Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

So apparently it's a known thing where the Nexus 5 power button will get stuck/hosed internally resulting in a never-ending boot loop when charging and it just won't work otherwise? Fantastic.
This is common but can usually be fixed temporarily by whacking it. Put a towel or something on a table and hit it with the edge of the phone, just above the power button. Use common sense about how hard to do that, obviously don't smash it. You can also just whack it sideways on your hand, that sometimes works.

This happened to my N5. It'll come back every couple of weeks. It can usually be fixed permanently by replacing the power button, if you fancy attempting that. I just bashed it until the 6P came out and then gave it to a friend who likes tinkering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Alright, thanks guys. Good to know it isn't something ridiculously complex or permanent. There's a phone repair store nearby I'll just take it in and use my old Nexus 4 for a few days.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Pierson posted:

So apparently it's a known thing where the Nexus 5 power button will get stuck/hosed internally resulting in a never-ending boot loop when charging and it just won't work otherwise? Fantastic.

This happened to mine at one point. Everything I read said to bang on the power button really hard. I tapped around on it and nothing happened until I finally wacked it really hard on the edge of my desk. It booted right up.

After that, it never had any trouble for the rest of the 10 or so months that I owned it.

Good luck.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

I am to blame for Google not being able to update their software in a sane manner. I am to blame for not erasing my device to fix it myself. I asked for a sub par experience when I purchased an android device.

I don't understand this.

Did you buy it direct from Google, or did you buy an AT&T branded and customized Nexus 6?
Are the AT&T Nexus' running AT&T customized firmware which talk to different update servers?
Is AT&T doing traffic snooping and blocking access to updates for all Google devices?
Does Google detect AT&T SIM cards and provide different updates?

If it's AT&T customized phone & firmware, they're the ones loving you over, not Google.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Let's assume, for your sake, that you have no choice but to be on AT&T.

You still know that American carriers could wrangle concessions like control over update cadence out of smartphone manufacturers. This isn't AT&T's fault alone for prosecuting it (although they share some blame), as every carrier is going to have these demands made for them or lose their standing in the market, or Google's fault alone for conceding to it, as presumably they wanted to sell a phone that works on more than one mobile radio standard - like LastInLine said, Apple (and Samsung) kind of screwed the market for them, so it's hard to blame Google too much for their role in this, and unless you want to get mad at Google for making Googlephones in the first place....

It is probably the United States' fault for allowing the mobile phone ecosystem to be pretty much ruined.

You knew, as a customer of AT&T, that bringing a Nexus 6 to AT&T would mean that AT&T could interfere with updates. You knew that AT&T has a history of acting in poor faith and incompetence. That they may very well ruin the phone from underneath you, perhaps not as dramatically as the people you harassed for years in this forum for daring to take responsibility for and try to understand their property, but in a real sense nonetheless.

You bought the Nexus 6 and put it on AT&T anyway, are now visibly upset that you are faced with the consequences, still refuse to help yourself with the tools the one company that wants to help you (in a totally self-centered way but hey it's still viable assistance) has provided, and lash out at anyone pointing out that your eagerness to be a model consumer around companies and jurisdictions that have no interest in holding their end of the bargain has failed you utterly.

This is poetry.

That's a lot of words to shift blame to anyone else except Google.

Google explicitly decided to sacrifice the ability to upgrade the OS in a timely manner, and in doing that sacrificed the security of all android users, for storefront space.

Blaming the "United States mobile phone ecosystem" is absurd, as is blaming Apple for the horrible sin of not loving over its users like Google did.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

uninterrupted posted:

Google explicitly decided to sacrifice the ability to upgrade the OS in a timely manner, and in doing that sacrificed the security of all android users, for storefront space.

Blaming the "United States mobile phone ecosystem" is absurd, as is blaming Apple for the horrible sin of not loving over its users like Google did.

The US isn't UMTS-exclusive, or even UMTS-majority. Voice over LTE was still pretty drat limited. The other option was to be stuck with selling through T-Mobile alone yet again, or maybe with AT&T (Not Even Once.), and when the Nexus 6 was on the drawing board no one knew what was going to happen to T-Mobile. Given how previous Android dev phones worked, and the fact that contract discounts were still a lot more of a thing than the amortize-most-of-the-cost-over-the-contract thing they are now, while technically there are other options for worst-case scenario, for practical "get true Android out to people" purposes losing T-Mobile would have meant that either Google ends up AT&T's bitch or Google has to have their American developers import the Android archetype device into Google's home territory. It took playing carriers against each other to get even 'we won't inject poo poo in your updates'. I wonder if Google was doing it as a test of good faith that ended up backfiring, actually.

I'll give you that Apple probably did not intend to screw anyone, but it's kind of hard to get concessions out of carriers after they know what it's like to be a dumb pipe and Samsung's pretty much bending over backward for them so why give Google the time of day unless they're resigned to a compromise.

And, oh yeah, Google was seriously worried about that Tizen thing Samsung keeps pushing on phones outside the OECD and appliances everywhere (imagine if someone had done an Android-alike with the Symbian operation and development model but worse because you can't even test locally without uploading your app). Yeah, I know it's weird to think of Google being threatened by anything smaller than an actual country, but being caught between Apple and an OEM mutiny would probably qualify.

In any case, I wasn't trying to dickride Google (or, to be fair, not to). I was trying to put the blame back on RZA Encryption for not doing his homework and not having at least some sort of contingency plan if his carrier acted like ... well, like his carrier. If you're going to place blind faith in your phone's manufacturer and carrier, at least in the US, then any phone will leave you miserable and probably not even the iPhone will leave you safe.

I actually think that Google has learned from this experience. Namely, that you can't sell a 700-dollar phone straight up unless it's actually the supreme model in your lineup or you're Apple (and that you probably don't need to), that carriers are not to be trusted (and now you don't have to nearly so much), and that they're probably going to have to take off the kid gloves when dealing with OEMs in the future. Actually, given the issues with Android as it is done today (that I've brought up in the rooted thread), I wouldn't be surprised if the Chrome/Android thing talked about earlier is pointing at a future that includes Chromephones and Chrometabs, where web apps have actually Gotten Somewhere, and no one is under any delusion that things aren't already under Google's velvet-wrapped iron fist, and if that takes off then you can have Android legacy apps I guess but Google doesn't take new Android app store entries after date X or whatever.

Dear God they need a device management program for your computer though.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 11, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

beerinator posted:

This happened to mine at one point. Everything I read said to bang on the power button really hard. I tapped around on it and nothing happened until I finally wacked it really hard on the edge of my desk. It booted right up.

After that, it never had any trouble for the rest of the 10 or so months that I owned it.

Good luck.

Posting to say my Nexus 5 has the same issue and I resolved it the same way. Anecdotes ahoy!

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

You're definitely to blame for being such a whiny little bitch over it

ding ding ding

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Trammel posted:

I don't understand this.

Did you buy it direct from Google, or did you buy an AT&T branded and customized Nexus 6?
Are the AT&T Nexus' running AT&T customized firmware which talk to different update servers?
Is AT&T doing traffic snooping and blocking access to updates for all Google devices?
Does Google detect AT&T SIM cards and provide different updates?

If it's AT&T customized phone & firmware, they're the ones loving you over, not Google.

Bolded the correct answer. Google has been pushing updates at a different cadence based on the SIM card inserted in the device, because the carriers asked them to. Or in some cases they're pushing specific updates to certain carriers, for instance pushing a T-Mobile specific build to T-Mobile customers to add wifi calling.

The only AT&T customization applied to the AT&T-sold Nexus 6 is that there's an AT&T logo silkscreened on the back, and AT&T put their own noisy bootscreen into the /oem partition. The /oem partition itself is a method that Google has afforded carriers so they can customize without jacking with the /system partition and requiring lots of carrier customization in the system itself.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter where you bought that Nexus 6 -- could've bought it from Google, Motorola, or even Verizon. You put an AT&T SIM in, and now your update schedule is subject to the lowest common denominator, AT&T.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 11, 2015

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I think it's reasonable not to expect AT&T to be able to block OTA updates to your unlocked, purchased-from-Google phone just because their SIM is in it. That said, if I were still this mad about it, I would get off my ideological soapbox long enough to just sideload the loving update and be done with it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The rear end Stooge posted:

I think it's reasonable not to expect AT&T to be able to block OTA updates to your unlocked, purchased-from-Google phone just because their SIM is in it. That said, if I were still this mad about it, I would get off my ideological soapbox long enough to just sideload the loving update and be done with it.

Well, except if you were on a special snowflake AT&T build before, there's no OTA zip file out there to sideload. You could apply a factory image, but that is predicated upon having an unlocked bootloader. And if you have not done that already, then doing so now to get the update means a full factory reset.

I don't really think it's an ideological soapbox, more of a practical one, when your unlocked, purchased-from-Google device is one major release and one security patch behind and there's not a sensible way to get up to date.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Since price difference is not a difference anymore, I'm really debating between the S6 and the Moto X Pure/Style. I currently own a Moto G 2013.

I'd buy the Moto X if it wasn't HUGE and didn't have a fingerprint scanner.
I wouldn't be so skeptical with the S6 if it had stock android, good battery (although i'm almost all day next to a PC) and a SD card slot.

Help me goons, what am I exaggerating here, the size and necessity of fingerprint scanner, or the bloat and bad battery of the S6?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

LastInLine posted:

I don't know how it was handled in the background but in the UI if you told Google (and I want to say you had to do it with voice commands), "Ok Google, set a timer for three hours forty minutes," it would create a new alarm for 3 hours 40 minutes into the future. You wouldn't see a countdown in the notification bar and the alarm icon would be present. You had no option to actually have a timer in the sense of a having some countdown on your screen to view time remaining (which I assume is the primary reason for preferring one over the other) and in the case of small durations where seconds matter you couldn't get an accurate timer because it would always be set for a time and not a duration making the function essentially worthless.
That's pretty much just user interface bullshitting. I don't see the purpose of a "timer", if it's unreliable as hell, when you can just set up and alarm and then calculate the value to display in the UI when necessary. I mean for christ's sake, it's just time_remaining = alarm_time - actual_time.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

I am to blame for Google not being able to update their software in a sane manner. I am to blame for not erasing my device to fix it myself. I asked for a sub par experience when I purchased an android device.

Just do what I did and remove the sim and delete Google services updates. Restart phone without the sim and wait about 10 minutes for the update. I linked the reddit thread about what could happen if you do it but it works just fine for me. You don't lose anything

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Cable posted:

Since price difference is not a difference anymore, I'm really debating between the S6 and the Moto X Pure/Style. I currently own a Moto G 2013.

I wouldn't be so skeptical with the S6 if it had stock android, good battery (although i'm almost all day next to a PC) and a SD card slot.

Help me goons, what am I exaggerating here, the size and necessity of fingerprint scanner, or the bloat and bad battery of the S6?

You're exaggerating the X size, IMO. It's not that bad

Also, if you disable Samsung's crap and throw Google's launcher on there, there is really very little touch wiz to deal with. The battery is not wonderful but if you have charging access it is totally fine. Note, the fingerprint sensor isn't very good but it is there.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Cable posted:

Look into the MotoX Play. It's smaller than the Pure with similar specs, has a huge battery, has SD and is pretty inexpensive. Minimal modifications on stock android too. I got one to replace my Nexus5 and am loving it.

On the other topic, my girlfriend's Nexus5 has the same power on button glitch that you're all describing. Slamming it against the table has fixed it a couple of times, but it always comes back with a vengance. Anyone have experience with repalacing the power button?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Google Now has had for a few years the ability for you to say "what am I watching" or "what am I listening to," and it will tell you what TV show or movie or song is playing. Does it listen all the time without me asking? Will I be served ads based on my viewing habits?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Freezer posted:

Look into the MotoX Play. It's smaller than the Pure with similar specs, has a huge battery, has SD and is pretty inexpensive. Minimal modifications on stock android too. I got one to replace my Nexus5 and am loving it.

I had considered it, but I'd like to have the killer camera and better processor and ram :/ also in Europe the price is around 350€. For comparison, the S6 now is at 470€, the Pure at 500€.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Cozmosis posted:

You're exaggerating the X size, IMO. It's not that bad

Also, if you disable Samsung's crap and throw Google's launcher on there, there is really very little touch wiz to deal with. The battery is not wonderful but if you have charging access it is totally fine. Note, the fingerprint sensor isn't very good but it is there.

I thought the fingerprint scanner was supposed to be good?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

AFAIK, it's not bad. When it came out it was one of the better ones, if not the only one working properly. But 6 months have passed since then so faster and better scanners have appeared.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

uninterrupted posted:

How did Google sacrifice the upgrade ability? Until the Nexus One, they weren't involved in making any phones. If anyone is to blame, it's HTC/Samsung/Motorola since they struck the agreements with carriers about letting the carriers control updates, and everyone had to follow after that. Google had no way of telling the carriers or manufacturers not to allow that until they entered the game, at which point it was way too late.

What were they supposed to do about it even if they wanted to change things? If they told the carriers that Google should control the updates, why would the carriers have any reason to sell Nexus phones? Do you have some sort of inside information on what the Google execs thought process was 5-6 years ago?
VVVV

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 11, 2015

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The mistake is assuming Google had any plans to change the game, they had every intention of playing along with carriers from the start. Their real attempt at change is Project Fi.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

baka kaba posted:

There isn't anything in the system that gives you that functionality out of the box though, you'd have to make something that constantly updates the notification if you want that to happen. Alarms are really a request for the system to wake up and poke your app so you can make a noise or whatever, so I don't see why a countdown timer wouldn't use one of those exactly like an 'alarm', and just display a countdown on top of that for your convenience

I mean they could handle it all in the component that's changing the notification, but it seems like a rookie mistake to rely on that for alarm functionality instead of just using an alarm. Especially since they were updating it and the whole alarm system anyway

Right, this is what I was saying...it seems like Google is doing the rookie mistake because long running timers aren't firing because the app is getting kicked out of memory. Putting aside the fact that its weird its getting kicked out of memory, the only way I can see for timers to not fire after the app is getting kicked out of memory is if they're just counting the time themselves in the app. I mean, they're obviously not using AlarmManager.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Google actually has a rookie working on a low-priority app like the alarm app.

But, anyway, using a timer for something that you don't need to watch the countdown on (like a reminder to wake up in 3 hours and 40 minutes) seems weird to me.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

kitten smoothie posted:

Well, except if you were on a special snowflake AT&T build before, there's no OTA zip file out there to sideload. You could apply a factory image, but that is predicated upon having an unlocked bootloader. And if you have not done that already, then doing so now to get the update means a full factory reset.

I don't really think it's an ideological soapbox, more of a practical one, when your unlocked, purchased-from-Google device is one major release and one security patch behind and there's not a sensible way to get up to date.

Oh I didn't realize AT&T would literally lock you out of manually updating your own phone if you put their SIM in it. That's hosed.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Oh I didn't realize AT&T would literally lock you out of manually updating your own phone if you put their SIM in it. That's hosed.
This is not entirely true, and I think it shifts the blame unfairly. Google has released specific builds to phones running on at&t, and has yet to send out an OTA that targets them. AT&T may have asked for this, but Google is the one agreeing to it (for possibly legitimate reasons, idk). Google devoted resources to producing these special builds and they are apparently not devoting resources to upgrading them.

Which is why this:

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Just do what I did and remove the sim and delete Google services updates. Restart phone without the sim and wait about 10 minutes for the update. I linked the reddit thread about what could happen if you do it but it works just fine for me. You don't lose anything
Would not work. It's not "blocking" the update, there just isn't an update to 6 from my version of 5.

Again, no sideloading here (unless something changed since the last time I searched XDA about it). It would involve erasing my device, and I don't have the time to put in to that. (Maybe if I spent less time complaining I would!)

Skarsnik posted:

You're definitely to blame for being such a whiny little bitch over it
Call me a dumbass, call me a moron, call me a fuckhead, but you shouldn't use the word 'bitch'. Regardless, I don't see how desiring a better customer experience is a bad thing. What has happened should not have, and anyone defending it or making excuses for it has spent way too much time in a bad environment of consumer protections. You should want better for yourself and others.

You knew, as a customer of AT&T, that bringing a Nexus 6 to AT&T would mean that AT&T could interfere with updates.
Sorry, no. I've owned Nexus phones since the Nexus One, and never has my carrier interfered with my updates. I remember Verizon Galaxy Nexuses having trouble because they had basically a completely different phone, but this is not the case with the Nexus 6. One of the appealing points was that they were all the same model, all the same innards, and thus would all run the same software.

You knew that AT&T has a history of acting in poor faith and incompetence. That they may very well ruin the phone from underneath you, perhaps not as dramatically as the people you harassed for years in this forum for daring to take responsibility for and try to understand their property, but in a real sense nonetheless.
All of my discussion here has been related to the topic. If my view on things isn't as kind to your favorite companies as you'd like, I'm sorry. I've used Android since the G1, I've seen the improvements that have been made, but I'm never going to say "good enough" when a competing platform has day one software updates and I have a bunch of people telling me that it's my fault and also it's not that big of a deal because I could just erase my phone and fix it.

I can't believe the backlash I'm getting from "I think that Google and AT&T preventing my phone from getting updated is a bad customer experience." Like I said previously, you should want better for yourselves and others. Reflashing your phone because of carrier/platform incompetence/malice is unacceptable.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's ok, just too many misfires for my taste. Way better than the old ones were.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

I can't believe the backlash I'm getting from "I think that Google and AT&T preventing my phone from getting updated is a bad customer experience." Like I said previously, you should want better for yourselves and others. Reflashing your phone because of carrier/platform incompetence/malice is unacceptable.

I think the backlash is from where you placed the blame initially. Google has had no problem updating other Nexus 6 models, right? It obviously isn't something you should have to worry about or suffer, but seems far more likely to be example #62846 of carriers making their customers' experiences worse, than Google being unable or unwilling to update a phone with hardware identical to others that they've updated just fine. If you had started with "I can't believe AT&T is loving up my Nexus experience," a la Verizon Galaxy Nexus complaints, I'm sure you'd have gotten less push back (for better or worse, ha).

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

I think the backlash is from where you placed the blame initially. Google has had no problem updating other Nexus 6 models, right? It obviously isn't something you should have to worry about or suffer, but seems far more likely to be example #62846 of carriers making their customers' experiences worse, than Google being unable or unwilling to update a phone with hardware identical to others that they've updated just fine. If you had started with "I can't believe AT&T is loving up my Nexus experience," a la Verizon Galaxy Nexus complaints, I'm sure you'd have gotten less push back (for better or worse, ha).

Thing is, even if it is AT&T's fault, it's still Google's fault for letting it happen. They run the platform, they act in place of the OEM for this device when it comes to software development and deployment. Other companies have been able to update their devices out of band from the carrier. Why can't they? It's a platform weakness. Someone said it on twitter recently, I forget who: "Android is Windows before Windows Update. Without mandated, automatic updates, carriers and OEMs use updates as a means to get you to buy a new phone." I hope the rumors of Google looking to standardize the chipsets in android phones are true, it would show that they are the least bit concerned about the issue.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Pierson posted:

Died forever or just died until you could get it to a repair shop? I got this second-hand and I knew the risks, but it's annoying it couldn't even make it 'till Christmas.

If it's dead forever I may just say gently caress it and get a 5X. Be current on technology and have an actual warrenty for once instead of two generations behind.

It kept getting worse, battery life was an hour also which made me realise its time has come. For me to sell it to some shmuck and use the cash towards getting a 6. No regrets.

Next year I'll get a 6p or whatever the new one is but I'm in no hurry.

I do want a new case for my 6 as the wood one I currently have makes it like half an inch thick because reasons.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Anyone looking for a Nexus Player, they are currently only $45 on Newegg, with coupon code VCOSINGLE15 if you use Visa Checkout:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...293382&SID=d_ac

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Anyone looking for a Nexus Player, they are currently only $45 on Newegg, with coupon code VCOSINGLE15 if you use Visa Checkout:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...293382&SID=d_ac

Keep in mind it's made by ASUS. I'm on my third unit. First unit the radio died. Second unit had HDMI audio cut out. The third one is okay :crosses fingers:

Otherwise I love it. Great kodi and ps4 remote play machine.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

RZA Encryption posted:

Thing is, even if it is AT&T's fault, it's still Google's fault for letting it happen. They run the platform, they act in place of the OEM for this device when it comes to software development and deployment.

What would you have Google do to fix this if AT&T requires that they push updates to AT&T customers? They don't have the market share with Nexus devices to make AT&T care, so AT&T could just refuse to let Nexus devices run on their service if Google demanded it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Still waiting to get a new phone. I planned (and still plan) on getting a Nexus 6 since they are so drat cheap on eBay. Has the battery life gotten better with updates? How IS the battery life? I can charge my phone at work, but I also like to go camping and etc so...

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I got my 6p yesterday. I was afraid that coming from a Nexus 4 it would be too big.

It's big.

But it's actually not that much wider than the N4, at least in my hand. I mean, there's no way I'm using it in one hand, but I don't feel like I'm waving a small tablet around. The other thing I was happy to see was that the camera bulge at the top is not as pronounced as I thought. It's very slight, and the whole thing feels really solid.

I'd love a thin, clear case for it, though. Is there a preferred one that people suggest?

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 11, 2015

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I just learned that, apparently, Marshmallow has support for visual voicemail.

I'm on AT&T with a Nexus 6P running Marshmallow. I do not see a visual voicemail tab in the dialer -- how do I enable it?

Now if only I could teach my parents to text me instead of leaving voicemails...

Tom Ford
Feb 9, 2012

Hmmm, got the November security update OTA on one of my 6P's more than two days ago but still waiting for it on my other one. They're 487 serial numbers apart (both 64gb graphite) and were set up simultaneously. Mildly annoying.

Also, the variance in build quality in them is noticeable (smoother seams on the one with higher serial number). And holy poo poo the screen on these phones shows smudges like crazy. Next to my 6s+, the screens look super oily and smudged even with very little use (and I don't have oily skin).

Nice phone overall, I like the size and (for the most part) the feel. Marshmallow is great, blows away iOS 9. Slightly worried about build quality/quality control and durability of the hardware. If you can get past those uncertainties (and I'm still on the fence), it's the best Android phone on the market.

But I'd still like to see Google go all in and make their own handset from the ground up.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Super Dude posted:

What would you have Google do to fix this if AT&T requires that they push updates to AT&T customers? They don't have the market share with Nexus devices to make AT&T care, so AT&T could just refuse to let Nexus devices run on their service if Google demanded it.

I'm sure I'll get corrected on this, but I don't think at&t can legally bar any compatible device from using their network, per FCC rules.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Captain Yossarian posted:

Still waiting to get a new phone. I planned (and still plan) on getting a Nexus 6 since they are so drat cheap on eBay. Has the battery life gotten better with updates? How IS the battery life? I can charge my phone at work, but I also like to go camping and etc so...

Doze is pretty great; I've been much happier with my 6 on Marshmallow, and I was pretty pleased before. Anecdotes all the way down.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Alarbus posted:

Doze is pretty great; I've been much happier with my 6 on Marshmallow, and I was pretty pleased before. Anecdotes all the way down.

Thanks!
I'd rather anecdotes then another page of AT&T update chat :gay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Captain Yossarian posted:

Nexus 6 battery life is okay. It's about 6-8 hours of moderate usage (watching video/browsing/etc, less if trying to game). It's got solid idle battery life, and Doze helps with long term (leaving it off the charger while you sleep will lose practically nothing). You can Quick Charge it from a wall charger in about 1.5 hours from dead. If you're camping you should have an Anker external charger anyways. You can get one that'll charge a Nexus 6/p three times over and weighs half a pound. Or a full charge once that's like lipstick sized.