Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I found a second suit of slightly junked power armor, hell yeah. I guess the best thing to do with it is set up a second settlement and drop it there for later use? I can't craft power armor stations yet so it's going to stay sort of hosed up for a while unless I swap the pair of suits out at Sanctuary.

I can't stop messing with the settlement stuff even though I'm sticking to prefabs for now. It's a lot more fun than I thought it'd be! Sanctuary's up to 7 dudes now.

Kirs posted:

This is so stupid that she can actually predict future. I'd like it was just a stupid hallucinations from too much Jet.

It is, but psychics have been in the series since FO1 and that one kid in NV did the same thing just without the sweet drugs, so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I like how the loading screen tooltip that mentions the plastic surgeon has this gnarly loving buzzsaw next to it.

e: quoting my question for new page

Doc Morbid posted:

When do I get something to replace this hideous vault suit? I'm like 15 hours in, and the vault suit is still the only decent thing you can wear underneath the armor. I have some road leathers, which look cooler but have lovely stats and can't be upgraded so I'm not bothering with those. I suppose I could just put on the Silver Shroud coat again...

Looks like someone on Nexus made a black and gold recolor of the vault suit, which looks nicer than the default blue one but is only for female characters because :nexus:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

For the Old Guns quest, I'm supposed to be zeroing the artillery but the dude just stands by the radio and keeps saying there's not enough power. What gives? I have 43 units of power all linked up to the various lights, and plenty for the radio. Plus you can't task other settlers to do it or order the guy to broadcast.

All these generators are probably polluting my crops :v:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Do enemies always spawn inside a settlement during an attack? I built giant loving walls everywhere with well defended entrances specifically to avoid this sort of nonsense, but I rolled up to an attack on Abernathy and there were muties already inside the perimeter.

Going to be real pissed if I spent all this time on good walls for no loving reason.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Psychics are a pretty common thing in this kind of post-apocalyptic mutant setting. If anything I'm impressed that Bethesda didn't dive off a cliff with it and let you be a loving pyrokinetic wizard or whatever.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Doc Morbid posted:

When do I get something to replace this hideous vault suit? I'm like 15 hours in, and the vault suit is still the only decent thing you can wear underneath the armor. I have some road leathers, which look cooler but have lovely stats and can't be upgraded so I'm not bothering with those. I suppose I could just put on the Silver Shroud coat again...

Looks like someone on Nexus made a black and gold recolor of the vault suit, which looks nicer than the default blue one but is only for female characters because :nexus:

Military Fatigues give +2 Agility, so that's pretty nice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

I like how the loading screen tooltip that mentions the plastic surgeon has this gnarly loving buzzsaw next to it.

e: quoting my question for new page

Honestly, I've just been switching back and forth between wearing Road Leathers with armor and wearing Preston Garvey's duster (which I stole from him by making him equip something else). The Vault Suit has better stats but screw it, I gotta look good.

Which I don't when I'm in armor, but at least I'm not wearing a goofy blue and yellow suit.

I'm still looking for decent-looking actual armor out there, but so far I haven't found anything. It's either "look like a pile of cobbled-together bullshit" or "have no damage resistance at all" and that kind of sucks.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
I look like a gnarly Victor von doom at this point. Assault gas mask + this spiky metal raider armour I looted from a legendary enemy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've been complaining a lot about the game in this thread (the quests are too linear! there's not enough good-looking gear that's actually viable to wear!), so here's my positive post:

Weapon modding is pretty legit. I got this unique laser pistol called Old Faithful that deals double damage if the target is at full health. Cool, I thought. I've been leveling both Gunslinger and Rifleman, so I can ditch Righteous Authority for this. My Rifleman is higher than my Gunslinger, but that's still okay, Old Faithful had higher base damage either way. Then I took it to the modding bench and realized that I could slap a stock on it and the game would count it as a rifle.

Any game that lets me outright change the weapon type of a unique weapon with a badass perk is all right by me.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Catsplosion posted:

I look like a gnarly Victor von doom at this point. Assault gas mask + this spiky metal raider armour I looted from a legendary enemy.

Pictures

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey I haven't had a lot of time to play the game, and when I do play, I play very slowly. So I'm just popping in to ask a random question:

I helped some dude out at Thickett Excavations and I got sneaky and read his log entries on a nearby terminal. Seems like he wants to use this place as an outpost to be a raider. Can I just up and kill the dude now since he's bad?

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Dumb framerate woes post: I've played 2 and a half hours or so and my fps is pretty drat bad, regardless of all the fixes and settings ice tried

I messed with the .ini files and turned the apparent 30 fps cap value and a couple others with zero help at all.

I've even put all of the setting the lowest they could possibly go and it still lags a ton

i5, 16gb ram, 6900 ati (yeah I know this is old, but shouldn't effect it too much?)

Its probably around 30-25fps with it getting slowly slower...

I googled this a ton and went through the steam guide as well as guides on other sites

Would appreciate the help!!!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

Hey I haven't had a lot of time to play the game, and when I do play, I play very slowly. So I'm just popping in to ask a random question:

I helped some dude out at Thickett Excavations and I got sneaky and read his log entries on a nearby terminal. Seems like he wants to use this place as an outpost to be a raider. Can I just up and kill the dude now since he's bad?

The choice is yours, my friend. Dispense justice however you see fit. The magic of video games :)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How high do weapon attack ratings go? My cool unique laser pistol can, I'm pretty sure, go up to 60ish at max once I get the Overloaded Capacitor mod on it, but I can't do that until Science! rank 3. Is that a lot for a fast-firing pistol/rifle, or is it going to be outclassed by random drops once I'm level 40+?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

poptart_fairy posted:

Jesus christ, when Dogmeat goes for the throat in a kill animation. :stonk:

Also, does quick travel in power armour drain your fusion cores? Hell, can you even quick travel in it? My original core died out and I've not had luck finding anything else, so the armour's basically a giant pink paper weight at the moment.
There's a full suit of power armor (minus one leg) in excellent condition just to the NW of that ASAF radar station the folks at the farm near cambridge want you to retrieve a locket from (it's in a toolbox near a door, by the minigun raider with the unique name). It's in way nicer shape than the stuff from the Museum of Freedom's roof, and you can find it before you reach Cambridge.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
God drat the building controls are loving cool. I threw up a 3 story citadel in like a minute. I only had one issue on the second floor I wanted all of the boards running one way and the game really, really wanted to snap the piece in running the other way for some reason I couldn't figure out.

Now I just need like 100 ceramics and oils to get all my spotlights set up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

King Vidiot posted:

If this is a thing that really happens, I wonder if just taking the Fusion Core out and carrying it with you could prevent that.

Taking out the fusion core absolutely prevents power armor from being stolen.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Also is there a fast way to scrap stuff? Or do I literally just drop all junk in my inventory then hold v and go to town?

I'd also like to know this.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

There's no karma system or anything any more, so basically as long as nobody sees you do it you can go hog wild Judge Dredd style.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Michymech posted:

just ignore Geforce experience, that thing is a pile of poo poo and i hate it with a passion, firs you need to go into your Nvidida control panel, navigate to the manage 3D settings tab and look under Gobal settings for DSR- Factors
click a bunch like 2.0x 3.0x and 4.0x , then hit apply, your screen will flicker for a little then come good, then you can go back to your fallout setting and you should have the larger resolution's to select, btw whats the hardware your running on?

960, core i3

btw, i solved the problem by capping my framerate at 75. it took a while to figure out how to do that, all the third-party programs that limit fps are very user-unfriendly, but there you go

gently caress beth, still

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

stringball posted:

Dumb framerate woes post: I've played 2 and a half hours or so and my fps is pretty drat bad, regardless of all the fixes and settings ice tried

I messed with the .ini files and turned the apparent 30 fps cap value and a couple others with zero help at all.

I've even put all of the setting the lowest they could possibly go and it still lags a ton

i5, 16gb ram, 6900 ati (yeah I know this is old, but shouldn't effect it too much?)

I googled this a ton and went through the steam guide as well as guides on other sites

Are you modifying the right .ini files?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Doctor Butts posted:

You can, but you lose out on something pretty neat later on.

Anyone know if there is a max cap of settlers per settlement? I've got a couple at 11, but nothing above that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Okay, took a break from building Minutemen Mother Base to do some of the main quest.

Goddamn, Vault 114 sounds hilarious. And I really like Nick, perfect voice, perfect look, perfect attitude.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Doc Morbid posted:

Go to the National Guard base. You won't be disappointed.

Also bring lots of bullets and health packs, that place is half crazy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Apparently you can recharge fusion cores?

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3sj91h/til_that_you_can_recharge_fusion_cores/

You just put it into one of the generators where you find fusion cores and press a button.

EDIT: This is very likely a troll, but who knows? I haven't tested it yet.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 12, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TorakFade posted:

Yeah would like to know this too. I only found melons and tatos around, so that's all my settlers can eat right now. Is there a source of corn and mutfruit near Sanctuary?

Also how do I get radioactive material? I want to build some sights for my guns but I only have 1 radioactive material from scrapping a pre-war board game :v:
Alarm clocks.

I got a mutfruit from a random container and planted it but still dunno where to find any for real... I found a farm full of corn near Cambridge in my first couple hours, sorry I can't recall where exactly.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

stringball posted:

I'm surprised. I have an i3 (below min req) but an r9 270x with 12gb ram and it auto set to ultra quality and I get 40-50 fps. only thing I can think of is to upgrade the video card.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Trashcan Carla has all your "where the gently caress is the copper?????" needs.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3sj91h/til_that_you_can_recharge_fusion_cores/

You just put it into one of the generators where you find fusion cores and press a button.

God drat it, So I didn't need to buy all the cores in the world?

coyo7e posted:

Alarm clocks.

I got a mutfruit from a random container and planted it but still dunno where to find any for real... I found a farm full of corn near Cambridge in my first couple hours, sorry I can't recall where exactly.

Go to the Grayfarm, theres more Mutfruit than you will know what to do with. Also just save settlements, half of them are farms of Mutfruit. Mutfruit is literally the last plant I ever need.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Welp time to never stop using power armor. I need more guns to use with it though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Harrow posted:

Welp time to make serious bank with the fusion cores I've been hording in paranoia.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Harrow posted:

I'm stnading in front of a fusion generator in the museum right now with 3 cores (100, 12, and 50 energy, respectively) and cannot figure out how to insert them.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I've run into my first game-breaking bug during the main quest: I've gone up to the BoS flagship and gotten a new suit of power armor, and I've been told by Elder Maxson to get on the Vertibird to go gently caress up some super mutants, and there's no way to actually get on the Vertibird. I've checked on videos of the quest, and there's supposed to be a prompt to enter the Vertibird that just isn't appearing for me. I've noclipped around the whole Vertibird and can't get the prompt to pop up, and Googling just shows a bunch of nonsolutions. Is there any way to get around this with the console, maybe? Any fix?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I hope you can build the chargers in your settlement. Then I would only use power armor to punch everyone

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Phenotype posted:

I've run into my first game-breaking bug during the main quest: I've gone up to the BoS flagship and gotten a new suit of power armor, and I've been told by Elder Maxson to get on the Vertibird to go gently caress up some super mutants, and there's no way to actually get on the Vertibird. I've checked on videos of the quest, and there's supposed to be a prompt to enter the Vertibird that just isn't appearing for me. I've noclipped around the whole Vertibird and can't get the prompt to pop up, and Googling just shows a bunch of nonsolutions. Is there any way to get around this with the console, maybe? Any fix?

Just head to the fort and the quest should update. I had the same issue.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty mad at the legendaries. I'm fighting some dudes at a Satellite Array and I've literally thrown all my ammo at them. I finally get them low, then they "mutate" and gain full hp!

How do you get around this?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In further "people on Reddit put way too much work into this poo poo" news, here are some figures on how Idiot Savant stacks up: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3siw35/i_tested_intelligence_idiot_savant_and_experience/

In short: want the most possible XP? Go 1 INT, take Idiot Savant. But even if you're at 10 INT, taking Idiot Savant will still offer you a meaningful increase in XP earned.

coyo7e posted:

I'm stnading in front of a fusion generator in the museum right now with 3 cores (100, 12, and 50 energy, respectively) and cannot figure out how to insert them.

To be fair, I haven't tested it because I'm at work. It's possible that guy's just trolling everyone.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I hope you can build the chargers in your settlement. Then I would only use power armor to punch everyone

Theres one below the Castle

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Piell posted:

Graygarden (number 13 on the map) has a bunch of both Mutfruit and Corn growing, so it's an easy way to get all the ingredients you need for vegetable starch.
tyvm :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm really annoyed at how hard it is to make a town the way I want it:

1. That junkie old chick who I built a chair for now refuses to get out of it, making it impossible for me to move her chair into the deluxe ultra fortress I just made.

2. Said deluxe ultra fortress, while indeed badass complete with a junk wall and plenty of water, is bereft of the actual workshop table because apparently I can't move it from the crappy house it currently occupies.

3. Not that it matters because if I ever get attacked the "defenders" I've assigned to the super sweet guard posts on top of the deluxe ultra fortress are too busy getting stuck on the roof.

4. In spite of there being a clearly protected wall and a loving place for her Brahmin to eat, the drat trader refuses to stop there and keeps on walking through my fortress gates so she can hang out in front of the now empty house with the workshop in it.

Also the junkie old chick never told me my dog's name.

• Locked thread