Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Chinese Batman posted:

So I paid a visit to the Rising Stones after clearing the 3.1 story.

theres actually a surprising amount of dialog relating to the current status of the scio.....

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Kuvo posted:

theres actually a surprising amount of dialog relating to the current status of the scio.....

:stare:

:eyepop: Well okay then

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Boten Anna posted:

If you can enter as i179 you can switch to whatever after you're there but everything is pretty tough so don't overextend yourself either.

Well, I finally hit 60 last night and started earning some of the new tomestones. The top tier one is uncapped right, so it shouldn't take me toooo long to get up to somewhere in the 190s.

asynchrony
Apr 26, 2012

blowing bubbles

Samba De Amigo posted:

Depends on how dedicated you are and if you want to actually enjoy the story. Also how much time you play a day.

Dungeons got buffed EXP across the board so now's a better time than ever to start.

I rarely care about the story in an MMO, but FFXI story was actually good, so I'll probably pay some attention to it.

I'm more concerned about how much I'll have to grind to get decent gear honestly (enough to go do Diadem or whatever everyone is doing), since everyone has been farming stuff for months.
Or did it sort of get a soft reset recently with Heavensward?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

asynchrony posted:

I rarely care about the story in an MMO, but FFXI story was actually good, so I'll probably pay some attention to it.

I'm more concerned about how much I'll have to grind to get decent gear honestly (enough to go do Diadem or whatever everyone is doing), since everyone has been farming stuff for months.
Or did it sort of get a soft reset recently with Heavensward?

You can go from level 60 to Diadem ilvl in about 15-20 hours or so of playtime; less if you spread it out over a week or so to get more daily roulette bonuses with that time.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Ouhei posted:

You can get the items to augment your AF armor and dye it black. That's all it is.

I totally forgot those existed, whoops.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Well, I finally hit 60 last night and started earning some of the new tomestones. The top tier one is uncapped right, so it shouldn't take me toooo long to get up to somewhere in the 190s.

Esoterics are the high-tier tomestones right now. They cap at 450/week. Law tomes have no cap and get you i170 gear (180 when augmented). Nowadays you can spend Law on the upgrade items instead of doing hunts but i typically do hunts while waiting for roulettes to pop.

That being said when you get to 175(?) you can start doing Pharos Hard and Arboretum for 185 gear and/or do Alexander to work on your 190 gear.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Get law gear and upgrades to law gear until you're 170 and can grind Alexander Normal maybe? That's how I did it in Ye Olden Days anyway, it's probably a bit faster now you can nab a couple of 200 and 210 pieces from void ark and esoterics.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

so i started playing again for reals after getting burned out leveling at hw launch

i see that exp gaps with no quests available are still a thing

I didn't have that problem. I just hit 60 and never did I feel like I was out of quests. I just ran around doing side quests in any region once I unlocked the currents for that region. It will mean my second class will be slower but whatever.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Some quick notes on Singularity Reactor bardmode, or at least the first half of it that we saw before dying horribly. Honestly I bet this is kind of a fight you really want to watch a video for or something, because as far as we can tell it's just a blizzard of individually very simple (and very familiar for coil types) mechanics that need to be executed in quick succession. The easiest way to wipe is to not think ahead to the next mechanic when dealing with the current one. Unless you're some golden god of raiding this is a a very easy mistake to make, but one that I imagine goes away with practice.

Fun fight so far, though.

Everyone's gonna want to stack on Thordan's butt after the pull, since his first attack is a bunch of circles centered around players they have to run out of. See: titan plumes. He'll then shoot out one of those huge fan attacks with tiny gaps in the pattern, which shouldn't be difficult to dodge unless, say, the servers are melting under the weight of a recent patch. Dragon's Eye doesn't seem to do much (it gives him a buff though, maybe a stacking damage increase?), but Dragon's Gaze must be turned away from (like the arihman boss in WoD or the glare attack in t7), or else you'll get hysteria and probably run into Thordan's cleaves and get oneshot. Then he'll mark everyone with lightning rods that will blast nearby players, so spread out for that. Immediately after the lightning bolts strike, stack up on Thordan's butt again because a huge split-damage attack is coming (thermionic beam from t9 basically). Ancient Quaga will come out for like 7k damage raidwide, and then he'll immediately go into a sword swing + tankbuster + sword swing combo that's pretty vicious. It's physical so congrats if you stuck it out and played Paladin! Otherwise throw out a Virus for the tankbuster (Heaven's Heel) or something.

He'll probably be somewhere between 70-75% at this point? Anyways stack everyone in the middle because Ser Charizard's fire chains + explosions attack from the Vault is coming out, so deal with that like you do in LLDR. Four towers which look identical to the T13 ones will show up as the fire chains are breaking; have someone stand in all of them. You have a few seconds after the explosions go off to get into a tower, so don't feel compelled to commit suicide-by-explosion if one's fully covering a tower!

Ser Zephirin will show up and charge up an attack which deals damage proportional to how much HP he has left. This is a really easy DPS check if you did the towers right. If you didn't everyone is paralyzed and the DPS check will be rather difficult but perfectly managable. A couple seconds before the attack goes off, three more knights will appear outside of the arena in a perfect isosceles triangle. They'll rush forward in a straight line T9 divebomb style after a few seconds; the most reliable way to dodge this is to stand on either side of the short side of the triangle (draw this out on paper and it'll make sense!).

Two more Knights will appear after the charge attack is done; they need to be tanked apart from each other. They'll soon cast Royal Authority, which gives one Damage Up and the other Vulnerability Down; if they were still tethered at this point both of them get both buffs and you're hosed. Dump DPS onto the one with Damage Up obviously. After a bit they'll both charge up Holy Bladedance; the one with Damage Up will loving eviscerate a tank if multiple mitigation spells aren't used (viruses, disables, tank CDs, shields, etc). Then they'll both use Holiest of Holies for a pretty big chunk of raidwide damage.

While this business is going on three of your DPS will be targeted with blue prey markers; when they go off the victim will take like 12000 damage and everything nearby will take damage based on how close they are to you. Think up of some system to move the targeted DPS to equidistant edges of the arena because otherwise everyone will die horribly (corollary: think of some system to prevent the tanks from being vaporized by the dives too! A-B-C placed at thirds around the arena work fine). Assuming you're still alive at this point, they'll recast Royal Authority to switch their buffs and you'll take it again from the top. Also at throughout this phase you'll see a message informing you that the enemy party has gained battle fever if any raid members go down, so I'm going to assume you're proper hosed if that shows up too many times.

Once both knights are down, put everyone in a loose circle in the center so they can clearly see which way they need to run to spread out. Three things are going to happen in quick succession here. First, those slowly expanding void circles from CT will appear under the party, so people have to run out. As they're running, Shiva-style ice crystals will appear over people's heads, so I hope you all ran out in different directions. Lastly, Thordan will use a pulse attack to push people outwards into the death-walls, so everyone has to run back into the middle after the ice crystals go off. Out, then wait a beat, then back in. The only problem is that ice detonations leave behind a frozen death zone, so you need to make sure you're not going to be pushed backwards into one while running into the center.

A bunch of the Comet/Meteor circles from the Xande fight will then appear. You've seen these before: if you can kill them all you move on and if you can't you wipe. A few players will get red prey marks during this phase, which indicates that they're about to take three mini-meteors to the face for like 2k damage each. I don't know if the mini-meteors do AoE damage because I'm a summoner and I"m never standing next to anyone. It's possible!

If you made it through the comet summoning Thordan will show up again and do his whole light-show + broken screen attack you remember from Singularity Reactor normal. Unfortunately we never got past this bit. Good luck!

Jesus Christ

Boten Anna posted:

Get law gear and upgrades to law gear until you're 170 and can grind Alexander Normal maybe? That's how I did it in Ye Olden Days anyway, it's probably a bit faster now you can nab a couple of 200 and 210 pieces from void ark and esoterics.

Oh, poo poo I thought this was a catch-up patch so the top-tier tomes would go uncapped. I guess that's what diadem is for if I can get geared there.

Has there been any hint about whether the 2.0 relic will be used for the 3 relic at all? I got it close but never finished it.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
The only stretch of levels I can barely stand to do, as a lover of dungeons, is 1-15.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The main issue I have with the 40-50 stretch is that SV and DD are boring as hell, and I have had way too many hour long AV runs to willingly go in there.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Saigyouji posted:

The main issue I have with the 40-50 stretch is that SV and DD are boring as hell, and I have had way too many hour long AV runs to willingly go in there.

Just FATEgrind in Camp Bluefog for a while.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Has there been any hint about whether the 2.0 relic will be used for the 3 relic at all? I got it close but never finished it.

if you finished it to zeta you get to skip getting it in 3.15 and just pick one to get, doesn't have to be the same as the one you did. you get one per zeta you finished. if you didn't you do it the normal way.

with nerfs to the nexus, zodiac, and zeta steps it might be worth finishing to get it out of the way depending on where you are

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

asynchrony posted:

Just saw the 3.1 trailer and now I'm feeling like playing this.

How long would it take me to get to 60 and farm decent enough gear so I can do the fun stuff?

My advice is don't rush and enjoy the ride. Gearing up once you hit 60 is pretty drat easy with esoterics, which rain from the sky, and Void Ark.

The story in FFXIV, especially the Heavensward story, is pretty good so just take it at your own pace.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I didn't have that problem. I just hit 60 and never did I feel like I was out of quests. I just ran around doing side quests in any region once I unlocked the currents for that region. It will mean my second class will be slower but whatever.

Jesus Christ

Oh, poo poo I thought this was a catch-up patch so the top-tier tomes would go uncapped. I guess that's what diadem is for if I can get geared there.

The top tier tomestone never becomes uncapped until a new one comes to replace it as the top tier one. Diadem is another source of i210 gear now though.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If I buy ceruleum tanks or whatever with my own FC credits, can I join a party led by a person in another FC and use that FC's airship for Diadem Hard?

Yup, they don't distinguish the tanks by FC or anything, just need one in your inventory.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Boten Anna posted:

The top tier tomestone never becomes uncapped until a new one comes to replace it as the top tier one. Diadem is another source of i210 gear now though.

Just to let people know Diadem isn't a total replacement to upgraded eso and alex savage gear. The secondary stats are not only randomly assigned but also have a random value. My current helm may have the same dex and vit as other 210 gear but it has 16 skill speed and no other stats at all. On the otherhand you can get every single secondary stat and they all be 50+ but it's stupidly rare so don't depend on it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Historically, how things have gone starting from 2.2 or so, is this:

New tier patches, even decimals (2.2, 2.4, 3.0):
- Top ilvl (T) gear available only to high-end raiders, generally to the tune of X drops (which may or may not be useful) and Y tomestone upgrade items per week.
- T-10 gear available to everyone through weekly capped tomestones. (Can gear A Thing Or Two.)
- T-20 (or less) gear, which was the previous tier's T, infinitely available. (Can fully gear Everything.) The previous tier's weekly capped tomestone becomes this tier's uncapped tomestone.

Catch-up patches, odd decimals (2.3, 2.5, 3.1):
- Tomestone upgrade items available to the non-raiding masses, letting them get up to T as well. Efficient options are weekly limited, putting up with hunts allow for grinding them out faster. Tomestones themselves are still weekly capped.
- T-10 gear available via alliance raids (CT/ST/WoD/VA), where you can win one drop per week but unlike high-end raiding you can keep trying over and over to have that be a specific drop you want.

Heavensward mixed that up slightly (in particular, there's infinite 210 gear available from Diadem with significant enough patience), but the general premise is still the same. Basically stuff 20 or more ilvls below the top tends to be infinitely available (hand-waving Alex normal during 3.0), higher than that is limited in some way. Top ilvl is generally limited to high-end raiders during new tier patches and then made available to the masses during catch-up patches; 10 below top is available to everyone, but still subject to various weekly limitations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I started playing Lords Of Vermillion and got to level 9 and can't seem to damage the boss. It wants me to use a trap on the field but unless I missed it the game never told me how to do this. Can someone explain this for me? LoV just seems like a mess. Triple Triad still my #1.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Unlike the other beast tribes, you can only do 3 Vanu quests a day regardless of your rank. It's not too bad though because that's 150 rep per day out of 4050 for max rank, so 27 days to max.

The exception is when you rank up, apparently you get 3 more random quests, but you can't repeat the same quest on the same day. So when you rank up you get 0-3 "bonus" quests.

e: apparently the bonus quests are an unintended bug!

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 11, 2015

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The bonus quests are intended, according to a recent post, but you're supposed to get 3 random dailies as a bonus when you rank up. The bug is that if you get a daily you've already done, the game won't recognize it and instead of respawning it or giving you a different quest, it just offers nothing at all.

https://twitter.com/FFXIV_NEWS_EN/status/664469562126000128?lang=en

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Does paladin just attract this sort of "IM PLAYER 1 IM THE HERO" player or something

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

yes

remove all paladins from the game

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
the only truly lovely tanks i've had in heavensward have all been paladins. i think you can expand a conclusion from here

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Any console players still experiencing PSN connection issues?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know I'm years behind but I just got my first beast tribe to trusted and got the bomb palanquin

Lalafells kneel on the side and hold the chain for dear life and that is loving adorable

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Just a heads up if anyone is sitting on a mountain of money they want to get rid of: I'm going to be selling my medium personal house (Goblet Ward 1, Plot 12). It's right next to the PBC/DGKK houses.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

megalodong posted:

Does paladin just attract this sort of "IM PLAYER 1 IM THE HERO" player or something

Yes.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Just a heads up if anyone is sitting on a mountain of money they want to get rid of: I'm going to be selling my medium personal house (Goblet Ward 1, Plot 12). It's right next to the PBC/DGKK houses.
I'll start the bidding at 1,000 gil.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Mordiceius posted:

TPT should buy that out, but I think they like their renegade status.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Mordiceius posted:

I'll contact you in game. It's an option I'd consider because I want a house and it's in a pretty good spot.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

sword_man.gif posted:

the only truly lovely tanks i've had in heavensward have all been paladins. i think you can expand a conclusion from here

It's been all dark knights for me, particularly ones who vehemently refuse to turn on darkside while tanking.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

It's been all dark knights for me, particularly ones who vehemently refuse to turn on darkside while tanking.

Why? :psyduck:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

armoredgorilla posted:

It's not so much renegade status as "holy poo poo, this location is hella good". Like, retainer bell and markbet board are five and seven steps away from teleporting in, respectively (they might as well be ours, instead of public) and just around the corner another six steps away is a vendor you can throw all your trash at.

And the view, the ocean is pretty, man.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Then you actually have to pay attention when tanking instead of watching porn on your other monitor or whatever it is pubbies do in this game

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
edit: whoops, accidental post

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The only dark knights I ever saw not using darkside were people immediately after HW launched who didn't realize you could turn both on at once, assuming it was a stance like sword oath and deliverance

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

armoredgorilla posted:

We have a loving Beach House, renegade status has nothing to do with it.

Plus what SwissArmyDruid said.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
So does Yoshi have a fetish for people losing eyes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

armoredgorilla posted:

It's more like they like their airship exploration progress. That's all tied to the house and lost if they move.

• Locked thread