Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What about when we had one in Evil of the Daleks :colbert:

That was not the last time we had one, thank you very much.

That was the best time we had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Going to lol when the Dalek/Time Lord hybrid turns out to be The Master.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Proposition Joe posted:

oh that's cool, doctor is human on his mother's side, master is dalek on her father's side

it's like poetry, it rhymes

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

PriorMarcus posted:

I have no interest in this hybrid nonsense.

Also, Michael Pickwoard the shows production designer has confirmed that the show won't start production on Season 10 until March, much later than usual, so the series is probably going to bridge 2016/16 with the Christmas special in the middle.
Ah ok. So it's going to be a "full series" in the same way series 7 was: two short series a year apart, please don't notice.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

HD DAD posted:

Long before the Time War, the Time Lords knew it was coming. Like a storm on the wind. There were many prophecies and stories. Legends before the fact. One of them was about a creature called the Hybrid: half Dalek, half Time Lord. The ultimate warrior. But whose side would it be on? Would it bring peace, or destruction? Was it real, or a fantasy?
I can't believe they're taking the hybrid so seriously and making it some legendary thing when it sounds completely uninteresting.

quote:

Moffat wondered “How do you break the Doctor” Would he still be a hero without witness and reward? “It’s putting the Doctor alone in hell”
Remember when the Doctor had fun? Remember when he could be happy without it being a mask for some trauma? For some reason we can't have that any more.

quote:

DWM hints that Moffat may have changed something in the mythology, something Moffat was quite nervous about doing
Go away, Moffat. Just go away.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I hate how new series Time Lords seem to love prophecy so much. They're loving Time Lords. Prophecy is meaningless when you travel through time as a way of life.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheezle posted:

I hate how new series Time Lords seem to love prophecy so much. They're loving Time Lords. Prophecy is meaningless when you travel through time as a way of life.

Yes, although you could argue it as being shorthand for 'potential future timeline'.

The Time Lords have a nonintervention policy, so history should run along a set course that they have observed through their mastery of time travel. Event One to Event Two and all the inconsequential minutiae inbetween. When rogue elements like the Doctor run around (and hence why they limit time travel access to other species), it upsets the amberised state of events they have on record, creating fracturing timelines of possibility, which they haven't accounted for.

I don't like the idea of basically omniscient science gods using mysticism terms like prophecy because, honestly, it seems a bit beneath them. RTD literally having a soothsayer on the High Council in the End of Time particularly stuck in my craw.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, although you could argue it as being shorthand for 'potential future timeline'.

The Time Lords have a nonintervention policy, so history should run along a set course that they have observed through their mastery of time travel. Event One to Event Two and all the inconsequential minutiae inbetween. When rogue elements like the Doctor run around (and hence why they limit time travel access to other species), it upsets the amberised state of events they have on record, creating fracturing timelines of possibility, which they haven't accounted for.

I don't like the idea of basically omniscient science gods using mysticism terms like prophecy because, honestly, it seems a bit beneath them. RTD literally having a soothsayer on the High Council in the End of Time particularly stuck in my craw.

The soothsayer demonstrated really well how far the Timelords had sunk. They had ended up invested in prophecy and mysticism again at the end of the Time War band Rassilon, who always played those beliefs for power made everyone eat it up, until she annoyed him and he killed her without a thought.

The constant fracturing of time driving people insane, and making both Time Lord and Dalek turn to religious fervour is really clever. It's why the Dalek Emperor turned to religion ("worship him") as a means of control and why Khan was revered by the Daleks. It's also the The Moment works much better as an enigmatic, devine sounding idea than a box that lets you destroy the universe if Billie Piper can't talk you out of it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, huh. I didn't realise Saturday's ep was by Mark Gatiss. Hmm.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

One of them was about a creature called the Hybrid: half Dalek, half Time Lord. The ultimate warrior.

If it's half as good as the last long Ultimate Warrior storyline..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78XbX5tVFeY

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Proposition Joe posted:

It's either going to be her or Clara. Or perhaps it turns out Clara is Missy all along or something dumb like that.

"If you took everything from him, betrayed him, trapped him, and broke both his hearts...how far might the Doctor go?

Returning to Gallifrey, the Doctor faces the Time Lords in a struggle that will take him to the end of time itself. Who is the Hybrid? And what is the Doctor’s confession?

The synopsis for the finale.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The End of Time?

Again?

What is that, like, the fifth time? In the Revival alone?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Captain Fargle posted:

It's either going to be her or Clara. Or perhaps it turns out Clara is Missy all along or something dumb like that.

Haha then she was trying to get the Doctor to kill herself in the season premiere.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hmm. In her splintered selves, Clara has been both Time Lord (well, Gallifreyan) and Dalek.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Unkempt posted:

EXCLUSIVE IMAGE OF DALEK/TIME LORD HYBRID

Deeply disappointed that wasn't Martha.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Action Jacktion posted:

I can't believe they're taking the hybrid so seriously and making it some legendary thing when it sounds completely uninteresting.

Remember when the Doctor had fun? Remember when he could be happy without it being a mask for some trauma? For some reason we can't have that any more.

Go away, Moffat. Just go away.

Seriously. I miss fun episodes where it's not the end of the universe!!!!!!!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Review copies for Heaven Sent have gone out, and it's getting unanimous praise.

Gallifrey Base posted:

...I'd even go so far as to say it's got an almost Bergman kind of feel to it. I'm serious. We've honestly never seen an episode like this before.

Moffat is flexing the same writing muscles he used on Listen with this one. It proves that even after nearly 12 years writing for the show he can still knock it out of the park, and not lazily fall back on well-worn tropes when he puts his mind to it.

This is the episode that solely has the The Doctor with no other supporting cast that Moffat originally wanted to submit to Big Finish like, 15 years ago.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

HD DAD posted:

This is the episode that solely has the The Doctor with no other supporting cast that Moffat originally wanted to submit to Big Finish like, 15 years ago.

Ugh, so it's not even Full Cast?

LAME!

:colbert:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

HD DAD posted:

Wanna watch that episode

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
It seems possible, based on Capaldi's comments and trailers, that Clara actually leaves/bites it/goes to a parallel dimension with a human Doctor in this coming episode. Which will be a bold move if true.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Barry Foster posted:

It seems possible, based on Capaldi's comments and trailers, that Clara actually leaves/bites it/goes to a parallel dimension with a human Doctor in this coming episode. Which will be a bold move if true.

Imagine that

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I skipped the next time trailer but I know there's some more Jenna still coming, as there were BTS pics of her filming in a waitress diner costume.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Teek posted:

I skipped the next time trailer but I know there's some more Jenna still coming, as there were BTS pics of her filming in a waitress diner costume.

I bet she's back as one of her time displaced versions and the Doctor pretends not to know her.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

I bet she's back as one of her time displaced versions and the Doctor pretends not to know her.

That's probably the best scenario.

This was a really well done goodbye. Reviving her would cheapen it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

That'd be worse than Rose...he could run across random Claras for the rest of his lives, all throughout time and space and can't even say hi. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Astroman posted:

That'd be worse than Rose...he could run across random Claras for the rest of his lives, all throughout time and space and can't even say hi. :(

It'd be like meeting someone with short term memory loss. Every day the Doctor is meeting Clara for the first time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

It'd be like meeting someone with short term memory loss. Every day the Doctor is meeting Clara for the first time.

50 First Daleks

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I'm also going to guess that she's a waitress in the American diner near Lake Silenco because they filmed in the same location.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I think it's more likely that the Doctor realises there's about a billion Claras out in the universe and he can just go pick up another. So he finds one, and then realises it's just not that easy, because she's not 'his' Clara.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I think it's more likely that the Doctor realises there's about a billion Claras out in the universe and he can just go pick up another. So he finds one, and then realises it's just not that easy, because she's not 'his' Clara.

And so Doctor Who and Rick and Morty collide even further.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

And so Doctor Who and Rick and Morty collide even further.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hey, look, it's a cowboy version of Clara

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Hey, look, it's a cowboy version of Clara

Oh looks its evil Clara with a Goatee!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh god, Cronenberg Clara.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Maybe he's already been doing that, and he's already gone through an impossibly large number of Claras.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Radio Times synopsis for Hell Bent.

quote:

"The Doctor faces a bittersweet homecoming as, betrayed and trapped, with both his hearts broken, he demonstrates just how far he would be willing to go if someone took everything he cared about from him. With his quest to reach Gallifrey seemingly over, the Time Lord engages his own people in a struggle that will take him to the very end of time itself, but who is the mysterious `Hybrid' mentioned in the Gallifreyan prophecy? And just what was it the Doctor left behind as his `confession'? Peter Capaldi stars in the series finale, but will return later this year alongside Alex Kingston's River Song for the traditional Christmas special. Last in the series."

Cast:
The Doctor: Peter Capaldi
The President: Donald Sumpter
The General: Ken Bones
Female General: T'nia Miller
Gastron: Malachi Kirby
Ohila: Clare Higgins
The Woman: Linda Broughton
Plump Man: Martin T Sherman

Ken Bones returns as the same General he played in Day of the Doctor. Also, I'm pretty sure they're not listing a few surprise cameos.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
excited for Plump Man

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Woman isn't the same actress as The Woman in The End of Time. Thankfully.

Donald Sumpter has a perfect Time Lord face, doesn't he?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

The Woman isn't the same actress as The Woman in The End of Time. Thankfully.

Donald Sumpter has a perfect Time Lord face, doesn't he?

Looks more like an English teacher to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Looks more like an English teacher to me

I see you picked the worst photo for him.

• Locked thread