Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Guys, if the Mad Max game taught me anything, the solution is obviously to just cover your car in sharpened metal spikes that way people on foot can't even come at you :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

T1g4h posted:

Guys, if the Mad Max game taught me anything, the solution is obviously to just cover your car in sharpened metal spikes that way people on foot can't even come at you :smug:
Or make your pipes so loud that if you see someone coming towards your car, rev a bunch until they stumble away with their ears bleeding.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

scuz posted:

Or make your pipes so loud that if you see someone coming towards your car, rev a bunch until they stumble away with their ears bleeding.

Loud pipes truly do save lives.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kastein posted:

Roll the window down just far enough for his hand to get in but nothing else, roll it up once his hand gets in, drive off?
I like to watch russian dash cams, and it always surprises me when someone gets out of their car to confront the other person and they just roll their window down so they can get socked in the head a few times. I had someone pull in front of me once to stop and confront me, and all I did was peel out and he slapped his window with my hand.

Of course he caught up with me a mile down the road because I still wanted my tim hortons coffee.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Preoptopus posted:

When your working fast on 3 different jobs running around sometimes you dont grab em. Im getting some that can hang from my neck for sure tho.

I use my ESS ballistic glasses I took from the army as my safety glasses and they have a strap so I just wear them on top of my head if I don't need them (not working on anything) and pull me down once I start anything (even just standing under a car). If I'm doing anything where I need side protection (grinders and aerosols like brake cleaner or carb cleaner) I've got a good pair of safety goggles that look dumb but are not going to let anything get at my eyes. I also pop in ear plugs when the Dyno is on, but after spending years listening to static my hearing is already damaged.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

:ironicat: Its as if our broken Justice System hasn't convinced you that harsh justice does jack poo poo.

Concealed Carry is not an end all solution, and is just as likely to get her killed if she doesn't get the drop on the guy.

She did the RIGHT thing and removed herself from the situation quickly and called for help.

You need to bring this up with a Detective, have them pull the 911 tapes, and stir up some poo poo

"She must've done something to provoke him" is not a valid excuse, and Internal Affairs would go ape poo poo over this.

This post rules and I'm glad that you posted it

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

but... guns are good? dont you know no gun has ever killed someone without a person pulling the trigger and

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I enjoy hunting deer and ducks and geese and I'm looking forward to going elk hunting in Colorado next year but handguns have no purpose other to injure or kill other humans

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And the other dickhead could also CCW and just shoot first. Guns dont solve issues, they just raise the likelihood of being loving shot.

http://www.theonion.com/article/man-always-carries-gun-in-case-he-needs-to-escalat-38374

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Tusen Takk posted:

I enjoy hunting deer and ducks and geese and I'm looking forward to going elk hunting in Colorado next year but handguns have no purpose other to injure or kill other humans

When that human is kicking in your door or pulling you from a vehicle I have no problem with the goal of a handgun. That said I would follow up with the police department and see if you can get a no contact order or something for this guy, he seems deranged and who knows if he'll let it go at this.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CommieGIR posted:

"She must've done something to provoke him" is not a valid excuse, and Internal Affairs would go ape poo poo over this.

Not likely. There's a national statistic of less than 3% of all complaints against police officers ever resulting in anything besides a ruling in the officer's favor.

If you want something to be done you either have to go to the media or hire the scummiest lawyer you can find and sue them, anything else will just be swept under the rug.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Noise Complaint, by any chance are you in Texas? Because if so, you could always hire THE TEXAS LAW HAWK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL3MxAH-kDI

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Just out of curiosity, for the guys who are anti-CCW, what would you suggest she do if she HAD gotten pulled out of the vehicle. She's 120 lbs soaking wet. This was a 6 ft + probably 250-300lb dude who had gone full on wacko.

T1g4h posted:

Noise Complaint, by any chance are you in Texas? Because if so, you could always hire THE TEXAS LAW HAWK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL3MxAH-kDI

Hahaha, sadly, no, I'm in CT and this took place in MA.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Noise Complaint posted:

Just out of curiosity, for the guys who are anti-CCW, what would you suggest she do if she HAD gotten pulled out of the vehicle. She's 120 lbs soaking wet. This was a 6 ft + probably 250-300lb dude who had gone full on wacko.

Call the police, of course. :smug:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Looks like buying a Jeep in Australia is a bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sVmoOZRypk

Whatever happened to the guy who had that "destroy my jeep" fundraiser? Did that eventually get done?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

kastein posted:

Call the police, of course. :smug:

Well in any civilised country, this IS what you do. And it works just fine.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Noise Complaint posted:

That's absolute worst-case scenario - most of the CCW backlash is in response to ilkhan's "I really want someone to give me a reason to shoot them" response.

So if she was carrying at the time, and if after making a reasonable attempt to flee/deescalate the situation she was still pulled out of the car then yes, I wouldn't have a problem with shooting the aggressor, but "the only tool in my box is a handgun and I solve all of my problems with it" is a terrible mindset.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bajaha posted:

Looks like buying a Jeep in Australia is a bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sVmoOZRypk

Whatever happened to the guy who had that "destroy my jeep" fundraiser? Did that eventually get done?

Fuckin' love that little kid just hanging out in the little kid sling while his dad raps about a Grand Cherokee.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Geoj posted:

That's absolute worst-case scenario - most of the CCW backlash is in response to ilkhan's "I really want someone to give me a reason to shoot them" response.

So if she was carrying at the time, and if after making a reasonable attempt to flee/deescalate the situation she was still pulled out of the car then yes, I wouldn't have a problem with shooting the aggressor, but "the only tool in my box is a handgun and I solve all of my problems with it" is a terrible mindset.

They're poo poo at stripping wires I'll give you that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

but... guns are good? dont you know no gun has ever killed someone without a person pulling the trigger and

Guns are fun. Guns are great. But guns are not the great equalizer and despite what people claim, its not easy to actually turn yourself into a combat pro and be ready to go head to head with someone.

Geoj posted:

Exactly. Its when you have no other choice, all methods have been exhausted that the CCW comes into play.

Noise Complaint posted:

The studies show that you are more likely to be killed when using a firearm in self-defense.

But I digress: I am not anti-CCW, but I don't trust half these idiots with one. We can't even get the cops to use lethal force at the correct times, how are we to get someone with a bare minimum of class and some range time to know when is the right time?

If she had gotten pulled out, and she had no choice: I would recommend she use it. As it was, she stomped on the gas (likely out of fear and survival instinct kicking in) and she made it and called for help.

Situations like that suck, and there is no right answer, its all up to the exact sequence of events. But it just irks me when someone automatically goes "Man, I'd shoot the fucker" because more than likely you wouldn't be able to. Freezing up when that sort of scenario occurs is common, and your judgement will likely be compromised.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 11, 2015

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Cakefool posted:

Dunno, maybe you could wedge it in the sliding mechanism and strip it that way

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Noise Complaint posted:

Anything to get away. The most common advice about getting into a fight is doing anything beforehand not to get into a fight. After that, it's about getting away and getting out of harms way.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Protect ya neck.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

Anything to get away. The most common advice about getting into a fight is doing anything beforehand not to get into a fight. After that, it's about getting away and getting out of harms way.

This is the true purpose of the CCW. Its about ensuring you can escape with your life. Engage the attacker and sever and get the gently caress out of there and find help.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

This is the true purpose of the CCW. Its about ensuring you can escape with your life. Engage the attacker and sever and get the gently caress out of there and find help.

Look at the anti gun person telling you how to use guns.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ozmiander posted:

Look at the anti gun person telling you how to use guns.

Happy Veterans Day, muthafucka.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

You should watch Shoot 'Em Up.

I can't remember whether they actually strip wires with their guns, but they do just about everything else (including cutting an umbilical cord on a newborn).

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Noise Complaint posted:

If she had been pulled violently from her vehicle, it seems to me that she would be in the worst possible situation to try and pull a gun on someone. Most likely it would be that she would try and pull her gun, get it taken from her/drop it as something tells me that if someone is pulling you from a car, they aren't going to pull you from the car and then step back and let you gain your composure. So either it would have pissed the guy off more that she pulled a gun and proceed to beat the poo poo out of her or just take the gun and shoot her.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against CCW, my mom has hers and carried a 38 snub most of the time, especially when making long drives with just her and us kids in the car. I have no interest in having one or owning any guns, partially because my fiancee does not want any in the house(but she loves shooting), but also because I would never want to put myself in a situation where I would have to pull a gun. Hell I have been in situations where people have pulled guns for legitimate reasons and it is not a fun thing. Thank god it did not escalate and further and no shots were fired.

And if I want to shoot guns, I just have to go visit my mom and stepdad and shoot all the ones they own. Or visit my uncle in Arizona and shoot all his fully automatic weapons. Much cheaper than buying them myself.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Noise Complaint posted:

Welp, just had a guy attempt to drag my fiance out of her Jeep on her way to meet me to get our marriage license. Dude was raging because he couldn't pass her because of oncoming traffic and started driving erratically, they hit a stoplight and he gets out of his car and comes up and starts screaming that he's going to beat her rear end and tries to open the door. She gets away and he follows her for another 15+ minutes wherein he tries to get out of his car at every light.

She calls 911 and I start ripping towards them as fast as I can go safely and get there just as the cops arrive and pull the guy over. They take down the information, hassle the guy a bit, and then let him go, telling us that she must have done something to provoke him.

She's shaken up but alright and I'm still shaking a bit, but I'm mostly incredulous that they just let the guy go after some finger wagging. What the gently caress is wrong with people.

Your girl is a sweetheart but that is karma for changing my avatar. :cheeky:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Noise Complaint posted:

And you seriously think she could have gone all Rambo and been able to pull out said gun, even if she had the presence of mind to draw out said gun? Most likely he would have been able to rip said gun off her and now she is completely hosed. Or he has his own CCW and she's still hosed.

The best answer to what happened has already been posted. If you see someone coming LOCK YOUR DOOR.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

No you point the gun at the window when he starts trying to open the door...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

I can't remember whether they actually strip wires with their guns, but they do just about everything else (including cutting an umbilical cord on a newborn).

Everyone should watch Shoot 'Em Up. It's one of the funniest action films I've ever seen, just balls to the wall ridiculous. My favourite use of guns involves a merry-go-round/roundabout. Or maybe it's the start with the sign?? Or.......... :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

No you point the gun at the window when he starts trying to open the door...

And hope to god he also doesn't have a CCW.

What with that moron that shot the carjacking victim then tried to police his brass and flee.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

And hope to god he also doesn't have a CCW.

But but but, he wouldn't possibly be able to respond fast enough and pull his gun...

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And you seriously think she could have gone all Rambo and been able to pull out said gun, even if she had the presence of mind to draw out said gun? Most likely he would have been able to rip said gun off her and now she is completely hosed. Or he has his own CCW and she's still hosed.

The best answer to what happened has already been posted. If you see someone coming LOCK YOUR DOOR.

You should really get your blood pressure checked, dude. I just asked an innocent question because I was honestly curious as to the alternatives, nowhere did i even insinuate anything about "being Rambo." Relax the gently caress down, son. Your attitude is poo poo much like your posting.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Oh good, gun chat again.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

Oh good, gun chat again.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Oh good, gun chat again.

If I thought posting that road rage story was going to dredge up this stupid tired argument again I wouldn't have even bothered. I was just shaken up by the entire thing and wanted to vent.

Edit: I also want to clarify that neither her or I carry.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Honestly, everyone should watch Shoot 'Em Up. That movie fuckin owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

So cooking with booze is a shitload of fun. I've been practicing some basic French dishes since it's too dark out to work on the vehicles when I get home.

Got some nice flame off this cognac for the sauce.

The result? A decent Steak Au Poivre with creamy garlic mashed potatoes and roasted broccoli with olive oil and chili flakes.

Not really GWS pretty because I fuckin' way over did it with the delicious pepper sauce, but gently caress it, it was delicious, and about a zillion calories.

It also offends every single special snowflake diet request I got back on my wedding RSVPs. Gluten? Check. Dairy? Check. Meat? Check. Booze? Check.

It was kind of cathartic to make a meal with all that after having to call a venue and ask for 20 different special meals for people on a diet of the month.

• Locked thread