Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Walked posted:

Currently in an MCSA course that work is paying for. Full of "senior" engineers.

HOW THE gently caress ARE WE ON DAY THREE AND STILL loving STRUGGLING WITH BASIC SUBNETTING
Jesus gently caress kill me.

I know it's not a networking class but god drat this is basic poo poo guys, come the gently caress on

"So... wait... you're saying 1 + 1 = 10. How can that be? How is 2 equal to 10?"

Actually quote from someone who just memorized net masks. Binary masking broke his brain. (he finally got it, but drat it took a long time)

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How the hell do you guys get all this paid training? :smith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I haven't had a phone at work in 2 years. And for the 3 years before that, I had one but never needed to use it.

Not having a work phone rules.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

flosofl posted:

"So... wait... you're saying 1 + 1 = 10. How can that be? How is 2 equal to 10?"

You see, there's this magic world of counting that isn't like what you're used to! You can only count to 1 over and over!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I need to get my own office.

Testing guy keeps coming by and watches me code over my shoulder. He's a super nice guy, and he want's to learn how to code, but it breaks my concentration and he isn't actually going to learn anything from watching me deal with super obscured low level C code.

GO THE gently caress AWAY. :argh:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

How the hell do you guys get all this paid training? :smith:

I basically get one class per year; I try to take advantage of it each and every year so it doesnt go to waste. Most jobs I've had have had this as an annual benefit; some require you to stick around for a year or repay it, others not as much.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Moey posted:

I guess I am the only one who doesn't pick up my phone for unknown numbers?
I run TrueCaller on my mobile and any spam-flagged number rings silent. On my desk phone I pick up any call though, cause unknown numbers are often service techs or cable guys who need access to one of my datacenters.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Walked posted:

Currently in an MCSA course that work is paying for. Full of "senior" engineers.

HOW THE gently caress ARE WE ON DAY THREE AND STILL loving STRUGGLING WITH BASIC SUBNETTING
Jesus gently caress kill me.

I know it's not a networking class but god drat this is basic poo poo guys, come the gently caress on

I took the RHSCA Test last year, however they switched it from RH6 to RH7 right after I signed up for it. The exam requires you to setup a RHEL VM, but the first problem is that you don't have the root password. In RHEL, there's a technique you can reboot the server into "single user mode" (sort of no networking safe mode) and reset the root password, but on RHEL7 it requires an entirely different processes.

So if you came to the test knowing RHEL6, but not RHEL7, you can't even start the exam. Like one gentleman than came in, sat down for a few minutes, realized he couldn't do it and got up and left.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Spazz posted:

edit: how much should I charge per hour?

vvvv Looks like server 2008+. I hope it is at least...

See, there's a number right there in your post. Add the appropriate currency symbol and you're laughing.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

flosofl posted:

Actually quote from someone who just memorized net masks. Binary masking broke his brain. (he finally got it, but drat it took a long time)

Holy poo poo.

Now we can't seem to understand how the default gateway and the subnet/network id are different things. :psyduck:

Edit: and I get it - we don't all know the same things. But we're 3 days in and still on this poo poo. And it's a holiday so I'm spending my own, personal time on this.

Walked fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 11, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

devmd01 posted:

poo poo that's pissing me off lately: aggressive sales guys
gently caress em all.

"Hi! This is melissa from citrix!"

We don't use any citrix products.

"That's fine! I want to talk to you about what you're doing with your cloud-based*click*"

Collateral Damage posted:

We have a new receptionist who hasn't yet been properly trained to yank the chain of telemarketers until they give up, so I've had two cold calls forwarded to me this week.

Our receptionists only cold transfer calls.

:argh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Walked posted:

Now we can't seem to understand how the default gateway and the subnet/network id are different things. :psyduck:
I had to help someone at a satellite office set up a network printer a couple of years ago, and the person who originally installed their network had put the gateway at the last address in the office's subnet. Unusual but whatever. However, the guy I was helping absolutely refused to accept that the gateway could be anything other than the first address. He insisted that it had to be something else wrong that kept the print server from being able to contact the printer, since he could ping it from his computer (which was on the same subnet as the printer). :cripes:

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
Wacky Wednesday strikes again, complete with MS update that Seriously Breaks poo poo.

KB3097877

Apparently fixed some vulnerability regarding embedded fonts and is causing Outlook/Publisher/Other poo poo to just straight up crash, and is even resulting in some machines failing to log on at all. Uninstalling the update fixes the issue. No word from MS yet but my ticket queue is a mess. :rant:

xov fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 11, 2015

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

xov posted:

Wacky Wednesday strikes again, complete with MS update that Seriously Breaks poo poo.

KB3097877

Apparently fixed some vulnerability regarding embedded fonts and is causing Outlook/Publisher/Other poo poo to just straight up crash, and is even resulting in some machines failing to log on at all. Uninstalling the update fixes the issue. No word from MS yet but my ticket queue is a mess. :rant:

Only saving grace of my job: Company is closed today.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Tigntink posted:

Only saving grace of my job: Company is closed today.

I think that KB only applies to Windows 8.1 so if you dont have a ton of those in your environment it's your lucky day!

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006

xov posted:

KB3097877

:argh:

Not limited to 8.1, it very much breaks things on Windows 7.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I think that KB only applies to Windows 8.1 so if you dont have a ton of those in your environment it's your lucky day!

Down below it says it includes Server 2012, Server 2012 R2, and WIndows 7 like Mainaman had to deal with.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Lightning Jim posted:

Down below it says it includes Server 2012, Server 2012 R2, and WIndows 7 like Mainaman had to deal with.

poo poo. Welp better double check wsus to make sure those dont get applied just yet.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress em all.

"Hi! This is melissa from citrix!"

We don't use any citrix products.

"That's fine! I want to talk to you about what you're doing with your cloud-based*click*"

Yeah gently caress this. I got 4 emails in two weeks from some rear end in a top hat trying to sell me on some no-name automated build system. I finally broke down and told him to gently caress off instead of just ignoring him after he had his third email be "one last attempt to get in touch with you" and fourth one was "just trying again".

I bet anyone he goes on a date with really loves getting the stalker treatment when they stop replying to his calls.

Bonus: He was trying to sell me on a build system, despite me not being a build engineer for my current company, based on my linked in saying I was previously a build engineer at another company. So he was both irritating and inept :v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Jumped into WSUS and declined that one. Looking at the status report none of them were applied yet.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Hi Stripe, just following up on...

No you aren't, because I didn't reply to your email. Go away, sales.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Goddamnit, and here I thought auto-approving security updates was the best thing ever.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I took the RHSCA Test last year, however they switched it from RH6 to RH7 right after I signed up for it. The exam requires you to setup a RHEL VM, but the first problem is that you don't have the root password. In RHEL, there's a technique you can reboot the server into "single user mode" (sort of no networking safe mode) and reset the root password, but on RHEL7 it requires an entirely different processes.

So if you came to the test knowing RHEL6, but not RHEL7, you can't even start the exam. Like one gentleman than came in, sat down for a few minutes, realized he couldn't do it and got up and left.

You can't bin/bash rhel7?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Can we talk about account security? I just changed my password for my google account which led to a frighting cascade of failures. I have two factor authentication setup on my account and I use google voice for my number.

-Change google account password, receive text on phone -> everything good.
-Hangouts app now signs out due to new password, put new password into hangouts -> sends text to my google voice number.
-Google voice is signed out due to new password, put in new password into google voice -> sends text to google voice number which then sends it to hangouts. Can't get into hangouts yet as I can't get to the text code for two factor authentication.
-Try to sign into my google account on my computer -> sends text to google voice which forwards to google hangouts which I can't get to.

Thank god I had another number saved to my google account to send a text to. But If I hadn't then I dunno wtf I would have done in that case.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

jaegerx posted:

That's how you do it, but "single" still worked on RHEL6.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pofcorn posted:

Goddamnit, and here I thought auto-approving security updates was the best thing ever.

Dear lord. I didn't think this was actually the case. The other windows admins and I were just having a discussion, spawned from finding out the KB caused issues, about our experiences talking with other support personnel at microsoft and symantec, whenever we open a case with these guys they are always super surprised we have a completely separate QA/DV environment and that we actually rigorously test patches, upgrades etc before even putting them into our production environment, and even when we DO move to production we start with a slow rollout (generally) ofl ike 10 machines, then 30, then 50, then 100 more etc etc. I also found a shitload of forums posts etc after googling the KB stating that people had released the patch to their company and now people couldn't work etc etc.

I just don't see why people auto-approve patches or upgrades or whatever to EVERYONE immediately. gently caress, at least create a separate group of machines that contain user's that are slightly less idiotic than the rest, push patches to them, wait a week, did they report any problems that could be traced to a patch? No? Ok, release them to everyone else. Yes? Google and uninstall patches till you figure out which one is the problem.

*EDIT*

Also, I'm unsure if you're being sarcastic or not pofcorn, my post wasn't specifically directed at you.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MF_James posted:

Also, I'm unsure if you're being sarcastic or not pofcorn, my post wasn't specifically directed at you.

This is a painful lesson you only need to learn once. I just set everything to be 3 days behind, gives me time to read up on KBs and push them out to a few test machines before they go company wide.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Yeah, I did auto-approve security updates (but only security). I just changed the rule to approve them to my test group.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

jaegerx posted:

This is the procedure but you also need to do an SELinux relabel for it to take effect if I recall.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

theperminator posted:

This is the procedure but you also need to do an SELinux relabel for it to take effect if I recall.

This is correct. There's a few more steps, and "single" doesn't work in RHEL7. The pisser was the class, when paid for and scheduled was for RHEL6, but in the month between scheduling and the actual date, it changed to RHEL7. A lot of people were unhappy, since there was no warning at all.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Star Wars latest Blu-ray releases came with bonus discs of the original theatrical cuts in this format, It's awful.

So if I get the Blu-ray disk I can get the original version of the movie without Greedo firing first or any other CGI crap AND the scenes with Biggs on Tatooine?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Agrikk posted:

So if I get the Blu-ray disk I can get the original version of the movie without Greedo firing first or any other CGI crap AND the scenes with Biggs on Tatooine?

Sorry, not blu-ray, but DVDs:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-IV-...in%3A2650304011

It comes with the 1977 theatrical cut in a crappy format.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

This is correct. There's a few more steps, and "single" doesn't work in RHEL7. The pisser was the class, when paid for and scheduled was for RHEL6, but in the month between scheduling and the actual date, it changed to RHEL7. A lot of people were unhappy, since there was no warning at all.

Hope they issued refunds on the grounds that people were not getting what they paid for.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

RFC2324 posted:

Hope they issued refunds on the grounds that people were not getting what they paid for.
It's odd, because there was a turnover period, and this shouldn't have happened at an official training. Even if unofficial, you could still take the RHCE6 and just roll with it. Much more than just changing the root password changed

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

As far as those cold-call salesmen, I just don't answer the phone. But someone in my department answers his, and he lets them do their spiel then basically says this: "That sounds like it might be kind of interesting, but you were breaking up a little there. Can you repeat that?"

They repeat, he says it again. Over and over and over. I heard him say it to someone about eight times the other day before they finally hung up.

Receptionist forwards most of these to our "Vendor voicemail" line, where the messages never get checked. I just have to go in there every few months and delete them all when the mailbox fills up.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

MrMojok posted:

As far as those cold-call salesmen, I just don't answer the phone. But someone in my department answers his, and he lets them do their spiel then basically says this: "That sounds like it might be kind of interesting, but you were breaking up a little there. Can you repeat that?"

They repeat, he says it again. Over and over and over. I heard him say it to someone about eight times the other day before they finally hung up.

i want to meet that man and shake him by the hand for his good work

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Come on, guys, they're just regular people trying to put food on the table. They probably hate their jobs just as much you hate them but if it's that or unemployment, can you blame them?

:smith:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

totalnewbie posted:

Come on, guys, they're just regular people trying to put food on the table. They probably hate their jobs just as much you hate them but if it's that or unemployment, can you blame them?

Doesn't mean you should have to waste your time to entertain them.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

xov posted:

KB3097877

Thanks for the heads up, I just blacklisted it in SCCM. It would've only hit Pilot Group 1, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

totalnewbie posted:

The same argument could be applied for the people who call me to let me know that the IRS is suing me, and that if I give them my credit card number I can just pay the balance now to make it go away.