Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Did anyone back this Dark Age Outpost: 28mm Terrain & Miniature Set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adventureterrain/wargame-roleplaying-and-model-railroad-terrain/description

So back in 2013, a one man show put together a terrain kickstarter where he was hand building all the terrain, demand went nuts and for the last few years he's tried to fufill it.

Today he announced he can't finish it but in a rare display of rectitude he has stated he is refunding all outstanding backers the cost of their pledge +5% on paypal.

I await that paypal email with interest.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I did, seemed a decent deal once I traded all the minis for more fort bits :)

Germ
May 7, 2013

HidaO-Win posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adventureterrain/wargame-roleplaying-and-model-railroad-terrain/description

So back in 2013, a one man show put together a terrain kickstarter where he was hand building all the terrain, demand went nuts and for the last few years he's tried to fufill it.

Today he announced he can't finish it but in a rare display of rectitude he has stated he is refunding all outstanding backers the cost of their pledge +5% on paypal.

I await that paypal email with interest.

As a one-man-show who has successfully fulfilled a couple of terrain Kickstarters, I checked out his Kickstarter before launching my own. His big issue is that he seemed to price stuff inappropriately for the time and materials it would take for him to produce the stuff. That attracts a lot of backers, but when you price stuff too cheap like he did, "success" in regards to more backers tends to really compound the losses. I'm sorry it didn't work for him, but it's cool that he's owning up to things. Here's hoping he follows through with it!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

I did, seemed a decent deal once I traded all the minis for more fort bits :)

Is your pledge all sewn up yet or can you still add to it?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Indolent Bastard posted:

You're out of luck, they're not allowing people to add additional money post-KS. I did link it here and the Frostgrave thread when it was still running :ohdear:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

As NT says, they're not using a pledge manager system which allows extras. They just used the survey to check what people wanted to swap out. Sorry dude :(

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Thanks anyway. I'm sure I don't really need to add to my painting backlog. And I should be able to make most of the stuff I was looking at with a laser cutter anyway.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Woke up this morning to read an insane screed of an update from Goodman Games basically calling 4th Edition D&D the devil, a massive failure, and revealing that he's secretly put art in the DCC books of cultists burning D&D 4th edition sourcebooks.

What a loving weirdo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Woke up this morning to read an insane screed of an update from Goodman Games basically calling 4th Edition D&D the devil, a massive failure, and revealing that he's secretly put art in the DCC books of cultists burning D&D 4th edition sourcebooks.

What a loving weirdo.

:catstare: It took ages for the Old D&D thread to get over the Gygax-fellating intro to DCC, and now this.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

What a loving weirdo.
Link?

For real though I don't honestly give a gently caress what games he likes. The DCC game design isn't particularly groggy (old school yeah, but not regressive), and it's not like the dude is a neonazi or gamergater.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

dwarf74 posted:

Link?

For real though I don't honestly give a gently caress what games he likes. The DCC game design isn't particularly groggy (old school yeah, but not regressive), and it's not like the dude is a neonazi or gamergater.

Here you go: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/dcc-rpg-4th-printing/posts/1412693

It's pretty weird how much effort he put into trying to get a warlock burning up 4th edition books on the 1st piece of art people will see after the cover in his game - that's making a pretty big statement, or at least trying to.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

dwarf74 posted:

Link?

Yeah but I have a problem when the owner of a company compares liking Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition to being a stupid teenager who enjoys bad music.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 12, 2015

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Flavivirus posted:

Here you go: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/dcc-rpg-4th-printing/posts/1412693

It's pretty weird how much effort he put into trying to get a warlock burning up 4th edition books on the 1st piece of art people will see after the cover in his game - that's making a pretty big statement, or at least trying to.

Yep it's a weird one, but I'm not going to let "dude who makes thing I like, hates other thing I like" ruin my day.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

dwarf74 posted:

Link?

The whole iconography of book burning is pretty problematic in the first place, and you have this guy paying money to put that iconography in an illustration in his own book. That's beyond just not liking a game, I think. It's a good thing the final illustration doesn't involve any of that.

I was going back and forth on backing DCC, but there's no chance in hell my money can go toward financing this work. I guess now I can divert what would go into DCC to Shinobigami.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think several attempts at "but howhowhow can I work in that they are burning 4th edition books, there's gotta be a way" goes well beyond wink-wink-elbow-in-the-ribs joking. Maybe he sucks at making jokes? It's a turn off for me. Definitely not going to bring me down, but might mean I won't back it after all.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Since I went in accounting, I learned a bit about business on the side. An important lesson to learn is, if you have a divisive opinion, best to keep it to yourself. You don't know your customers as well as you likely think and, by the nature of divisive opinions, you're likely going to alienate some of your customer base. Now, if you feel you have some ability and/or responsibility to make social change on something you think important, that's different and your own judgement, but, if you really hate transformers and want to rant about it, best not to let your company be associated with that.

Trashing on 4th edition makes some sense as a marketing move as it has become a symbol in some circles of the OSR movement of "things becoming too much of what I don't like", but not all your customers are that type of OSR person or even an OSR person.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

Since I went in accounting, I learned a bit about business on the side. An important lesson to learn is, if you have a divisive opinion, best to keep it to yourself. You don't know your customers as well as you likely think and, by the nature of divisive opinions, you're likely going to alienate some of your customer base. Now, if you feel you have some ability and/or responsibility to make social change on something you think important, that's different and your own judgement, but, if you really hate transformers and want to rant about it, best not to let your company be associated with that.

Trashing on 4th edition makes some sense as a marketing move as it has become a symbol in some circles of the OSR movement of "things becoming too much of what I don't like", but not all your customers are that type of OSR person or even an OSR person.
Yeah, and the post's comments reflect that.

Yeah but I have a problem when the owner of a company compares liking Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition to being a stupid teenager who enjoys bad music.
I've said worse about 3e and Pathfinder I'm sure. :cheeky:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I can get dumb screeds about why this or that elfgame are bad and terrible and a blight on the land on the internet for free, I neither need or want them coming from something I'm expected to pay for. Every time someone tries to convince me that the OSR really isn't just a bunch of assholes planting a flag on the hill of telling people the games they like are for idiot babies and I decide that maybe I should temper my judgement and give some more old-school games a chance, something like this comes along and makes me think that no, maybe I had it right the first time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Eh, I'm currently backing but feel like if he can't recognize good game design maybe I shouldn't be.

I mean I get that it's a thing to jerk off the grognards, but this is kind of disconcerting on a qualitative level.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's not so much that it's specifically 4e that he's ragging on so much as he's letting something like that leak into the game's art direction and his Kickstarter updates.

Like, come on dude, save it for your blog.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not so much that it's specifically 4e that he's ragging on so much as he's letting something like that leak into the game's art direction and his Kickstarter updates.

Like, come on dude, save it for your blog.

This is it right here. I have no illusions that most serious OSR people have Strong Opinions about certain games, but there's a difference between espousing those opinions on blogs and forums and espousing them in a mass email to all your Kickstarter pledgers telling them "Man, haha, 4th Edition sucks don't it? That's why I secretly put cultists burning it in my frontispiece! Haha, check out our new stretch goals." I've said plenty of things about certain games here and elsewhere but you'd better believe that if I found myself wanting to sell my game to people who maybe (gasp, shock) liked things that I didn't that I'd be keeping my stupid idiot opinions to myself. Like c'mon, how many stories about the guy at the gamestore loudly telling someone "Don't buy that game, it sucks!" have you heard? When someone does that do you think "ah well, he's entitled to have his opinion I guess"? No, you think "shut the gently caress up, Jesus, no one asked you." Same thing here.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I was a bit surprised by his rant but I am not nearly dedicated to 4E enough to let someone's harmless opinion about a game affect my enjoyment of a fun game they produced.

I'm sure Joe's opinion was probably affected more by publishing 3rd party content for 4E that likely sold very poorly given the glut of first party 4E products.

Either way, it's a weird choice to put that rant into a very successful kickstarter with so many future stretch goals.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/megacongames/the-banner-saga-warbands

Banner Saga Warbands kickstarter, didn't see it posted. Company has experience producing models, the rules are tested and published, ~no dice~, but a lot of people didn't like the combat of the video game.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Dreylad posted:

Banner Saga Warbands kickstarter, didn't see it posted. Company has experience producing models, the rules are tested and published, ~no dice~, but a lot of people didn't like the combat of the video game.

That seems really pricey for what you get.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

alg posted:

I'm sure Joe's opinion was probably affected more by publishing 3rd party content for 4E that likely sold very poorly given the glut of first party 4E products.

I know more than a few guys who hate 4E because they got tired of getting their rear end chewed on forums for "playing such lovely trash games when fourth edition exists".
Check out the Order of the Stick thread, sometimes nerds ( on both sides) just don't know when to let things go, and accept the fact that sometimes people like things that you don't.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dreylad posted:

The fact that this is a diceless co-op miniatures game really has me intrigued. It is pricey, but not extravagantly so given you get 30 minis. I really liked the way the skirmish combat demo video went. $80 seems okay. I'd rather have seen maybe $70. I'm gonna watch and see if unlocks produce a little more value in the base game.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I know more than a few guys who hate 4E because they got tired of getting their rear end chewed on forums for "playing such lovely trash games when fourth edition exists".
Check out the Order of the Stick thread, sometimes nerds ( on both sides) just don't know when to let things go, and accept the fact that sometimes people like things that you don't.

Yeah, but people are missing the point – it isn't about he does or doesn't hate, it's that he's trying way too hard to put that hatred out there in the world. For instance, if his whole screed was about commissioning a picture with cultists burning copies of FATAL, an awful game that everyone hates, that would still be weird and disturbing and not a good move in any way. He's just using the platform of selling his own RPG product to make sure everyone knows he really, really despises this other RPG product. That's frankly baffling on all levels.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In not-dumbass-industry-people news, Meguey Baker is currently kickstarting a collection of eight small game, themed around the seasons.

quote:

Playing Nature's Year is a series of eight short seasonal games you can play with anybody. There are wishes, fortune-telling, collaborative stories, and lots of six-sided dice involved. In The Holly and the Ivy, you vie to be the one to catch the White Stag of Dawn - if you win the game, you get your heart's wish. Next is In the Company of Birds, in which you and another player try to attract the most birds to nest in your tree, and how many you attract tells your fortune together. After that comes Bless the Seeds, A Branch of May, Ramble in the New-mown Hay, Hounds of the Harvest, The Bending of the Bow, and At the Stroke of Midnight. Play one or many, with anyone. Play each in it's season, or several together. Play Nature's Year.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mojo Jojo posted:

That seems really pricey for what you get.

Yeah, it looks like one of those deal where the stated goal is well below what the actual goal is. check back in a week or two to see what the game is actually gonna look like, imo

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

quote:

In The Holly and the Ivy, you vie to be the one to catch the White Stag of Dawn - if you win the game, you get your heart's wish

What the gently caress does that mean?

quote:

Next isIn the Company of Birds, in which you and another player try to attract the most birds to nest in your tree, and how many you attract tells your fortune together.

Is she being literal? Like, you play it in spring and try to actually attract actual birds to an actual tree?

What the gently caress is the actual thing she's trying to make? One of the reward tiers mentions essays and commentaries. Do those have anything to do with the game? Or are you just paying for essays about the seasons? Is there a minimum or maximum number of players? Will the book have art in it? I've never seen a Kickstarter with so little information on the project in it. And the information provided just raises more questions!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
"What the gently caress is Dungeons and Dragons about," asks boom boom boom, incredulously. "There's nowhere that says you don't physically go into dungeons. Are you supposed to fight dragons in real life? This makes no sense! Dragons don't exist!!!"

"God," he hangs his head, incredulous. "I don't understand any of this. It isn't about robots."

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Huh. So in the artwork for DCC, H4ters are the villains the heroic PCs kill? Right.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

"What the gently caress is Dungeons and Dragons about," asks boom boom boom, incredulously. "There's nowhere that says you don't physically go into dungeons. Are you supposed to fight dragons in real life? This makes no sense! Dragons don't exist!!!"

From the description on that kickstarter, tell me literally anything about how you play In the Company of Birds. The only picture on that page is an actual child making an IRL weird little cairn shrine thing.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Cyphoderus posted:

That's frankly baffling on all levels.

Not to me. Sometimes nerds have extremely poor social skills, and sometimes they get really tribal about trivial poo poo, to their own detriment. This one just happens to have his own little internet podium to yell from.

Serf
May 5, 2011

neonchameleon posted:

Huh. So in the artwork for DCC, H4ters are the villains the heroic PCs kill? Right.

In the text it does say something to the effect of "why are the heroes not attacking the cultists? Maybe they approve of this sacrifice? Maybe when it's over they will join the cultists?" So... no.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Oh well that makes it all better then, my bad.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

From the description on that kickstarter, tell me literally anything about how you play In the Company of Birds. The only picture on that page is an actual child making an IRL weird little cairn shrine thing.

It's a well known designer of microgames/story games pitching a collection of eight microgames/story games based around the four seasons. They will be rules-light and probably involve some degree of physically roleplaying stuff, as well as poetry and other "artsy" things. The essays are just going to be autobiographical/idle musings related to the general theme (the commentaries are discussions of the mechanics and themes of individual games, though). Basically, it's a Kickstarter aimed at people who would like her games, who already know who she is because her games cater to a pretty specific niche.

The descriptions you quoted are descriptions of theme, much like "in Dungeons and Dragons, you are adventurers into dungeons to find loot" doesn't actually tell you anything about the mechanics of the game. You're right that the KS isn't designed to attract a broad audience, but that's as intended, she's just doing this as an extension of her patreon stuff (which likewise is microgames, essays and commentaries).

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It also says that lots of D6s will be involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel that that is not a smart business strategy. Her diehard fans are going to buy her stuff anyway, right? Why not try to reach a wider audience, who might later become her fans and get her even more money via Patreon?

• Locked thread