Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

evol262 posted:

It's odd, because there was a turnover period, and this shouldn't have happened at an official training. Even if unofficial, you could still take the RHCE6 and just roll with it. Much more than just changing the root password changed

This was an official RHEL training. We scheduled it about six months before the class, which was in Dec 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
While talking to coworkers in another IT group this morning, I saw of them filling in a bunch of information on a HR website. The site is hosted by an outside company and is theoretically used to fix communication problems between employees, management and HR. In practice, it deployed broken initially, and as far as we knew, the site was more or less written off, since our manager hasn't said anything about it. Anyway, coworker is filling out a thing stating what training he had, if it matched the agreed on goals from earlier in the year, and so on.

I log into the site and go my profile, there is nothing in there, and none of the buttons to add anything or edit are enabled, since all of that has to be setup by my boss. He has done nothing on there. That coworker's manager walks by and says that all the managers had been told to use the site and get things configured in there. I'd be curious if this would bite us in the rear end, but I figure no matter what happens, we are all getting "Meets Expectations" no matter what. But it would be nice to see him take a minor bit of interest in being a manager.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

This was an official RHEL training. We scheduled it about six months before the class, which was in Dec 2014.

RHEL7 moved from sysvinit to systemd, right? Whatever your personal feelings about systemd, that would be a helluva reprogramming of over a decade of muscle memory performing even the most basic tasks to spring on someone. I'd definitely want a refund unless I already knew and could work with RHEL7.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Wait, you can't boot into runlevel 1 to reset the root password any more? My Linux knowledge is rusting away. :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob's Desk Position Postulate: If someone is given a desk that they can move, they will wish to move it to the dumbest position possible as far away as possible from the power outlet/network jack

We just re-modeled our loving retail showroom and office and instead of following the layout that the office furniture people created, this woman wants her desk in the middle of the room and has threatened us with 'moving her desk herself and buying her own cords'.

Lady, we ran you power and phone and ethernet to where your desk was going to be for a reason. We remodeled the place so it doesn't look like poo poo with wires on the floor and desks all over.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Come on, guys, they're just regular people trying to put food on the table. They probably hate their jobs just as much you hate them but if it's that or unemployment, can you blame them?

:smith:

If you turn down jobs you're capable of doing, you lose your unemployment benefits.
I took a sales job once., because it was that or go homeless, and it was the worst period of my life. Long hours, sub-minimum wage pay* and everyone treated you as fair game for abuse. Whenever I feel down working in support, I think back to those days and things don't seem so bad. I'm polite to sales people.

*Someone complained to the authorities and we all got letters asking if we wanted to come forward but of course no one did

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Skandranon posted:

Doesn't mean you should have to waste your time to entertain them.

No, but you don't have to be rude to them, either. Just say that you're not interested and hang up.

Volmarias posted:

The same argument could be applied for the people who call me to let me know that the IRS is suing me, and that if I give them my credit card number I can just pay the balance now to make it go away.

Well, if they're actively trying to scam you, then that's not really the same argument because it's not really a real "job", per se. A real job doesn't really involve clear fraud as its main purpose. But either way, I agree that these people aren't really morally in the same category as people trying to sell you software or whatever you don't need.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

You should complain. We contract with the instructors, and that one shouldn't be teaching anymore. The course identifiers are different for a reason that instructor seemingly missed.

Storysmith posted:

RHEL7 moved from sysvinit to systemd, right? Whatever your personal feelings about systemd, that would be a helluva reprogramming of over a decade of muscle memory performing even the most basic tasks to spring on someone. I'd definitely want a refund unless I already knew and could work with RHEL7.

RHEL7 moved from upstart to systemd. RHEL6 moved from sysv to upstart (though in practice, most services stayed as sysv scripts in 6, and libvirt was the big one that moved).

For the most part, the same utilities RHEL admins always used (service foo start/stop, etc) still work, even if systemctl is recommended. systemd changed very little from the perspective of the certs, other than the root password bit.

A bigger complaint is that the certs for 7 use firewalld, which, while it uses iptables in the background, is totally different on the front end. And the certs for 6 used some GUI stuff. 7 uses all console.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

evol262 posted:

You should complain. We contract with the instructors, and that one shouldn't be teaching anymore. The course identifiers are different for a reason that instructor seemingly missed.

RHEL7 moved from upstart to systemd. RHEL6 moved from sysv to upstart (though in practice, most services stayed as sysv scripts in 6, and libvirt was the big one that moved).

For the most part, the same utilities RHEL admins always used (service foo start/stop, etc) still work, even if systemctl is recommended. systemd changed very little from the perspective of the certs, other than the root password bit.

A bigger complaint is that the certs for 7 use firewalld, which, while it uses iptables in the background, is totally different on the front end. And the certs for 6 used some GUI stuff. 7 uses all console.

Eh, I passed the test, so whatever.

Pretty much all the systemd commands still work if you enter the older upstart commands, for now, so it wasn't hard. I was aware of the root change, so it wasn't a problem. Other than that, the test isn't much different if it's on a 6 or a 7 server.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm the only person on the phones today. Every single computer in the center will need a reboot due to dhcp change. I'm going to drown.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Lady, we ran you power and phone and ethernet to where your desk was going to be for a reason. We remodeled the place so it doesn't look like poo poo with wires on the floor and desks all over.
If she does move it, move it back and bolt it to the floor.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tigntink posted:

I'm the only person on the phones today. Every single computer in the center will need a reboot due to dhcp change. I'm going to drown.

Flip the breaker

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Tigntink posted:

Restart-Computer (Get-Content -path "LISTOFCOMPUTERS.txt") -force

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Crawl under each desk, without explanation, and unplug the power strip. Plug it back in, and walk away. Never say a word.

Or maybe just power-cycle the switches? Dunno if that will force Windows to reacquire the necessary settings.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Or maybe just power-cycle the switches? Dunno if that will force Windows to reacquire the necessary settings.

It probably would, that's a good idea.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

This is correct. There's a few more steps, and "single" doesn't work in RHEL7. The pisser was the class, when paid for and scheduled was for RHEL6, but in the month between scheduling and the actual date, it changed to RHEL7. A lot of people were unhappy, since there was no warning at all.

Actually, if you can su into root once you get your filesystem back to readwrite, that'll take care of the SE Linux context changes as well. I've learned this the hard way unfortunatley during my RHCSA class.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Power cycle the whole centre.

Slip the maintenance guy :10bux: to trip the main breaker and blame it on the power company.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
:kingsley: We need these tickets complete!

:v: These tickets are incredibly vague, can I get some clarification on these from the guy who requested the change?

:kingsley: He's gone until Monday, so no.

Looks like I'm browsing the forums until Monday then. :smug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Asked for pictures of a computer/printer at a remote location.

Someone brought loving photographs to a meeting. Wow.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.
Yes DBA, Windows Server 2012 running SQL Server 2014 needs more than 3 GB of RAM. Why yes, you also need to specify a maximum amount of memory the instance will allocate. I laid all that out for you a month ago when I built this in the email telling you 3GB is below the standard build.

Oh, so now your server isn't responding? Wonder why that could be... :allears:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Bob Morales posted:

We've got just the person for the job!

"Move, fatty! I can't see the scanner!"

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

The paperless office has arrived

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Tigntink posted:

Gonna guess they didn't adjust the lease times in preparation of this.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Gonna guess they didn't adjust the lease times in preparation of this.

Lease times? What are those? :v:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

My brain actually broke for a second there.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ratbert90 posted:

Lease times? What are those? :v:

They did but they did like 7 days instead of 2 hours.

Also we have people running massive data stuff because this is a cancer research center. So basically computer reboots off patch schedule are hugely taboo, there's divisional IT support who was supposed to notify their people that this was happening AND there's a massive kibosh on doing any center wide emails.

So far there have been 5 subdomains that weren't fixed. FQDN wasn't working on a file share. Yay for being the only competent phone person for 2500 users :D

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What actually changed? Switching DHCP server shouldn't be that disruptive.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Thanks Ants posted:

What actually changed? Switching DHCP server shouldn't be that disruptive.

It was more than that. We finally upgraded to be able to do DDNS. I think they had to physically change out appliances.

Yep that's it. We changed to infoblox for dhcp, dns, and ntp.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
poo poo pissing me off:

Taking a new job and, a week and a half in, finding out that my office could be moved up to a hundred miles away.

Yaaaaay.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Woogles posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

Taking a new job and, a week and a half in, finding out that my office could be moved up to a hundred miles away.

Yaaaaay.

Look for a new job and I would also bring up some WFH stuff since you accepted the position with the understanding that the office would be where it is currently, and not that it would be moving to a place hwere you would have to commute 2 hours each way. That's if your job is possible to do from home.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off: leaders who assume that every project team member resource is an easily replaced cog in a gearbox. No, a new manager is not going to be productive to "get you over a hump" for 3 weeks. This is a multi-year program. He'll need 3 weeks just to come up to speed. No, I cannot simply surge on <application> developers to reduce a 4-week timeline to 4/n. New people will take 2 weeks just to fully understand the configuration. Your company will take 2 weeks just to get them network access.

With lead time, yes, additional people can help tremendously. If you bring on a person with a kneejerk, though, all you get is kicked in the teeth.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Ynglaur posted:

Pissing me off: leaders who assume that every project team member resource is an easily replaced cog in a gearbox. No, a new manager is not going to be productive to "get you over a hump" for 3 weeks. This is a multi-year program. He'll need 3 weeks just to come up to speed. No, I cannot simply surge on <application> developers to reduce a 4-week timeline to 4/n. New people will take 2 weeks just to fully understand the configuration. Your company will take 2 weeks just to get them network access.

With lead time, yes, additional people can help tremendously. If you bring on a person with a kneejerk, though, all you get is kicked in the teeth.

Look at this malfunctioning resource that needs replacement!

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello

MF_James posted:

Look for a new job and I would also bring up some WFH stuff since you accepted the position with the understanding that the office would be where it is currently, and not that it would be moving to a place hwere you would have to commute 2 hours each way. That's if your job is possible to do from home.

Yeah, I can do it from home and currently am for the most part. It's 20 minutes drive right now so it's ideal. I've spoken to my boss about it and he thinks it'll actually end up being very close to me for funding reasons but we'll see. I can always go back to contracting if they start doing stupid things.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Eh, I passed the test, so whatever.

Pretty much all the systemd commands still work if you enter the older upstart commands, for now, so it wasn't hard. I was aware of the root change, so it wasn't a problem. Other than that, the test isn't much different if it's on a 6 or a 7 server.

"service" and friend are older than sysv. initctl was upstart's utility, and it's pretty braindead.

The test isn't that different, no. I meant that the exam objectives and the environment you're in are very different between RHC??6 and 7.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Buy a couple copies of The Mythical Man-Machine Month and passive-aggressively leave them in christmas socks on said leaders' office doors.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
poo poo pissing me off but soon to be not:

In the year of our lord 2015, I decided to get in on a volume license for Office and deal with the fallout from finance later.

Looking forward to being able to do away with the box o' Office license key cards, a disaster which I swear I inherited and was not of my own making.

Edit: goddamn there are some Home & Student cards in the bottom :sigh:

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 13, 2015

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sheep posted:

In the year of our lord 2015, I decided to get in on a volume license for Office and deal with the fallout from finance later.

Looking forward to being able to do away with the box o' Office license key cards, a disaster which I swear I inherited and was not of my own making.

Ah yes, the same way my old boss preferred to handle Office licensing.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

nielsm posted:

Buy a couple copies of The Mythical Man-Machine Month and passive-aggressively leave them in christmas socks on said leaders' office doors.

Or put them in said socks, and aggressively beat said leaders with them.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
spending 4 days talking collaboration/doc management/records management only to be told "we have decided everything's a record and thus want rms nodes everywhere"

the loving vendor/support/product devs are saying it wont work, the big SI's wont touch it and gently caress you im not under contract im just a speaker at your lovely conference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Sheep posted:

These aren't resellable, are they?

Wouldn't mind getting me an updated copy of office. I still have a copy of 2007 Ultimate I got from that student dealie thingie.