Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Srice posted:

If you want to be infected with fail-AIDS, watch 0083.

Try is also an acceptable alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

IBO hasn't even completed 20% of its run; it is way the gently caress too early to recommend it in the context of robot fights. I love it to bits so far but for all we know the Barbatos may never fight again.

It probably will, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

IBO hasn't even completed 20% of its run; it is way the gently caress too early to recommend it in the context of robot fights. I love it to bits so far but for all we know the Barbatos may never fight again.

It probably will, though.

Akihiro and Mika will abandon their mobile suits and obliterate Gjallarhorn through the power of raw, manly flexing. After seeing the ludicrous gains she has made in the Tekkadan gym, the four Earth superpowers will bow down to Kudelia and make her their queen.

I have foreseen it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

In terms of spectacle and gorgeous styling, I'd recommend Gundam Reconguista in G - G-Reco. I just finished it, and while the plot was tricky to follow, I enjoyed the parade of pretty robots and pretty robot fights, as well as the colorful setting and all of the visual details in the thing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

G-Reco definitely has plenty of fights and pretty dynamic choreography.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

VolticSurge posted:

Try is also an acceptable alternative.

Try is the biggest load of garbage, it was painful to watch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reds posted:

Try is the biggest load of garbage, it was painful to watch.

I really dislike Try myself but if all you want is fights and don't care about characters or context it might work for you. It doesn't have anywhere as good a fight lineup as BFclassic but it has something.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

I really dislike Try myself but if all you want is fights and don't care about characters or context it might work for you. It doesn't have anywhere as good a fight lineup as BFclassic but it has something.

The fights in Try sucked tho. The Build Burning only did finishers

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair, I got my friend into watching Gundam through Try, because he was a fan of G Gundam. We watched the episodes of Try that were available at the time, and then went back to watch the first season.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Try's action was awful. The budget was non-existent and the Build Burning's fighting style consisted entirely of finishers and incredibly thick plot armour.

The one time he fought an opponent who could cancel his finishers he flopped over like a dying fish. He didn't even attempt to throw a single normal punch.

Allarion posted:

To be fair, I got my friend into watching Gundam through Try, because he was a fan of G Gundam. We watched the episodes of Try that were available at the time, and then went back to watch the first season.

Were you trying to make your friend hate Gundam? Hopefully watching the first season undid the damage.

Here's what you do if you insist on watching Try: You watch the first episode, then you watch Minato's debut episode with the SDs, then skip to Snapfit Simon's episode, then you skip to Tryon 3, then you watch the final episode and you pretend that there was a good show inbetween those episodes. This is the best way to watch Try because the other episodes will make you hate the main characters and their rivals.

Reds fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 11, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm just saying a lot of the hate towards Try is a bit unwarranted. It's true that that it's not as good as the first season, but it's not bad enough that it'd be actively be recommended not watching. In a vacuum, it's a decent enough show, albeit generic shonen battle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, you don't have to argue that point to me, I'm just sayin' that if all you want is contextless fights BFT has a dude throwing fire phonixes every episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reds posted:

Try's action was awful. The budget was non-existent and the Build Burning's fighting style consisted entirely of finishers and incredibly thick plot armour.

The one time he fought an opponent who could cancel his finishers he flopped over like a dying fish. He didn't even attempt to throw a single normal punch.

Were you trying to make your friend hate Gundam? Hopefully watching the first season undid the damage.

Here's what you do if you insist on watching Try: You watch the first episode, then you watch Minato's debut episode with the SDs, then skip to Snapfit Simon's episode, then you skip to Tryon 3, then you watch the final episode and you pretend that there was a good show inbetween those episodes. This is the best way to watch Try because the other episodes will make you hate the main characters and their rivals.

The Crossbone fight was pretty OK.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Try also had kung fu Dom, Tryon, and the gunpla race/Beargguy fight

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Well, Try put my mother (the crazy Jojo-hater) off of anime for good. My wacky grandma,however, still loves Gundam; she just found Try boring as gently caress. She actually fell asleep during the Celestial Sphere fight,for instance. On the other hand, IBO so far has her rapt attention.
Hearing a kindly old lady shout "That guy just got knocked the gently caress out!" and then seeing my prudish mother turn beet red is just hilarious. Wish my folks were more like her when it comes to trying new things... :sigh:

dogsicle posted:

Try also had kung fu Dom, Tryon, and the gunpla race/Beargguy fight
Those were pretty much the only good parts of the show, and they were still sullied by Sekai's very existence.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

After wrapping G-Reco I thought I'd try another Gundam series I've never seen (before getting back to Zeta and watching all of it), so I picked up SEED to see if it was as bad as I've heard...

I'm on ep 2 and I did not know it was possible to make this plotline be so boring. The colony is under attack, the genius kid is trying to figure out how to pilot this gundam, and I'm yawning. The art style isn't very good. The fight cheroegraphy is boring. The dialogue is generic.

Does this show get any better? Should I stick with it at all?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

VolticSurge posted:

Wish my folks were more like her when it comes to trying new things... :sigh:

Wwhy are you trying to make your parents watch anime?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

StrixNebulosa posted:

After wrapping G-Reco I thought I'd try another Gundam series I've never seen (before getting back to Zeta and watching all of it), so I picked up SEED to see if it was as bad as I've heard...

I'm on ep 2 and I did not know it was possible to make this plotline be so boring. The colony is under attack, the genius kid is trying to figure out how to pilot this gundam, and I'm yawning. The art style isn't very good. The fight cheroegraphy is boring. The dialogue is generic.

Does this show get any better? Should I stick with it at all?

It's strongest in the beginning, so if you don't like it now, you aren't gonna like it more in the future

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

Trying to expand their horizons. It backfired horribly,of course. Dad thinks I'm "turning" into a homosexual because I like Jojo/IBO (they're the same thing in his eyes),and mom... well, I think I mentioned her crazyness in one of the Jojo threads.
At least Granny likes the stuff.

In hindsight, it was a dumb idea.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

It's strongest in the beginning, so if you don't like it now, you aren't gonna like it more in the future

Fantastic. And here I was hoping that it would be popular in Japan for a reason. Back to Zeta I go!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

I don't know why people think this. It's just a clone of MSG at the start only now you have to suffer through watching he same flashback a bajillin times.

The end is easily my favorite part as everything is crazy and all the villains and no more dealing with stupid teen angst.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The beginning does not have Peak Rau, so it cannot be the best part.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

I've watched anime with my mom. It was a cool fun time and I would def. recommend others try it, assuming their parents are open to new things.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The only anime I got my mother to watch was Millenium Actress. To be fair, it's one of the best movies ever made.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
My favorite two Gundam series are Gundam Wing and Gundam SEED. Wing was part of my regular Toonami anime experience and is full of nostalgia, and Seed fills my need for Gundams locking on to 100 enemies and spamming beams and missiles everywhere at once, and the use of those tiny drone laser shooters whose name I'm forgetting right now. G Gundam was also fun, can't beat a Gundam with a giant windmill on the back.

How are Reconguista and Origin? They sound solid but I haven't caught them yet.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NowonSA posted:

My favorite two Gundam series are Gundam Wing and Gundam SEED. Wing was part of my regular Toonami anime experience and is full of nostalgia, and Seed fills my need for Gundams locking on to 100 enemies and spamming beams and missiles everywhere at once, and the use of those tiny drone laser shooters whose name I'm forgetting right now. G Gundam was also fun, can't beat a Gundam with a giant windmill on the back.

Origin is basically "Char and Sayla Grow Up;" it's fun to see it animated but it's sparse on robot fights. G-Reco was good but the pacing was very fast and it demands some attention from the viewer.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, all I know about Origin right now is "has Char" and so I assumed it would be good solely based on that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The first episode of Try was pretty good wrt robot action. The rest of the fights ranged from mediocre to pretty good, though it never really hit the same highs that build fighters classic did (which also was way more consistent in quality! )

The big problem was that try would have like 4 mediocre fights in a row between the pretty good ones, while even the lesser build fighters fights were pretty entertaining to watch. Also build fighters was fun to watch between the fights, which Try rarely was

Try was kinda fun to watch as it aired but I definitely wouldn't recommend watching more than the first episode to someone (I really like the action in episode 1 though, I wish the rest of the show had stayed that good)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fantastic. And here I was hoping that it would be popular in Japan for a reason. Back to Zeta I go!

The main reason is that it reached out for an audience beyond just the people that watch robot shows.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NowonSA posted:

G-Reco is pretty divisive, with the split between people pointing out that it's badly plotted and paced which makes it not that good despite being very pretty, and people who go "HUR HUR THE PLOT IS A MASTERPIECE, YOU JUST NEED TO HAVE HALF A BRAIN TO GET IT, SHAME YOU'RE SO DUMB. :smuggo::smuggo::smuggo:" Watch it and see for yourself if you like it, but either way, it's stupidly pretty and the MS designs own a lot.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That's a p disingenuous way to paint the people that enjoy it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

For this place especially, a lot of that sort of backlash happened because the most vocal detractors of the show were amazingly brokebrained people who refused to pay attention to the show because that wouldn't fit their narrative of screaming how it makes no sense.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

The Crossbone fight was pretty OK.

It becomes pretty glaring when you notice that most of the good fights come from an absence of the Build Burning Gundam, the Tryon fight being an outlier. Even the Star Winning and Lightning actually got a decent final fight going 2v2 at the end.

ImpAtom posted:

Man, you don't have to argue that point to me, I'm just sayin' that if all you want is contextless fights BFT has a dude throwing fire phonixes every episode.

That's the exact problem though; It doesn't work when you have five other machines in the arena every fight that only exist to benefit setting up Sekai's Stock Footage Jigen Haoh Ryu Attack No.1/2/3 and just winds up tedious to watch.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Srice posted:

That's a p disingenuous way to paint the people that enjoy it

Every time anyone brings up the fact that G-Reco's pacing and plot might have been less than perfect, you have people rushing in to call them idiots because they were obviously too stupid to pay attention. It gets really old really fast.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 11, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's more a thing that happens when people yell about how nothing makes sense

Which, well

Is a really dumb complaint, in general, since most things make sense in their own ways

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Either way tho I think it's lame to paint all the fans or all the detractors of anything as a homogeneous blob of hate that won't listen to reason

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Srice posted:

Either way tho I think it's lame to paint all the fans or all the detractors of anything as a homogeneous blob of hate that won't listen to reason

I agree.

Claiming G-Reco makes no sense is dumb (it makes a non-zero amount of sense), and claiming it makes perfect sense and wouldn't have benefited from more episodes is also dumb (it would have made more sense). For once, the truth is actually in the middle.

In conclusion, for anyone wondering about whether G-Reco is good: watch G-Reco and see if you like it.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 11, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Every time anyone brings up the fact that G-Reco's pacing and plot might have been less than perfect, you have people rushing in to call them idiots because they were obviously too stupid to pay attention. It gets really old really fast.

You are engaging in an obnoxious viewership-war built on the do-you-or-do-you-not-have-trouble-following-it in divide, in which you pick a side and then set up a bunch of ridiculous strawmen representing the other side. Stop. It didn't need to live on past the show's airing.

Just skip straight to the "watch it yourself and decide" part next time.

Reds fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 11, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It does seeem like a lot of peoples problems with G-reco come from them not paying attention, or being stupid, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

boom boom boom posted:

It does seeem like a lot of peoples problems with G-reco come from them not paying attention, or being stupid, tho.

The extreme shitposting comes from the fact that many people who didn't get it tended to take it as a personal insult, particularly when told "well maybe you weren't paying attention properly".

Which then led to "anybody who likes it/understands it is a pretentious faux-intellectual who is lording it over you. and who may also be only pretending to understand it".

That's the people who like to complain loudly anyway. Obviously not speaking for all people who watched it. Just the loud ones.

I didn't have a single problem following the show and I cannot understand what people found hard to follow so I find it difficult to empathize with people who couldn't follow it.