Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Baronjutter posted:

So ever since the very first quest that gives you power armour with low batteries I've never worn it, I've also found the game incredibly hard. One of the first quests they send you to a factory to kill some mercentaries and there's like 50 of them and I'm in there with absolute scrub weapons and almost no ammo.

I know that quest and you really bump kinda early into it if you follow what's said to you. I prepared a bit for it by fixing up the power armor, you can easily find a power cell or two too before, just scavenge around a bit, maybe also do a few upgrades for the armor. There's nothing stopping you to just walk up to and visit some places and loot them. I went in with the power armor, guns blazing and it worked out pretty well. Even that old thing can take a lot of punishment, well at default difficulty at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

I wish there was some way barring an eventual mod I guess to disable some radio tracks, because boy howdy did I not like Civilization in FO3 and I continue to not like it in FO4.

Radio tracklist, I'll stay right here.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why can I not pet Dogmeat what the gently caress Bethesda

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I think I've decided to play this one radio off. The bgm is pretty decent, there's no more being unable to hear quiet npcs, and actually using real radios in the world adds some immersion and keeps me from getting burnt out on those songs.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

sout posted:

Radio tracklist, I'll stay right here.

Just play Orange Colored Sky a bit more often, I've only heard it like twice in 19 hours now :(

Serf
May 5, 2011

I only want 2 things in this game:

1) For objects to not obey collision detection when you're building. I don't care if this tire clips into the junk fence next to it, I hate these ugly gaps in my wall around Sanctuary. I also want to be able to lower stuff into the ground so that it doesn't look horrible when building a fence on a hill.

2) Remove the limit on the number of things you can build in each settlement

oh, wait, I also want to be able to repair/add onto existing structures.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Why can I not pet Dogmeat what the gently caress Bethesda

Because goons made fun of the animation in the trailer

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

workshop mode is more tolerable once you figure out that shift+wasd can be used to go through menus.

it's still clunky, but it's clunky in a way that's the same with the controller.

i've gotten used to the KB+M. i have a bug with this game and my controller where the cursor skips every other line in menus/pip-boy, so it's 100% kb+m for me. and yeah, I think I've used VATS for combat like twice so far, because getting accurate headshots is of course much easier.

eta: the biggest problem with KB+M is a couple of commands can't be rebound, namely "hold breath" on l.alt (what the fuuuuuuck) and enter in general to confirm, although my mouse is pretty close to my keyboard and I've gotten used to just hitting numpad enter with my right thumb.

OH god, holding shift while using wasd sounds like a pinky nightmare. Shooting/headshots are obviously easier with kb+m, but the game was very obviously designed for controllers and PC gamers without controllers are scrub garbage men. I use VATS all the time. Going with a high luck build, all its fun perks take place in VATS. Plus it's Fallout, feels more Fallouty to use VATS. Shooting outside ofi t almost feels like cheating. Especially when you go into VATS to snap to a taregt and then fire off a manual shot while its still half in slowmo.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

No it has loving nothing to do with Minecraft dude. Stop saying that. Its just the Hearthfire expansion from Skyrim combined with the weapon mods for New Vegas. Its that simple.

Its a very natural progression of Fallout and if you don't like it YOU CAN COMPLETELY IGNORE IT and just play the game like Fallout 3.

Seriously this is the stupidest thing to bitch about. "Optional mechanics?! I loving hate this poo poo!"

I'm not really going to be happy without a mod to let me murder all these unkillable lawful good NPCs.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

vats is worthless and i can consistently miss every shot with a 95% chance to hit. the only shots that ever hit are criticals

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

Remora posted:

How did you do the crazy long stairs at the boat house?

Well, first I spent a solid 20 minutes building an elaborate staircase that spiraled up through the hole in the roof of the house, but this proved to be much too complicated for Fallout 4's pathfinding AI. I tested it with the one settler that I had by removing his sleeping bag and putting a bed in a room at the top. When they can't path to the existing beds they will just spawn sleeping bags wherever :3: I'm not sure if you can exploit this for auto-settler beds, someone should try.

Anyways, after I built all that up, I already had my fort on top of the house, so I built the stairs back down. It's just 2 of the normal long stairs + one of the two step thingies. I put two side by side because one is never enough.

If you're willing to have a little patience with the settlement maker, you can get away with some awesome/absurd/unfair/broken stuff.

I'm not done with it yet, but I found a way to build ez sky towns.

Yardbomb posted:

Also if any of you goons haven't figured it out/seen somewhere yet, if you wanna get better pretty princess shots, throw TFC 1 into console and it'll pause the world and give you free camera movement, then throw in tm and it'll hide the UI. Obviously then just re-enter those same after you're done.

Purposely not doing this in my screenshots to drive you nuts :downs:

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

ShadowMar posted:

vats is worthless and i can consistently miss every shot with a 95% chance to hit. the only shots that ever hit are criticals

OTOH every time you shoot at that land mind from 1000 yds away with a 4% chance it's totally going to blow up

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
tood howard is like gaben: every time you make fun of him he delays half life 3 removes features from bethesda's upcoming games

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I like VATS because it's more cinematic and makes me feel like a bad rear end when I pull off sick head shots. :colbert:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

conversation piece posted:

Purposely not doing this in my screenshots to drive you nuts :downs:

Doesn't bother me any, just thought I'd share the glamour shot tips :v:

Drythe posted:

Power Armor is :krad:

Very much so

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Power Armor is :krad:

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I love it when you get 'roided up for a particularly difficult fight and the voiced protagonist screams FUUUUUCKING KILLLLL!! at the top of his lungs.
Voiced isn't all bad, folks.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

gary of rivia

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

As someone who's basically never taken a non-vats shot in a fallout game I'm finding the combat really hard. Even with my terrible FPS skills and lovely weapons I'm hitting a lot more consistently just using iron sights than VATS, the accuracy in VATS seems way lower than it should be given the situations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The building stuff is a little janky and I don't quite get how to make things not look like poo poo. Its fun though.

I made the mistake of putting absolutely NO points in charisma so I will never be able to build new crafting tables in my town. Its pretty lovely to put that so far down the charisma tree in my opinion. I guess unless I can find a ton of SPECIAL books.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I'm Level 12'ish and I haven't even bothered to use VATS yet.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I'm considering a re-spec before I get too far. I set up my SPECIAL like a typical Fallout game and it just does not work for me.

Dialogue options are mostly poor. After multiple games of selecting exact dialogue from a list, this "select one of four general feels" thing is disappointing. Role playing seems to be mostly out the window.

All the dialogue checks being tied to charisma is really lazy and also difficult to make heads or tails of. I have failed yellow dialogue checks at 9 charisma. Do they depend on other stats as well? The game does not tell or even hint so it's impossible to know, and you don't get a second chance on them.

Seems like it would be wiser to just make a more efficient and utilitarian character, or do a total rear end in a top hat monster character that I always meant to do in New Vegas and hulk my way through the game.

This is bumming me out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I was in perma-VATS in Fallout 3/New Vegas and it's nice to play a Fallout game where I don't feel like it's the only fun way to play.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm really rustled that they didn't go wild with the rechambering. I'd like to be able to rechamber the 10mm into a high capacity .38 super auto pistol or a deagle-like .50

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Nothing like buying a $60 game, getting all excited to load it up, playing through the well-choreographed intro, and then getting stuck at the first terminal I access. Bethesda gets me every time. :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

People get really weird about Obsidian. I absolutely loved New Vegas, it's one of my favorite games, but I never particularly liked Alpha Protocol when I tried it. They just seem pretty hit-or-miss and yet everybody claims they're like Gods of Game Design when I don't really see that. There were even people who said they absolutely loathed South Park but were going to buy Stick of Truth just because Obsidian were developing it.

Eh, when I praise Obsidian, it's mostly for New Vegas. I never really got into Alpha Protocol either, and I just can't really dig Pillars of Eternity (though that's down to my weird incompatibility with real-time-with-pause combat). Also, whoever bought Stick of Truth despite hating South Park was a moron. That was a South Park game through-and-through. It was as much an Obsidian game as that one Sonic RPG on the DS was a Bioware game: developed by them and that's about it.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Baronjutter posted:

As someone who's basically never taken a non-vats shot in a fallout game I'm finding the combat really hard. Even with my terrible FPS skills and lovely weapons I'm hitting a lot more consistently just using iron sights than VATS, the accuracy in VATS seems way lower than it should be given the situations.

Vats is based on perception, even with +3 from clothes (hat, glasses, minute man uniform), 8 perception isn't very accurate unless they're extremely close, which works just fine with my shotgun.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Satorr posted:

I'm considering a re-spec before I get too far. I set up my SPECIAL like a typical Fallout game and it just does not work for me.

Dialogue options are mostly poor. After multiple games of selecting exact dialogue from a list, this "select one of four general feels" thing is disappointing. Role playing seems to be mostly out the window.

All the dialogue checks being tied to charisma is really lazy and also difficult to make heads or tails of. I have failed yellow dialogue checks at 9 charisma. Do they depend on other stats as well? The game does not tell or even hint so it's impossible to know, and you don't get a second chance on them.

Seems like it would be wiser to just make a more efficient and utilitarian character, or do a total rear end in a top hat monster character that I always meant to do in New Vegas and hulk my way through the game.

This is bumming me out.

It's chance-based, and you can quick-save in conversations now: save-scum your way to victory, friend

or just respec to a full-on combat build like i did. dialogue sucks, charisma options are "gimme more caps" or "tell me easily obtainable info". hulk it up.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Ninth Layer posted:

Nothing like buying a $60 game, getting all excited to load it up, playing through the well-choreographed intro, and then getting stuck at the first terminal I access. Bethesda gets me every time. :(

Make sure your framerate is capped at 60 - I think this bug is tied to high framerates.

Can you craft screws anywhere? It seems like you need them for every weapon mod and there just aren't enough to go round.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Serf posted:

I only want 2 things in this game:

1) For objects to not obey collision detection when you're building. I don't care if this tire clips into the junk fence next to it, I hate these ugly gaps in my wall around Sanctuary. I also want to be able to lower stuff into the ground so that it doesn't look horrible when building a fence on a hill.

2) Remove the limit on the number of things you can build in each settlement

oh, wait, I also want to be able to repair/add onto existing structures.

Yeah the building collision is super hosed and I imagine one of the top priorities for Bethesda to get off their asses and fix right now. Hopefully. If not some modder will soon enough.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm not really going to be happy without a mod to let me murder all these unkillable lawful good NPCs.

Agreed.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Harrow posted:

Eh, when I praise Obsidian, it's mostly for New Vegas. I never really got into Alpha Protocol either, and I just can't really dig Pillars of Eternity (though that's down to my weird incompatibility with real-time-with-pause combat). Also, whoever bought Stick of Truth despite hating South Park was a moron. That was a South Park game through-and-through. It was as much an Obsidian game as that one Sonic RPG on the DS was a Bioware game: developed by them and that's about it.

harrow have you played kotor2 with the restored content mod? i've been playing it the last few weeks, and it's pretty great. it might scratch that itch for ya

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3siw35/i_tested_intelligence_idiot_savant_and_experience/

:spergin:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ShadowMar posted:

Baronjutter posted:

What is your perception? It literally effects your chance to hit. If you're using VATS a lot you should crank Perception and Luck to like 6+ each.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm doing a high luck dumb as bricks run and when Idiot Savant procs on the handing in of a quest it's the best thing ever. Yes I'll take a level please? What? Two levels? Oh sure, why not!

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

Zaphod42 posted:

Hm, I killed somebody in power armor and it wouldn't let me. They fell on their back though... is that really the problem? I can't get behind them since they're on the floor?

If it's power armor that you can wear, then the body will behave like a container and the fusion core will be one of the items, along with the armor chunks. If that's not the case, then it's not a suit you can wear. I've never encountered this, but it could be a thing.

Also, you can pick up bodies. Just hold down the E button on them. Flip him around like a ragdoll until you can see their back, but I doubt that's the reason.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Bardeh posted:

Make sure your framerate is capped at 60 - I think this bug is tied to high framerates.

Can you craft screws anywhere? It seems like you need them for every weapon mod and there just aren't enough to go round.

Will do, thanks. That's an amazingly dumb bug to have for a series that got its start on PC but oh well, I guess I can give my 144Hz monitor a break.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

doctor iono posted:

harrow have you played kotor2 with the restored content mod? i've been playing it the last few weeks, and it's pretty great. it might scratch that itch for ya

Haven't played it in a long, long time, but you're right, I should give it another go with that mod.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I was having a lot of trouble killing the head mobster guy in vault 114. I was sure I was going to die, and then right as hope ran out the loving mysterious stranger showed up and one shotted him.

I've had the mysterious stranger since level 2 and that was literally the first time he'd shown up for me.

God bless that magnificent fucker.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been using just Dogmeat so far but considering some of the lines I've heard companions can have I'm probably going to change that policy real quick. I wish I could get a settler to just drag my power armor along in a wheelbarrow or something though.

quote:

God bless that magnificent fucker.

Does he still have the musical sting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Frankenoodle posted:

If it's power armor that you can wear, then the body will behave like a container and the fusion core will be one of the items, along with the armor chunks. If that's not the case, then it's not a suit you can wear. I've never encountered this, but it could be a thing.

Also, you can pick up bodies. Just hold down the E button on them. Flip him around like a ragdoll until you can see their back, but I doubt that's the reason.

Uh, maybe you misunderstood me. I already looted all the pieces of the power armor. It DID work like a container. It DID NOT let me get inside it. That's what I'm asking about.

Holding down E said "this is too heavy to pick up"

• Locked thread