Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

LightReaper posted:

As to an actual question, do QBs often switch teams? I guess I'm asking if it's safe to look into a jersey or whether I should be worried about another team stealing Taylor away at the end of the season.

If the QB is good to great, then not that often. More so if he's young and it becomes obvious that they're building a team around him. It's tricky because seemingly good-great QBs have fallen off into absolute poo poo in recent years and quickly gotten rid of. See Schaub, Matt.

Also, I'm not really conviced that Taylor is going to be a great QB for years to come but it looks fun for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

LightReaper posted:

As a brit who started watching NFL early this year at the superbowl, I needed something to latch on to, to get invested in the game. I ended up initially choosing the Seahawks over the Patriots because Marshawn Lynch is a strange dude but when the new season started I made the decision to forget about the Seahawks, watch the Red Zone and just find a team that made big plays and had a young up-and-comer. When I heard about the Jaguars possibly moving to London I gave them some thought but decided that would involve too much heartache. Then I noticed one of the cheap QB options on the nfl fantasy website was doing really well and I started watching him with interest.

Tyrod Taylor motherfuckers! Watching the Bills without him was tragic but I've had tons of fun watching this dumb flawed team with it's dumb foot fetishist coach and spotty defence. I don't understand half the lingo of this sport still halfway through the season but I'm planning on staying up all night thursday to watch the Bills Jets game because of the high stakes and it's looking like it'll be a good match. Even if they don't get the wildcard I think I've found my team, though I won't lie if Taylor moved I'd probably swap with him.

As to an actual question, do QBs often switch teams? I guess I'm asking if it's safe to look into a jersey or whether I should be worried about another team stealing Taylor away at the end of the season.

Taylor was signed to a 3-year contract at the start of this year.

(Also don't buy legit jerseys, go onto Aliexpress and buy a knockoff. They're good quality and are around five times cheaper in £.)

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
The tff Bengals posters are all cool and deserve to crow some imo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

LightReaper posted:

As a brit who started watching NFL early this year at the superbowl, I needed something to latch on to, to get invested in the game. I ended up initially choosing the Seahawks over the Patriots because Marshawn Lynch is a strange dude but when the new season started I made the decision to forget about the Seahawks, watch the Red Zone and just find a team that made big plays and had a young up-and-comer. When I heard about the Jaguars possibly moving to London I gave them some thought but decided that would involve too much heartache. Then I noticed one of the cheap QB options on the nfl fantasy website was doing really well and I started watching him with interest.

Tyrod Taylor motherfuckers! Watching the Bills without him was tragic but I've had tons of fun watching this dumb flawed team with it's dumb foot fetishist coach and spotty defence. I don't understand half the lingo of this sport still halfway through the season but I'm planning on staying up all night thursday to watch the Bills Jets game because of the high stakes and it's looking like it'll be a good match. Even if they don't get the wildcard I think I've found my team, though I won't lie if Taylor moved I'd probably swap with him.

Cheering for a non-Pats AFCEast team is like being from any UK territory that isn't Britain, or whatever you English call yourselves.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Chromatic posted:

If the QB is good to great, then not that often. More so if he's young and it becomes obvious that they're building a team around him. It's tricky because seemingly good-great QBs have fallen off into absolute poo poo in recent years and quickly gotten rid of. See Schaub, Matt.

Also, I'm not really conviced that Taylor is going to be a great QB for years to come but it looks fun for the time being.
Thanks for the info! I'm more than happy to admit I'm not knowledgable enough to make sound judgements when it comes to elite QBs, I'm just having fun following his story and I've had fun watching most of their offensive team all season. Besides, I have no home town loyalties when it comes to picking a team and I wanted a middle of the road team that has scrappy games and a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. I declined Chip Kelly's Wild Ride though, that seems like too out there even for me.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Taylor was signed to a 3-year contract at the start of this year.

(Also don't buy legit jerseys, go onto Aliexpress and buy a knockoff. They're good quality and are around five times cheaper in £.)
Ooo I'll have to do that, do you get hit by customs charges? I noticed it's getting sent from china.

Chichevache posted:

Cheering for a non-Pats AFCEast team is like being from any UK territory that isn't Britain, or whatever you English call yourselves.
Patriots play a really good game and I love to watch Gronk dunk on fools but I deliberately steered away from the top tier teams as I didn't want to seem like a glory seeker. Besides, gently caress Tom Brady.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Steelers fans turning into pillars of salt makes the ironic posting worth it imo

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

LightReaper posted:

I declined Chip Kelly's Wild Ride though, that seems like too out there even for me.

Good man.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

LightReaper posted:

Ooo I'll have to do that, do you get hit by customs charges? I noticed it's getting sent from china.

I've bought two hockey jerseys from it and haven't had customs charges on either.

As a fellow UK fan, I have to make a case for picking the Raiders. The Raiders own. Good enough that they're fun to watch, not good enough that you're just gloryseeking.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 11, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Are there really people walking around England calling you guys out for cheering for the Pats or Packers, or are you guys just concerned about how the TFF community will view you?

It is important that you answer because I am taking meticulous notes. *sucks on finger before slowly opening up my little black book to the page between racist Panthers fans and people who whine about justice but still cheer for the Ravens*

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Not particularly, just no-one wants to be that guy who picks a team to follow just because they're doing well.

So yes, note down in the book "Hijo Del Helmsley is a fickle coward".

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Not particularly, just no-one wants to be that guy who picks a team to follow just because they're doing well.

So yes, note down in the book "Hijo Del Helmsley is a fickle coward".

OR you could pick a team that's doing well now and continue to support them even when they're poo poo next year! That's true fandom and the opposite of bandwagoning imo

e: Not the pats though, don't become a pats fan. There's enough already, all over the country. They wouldn't want you as a fan anyways

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

timp posted:

OR you could pick a team that's doing well now and continue to support them even when they're poo poo next year! That's true fandom and the opposite of bandwagoning imo

Yeah, but why would anyone ever pick the Bengals?

:v:

(Nah, I'm kidding, you know I love you, Andy Dalton.)

And yeah, don't pick the Pats. Because gently caress The Pats. That's the universal constant.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Are there really people walking around England calling you guys out for cheering for the Pats or Packers, or are you guys just concerned about how the TFF community will view you?

It is important that you answer because I am taking meticulous notes. *sucks on finger before slowly opening up my little black book to the page between racist Panthers fans and people who whine about justice but still cheer for the Ravens*
Well first off I don't give a poo poo how TFF views me :V, letting a forum influence your decisions like that is pretty dumb! And naa there isn't enough of a solidified fanbase for there to be fans like that here. It's more that I have some stupid lizard part of my brain that insists that I deliberately avoid the path of least resistance in a lot of things in life. Similar to when I'd avoid Toad or Koopa troopa in super mario kart, why win everytime when I could pick Bowser and get the ability to bitch when I come in fourth.

That said, if I pick an NFC team it'll probably be the Panthers because who can deny that smile :allears:

Edit: Hijo you have to try harder than that, what's the draw to the Raiders?

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

timp posted:

I've checked out of seasons before though. I think it was the Ravens or the TNF Chargers loss that made me give up on the Chiefs back in 2012. I didn't even follow what was going on until I heard Belcher Benoit'd himself.

God was it terrible.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The tff Bengals posters are all cool and deserve to crow some imo

I agree they are my friends

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Andy Dalton.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Steelers fans turning into pillars of salt makes the ironic posting worth it imo

Ugh those smug rear end Bengals fans.

*unironically calls their city Sixburgh*

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Spoeank posted:

Ugh those smug rear end Bengals fans.

*unironically calls their city Sixburgh*
If the Niners won Super Bowl XLVII we would've been hearing "San Fran-six-co" :shepface:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I've thought for a long time that the Bengals fans here are some of the nicest people on the board.

I'm going to be obnoxious as gently caress when the Titans actually get successful, I hope people know that. "If."

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
don't worry guys the Eagles will never be a dynasty so i'll just always be regular lovely instead of obnoxious winning team shity.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

If the Niners won Super Bowl XLVII we would've been hearing "San Fran-six-co" :shepface:

No we wouldn't. I would have ensured that by any means necessary.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Root for whomever you want, good or bad.

gently caress everyone else.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

NC-17 posted:

Root for whomever you want, good or bad.

gently caress everyone else.

Nah, my team can go gently caress themselves too. At least the front office can.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

My post was not facetious.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I live in Indioneapolis. Sad face.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The Jags are not moving to London any time soon, LightReaper. It's a funny joke, yes, but it's never going to really happen. Just like the team was never moved to LA. Shad Khan is doing weird and interesting things over the pond in regards to both varieties of football, but I highly doubt the Jags would move on a permanent basis to London. Shad seems more intent on working with Jax's government to make us London South (which would nice).

However, their guarantee to play in London at least once a year makes the likelihood of you ever seeing them live quite good.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 11, 2015

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Just like the team was never moved to LA.

Until soon....

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I love my fellow Bengals posters, and also Andy Dalton.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Ya'll have always been pretty chill; I too appreciate the Bengals posters.

Even when you're worked up about your success, it still feels ironic and all in good fun. gently caress the Steelers.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

LightReaper posted:

This is like giving yourself fetal alcohol syndrome midway into your life, but I suppose since you're British...

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Nah, my team can go gently caress themselves too. At least the front office can.

:agreed:

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

No we wouldn't. I would have ensured that by any means necessary.

Well, it would've happened once, followed by a muffled thud and a diminishing sound of a body being dragged away

Nov 6, 2002

LightReaper posted:

Tyrod is probably the best quarterback the Bills have had in nearly two decades so they probably won't be getting rid of him soon. Then again, this is the team that thought EJ Manuel could win back the job a little over a month ago so who know. Also Rex Ryan making quarterback decisions is a Bad Thing™.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

Ya'll have always been pretty chill; I too appreciate the Bengals posters.

Even when you're worked up about your success, it still feels ironic and all in good fun. gently caress the Steelers.

Its because they still expect to lose in their first playoff game.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

The Jags are not moving to London any time soon, LightReaper. It's a funny joke, yes, but it's never going to really happen. Just like the team was never moved to LA. Shad Khan is doing weird and interesting things over the pond in regards to both varieties of football, but I highly doubt the Jags would move on a permanent basis to London. Shad seems more intent on working with Jax's government to make us London South (which would nice).

However, their guarantee to play in London at least once a year makes the likelihood of you ever seeing them live quite good.
I mostly hear the stuff that comes out of UK news media, which talk about Goodell's goal of having a London Franchise, and then the news media goes "well who?" and they always look at the Jags. I'm glad to have your input on it though, I get the impression that the news that gets to me is very much of the "hopeless optimism" kind. What about the Rams?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

NC-17 posted:

Tyrod is probably the best quarterback the Bills have had in nearly two decades so they probably won't be getting rid of him soon. Then again, this is the team that thought EJ Manuel could win back the job a little over a month ago so who know. Also Rex Ryan making quarterback decisions is a Bad Thing™.

Let me tell you about this guy named Drew Bledsoe.

I know most Pats fans don't know about him since they don't acknowledge the NFL before 2001, but he was pretty good.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

LightReaper posted:

I mostly hear the stuff that comes out of UK news media, which talk about Goodell's goal of having a London Franchise, and then the news media goes "well who?" and they always look at the Jags. I'm glad to have your input on it though, I get the impression that the news that gets to me is very much of the "hopeless optimism" kind. What about the Rams?

UK media sucks, especially for NFL stuff, been living in Scotland for over 10 years now and all I can say is thank christ for Game Pass so i can get NFL network because Ho-ly poo poo listening to Sky sports attempt to talk about the NFL was painful as gently caress. It was ok when i first started watching as they attempt to explain alot of stuff, but after 2 years or so....Kevin Cadle can eat a bag of dicks.

Nov 6, 2002

Ross Angeles posted:

Let me tell you about this guy named Drew Bledsoe.

I know most Pats fans don't know about him since they don't acknowledge the NFL before 2001, but he was pretty good.

I included him in my calculations. He was a solid quarterback for the Bills, but Taylor is playing in a different era where the quarterback IS the offense and he's demonstrating that he can be that guy. The guy has a 71% completion rate, Bledsoe barely cracked 60% once in his time with the Bills.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

NC-17 posted:

Ryan was the one who initially scouted out Taylor and—if reports are true—is the major reason he is starting over Matt Cassel. Rex loves Tyrod and this is looking like the one time he's ever handled a QB situation well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

UK media sucks, especially for NFL stuff, been living in Scotland for over 10 years now and all I can say is thank christ for Game Pass so i can get NFL network because Ho-ly poo poo listening to Sky sports attempt to talk about the NFL was painful as gently caress. It was ok when i first started watching as they attempt to explain alot of stuff, but after 2 years or so....Kevin Cadle can eat a bag of dicks.

The best example was during the Bills/Jags game a few weeks ago, at halftime they had Jim Kelly in as a pundit, and they asked him about a team moving to London. He clearly hadn't been briefed at all, and just deadpanned "Nah, I've not heard anything about that."

I really doubt there'll ever be a franchise in the UK. It just creates way too many logistical problems.

• Locked thread