Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bhlaab posted:

c) not having the player character talk
d) not insisting on a backstory, personality, and motivation for the player character

Having a forced backstory is fine, all the Fallout games did it. Having the forced backstory rely on your caring about a baby for no reason than 'baby exists' is a giant mistake.

Like at least Fallout 3 theoretically gave you a reason to care about Liam Neeson because you spent the tutorial with him. FO4 spends more time developing your robot butler than your son before you're asking to care about saving him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

so i added this to the [General] section of Fallout.ini and my framerate hasn't dropped from 60 since then with no graphical loss

uInterior Cell Buffer=12
uExterior Cell Buffer=144
bUseThreadedBlood=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1
bUseThreadedTempEffects=1
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
bUseThreadedAI=1
bUseMultiThreadedFaceGen=1
bUseMultiThreadedTrees=1
iNumHWThreads=8
iPreloadSizeLimit=262144000

check it out

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The settlement creator feature seems really shoe-horned so far. It's like Bethesda duct-taped a round peg to a square-hole and called it a day. It seems... nice... on the surface, but aspects of it are bizarre (ie instantly convert ruined buildings to scrap like you're a human Pac-Man) and I think the game would be less awkward without the feature in the game and rather focused more on being, you know, a Lone Wanderer in the Wasteland.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I know the east-coast games have nothing to do with the west-coast continutity but if there's one character I want to migrate east, it's Dean Domino.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 12, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The settlement creator feature seems really shoe-horned so far. It's like Bethesda duct-taped a round peg to a square-hole and called it a day. It seems... nice... on the surface, but aspects of it are bizarre (ie instantly convert ruined buildings to scrap like you're a human Pac-Man) and I think the game would be less awkward without the feature in the game and rather focused more on being, you know, a Lone Wanderer in the Wasteland.

It seems like it's an issue where if you like it, you really like it and if you don't it's kind of a waste of time. I have a friend who has seriously not advanced the story beyond the initial rescue of the Minutemen because he's been doing nothing but wandering around making settlements. It's not very immersive but I'm not sure that people care if they're making ridiculous superhouses.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

She could be a military lawyer.

Fallout: JAG Edition

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Can you still have 2 companions? I refuse to have to decide between Piper and Curie :(

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

MMD3 posted:

I can't figure out how the hell i'm supposed to get the corners of a building to attach using walls. They will only "snap" in a straight line, is there a way to make them do 90 degree turns?

Start by placing the floor, not the walls, then the walls will snap to the floor, and not each other.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

Can you still have 2 companions? I refuse to have to decide between Piper and Curie :(

Not by default but probably it'll be modded in.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

My main complaint is why like I have a dozen settlements of a few people but why none of it matters or effects the game in any meaningful way other then providing me with water there is no meaningful interaction with any of it once you do the initial help *generic settler* fight off *generic raider* quest. It is even less featured the phone game.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Speedball posted:

Awww, attaching a computer terminal to a radio beacon does not give you the ability to boost its power or upgrade its function in any way. Ripoff!

What DOES a terminal work with?

It lets you control advanced power features like timed switches and stuff.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

ShadowMar posted:

so i added this to the [General] section of Fallout.ini and my framerate hasn't dropped from 60 since then with no graphical loss

uInterior Cell Buffer=12
uExterior Cell Buffer=144
bUseThreadedBlood=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1
bUseThreadedTempEffects=1
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
bUseThreadedAI=1
bUseMultiThreadedFaceGen=1
bUseMultiThreadedTrees=1
iNumHWThreads=8
iPreloadSizeLimit=262144000

check it out

If this is like any other Bethesda game, you really do not wanna gently caress with these settings, especially the cell buffers.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

This is from a whole bunch of pages back at this point, but I was curious about this and did a little testing myself, and there is definitely a more noticeable difference between ultra and low than what you can see in those shots. I Took these today-

God rays Low-

God rays Ultra-

You can see pretty clearly that there is some funky aliasing going on with it set to Low, especially in the branches of the tree and where the rays meet the edge of the roof. The branches are lit much more consistently in ultra as well.

Perpetual fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 12, 2015

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I like being able to build my own society and economy as a jane fallout who is incredibly dumb and yet apparently finished law school. I imagine that she went to the alternate retrofuture Phoenix Online.

I kind of wish you could scrap the non-ruined houses also since they are all lovely and hard to build in. Just let me scrap the whole area and build my own gross shanty town.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Are some points of interest on the map just not able to be "cleared" ? I'm finding a frustrating number of buildings where I've cleared out all the monsters and looted all the things I can find but it's still not giving me the [Clear] marker on the map to know that I got it all. Makes me feel like I'm missing stuff.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

settlements are Good but i hope they patch it to make them function better and add more reasons to do them besides aesthetics and minor resource gains

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scoss posted:

Are some points of interest on the map just not able to be "cleared" ? I'm finding a frustrating number of buildings where I've cleared out all the monsters and looted all the things I can find but it's still not giving me the [Clear] marker on the map to know that I got it all. Makes me feel like I'm missing stuff.

I THINK that might be related to there being a sidequest that takes place there? I could be wrong but I remember having a building where that happened and it was because I had to do some random quest there later

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

settlements are Good but i hope they patch it to make them function better and add more reasons to do them besides aesthetics and minor resource gains

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the DLCs was centered around building settlements.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

So apparently upgrading weapons can change their class? If I add a stock to a laser pistol it counts as a rifle.

Does anyone know if a large barrel makes a pistol a rifle? Since I custom named my pistol I can't see the name update to reflect this.

What about a sniper barrel?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Lol, a Yagoi attacked my settlement (i provoked it a bit) and one of my minions jumped in my powerarmor. I mean it was rad as gently caress, but THAT'S NOT FOR YOU! Do they stop doing that if i leave it in the power armor crafting harness thing? I haven't unlocked building those yet.

This is from 10 pages ago but: never leave fusion cores in your power armors, ever. I had one of my settlers get in my power armor during a defense and then refuse to get out of it. I go on with my poo poo and come back a few days later and the power armor has straight up disappeared.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Police Automaton posted:

If this is like any other Bethesda game, you really do not wanna gently caress with these settings, especially the cell buffers.

literally none of those settings will gently caress up your game and even if it does you can fix it by removing them from your ini, you're thinking of ugrids which can gently caress your game up and aren't easily fixed

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
E. ^One of the DLCs will definitely be a settlement expansion imo.

Anyone want to hazard a guess when we can expect a mod for the settlement UI? Dunno how complicated that kinda mod is but even something as simple as being able to track and name settlers would make managing them way easier.

Building a great game feature then nerfing it with a lazy, low effort UI. If your settlers randomly started floating and carrying out their animations in midair it would be peak bethesda.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
This is the most insanely good celebrity look-a-like I've seen:

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Krinkle posted:

I watched someone else play through steam streaming but he didn't know/couldn't tell - was ron perlman the news reporter at the beginning when the alarms go off but NOT the guy who says war never changes (who was the main male character?)?

That is correct.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone found any cool-looking armor? I'm getting tired of wearing car parts but also I'd like to still have some DR.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Stunt Rock posted:

this game is pretty rad for letting you get these amazing likenesses with the basic creator. like i have never seen this in another game

I just wish i had the patience and skill to make characters like this instead of 'change hair color to blonde, add moustache'

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

titties posted:

I like being able to build my own society and economy as a jane fallout who is incredibly dumb and yet apparently finished law school. I imagine that she went to the alternate retrofuture Phoenix Online.

I kind of wish you could scrap the non-ruined houses also since they are all lovely and hard to build in. Just let me scrap the whole area and build my own gross shanty town.

That's why I like the drive in. If you figure out a way to deal with the death pool it's a big open area to gently caress around in.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Sistergodiva posted:

So apparently upgrading weapons can change their class? If I add a stock to a laser pistol it counts as a rifle.

Does anyone know if a large barrel makes a pistol a rifle? Since I custom named my pistol I can't see the name update to reflect this.

What about a sniper barrel?

I put one on the 10 mm and it's still a pistol to my knowledge. If you don't rename them, the game just keeps adding more and more to the weapon's name until you have like "glow sighted long barreled comfort grip 10 mm pistol" or something like that. But I don't I've had one switch types.

Apparently guns and energy weapons use different perks for the mods so maybe that has something to do with it?

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.
Apologies if this has been answered in the last 735 pages, but is there any way to throw grenades in VATS this time around?

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Stunt Rock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUQ3nVoN-ko

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
OSHIT, thank you, this helps tremendously...

LumberingTroll posted:

Start by placing the floor, not the walls, then the walls will snap to the floor, and not each other.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Stunt Rock posted:

This is a photoshop, right?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Perpetual posted:

This is from a whole bunch of pages back at this point, but I was curious about this and did a little testing myself, and there is definitely a more noticeable difference between ultra and low than what you can see in those shots. I Took these today-

God rays Low-

God rays Ultra-

You can see pretty clearly that there is some funky aliasing going on with it set to Low, especially in the branches of the tree and where the rays meet the edge of the roof. The branches are lit much more consistently in ultra as well.

That is what I was looking for. I thought it was funny since it was on nvidias site and they are the ones who asked bethesda to put in godrays since their cards are good at the calculations for it and AMDs are not. Also bethesda put in a stupid amount of them.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

She could be a military lawyer.

Yeah that's tr

Police Automaton posted:

She's a mom. Never watched Terminator 2?

:eyepop:

YES

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Frankston posted:

This is a photoshop, right?

It's pasted from WWE2k16

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

ShadowMar posted:

agreed, my favorite part about fo3 was the sequence that broke 99% of the time forcing you to replay it from the start 50 times until it decides to work

It worked perfectly for me the one time I played through FO3 lucky me otherwise I might've hated it too.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's pasted from WWE2k16

Well gently caress.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Apparently there are four fusion cores in the Weston Water Treatment Facility, and I can't find them. I killed all the Mirelurks (four of them were Legendary, for some reason) and hit all the switches and can't loving find them.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

ShadowMar posted:

literally none of those settings will gently caress up your game and even if it does you can fix it by removing them from your ini, you're thinking of ugrids which can gently caress your game up and aren't easily fixed

Oh yeah, ugrids. I remember now. My bad.

This is my character, he punches things:

I probably gotta restart though, I didn't really get the attribute system and thought 1 Is pretty much always bad and needs to be avoided at all costs. At first I found it all way too simplified with the lack of skills and I never really liked the move away from classical RPGs, but I dunno. somehow it works and is not that bad, I'm really warming up to the perk-centered side of things. I also saw the explosives and I wanna roll some more with them and see if you can make a viable explosives character. This was one of the most fun things in NV to do. Dunno if it's possible, still don't quite get this game, it's a bit of a shake up compared to earlier titles.

Photoshopping aside, the character generator is pretty good, one of the best I've seen in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

So I started placing turrets on elevated platforms, then deleting the platforms, seems to work out!

• Locked thread