Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Splinter posted:

Is a 3rd Gen 16GB/2GB Moto G the go to option the the ~$200 price point?

I've been very happy with mine and I can't think of any other phones I would recommend at that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Glambags posted:

So is there anyone here who ordered a nexus 6p in the first week of preordering who is still waiting on their phone?
I placed my order on Saturday, received email that it was marked for delivery between the 18th and 20th, tried to cancel on Sunday, got a tracking e-mail Monday, and it'll arrive by tonight. If you're still waiting it might be worth it to hit up their chat and complain? I'm not saying that's the reason why mine went out so quickly, but the person I spoke with did attribute it to a "sudden income of new stock" so basically :iiam:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Glambags posted:

So is there anyone here who ordered a nexus 6p in the first week of preordering who is still waiting on their phone? I placed my order on 10/3 and my delivery window is Nov 10-12 but I haven't seen any shipping notification nor has my credit card been charged. I'm seeing things on various websites where people are reporting similar issues with ordering the phone on launch day and not getting them yet, while people who ordered last week already have them in hand. I ordered accessories with mine (case/cables) so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it? Not really a huge deal since my current s4 works fine, but uh, gimme the phone already, google.
Just place another order, if it starts processing cancel the old one.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Splinter posted:

Unless you're willing to do used then yes. Otherwise you can get G3s for under $200 now and they're better in almost every way except the silly UI.

Who knows though because somebody might have touched their dick to the phone so

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Splinter posted:

It's the solid safe choice and has the advantage of being small. More exotic choices that have some upside (bigger, higher res screen) and some downsides (less stock UI, unknown upgrade future) would be the Asus Zenfone 2 and Zenfone 2 Laser. Last generation phones like the 2014 Moto X, LG G3, LG Gflex 2, etc. have been selling new for under $250 occasionally as well.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Tunga posted:

Just place another order, if it starts processing cancel the old one.

I may end up doing this but the case I ordered is out of stock. If after contacting google about it I don't get anywhere, I'll just cancel/reorder and get the speck candyshell case instead of the official nexus quartz that i originally ordered.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlyingCheese posted:

I almost always use this feature when taking a quick nap (I work very very odd hours), so I'm not using memory intensive apps, or any apps at all for that matter. Nor do I keep anything running that would eat up memory over time barring any bugs in apps.

In that case your phone has problems. You using any kind of "battery saver" or "memory manager" app?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Just got my 6p. It makes the moto x pure look like a fat baby. Haven't used it yet since it's installing everything.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

FAUXTON posted:

In that case your phone has problems. You using any kind of "battery saver" or "memory manager" app?

I would imagine problems would manifest in more than this niche issue, but lol Google.

And no, none of that crap.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FlyingCheese posted:

I almost always use this feature when taking a quick nap (I work very very odd hours), so I'm not using memory intensive apps, or any apps at all for that matter. Nor do I keep anything running that would eat up memory over time barring any bugs in apps.

Just set an alarm instead of a timer.

I mean, it shouldn't be a problem, but the alarm app probably uses an internal countdown for timers so that it can display a countdown, but uses Android's built-in ability (via the AlarmManager API) for alarms in the future.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I just looked back at a bunch of s6 reviews to see if I have some sort of magical copy with a working scanner and not one mentions any issues with it.

Maybe because I registered multiple fingers and actually moved the angle around during all the registration calibration? Sometimes it'll take a split second if the phones been idle or on low power mode, but zero issues.

The phone's probably the most durable one I've ever owned on top of it for being all glass/metal. On my trip down the rabbit hole I ended up watching a guy with biceps the size of a basketball put all his force into bending it with very little give.

Same dude then snaps a 6p in half like it's an oreo.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Thermopyle posted:

Just set an alarm instead of a timer.

I mean, it shouldn't be a problem, but the alarm app probably uses an internal countdown for timers so that it can display a countdown, but uses Android's built-in ability (via the AlarmManager API) for alarms in the future.

That's what I've been doing but it would be nice if it worked. Also yeah you'd think that's how they did it but apparently not.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

That's what I've been doing but it would be nice if it worked. Also yeah you'd think that's how they did it but apparently not.

They used to do that. If you set a timer for x minutes it would set an alarm for x minutes ahead of where you were and people didn't like that because that's not a timer. Now it actually uses a timer which is the correct way of doing it.

The point is that you should use a timer when you need a timer and an alarm when you need an alarm.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just strange, because at least one of the "debunkers" built a bend rig and stacked plenty of lifting weights on it, and it didn't bend or break.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

LastInLine posted:

The point is that you should use a timer when you need a timer and an alarm when you need an alarm.

The point is that google should make a timer that doesn't stop being a timer after a certain amount of time.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
So two weeks after I buy a 6P, it turns out a job offer I just got gives me one for free. :(

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 11, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FlyingCheese posted:

The point is that google should make a timer that doesn't stop being a timer after a certain amount of time.

OK yes, but

zolthorg posted:

There isn't a single Google result I can pull up mimicing this problem.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have set timers up to 24 hours in length on my N6 and no issue whatsoever.

Perhaps there is something unique happening in your case and it would be worth troubleshooting?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Rastor posted:

Perhaps there is something unique happening in your case and it would be worth troubleshooting?

Sure, I'd love to troubleshoot but considering I'm running 100% stock with no apps that control memory/battery, I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting. This bug has persisted through several wipes (Lollipop to M Preview 1, then Preview 1 to 2, 3 was dirty flashed over 2 but Preview 3 to final release was wiped).

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Super Dude posted:

So two weeks after I buy a 6P, it turns out a job offer I just got gives me one for free. :(

If it's possible get the free one and sell it.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
If you already have one and decline to use a company phone you could see about a credit on your paycheck or something.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just strange, because at least one of the "debunkers" built a bend rig and stacked plenty of lifting weights on it, and it didn't bend or break.

It makes sense if you watch it based on how they chose to construct the phone. He actually references someone else doing a weight stack test with it, possibly the same guy? That person uses 90lbs stacked on top of it, but as he points out, it's just squeezing the dovetailing they did together so it survives. Apparently there's a little gap between the motherboard and the battery sections of the phone that happen to be in the middle of the phone, proving to be an incredible weak point for snapping the thing in half. Plus they used dovetailing between the materials to hold it together which is incredibly stupid, as he points out. It's still a great phone, this doesn't really change anything, just be more aware of sitting on it in a backpocket because of this design.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Nondescript Van posted:

If you already have one and decline to use a company phone you could see about a credit on your paycheck or something.

Good idea, I'll look into that if I accept the job. They also pay for my cell phone bill which is pretty cool.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chances are they have certain conditions for usage of a personal phone in lieu of a work phone, be sure to find out what they do upon severance/termination.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I just wanted to let everyone know that my at&t nexus 6 finally got an OTA update. It was the November patch for lollipop. Maybe I'll see marshmallow by the end of the year?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Google has a 15 day return period. If indeed it's 2 weeks you got time still.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RZA Encryption posted:

I just wanted to let everyone know that my at&t nexus 6 finally got an OTA update. It was the November patch for lollipop. Maybe I'll see marshmallow by the end of the year?

You'll never see it until you take command of your own goddamn property.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You'll never see it until you take command of your own goddamn property.

I am not going to do Google's work for them.

edit: Also there is no option for me that doesn't involve wiping my phone. Since Google's backup/restore process is a shitshow, I don't have time for that.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
The 6P is laughably huge, I just can't get over how long it is. I'll still take it for a test drive but I'm already not feeling it. Thank god there's a no-obligation, 15-day return window. I even checked with Google, they cover the cost of return shipping so there's absolutely no reason not to take it out for a spin.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

AT&T hasn't approved the Marshmallow OTA which is why Google bothered to make a Lollipop Nexus 6 November security patch image at all. You'll see that there is a Marshmallow variant for the same security patch set, all you have to do is make sure you don't pay AT&T for service and Google will be happy to provide it to you!

You're refusing to update it yourself and you're paying an entity to make sure you don't get it from Google. This is 100% your fault.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I am to blame for Google not being able to update their software in a sane manner. I am to blame for not erasing my device to fix it myself. I asked for a sub par experience when I purchased an android device.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So apparently it's a known thing where the Nexus 5 power button will get stuck/hosed internally resulting in a never-ending boot loop when charging and it just won't work otherwise? Fantastic.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
It's how my n5 died and then I came to love the n6. I just got the November security patch on the n6 and marshmallow has hit for my n7 2013 WiFi which is pretty rad.

gently caress the po

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

RZA Encryption posted:

I am to blame for Google not being able to update their software in a sane manner. I am to blame for not erasing my device to fix it myself. I asked for a sub par experience when I purchased an android device.

You're definitely to blame for being such a whiny little bitch over it

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

captain poopfister posted:

It's how my n5 died and then I came to love the n6. I just got the November security patch on the n6 and marshmallow has hit for my n7 2013 WiFi which is pretty rad.

gently caress the po
Died forever or just died until you could get it to a repair shop? I got this second-hand and I knew the risks, but it's annoying it couldn't even make it 'till Christmas.

If it's dead forever I may just say gently caress it and get a 5X. Be current on technology and have an actual warrenty for once instead of two generations behind.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Google can update their devices in a sane manner just fine so long as you don't do something retarded like put a SIM in it from a carrier trying to gently caress with you. You can also update it yourself without erasing the device by sideloading the update but just be aware that you will be violating the wishes of your carrier and really I think they know what's best for you.

It isn't ideal but Apple poisoned that well a long time ago by showing the carriers that if they cede control of the software on their networks, they'll fade into irrelevancy immediately. They'll never make that mistake again (and to Verizon's credit, they didn't want to make that mistake the first time).

Pierson posted:

So apparently it's a known thing where the Nexus 5 power button will get stuck/hosed internally resulting in a never-ending boot loop when charging and it just won't work otherwise? Fantastic.

Yep, this is a thing that happens.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

They used to do that. If you set a timer for x minutes it would set an alarm for x minutes ahead of where you were and people didn't like that because that's not a timer. Now it actually uses a timer which is the correct way of doing it.

I'd be really surprised if they didn't set an alarm for the end and just display a countdown for the remaining time when you're looking at it. I mean I can think of a few ways they could mess it up, but this is a typical sort of example for an app that has a long-running background task

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I'd be really surprised if they didn't set an alarm for the end and just display a countdown for the remaining time when you're looking at it. I mean I can think of a few ways they could mess it up, but this is a typical sort of example for an app that has a long-running background task

I don't know how it was handled in the background but in the UI if you told Google (and I want to say you had to do it with voice commands), "Ok Google, set a timer for three hours forty minutes," it would create a new alarm for 3 hours 40 minutes into the future. You wouldn't see a countdown in the notification bar and the alarm icon would be present. You had no option to actually have a timer in the sense of a having some countdown on your screen to view time remaining (which I assume is the primary reason for preferring one over the other) and in the case of small durations where seconds matter you couldn't get an accurate timer because it would always be set for a time and not a duration making the function essentially worthless.

This was changed not long ago. Lollipop maybe? I think it came with an app update, either Search or Clock, and not with the OS itself.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

Yep, this is a thing that happens.
Have I just had some bad luck or is this something that will be happening on the regular? Because if this is a thing that's going to plague me I may just get it fixed, sell it on and get the 5X.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There isn't anything in the system that gives you that functionality out of the box though, you'd have to make something that constantly updates the notification if you want that to happen. Alarms are really a request for the system to wake up and poke your app so you can make a noise or whatever, so I don't see why a countdown timer wouldn't use one of those exactly like an 'alarm', and just display a countdown on top of that for your convenience

I mean they could handle it all in the component that's changing the notification, but it seems like a rookie mistake to rely on that for alarm functionality instead of just using an alarm. Especially since they were updating it and the whole alarm system anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RZA Encryption posted:

Let's assume, for your sake, that you have no choice but to be on AT&T.

You still know that American carriers could wrangle concessions like control over update cadence out of smartphone manufacturers. This isn't AT&T's fault alone for prosecuting it (although they share some blame), as every carrier is going to have these demands made for them or lose their standing in the market, or Google's fault alone for conceding to it, as presumably they wanted to sell a phone that works on more than one mobile radio standard - like LastInLine said, Apple (and Samsung) kind of screwed the market for them, so it's hard to blame Google too much for their role in this, and unless you want to get mad at Google for making Googlephones in the first place....

It is probably the United States' fault for allowing the mobile phone ecosystem to be pretty much ruined.

You knew, as a customer of AT&T, that bringing a Nexus 6 to AT&T would mean that AT&T could interfere with updates. You knew that AT&T has a history of acting in poor faith and incompetence. That they may very well ruin the phone from underneath you, perhaps not as dramatically as the people you harassed for years in this forum for daring to take responsibility for and try to understand their property, but in a real sense nonetheless.

You bought the Nexus 6 and put it on AT&T anyway, are now visibly upset that you are faced with the consequences, still refuse to help yourself with the tools the one company that wants to help you (in a totally self-centered way but hey it's still viable assistance) has provided, and lash out at anyone pointing out that your eagerness to be a model consumer around companies and jurisdictions that have no interest in holding their end of the bargain has failed you utterly.

This is poetry.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 11, 2015