Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
MMC Salvia is great, but her "official" alt mode, the one that incorporates her hammer, is not physically possible. You can make the Arcee hovercar and the plane thing that the red one (is that Firestar or Elita-One?) makes pretty easily, they're floating hunks of Cybertronian metal.

I will be able to pick up my Spartan tomorrow, the UPS guy "rings the bell" super quiet and sneaks the "we missed you!" paper on the door. Constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

the UPS guy "rings the bell" super quiet and sneaks the "we missed you!" paper on the door. Constantly.

This is why I get poo poo delivered to work.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Everything MMC have done is super cool and fun to transform except for the fembots which are a nightmare.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I have the MMC Elita-1 and she looks really good at least! In fact, all the fembots look pretty good. It's just their transformation that's hell. I really hate super fiddily transformations where you need stuff to be just exactly right or else it won't all fit together right.

Thankfully, that sort of thing is getting more and more uncommon these days. It was mostly a problem with Beast Wars \ RiD \ Alternators \ Alternity \ early MPs.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 11, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
"problem"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Ehhhh, I just find it annoying if once piece is out of alignment, the whole thing won't go together and everything needs to be EXACTLY right. I.E. MP-9 Rodimus, Alternators Optimus, Alternators Wheeljack\Grimlock, etc. etc.

This has really gone by the wayside though thankfully, as recent MP figures are decently complex without being really fiddly. I think Transformers moving away from ball joints and towards universal swivels is partly responsible for this. Plus, I think new figures are designed in a way where it's harder to gently caress things up and have a piece off by 1 millimeter as everything tabs in and lines up.

I think the MP cars like Sideswipe, Prowl, Wheeljack and so on are just Transformer perfection. I got Tracks in a pile of loot and he's going to be coming my way, too.

That MMC Ocular Max Mirage also looks REALLY good and I think I might have to cave on him.

I've also been thinking of a Sunstreaker, but I dunno if I'd want to go with Badcube or Omnigomix or w/e it's called. I saw the Maketoys Hound \ Gundog at TFCon and he looked and felt super solid, but I've compared him to pics of G1 Hound's animation model and he isn't very accurate at all. With MPs, I'm trying to go for cartoon accuracy as much as possible.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 11, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just spotted something nice at Orbital here in London and snapped it up for the SS. :3:

Had to resist a new Iron Factory 2 pack of legends scale Perceptor and Soundwave, which was helped by the realisation that they're the same figure with different heads. Perceptor doesn't have speakers on his knees. :colbert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm just being a weirdo. It's deffo a problem, but it's a problem I have almost complete tolerance for because I'm a self-destructive lunatic re:transforming robots.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I really miss crazy complicated transformations and find it kind of a shame that they're mostly falling by the wayside, but I guess I value the "puzzle" aspect of Transformers a lot more than other people do. It's why I haven't made much of an effort to keep up with current Generations stuff.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Once again complex transformations are fun, as long as you aren't fighting against the engineering itself. If there's like 100 steps but they flow and click into place naturally, then it's cool and fun. If you have to fiddle panels and setting one part makes another pop out of place then it's dumb.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Again, I think recent MPs are the golden standard. They aren't simple, but they're intuitive, fit together well and are engineering in a way that it's difficult to make a mistake that fowls the whole thing up.

Then you have things like MP-9 Rodimus, Alternity and various ROTF figures where I can barely make heads or tails of them.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

CyRaptor posted:

The MMC Impactor is great, the transformation is actually refreshingly simple and fun. There's a couple of weird questionably necessary hinge-y bits that are easy to forget during transformation (the swiveling upper thigh panels are particularly puzzling) but overall he's my favorite third party toy in a while.

Plastic quality seems good to me, but what do I know.

He looks reeeally fun and good but I'm waiting for the black version of the mold.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Terry van Feleday posted:

I really miss crazy complicated transformations and find it kind of a shame that they're mostly falling by the wayside, but I guess I value the "puzzle" aspect of Transformers a lot more than other people do. It's why I haven't made much of an effort to keep up with current Generations stuff.

I have two ROTF Leader Primes (Original and Amazon Jetwing) and I love them both so much.

Ironically, even though the Jetwing retools to the abdominal area makes it easier to insert and remove the pectoral assemblies into the sliding mechanism, the removal of the robot mode's fake long-nose portions' front panels makes it more difficult for the fake nose halves to latch onto the elbow divets, which means that you have to hold them at just the right positions when assembling the long nose of the vehicle form. And considering how many other flexes and acts of space-management that particular subprocess already entails, the relative ease of the retooled sliders is basically offset by the added hassle, so it's kind of a wash.

Although not having to worry about the arm blades probably pushes things back in Jetwing's favor...

God now I really want that Asian Premium Series version with the new hands and nice paint and all the weapons. God, what a genius figure. Watching a video of its conversion (and ROTF Voyager Starscream's likewise ingenious transformation) really revitalized my love of the puzzle-play facet of the franchise. But that's to be expected when you grow up on Car Robots. ROTF/TF2010 was mana from heaven for me. So much ingenuity, and the better DOTM figures like Skyhammer, too...

The last main-line release to inspire quite that level of awe in me is still probably Prime FE Bulkhead, though the orange-peeling process of Evasion Prime was a delightful treat. I can't wait for the improved OS KO of Evasion to drop.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 11, 2015

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

MMC Salvia is great, but her "official" alt mode, the one that incorporates her hammer, is not physically possible.
Works fine on mine? :confused: Are you remembering to extend the waist?

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

DoctorWhat posted:

I have two ROTF Leader Primes (Original and Amazon Jetwing) and I love them both so much.
Man, I can't even describe how much I love that mould. Before that Premium Series version was ever announced I made it a project to make a perfect version of it with everything. I took a Striker Optimus with the nice paint, installed some chinese articulated hands and swapped the gas tanks on his back with those from the jetwing version so he could have his gas tank gun and wear the jetpack, then got my hands on every accessory there is for the figure. I'm aware it's kind of ridiculous, but he and Voyager Megatron from DotM are my favourite transformers period, so.

One reason I like movie toys so much is that the ridiculous, clearly physically impossible designs really required the designers to think outside the box and come up with some strange tricks to make them work. Starscream is a seriously ugly thing but both his RotF voyager and leader versions are just really interesting to handle.

When it was first revealed that Hasbro would split their efforts into a child-friendly, simple half and one more aimed at adult collectors, I was pretty hyped about the idea of the collector line becoming more involved in its assembly again, but that wasn't the path they ended up taking. Guess I'm just bitter that MP and independent stuff is somewhat hard to get here and kinda out of my price range right now, so I'm stuck with the simpler stuff.

Also: Alternity is great.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I just recently sold a ROTF Prime at a toy show. I've been trying to clear out everything that isn't G1, G2, Beast Wars, Classics or MP.

At one point I was holding on to a few movie leader classes and human alliance figures, but I was like "yeah nope, I need money and space more than I need Bayformers."

It's funny - ROTF Optimus was a figure I didn't much care for, because he took like an hour to Transform. It makes total sense for Hasbro to move away from stuff like ROTF figures, because I didn't have much fun transforming them as an adult, let alone a child. In my book, at lot of them were quite frankly over-engineered. But you know, different strokes for different blokes.

There's a few toys that reach nightmare levels of complexity - i.e. RiD Omega Prime, that Year of the Dragon Final Boss Optimus, the Fansproject Menasor and so on. If your instruction sheet is big enough to double as a tablecloth and it takes 2 hours to transform something back and forth, it becomes less of a toy and more of a project to me.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Preview of the new MtMtE is up and goddamnit, poor Cyclonus and I hate Getaway and Tailgate is so wonderfully oblivious

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Getaway is really pursuing Tailgate hard and I cannot honestly parse why. He basically just got on board and was like "I need to gently caress THAT"

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Onmi posted:

Getaway is really pursuing Tailgate hard and I cannot honestly parse why. He basically just got on board and was like "I need to gently caress THAT"

Some folks just have it, man. Let's not go down the road of what physical characteristics are immediately appealing to transformers.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Onmi posted:

Hmm I wonder why someone (who is lying to some degree, yes) who was traumatized by being a MTO thrown into battle and having worked as Prowl's special operations enforcer slash spy for millions of years would be attracted to the bright eyed spark who didn't live through any of this horrible mind-boggling poo poo...

Inversely he might just hate Cyclonus. He did lead an assault on Kimia, a lot of autobuddies died.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

They're robots that don't reproduce sexually so all this talk about them wanting to gently caress and all the shipping that happens in the actual pages of the comic is really fuckin' weird tbfh

MTMTE: I have no genitals and I must scream

Oh yeah, that reminds me, here's an oldie but a goodie

That one had me in stitches when I was like 13.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 12, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Onmi posted:

Pon Farr is never logical, Mr. Spock

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

An Angry Bug posted:

Works fine on mine? :confused: Are you remembering to extend the waist?

Possibly not? The instructions could be better.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Some folks just have it, man. Let's not go down the road of what physical characteristics are immediately appealing to transformers.

It's probably his butt. If Transfomers can't be wierd totally alien life forms who do not understand human sex characteristics, then it has to be something painfully human. Like the butt. Butt stuff.

Just got my POL (and OF COURSE Gundog is about to ship) and I have some thoughts:

Takara Blitzwing: On clearance because of damaged boxes or something. Same shoulder problems as the Hasbro one, gonna have to sand those parts down. Looks very pretty though.

Masterpiece Tracks: Some scary thin parts like the hood, but the plastic quality is good because Takara. His backpack is a little hollow, but you can angle things to minimize that. Very good!

Takara Slipstream: Tighter Windblade remold. The heels stay in place far better than my Windblade.

Iron Factory Evil Lord/Not Overlord: So good! Small scale like the other Iron Factory Metroplex Accessories, but a bit larger so it's easier to handle and pose. Makes a jet and a tank, but also a base. Not a fan of the base.

R-13 Spartan/Not-Impactor: Masterpiece, except for the fact that he was never on the cartoon. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Impossible Toys Hub: $5 on clearance, it's an update of the original Bumblebee/Cliffjumper/Hubcap mold. Charming at the price.

I see BBTS has put up MMC Nova Prime for preorder.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I see BBTS has put up MMC Nova Prime for preorder.
$200 USD is a lot of Canadian equivalent dollarydoos, ouch. Might just buy the inner robot, Nova Prime back when he was Nova Major or whatever is pretty cool too. Doesn't seem like he comes with the ridiculous revolvers anymore though - the original prototypes had these freaking awesome cybertronian six shooters that looked gosh darn pimpin'. I guess people thought they were weird.

Looking forward to Slipstream. My second Windblade is pretty solid, but it's a good mold when it stops falling over.

Not sure which is weirder, your obsession with robutts or grammatron's old timey speciesism. I'm sure back in his day yadda yadda robots wore pants etc etc not like these new fangled robos just striding around nude as a clam.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Not sure which is weirder, your obsession with robutts or grammatron's old timey speciesism. I'm sure back in his day yadda yadda robots wore pants etc etc not like these new fangled robos just striding around nude as a clam.

Look sonny boy, back in my day, we didn't have conjux impalas or whatever those newfangled models are calling it these days. We were built in factories and we liked it! If two transformers liked each other a lot and wanted to have some little ones of their own, they had to place an order to the assembly plant through a dial up modem! If you ask me, these turbo revvin' young punks sticking their sparkplugs in each others' tailpipes are just a sign of moral decay these days. Things were different back on Cybertron.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

$200 for the completed MMC Nova Prime is a bit much, especially when he comes up to Hexatron's waist.

I may just get the core robot though, still seems more pricey than the usual MMC release.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Conjux Impala? Conjux IMPALA?!? What kind of functionist bullhonky is this?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

R-13 Spartan/Not-Impactor: Masterpiece, except for the fact that he was never on the cartoon. Cannot recommend highly enough.

It's prrrretty great, but it's not like MP10 or MP Prowl or anything. I mean I don't want to harsh your own personal buzz or anything but I don't want anyone buying it expecting an actual literal MP-level toy or anything.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Gammatron 64 posted:

Look sonny boy, back in my day, we didn't have conjux impalas or whatever those newfangled models are calling it these days. We were built in factories and we liked it! If two transformers liked each other a lot and wanted to have some little ones of their own, they had to place an order to the assembly plant through a dial up modem! If you ask me, these turbo revvin' young punks sticking their sparkplugs in each others' tailpipes are just a sign of moral decay these days. Things were different back on Cybertron.

Kup, tell Grimlock story! Tell Grimlock love story!

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Sizone posted:

Kup, tell Grimlock story! Tell Grimlock love story!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Takara Blitzwing: On clearance because of damaged boxes or something. Same shoulder problems as the Hasbro one, gonna have to sand those parts down. Looks very pretty though.
Does the Takara version still have the soft rubber nosecone? If they fixed that tit might justify a rebuy at that price.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Don't know about the Takara one still being a soft nosecone, but if it was done for safety reasons originally, how come Leader class Jetfire gets away with having a solid one you could easily put your eye out on?

Blitzwing is easily the most disappointing toy of recent years. Aside from his shoulders I fixed with the Bitz box, it barely has any paint left on top of his head due to the craptacular tolerances of his transformation.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Cosmic Swarm engine room is almost complete. Just need to finish up the back wall, the engine blast door and add a couple bits of filigree, maybe a few LEDs.
Next I'm going to do Perceptor and Jetfire's lab. It's going to be a much bigger set.

Also did a very redlight insecticon set which I'll put up tomorrow after I edit it.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 12, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Holy tables Batman.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
http://imgur.com/a/IXSKP

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

ROTF Insecticon is so cool.

Goldskull posted:

Don't know about the Takara one still being a soft nosecone, but if it was done for safety reasons originally, how come Leader class Jetfire gets away with having a solid one you could easily put your eye out on?

Leader Jetfire's nosecone is rubbery too, but just the very tip.

I'm gonna recommend the SXS upgrade for Blitzy again, overpriced but it really made me love that figure.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
That MMC Nova Prime just doesn't do it for me, but MakeToys seems dead-set on never reissuing their version. :smith:

Possibly not? The instructions could be better.
What part of the hammer-alt-mode is causing issues?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Knormal posted:

Does the Takara version still have the soft rubber nosecone? If they fixed that tit might justify a rebuy at that price.

It's rubber.

Once I take it apart and sand down the torso parts with too much plastic that cause the shoulder issue, it looks to be pretty good.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

It's prrrretty great, but it's not like MP10 or MP Prowl or anything. I mean I don't want to harsh your own personal buzz or anything but I don't want anyone buying it expecting an actual literal MP-level toy or anything.

It's okay to not agree with me. I think my emotional investment is greater for Prowl and MP-10 Prime, but this is objectively a great figure. Spartan is solid, other than the transformation being rough the first time due to MMC's horrible instructions (both this toy and Salvia's are just terribad) and making a weird tanky thing (Last Stand Of the Wreckers comic-accurate, though) it's just so good. The colors are a bit more muted than the prototype shots, it's not garish in person. It feels more solid than most Masterpieces.

If not it's not Masterpiece-level (and of course everyone can think of it what they will) then it's better than most Voyagers.

I think... I think he's better than Tracks. :ohdear:

Sizone posted:

Cosmic Swarm engine room is almost complete. Just need to finish up the back wall, the engine blast door and add a couple bits of filigree, maybe a few LEDs.
Next I'm going to do Perceptor and Jetfire's lab. It's going to be a much bigger set.

(PICTURES)

Also did a very redlight insecticon set which I'll put up tomorrow after I edit it.

Keep doing your thing, man. :)

EDIT:

An Angry Bug posted:

That MMC Nova Prime just doesn't do it for me, but MakeToys seems dead-set on never reissuing their version. :smith:

What part of the hammer-alt-mode is causing issues?

Having the hammer head in place makes the the rest of the jet not tab in correctly. I don't want to break her arms and legs by forcing things, and I can't tell from the instructions how to do it. Removing the hammer head lets her turn into a cool jet, the one Firestar/Elita-One officially turns into.

\/\/\/ Terrifying.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stop all the downloadin'!