Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

god this dialogue system is the worst random chance bullshit ever. im loving amazed they took FO3's terrible system and made it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Attempting a full-melee run through the game and I have a feeling the deathclaws will put a stop to that. But im still near the start and running around with a pool cue wrapped in barbed wire seems to destroying everything in one hit on normal.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rookersh posted:

So Damage Resistance caps out at 1000, so the 50 you get from Toughness is not very useful.

What does Energy Resistance cap out at? Trying to mentally figure out what Refractor translates to at +50. I mean Energy Weapons seem like a common enemy weapon type in endgame, but also that's a lot of investment into a pretty bad perk tree ( gently caress VATs ) if it ends up being something like 5% reduced damage from Energy Weapons.
DR doesn't cap out at 1000, there's a significant difference between 1200 and 1800 DR in power armor so I'm guessing it's a 1/value thing.

and 80 DR seems to reduce damage taken by ~30% compared to 0 DR, it'll be interesting to see if someone figures out what the formula for this poo poo is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

projecthalaxy posted:

The drum mags you can put on Pipe weapons hold 48 I think and those can be non-automatic.

Yeah my workhorse gun right now actually is a pipe rifle with a drum mag and the powerful receiver, it does really good damage per bullet (like close to 30) but it still fires single shot and has a clip of 48 bullets. Basically the ammo efficiency is fantastic, if I face something really gnarly I'll pull out my 10mm or an auto rifle but for most things the pipe rifle kills em just fine.

And with the faster reload drum mag as a later upgrade I expected a really lengthy reload on the normal drum mag, but its not bad at all! Barely feels any slower than the previous clip reload.

projecthalaxy posted:

Neat! You wouldn't know how to do this on a PS4 would you?

The UI should probably tell you when you're in the workstation. On the bottom of the UI it should list all the commands. Just look for track and see what it says.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Is there a point in the game where I stop getting trash Pipe weapons? I'm level 14 and I'm sick of cracking open loot containers just to get another terrible pipe pistol.
On the flip side it makes all my non-pipe weapons seem really cool.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

Attempting a full-melee run through the game and I have a feeling the deathclaws will put a stop to that. But im still near the start and running around with a pool cue wrapped in barbed wire seems to destroying everything in one hit on normal.

I don't know that that is even possible unless you avoid every area that has super mutants and most areas that have raiders. And also random stuff like suicide bomber molerats.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Can I assign the named npcs in Sanctuary to till the soil or is it only the generic Settlers who do that?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

RBA Starblade posted:

Can I assign the named npcs in Sanctuary to till the soil or is it only the generic Settlers who do that?

You can do the named ones. I set Jun to run my farm.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I havent explored propah bahston itself, is the Pru still standing? You gotta have boston's official iconic landmark...

Has anyone found anything higher than t45 armor?

wtf

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zodack posted:

Is there a point in the game where I stop getting trash Pipe weapons? I'm level 14 and I'm sick of cracking open loot containers just to get another terrible pipe pistol.
On the flip side it makes all my non-pipe weapons seem really cool.

You'll start seeing more good weapons in tougher areas, but raiders keep using pipe trash I think. It's like skyrim in that bandits use poo poo-tier armour but are tough inherently and come in numbers. Keeps the loot valuable when you do get something good and stops the bandits in glass armour problem from oblivion.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are there any cool-looking pieces of attire that also offer decent DR? So far I've only found sweet-looking outfits I can't wear with armor and which offer no DR, or lovely ratty armor that offers a zillion DR.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I want to like the Brotherhood of Steel guys, but their strict "Kill all synths" policy is kind of bumming me out. I think it might boil down to me killing all of them for power armor parts.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Has anyone found anything higher than t45 armor?
There's a T51 inside a building of an army base you have to clear out for a settlement. Just be forewarned Unlocking the door to it spawns a sentry bot outside. It's pretty much a deathclaw a minigun

IronDoge fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 11, 2015

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Perhaps a stupid question here. But there isn't a way to access the command console on, well, consoles, is there?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Please tell me there's a quest to put a bullet in this annoying as poo poo radio DJ and replace him with someone halfway decent.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Synths look cool from an artistic standpoint, but they really don't fit in Fallout aesthetically or lore wise. They feel like they've come in from some other sci-fi game.

Also, settlement building should have been tied to having a GECK and let you build nice clean Vault City style settlements as well as crappy junk buildings.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Icedude posted:

Please tell me there's a quest to put a bullet in this annoying as poo poo radio DJ and replace him with someone halfway decent.

Somewhere in the thread someone mentions there's a quest to fix that. Not sure if it's a :fuckoff: fix or not.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I'm going nuts :stare:ing at this game because of how much more there is to it over New Vegas. Not just the new mechanic of building yourself a shelter and getting force-fed a suit of power armor in the first drat mission after the intro, even the little things like hitmarkers, and how you don't have to manually push a button to open every single box just to see what's in it.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 11, 2015

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any silenced weapons early in the game?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fintilgin posted:

Also, settlement building should have been tied to having a GECK and let you build nice clean Vault City style settlements as well as crappy junk buildings.

Man word, I am really into base building and I had really hoped you'd be able to unlock new styles as you progressed and found poo poo. Ah well, I'm sure that is something mods will be on top of.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Elderbean posted:

Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out good weapons early on to upgrade in general... concerned I'm going to use too much adhesive and rare materials upgrading lovely guns that have hard to find ammo.

GlobalHero06
Jan 31, 2006
not a local hero
I just read this: "When you use an item with multiple components to craft something else, it will destroy the other components not used in the process, wasting precious rare materials.

For example, if you were to use a gold watch as a gears component, the gold will be destroyed in the process. However, if you break the watch down beforehand, you salvage all the raw materials."

Someone, please tell me this isn't true.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Icedude posted:

I also want this.

"That's totally a thing in the...uhhhh.... wasteland, because we're... uhh... all half dead and trying to... survive am I right?" *crickets, immediately segues into playing a song*

It's like a loving Goon trying to do standup.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Icedude posted:

There is a quest involving him later on, which changes some things.

I kinda think he's funny, though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Elderbean posted:

One of the merchants in Diamond City was selling a silenced pistol, not sure if their stock is randomized or not though.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I was exploring some lovely comic book store and I picked up a costume that I can't drop because it's apparently a quest item. Where do I go to start the quest that lets me drop it? Thanks for the help goons. Incidentally this game isn't very good.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I killed a raider who was wearing power armor. Is there any way to grab his power armor frame?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's a very disturbing level of enjoyment to be found in walking around tidying up the settlements. Just because it's post-apoc doesn't mean you should leave your poo poo all over the floor, goddamn.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I hit one of my biggest issues with Fallout/Elder Scrolls games last night.. Spoilers because it's side quest related: Wandering the edge of downtown Boston I found a lit amphitheater on the river with a bunch of people around. They were calling themselves the Pillars of the Community and were aggressively recruiting me into their flock. I won't go into too much detail, but it led to the leader taking me to a back room, demanding that I give him all of my belongings and after some dialogue, admitted that the whole thing was a scam to get people to give him all their belongings in order to help them live a simpler life. When I refused, he pulled a gun. I killed him immediately, but then his entire flock was like "What just happened?" and stormed me, so I had to slaughter a dozen or so lightly armed, entirely unarmored citizens because I couldn't explain why I killed their leader. To make matters even more annoying, now that they're all dead, I was now unable to loot everything that was laying around or even go into their locked back room because it would be considered theft based on criteria I don't understand. Mainly, the only thing holding me back was rep with Piper, who is my current companion, but still - realistically, it's just there for the next unscrupulous person who wanders by to take at their leisure. I understand not stealing items from people's houses, but once everyone who could conceivably be considered the owner of this item is dead, it should be fair game. Furthermore, how would a vendor even know it was stolen in the first place?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
So I got a side quest to check out a wanted poster in Diamond City. Problem is, there is no poster there! Anyone encountered this, or know what I'm missing if that quest is broken?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

IronDoge posted:

I want to like the Brotherhood of Steel guys, but their strict "Kill all synths" policy is kind of bumming me out. I think it might boil down to me killing all of them for power armor parts.

Yeah I've decided that they're all fascists (even if they're not really) and I'm gonna side with the robots for science. Probably kill them all for their armor parts soon.

I did lots of stuff with the brotherhood in past fallouts so sorry guys. :)

Elderbean posted:

Take gun nut and make yourself one

Mister Adequate posted:

Man word, I am really into base building and I had really hoped you'd be able to unlock new styles as you progressed and found poo poo. Ah well, I'm sure that is something mods will be on top of.

I could see them doing a whole "vault building" DLC like they did with hearthfire for skyrim.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

MMD3 posted:

Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out good weapons early on to upgrade in general... concerned I'm going to use too much adhesive and rare materials upgrading lovely guns that have hard to find ammo.

I know that feeling. My brother started playing a day ahead of me and blasted me with "DO NOT WASTE ADHESIVE" so now I'm scared to tweak anything that isn't already a rare or special weapon such as Paladin Whats-His-Face sick laser rifle

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I found an extra fancy pipe wrench in a drainage pipe with a bunch of (really weak) named raiders and I can attach a big rear end hook to it. I'm going to have to stop using guns for a bit and start whacking dudes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fizzil posted:

anyone figured out the general atomics galleria out? If you lie about being the supervisor they let you in, but i don't have the ID or the charisma to pass that dialogue check

yeah spoilers about what happens when you do that, basically the bots just sell you stuff (they don't have much) and they try to talk to you about their store. Like the one that sells Mr Gutsys is giving you a floor demonstration despite the fact that they are obviously all broken

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GlobalHero06 posted:

I just read this: "When you use an item with multiple components to craft something else, it will destroy the other components not used in the process, wasting precious rare materials.

For example, if you were to use a gold watch as a gears component, the gold will be destroyed in the process. However, if you break the watch down beforehand, you salvage all the raw materials."

Someone, please tell me this isn't true.

Its something that has been discussed at length in the thread, the current consensus is that those items aren't actually wasted, they're just pooled and not immediately put into your workshop inventory which is really stupid but Bethesda. :v: Safest is still to break things down manually, but it doesn't seem to be THAT broken.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010
Is there a point to other suits of power armor you find, besides the free fusion core in them?

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

LumberingTroll posted:

This is the building I have been working on.

It does indeed increase the Legendary spawn, been in mumble with some goons, one of them is playing on very hard and dosen't get them nearly as often as the rest of us do.

Thanks! Survival it is, then! Also, your building looks awesome! I've yet to try to build a whole house.

Unrelated, one thing I learned by messing it up: Tesla Traps are a one-shot thing. I made one, wired it up, and now it's dead. You need to use one of those fancy pressure switches or laser switches, which I didn't know existed. I had no idea this tower defense game was so complicated.

I'm a little disappointed how short wires are at max. You've got to make a ton of those connecting rods, which just burns more resources. On the funny side, there's enough copper in a light bulb to make a 20 foot wire, apparently.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I've noticed that dogmeat gives a sad whimper when inspecting people in this one area, but npc traders from outside the area result in a playful bark, I think dogmeat can detect synths.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Icedude posted:

he actually owns

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I found a way up on top of one of the highways going over the urban areas east of Diamond city. I see an interesting looking terrace I can reach from there, jump over to it, and have a look around when I suddenly hear a familiar roar behind me.

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
I won't spoil it for anyone, but if you're struggling with incontinence or constipation, jump into swan pond in Boston commons park.

• Locked thread