Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

program666 posted:

Sorry but what is supposed to be the big deal about the surface book again?
it's expensive, so it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Dodoman posted:

lol no, i have a ps4

my apologies, should never accuse anyone of something so awful without the facts

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
iz all goood

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

so my screenshot program bitched about not having control of prntscrn anymore, wtf

turns out it was a onedrive update

yes, let's default to saving everything possible to onedrive while we cripple it

i pressed prntscrn on accident and normally nothing would happen (except a screenshot would be on my clipboard), but yesterday onecloud popped up and went "hey dude want to save all screenshots to onedrive???"

i think dropbox also did that years ago, but i said no to it too

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Wheany posted:

i pressed prntscrn on accident and normally nothing would happen (except a screenshot would be on my clipboard), but yesterday onecloud popped up and went "hey dude want to save all screenshots to onedrive???"

i think dropbox also did that years ago, but i said no to it too

apparently this was 'introduced' in august of this year, but it never worked - MS just basically turned it on now, wtf

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

the best part of this saga is the Visual Studio team left a bit flag in the registry that turns this off.

I didn't realize this. :tipshat:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\General\SuppressUppercaseConversion
REG_DWORD value: 1

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

:chanpop:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

my just a bounty today

so, so broken

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

people gave me a lot of poo poo when I said apple was keeping an arm osx build in the wings as a hedge against intel sinking up the place and holding them back but every year that goes by with their chip design game improving feels like they're actively moving in that direction

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Clockwerk posted:

I didn't realize this. :tipshat:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\General\SuppressUppercaseConversion
REG_DWORD value: 1

lol, that's a quiet admission by the devs that it was a stupid design decision pushed down on them from above if I've ever seen one

pram
Jun 10, 2001

goddamn

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
microsoft released a windows update for security issues that crashes outlook and causes "network sign-in black screens" which is yet another groundbreaking strategy in microsoft's mobile first, cloud first consumer-based mindset

my just a bounty today

so, so broken
yeah this one

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 11, 2015

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

people gave me a lot of poo poo when I said apple was keeping an arm osx build in the wings as a hedge against intel sinking up the place and holding them back but every year that goes by with their chip design game improving feels like they're actively moving in that direction

gently caress, it's getting to the point where they would be dumb not to

bear in mind the A9X in the pro is just a dual core model to boot - the a8x was tri-core, they reduced the core count and massively increased performance, holy moleys

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

haven't they also been working on abstracting away cpu architecture differences i seem to remember something about that at wwdc

Dubstep Jesus fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 11, 2015

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Dubstep Jesus posted:

haven't they also been working on abstracting away cpu architecture differences i seem to remember something about that at wwdc

yeah. the biggest hurdle would be all the optimizations in the x86 architecture that are missing in arm but it's apple so long term they could do whatever the hell they want there since they're doing their own chip work and for the non-performance laptops like macbook/mba you could just say gently caress it and take the performance penalty while leaving mbp on intel for a couple more years

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

yeah. the biggest hurdle would be all the optimizations in the x86 architecture that are missing in arm but it's apple so long term they could do whatever the hell they want there since they're doing their own chip work and for the non-performance laptops like macbook/mba you could just say gently caress it and take the performance penalty while leaving mbp on intel for a couple more years
tbh i wouldn't be surprised if we saw an ARM macbook next year but i guess that depends on how developed that ARM version of OS X is

Dubstep Jesus fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 11, 2015

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

maybe we use computers in fundamentally different days. when i go to click something on the task bar, I'm not shifting my focus from the data set on the screen, i'm using my periphery vision to make out the icon of the program i want to use a good chunk of the time. all i'm going to be seeing is different colour blobs representing different apps. until someone decided not to make the blobs different colours anymore.

in that case just use win+num to launch the appropriate program

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

so my screenshot program bitched about not having control of prntscrn anymore, wtf

turns out it was a onedrive update

yes, let's default to saving everything possible to onedrive while we cripple it

lol if you need a separate program for screenshots

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

real story is OS X opengl drivers are such poo poo that a 65W tdp processor is being beaten by something not even using 6.5W

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

real story is OS X opengl drivers are such poo poo that a 65W tdp processor is being beaten by something not even using 6.5W

i didn't know the surface pro 4 ran OS X

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Ludwig van Halen posted:

intel is not known for good drivers for anything graphics related

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ludwig van Halen posted:

intel hd520 is the lowest end mobile integrated processor graphics and goes on a 15W (or 7.5W) processor so yeah its going to be poo poo

the iris 5200 though... that goes on high power mobile processors and is supposed to be pretty good

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Microsoft intentionally sabotages the OpenGL APIs on Windows Update drivers to drive adoption of DirectX.

If the benchmark is fair-ish it abstracted the OpenGL calls to DirectX, which still has more than its fair share of overhead.

If it's actually fair they got the drivers from downloadcenter.intel.com directly, but that isn't very Windows 10 and I don't know if Windows Update graphics drivers still block updating from actual graphics drivers like they used to in the Windows 7 days because I never give them the chance.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 11, 2015

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Smythe posted:

i haev the cheap ikea table and its p drat epic my friend. my desk @ work is like ww2 surplus or smth and ugly a.f.

*visibly shakes*

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

the best part of this saga is the Visual Studio team left a bit flag in the registry that turns this off.

in a company with functional cooperative divisions, "this feature is so bad the developers added a way to get rid of it" would be a huge red flag to the design division.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
vs2015 has lower case menus again v:shobon:v

pram
Jun 10, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Microsoft intentionally sabotages the OpenGL

:rolleyes:

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

vs2015 has lower case menus again v:shobon:v

some manager got two sweet bonuses out of this. first for revolutionizing the menu bar and "[providing] added structure to the top menu bar area" (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/06/05/a-design-with-all-caps.aspx) and a second time for bringing back the classic look and feel that developers know and love. epic

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

the comments in that article are also great

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

well to be fair they needed to put emphasis on the most static part of the window which contains no useful information

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Shaggar posted:

THE ALL CAPS IS FINE

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

massive queues for the grand opening of sydney's microsoſt store this morning

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Miley Virus posted:

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

at least hire a bunch of pretty actors to stand in line for some fake pr jeeze microsoft

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Miley Virus posted:

lmao

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I wonder if that store is close to the Sydney Samsung store. The street of failure.

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

You Am I posted:

I wonder if that store is close to the Sydney Samsung store. The street of failure.

same mall in the cbd or w/e

the store msft's in used to be a nespresso store lmao

to be fair there's a ton of foot traffic through there so watch them be empty 80% of the time

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

god why cant i be a senior director or vp for microsoft's retail division and get some fat salary to just burn cash and be lovely

pram
Jun 10, 2001
first order of business: :iamafag: chip and pin readers ahhalalool :razz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pram posted:

first order of business: :iamafag: chip and pin readers ahhalalool :razz:

3 year long feasibility study to refresh all payment terminals in all microsoft stores globally, with daily reports direct to me for review and comments

:flashfap: :gizz: :jackbud:

• Locked thread