do you guys recommend out of the WRC 2000s?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Halo14 posted:

Been playing heaps of Rally Cross, quite fun.

Now I have 500,000 which car do you guys recommend out of the WRC 2000s?

Flip a coin, they're honestly both great. I drive the Focus more though because McRae livery.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Cool, thanks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Oh right I forgot the 2 others that were added. I haven't actually tried them out yet. However in doing some exploration of other cars I found beating a single stage community delta counts as winning an event. So I just got the "win an event with all assists off, no HUD and in headcam" achievement because I'm trying to not use the visual pace notes because I found I was reading them more than listening to them.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Interesting. I've never actually looked at the notes, only listened.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

No HUD, no assists, manual transmission, cockpit cam only. It is the only way.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jehde posted:

No HUD, no assists, manual transmission, cockpit cam only. It is the only way.

Well the visual pace notes was the only thing I still had. The improved cockpit meant I could ditch the dials and I've never had the timer on screen.

Did a Monaco run. Doing great in 2nd until stage 6. Back end slid out a little on a hairpin, rode up the snow bank and just tipped the car off the mountain. From 2nd and a solid 100k to retired and nothing in a few seconds. Monaco can eat a dick.

E: Road Book update, soft snow banks aren't going to be on Monaco in the 1.0 update. They are still going to be changed, but it will be in a later update.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 13, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:smug:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I just loving smoked you in the league though. Related, I've only done 2 stages of it so far because after 2 long Finland stages in a row I need to let my arms rest, they get jerked and shaken around a lot on landing.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

Did a Monaco run. Doing great in 2nd until stage 6. Back end slid out a little on a hairpin, rode up the snow bank and just tipped the car off the mountain. From 2nd and a solid 100k to retired and nothing in a few seconds. Monaco can eat a dick.

E: Road Book update, soft snow banks aren't going to be on Monaco in the 1.0 update. They are still going to be changed, but it will be in a later update.
I feel like I've been liking Monaco more and more recently and seem to get reliably good runs on it compared to in the past; conversely I feel like I'm getting worse at Greece, seeming to catch every roadside bump for disastrous consequences that I can.

Like the video for the week: doesn't look nearly as hectic as the other "pro" guy (rally driver trainer) recently and she beats him by about a solid four seconds on (I believe) the same stage/car combo. On a related note: in about ~15 minutes attempting, after scoffing at the previous "pro" that people thought looked impressive and fast, I didn't quite manage to beat him (wasn't really feeling the sim racing mood at the time, maybe could if I was), but was only one second off (~3:06:6 on Bidno Moorland to his 3:05:6xx), with a controller.

njsykora posted:

I just loving smoked you in the league though. Related, I've only done 2 stages of it so far because after 2 long Finland stages in a row I need to let my arms rest, they get jerked and shaken around a lot on landing.
:boom:

Obviously you need to sim race more to build up them muscles though!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

Obviously you need to sim race more to build up them muscles though!

No joke, when I started racing with this wheel my arms weren't even lasting a few laps in iRacing. This poo poo is tiring until your arms get used to the abuse. Also I just checked my stats on the Dirt website and during that Finland run I broke my highest speed with 146mph. Think my last best was around 120mph in an F2 in Germany.

I'm improving in Greece (3rd in my current career championship), but there's a few corners that still reliably catch me out. Monaco is just so much more annoying with the instadeath edges.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Wow, just did the first stage of the league on Finland. drat these cars handle like a dream. Never even driven it before (and hardly driven Finland either) and managed 2nd place on the 1st stage. also slightly buzzed and haven't played in like a week or so, just to drive home the point of how easy the cars are to drive. (in a good way, very enjoyable)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

No joke, when I started racing with this wheel my arms weren't even lasting a few laps in iRacing. This poo poo is tiring until your arms get used to the abuse. Also I just checked my stats on the Dirt website and during that Finland run I broke my highest speed with 146mph. Think my last best was around 120mph in an F2 in Germany.

I'm improving in Greece (3rd in my current career championship), but there's a few corners that still reliably catch me out. Monaco is just so much more annoying with the instadeath edges.

Man, gently caress Greece. I used to love that rally back in the old CMR but in this it just sucks. That bit where it narrows and drops off to the side, gently caress that. :nono:

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Haha what, i just got 1st place. I was in first by the end of stage 3, but I hosed up the last stage so badly i thought for sure i wouldn't have gotten 1st.

I think the next car I get in my career will definitely be one of these bad boys. How was it exactly that you all get credits quickly? I got a hillclimb car, but I don't understand how you go about getting them fast.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 14, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Skwee posted:

Haha what, i just got 1st place. I was in first by the end of stage 3, but I hosed up the last stage so badly i thought for sure i wouldn't have gotten 1st.

I think the next car I get in my career will definitely be one of these bad boys. How was it exactly that you all get credits quickly? I got a hillclimb car, but I don't understand how you go about getting them fast.

Rallycross is my quick credits hole, but I don't enjoy it that much so I usually just keep at Rally because its more reliable. I find its easier to learn the RX tracks than it is go learn Pikes Peak and go fast there.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

One perk of rocking a controller I guess: play till you don't want to, not till your arms turn to floppy noodles and you physically can't. Think vocals in Guitar Hero is the only videogame I've played that put a maximum on playtime before physiology let me down; getting a wheel might prove to be the second.

Checking myself out on there, apparently my top speed is also 146 MPH (:hfive:), but it doesn't say where I did it. More amused by the highlight that I own 25 cars and the community average is 2; kind of sad how in many ways the average numbers just show most people barely played and moved along. On the same front: I've driven 4500 miles while the community average is a mere 231 miles. Pretty proud of my 265 ft. on two wheels (have not intentionally tried two wheeling ever... don't even remember where it might've happened) since apparently the community max is 377 ft (2/3 of the way there!).

Skwee posted:

I believe my :spergin: is what you're looking for for raking in ducats.

Yeah, the 2000's are pretty great. I'm not sure if that guy that maintains the "standard candle" guide for putting every car through their paces on the same stage of Greece ever revisited the 2010's after v.2 physics were added, but, currently, the 2000's cars are intermingling with the top Group B (Peugeot 205, Lancia Delta; definitely haven't been retested since v.2) cars for the fastest cars in the game. So much more performance than most classes is gated behind the upgrades for them though, unfortunately, but, other than that, they're pretty fantastic. Did three 12-stage Master Events with the Subaru, one with the 2001 Focus, and one with the 2007 Focus so far; all three felt good in different ways.

Red_Fred posted:

Man, gently caress Greece. I used to love that rally back in the old CMR but in this it just sucks. That bit where it narrows and drops off to the side, gently caress that. :nono:
Yeah, pretty much all the old Colin McRae games had stupidly wide track surface which simplified them a good deal compared with the frustrating narrowness of some parts of Dirt Rally's stages (Greece is the most notable, but Wales has some dangerous narrow bits as well). Now they just need Corsica (or some different German stages judging by links that cropped up around Germany release... think it was a Germany onboard I watched where it was weaving around a 1-car-wide road through a hillside vineyard with basically no margin of error lest you find yourself tangled among the grapes or into a wall) so we have a super narrow paved course (more so than Monaco)!

I'd also love to see Kenya and/or Australia added from the old titles as both were different flavors of "this place will loving destroy your car without mercy" like Greece was/is. Kind of looking forward to Winter Wonderland landing more to find out what's next for Dirt Rally than for Sweden; really hoping they keep the team together and continue work in some capacity since there's still so much potential that can yet be added.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Everyone wants a Kenya/Safari rally because even in Dirt 3 those were great. The width of stages in CMR is really weird to go back to because they are so freaking wide, up to 3 car widths in some places.

bUm posted:

One perk of rocking a controller I guess: play till you don't want to, not till your arms turn to floppy noodles and you physically can't. Think vocals in Guitar Hero is the only videogame I've played that put a maximum on playtime before physiology let me down; getting a wheel might prove to be the second.

It's not a major thing, and certainly not with all cars. I can drive 70s/80s cars around all day without issue but the force that the 2000s put on my wheel means some flat out portions of Finland are just me holding on for dear life. Also now my engineers are contracted for 20+ more stages each I'm finally clear to build up some cash for an R4 car. Hopefully gonna get promoted to Elite in this championship as well.

Edit: Just put together the next Dirtygoons season. As per somewhat masochistic vote it's Group B 4WD all the way. 6 events with a break from the rally in week 4 to go drive up a mountain. As a result Monaco will be a drive down the mountain.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 14, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So this is interesting, one of the posters on the Dirt forums did some diving and found a hidden directory tree.

If it's legit, might show some additional stuff coming in 1.0 or later, like a Rally School and Youtube upload.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

There's already a loading tip that mentions you should upload your replays to youtube, so I guess that one's obvious. Or they might just remove the tip.

Is "driver rep" in the game in some form, or could that be something new too?

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Wait, so what exactly do I do? I create a custom championship, but can't change the difficulty, it just says open on the bottom and it is greyed out.
4 events 1 stage each, then... just do the 2nd run of the first event and then quit? It says you get the money in 3 minutes, but I cant see doing 4 stages in 3 minutes.

also holy crap simmoniti smashed my time for the league.. I can't imagine getting 2.5 minutes faster of a time. Maybe 30 seconds faster if I didn't gently caress up the last stage so badly.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 15, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Skwee posted:

Wait, so what exactly do I do? I create a custom championship, but can't change the difficulty, it just says open on the bottom and it is greyed out.
4 events 1 stage each, then... just do the 2nd run of the first event and then quit? It says you get the money in 3 minutes, but I cant see doing 4 stages in 3 minutes.

also holy crap simmoniti smashed my time for the league.. I can't imagine getting 2.5 minutes faster of a time. Maybe 30 seconds faster if I didn't gently caress up the last stage so badly.

Difficulties for custom champsionships are unlocked as you progress through the normal career championships, so it's probably best to get as deep as you can into that first to maximize your potential gains.

Abandon the first run and go for it in the second run. If you do alright then you get a full no restart bonus. If you really mess up you can just dock a bit from the bonus and try again. It's just a weird thing of abandoning the second round counting as a restart for some reason.

The 3 minutes is for each event, you are rewarded upon completion of an event in a championship. It's just for some reason the concurrent event count maximizes the multiplier. It's fairly unlikely you'll get the full course, and rather just repeat one of the sections 4 times.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 15, 2015

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Oh right, 4 events, 1 stage. I was thinking you had to do all 4 in a row before payout for some reason.

Woah i just saw a deer run across the road. Didn't know there were deer in this game.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 15, 2015

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Jehde posted:

Difficulties for custom champsionships are unlocked as you progress through the normal career championships, so it's probably best to get as deep as you can into that first to maximize your potential gains.
Didn't realize this was a thing since I'd had all three to Master before they added Custom Championship. So, yeah, get the actual Hillclimb as high as you can first (pretty sure promotion is just like Rally: a top three spot promotes) then move over to the more lucrative Custom whatever point you can't move up.

Skwee posted:

Woah i just saw a deer run across the road. Didn't know there were deer in this game.
There's also squirrels sometimes if you watch closely!

bUm fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 15, 2015

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

bUm posted:

Didn't realize this was a thing since I'd had all three to Master before they added Custom Championship. So, yeah, get the actual Hillclimb as high as you can first (pretty sure promotion is just like Rally: a top three spot promotes) then move over to the more lucrative Custom whatever point you can't move up.

There's also squirrels sometimes if you watch closely!

yeah the deer scared the crap out of me. did not expect to see something moving other than my own car. It was also night time and the deer was illuminated by my headlights as I was going 100+ mph on a straight in germany. I'll keep a look out for squirrels too.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

:smuggo:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Skwee posted:

yeah the deer scared the crap out of me. did not expect to see something moving other than my own car. It was also night time and the deer was illuminated by my headlights as I was going 100+ mph on a straight in germany. I'll keep a look out for squirrels too.

Are they scripted though? I'm pretty sure I saw something run across at the same point when I restarted a stage once.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Red_Fred posted:

Are they scripted though? I'm pretty sure I saw something run across at the same point when I restarted a stage once.

I dunno. I don't recall ever seeing one before. I've only played for 24 hours though.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Yes. They seem to have an RNG though so sometimes they're there, sometimes aren't.* They're also timed such that they're impossible to come close to hitting. It's a nice touch when you notice and potentially distracting to cause you to screw up. :v:

* There's a deer crossing shortly after stage start on the Germany one that starts with a gentle right -> right 3 -> square right -> deer -> a bunch more square rights/right 1's and one hairpin before it opens up a bit. Think it was the Lancia 037 that I couldn't for the life of me finish a run on there (bad default setup, no advanced tuning yet to tune out some of the crazy high camber [like 1.25 degrees] with stiff suspension that made it super unstable under braking during gentle bends into sharper turns) and saw that deer probably ~1/3 of the time, but not always.

bUm fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 15, 2015

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
I have literally never seen an animal in this game. Do I need to up my crowd quality settings or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

SealHammer posted:

I have literally never seen an animal in this game. Do I need to up my crowd quality settings or something like that?

I think it's a random chance thing, like the rocks that occasionally appear on the road.

New weekly challenges look fun, Group B RWD in Germany and 2000s in Finland.

• Locked thread