Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Let's take a look at the great optics of the Mizzou protesters:

quote:

“I personally am tired of hearing that First Amendment rights protect students when they are creating a hostile and unsafe learning environment for myself and for other students here. I think that it’s important for us to create that distinction and create a space where we can all learn from one another and start to create a place of healing rather than a place where we are experiencing a lot of hate like we have in the past.”

So says the student body vice president. How do you achieve the inclusive space for which where everyone can learn and heal together? By kicking out the white people, duh. Pretty loving obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Wouldn't the actions of Congress show the exact opposite? Congress trying to pass laws restricting the FCC means they believe the FCC may have that power currently and they want to remove/limit it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

He tried so hard, and got so far, but in the eeeeend it doesn't even matter. :smug: http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/24/politics/obama-gun-laws-louisiana-shooting/

Oh, shutup.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Let's take a look at the great optics of the Mizzou protesters:

So says the student body vice president. How do you achieve the inclusive space for which where everyone can learn and heal together? By kicking out the white people, duh. Pretty loving obvious.
Uuugh. You know what would be a great way to prove that Congress wants them to change their rules? Pass a bill about it!

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 12, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DeusExMachinima posted:

Medicaid/care is one thing, but middle-class people's healthcare isn't my problem. So I guess I'm saying, good luck to CO or whatevs.

He tried so hard, and got so far, but in the eeeeend it doesn't even matter. :smug: http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/24/politics/obama-gun-laws-louisiana-shooting/

Yeah, Obama has empathy for dead kids, what a stupid fucker. :smug:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

JT Jag posted:

Uuugh.
You know what would be a great way to prove that Congress wants them to change their rules? Pass a bill about it!

Yeah but that would be doing things and that's a good way to get primaried next election. Better safe than sorry.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

It's an interesting article and you should take time to sit down and read it to your strawman, but how is it relevant, other than to demonstrate that conservatives do stupid poo poo too? We're all very well aware.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Teflon Don posted:

I'd like to see some evidence for this, if there is any at all that is.

Your brain already does this in arguments about GMO's and poo poo. How is your brain trying to dehumanize the other side to protect itself not a reasonable thing to expect when you end up having to kill people in your day to day life?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

It's an interesting article and you should take time to sit down and read it to your strawman, but how is it relevant, other than to demonstrate that conservatives do stupid poo poo too? We're all very well aware.

It's actually illustrating that assholes like Jonathan Chait weren't and aren't concerned about it. It's almost like they have a double standard or something :iiam:

But hey, I guess it's easier for you to recoil into petty attempts to undermine a point than it is to actually engage about the topic and defend your views on the matter?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Conor Friedersdorf wrote what I thought was a pretty good response to that godawful New Yorker article on Yale and the University of Missouri. It's long enough that I'm not going to quote it into this thread, but if you read Jelani Cobb's piece you should definitely read this one too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

greatn posted:

Isn't Colorado to small of a state for single payer to work? I thought the risk pools just aren't big enough in almost any single state.

Colorado has 5.4 million people. That's more people than live in say, Norway or Ireland; and it's about the same people as live in Finland and Denmark. And by 2020, given current growth rates, it'll be bigger than both of those.

Like sure, doing it in California would be even better with a risk pool of 39 million people, but 5.4 million people is certainly enough.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

LGD posted:

Conor Friedersdorf wrote what I thought was a pretty good response to that godawful New Yorker article on Yale and the University of Missouri. It's long enough that I'm not going to quote it into this thread, but if you read Jelani Cobb's piece you should definitely read this one too.

No, he's still full of poo poo. Acceptance of racist Halloween costumes is pervasive and accepted racism and was only part of the loving point. He's just mad he got called out for being a tone-deaf rear end in a top hat.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 12, 2015

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Are we sure they're not just big KISS fans and they're blocking the KI on the flag?

edit: That'll teach me to not refresh before posting.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/howard-university-braces-for-attack-after-chilling-racist-threat-its-not-murder-if-theyre-black/

quote:

e president of Howard University announced on Thursday that the school had increased security after receiving a racist death threat against all students.

“We are aware of the threat made against the University and its students and are working with campus, local, and federal law enforcement on this serious matter,” President Wayne A. I. Frederick wrote in an email to students. “However, in an abundance of caution, the University has increased security on campus and at area metro stations.”

The threat, which was reportedly posted to an online forum on Wednesday, was being shared on social media by Thursday morning.

“I mean we might as well bend over and let the n****rs f*ck us right in the rear end,” the posting said. “They’re unhappy no matter what.”

According to the threat, “good people” like former University Missouri President Timothy Wolfe, who resigned after mishandling racial incidents, were being made to “suffer.”

“I left MU yesterday because I didn’t want to put up with it anymore,” the commenter wrote. “I go home to MD and what do I see? The same old poo poo. Turn on the news and it’s always n****rs causing trouble everywhere.”

“So I’ve decided. Any n****rs left at Howard University after 10 tomorrow will be the first to go,” the message continued. “And any of those cheapstake [SIC] n****rs who try to get out using the metro will regret that choice real fast.”

The writer said that he knew police will kill him but “I’ll go out a hero knowing I made the world better.”

“They were stupid to know what to do when they got freed,” the threat added. “Sometimes the best thing to do is to put stupid out of its misery.”

“After all, it’s not murder if they’re black.”

Howard University has advised students to report any suspicious activity to “Howard University Department of Public Safety at 202-806-1100 or the District of Columbia Metro Police Department at 202-727-9099.”

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

When I read that, my prevailing emotion isn't actually anger. It's pity. What does someone have to go through to end up with these worldviews?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Based on his usage of the 'I' vs. the "we" pronoun we can deduce that this is just another lone nut obviously so whatcha gonna do?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

JT Jag posted:

When I read that, my prevailing emotion isn't actually anger. It's pity. What does someone have to go through to end up with these worldviews?

A mediocre life and Fox news.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It was posted on /b/ of course. It's long gone now and I didn't save a screenshot.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Maybe Google, with their effort to associate Youtube channels with actual names, has a point about anonymity in the internet. The more anonymous a place is, the less accountable someone is, the more toxic it potentially becomes. Usernames are a happy medium: you're associating with what you say, even if you aren't using your actual name. But full anonymity like chanboards use allows people's id to come out.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Alligator Horse posted:

I know you aren't replying to me but just to make clear, I posted the original article not to say 'lol Republican warmongers' but out of genuine wonder as to what factors--besides the obvious--color the politics of current and former members of the military.

I wonder how hard it is for researchers to check on individuals' political affiliation (via voter registration). I feel like they could just check to see whether a statistically significant number of persons go from D reg. pre-enlistment to R reg. post-service to determine whether or not the actual institution affects change in political consciousness.

I think an issue here is that many states don't have party registration, and you need a bunch of rather young folks to be registered in the first place.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

a shameful boehner posted:

Colorado is going to put universal health care on the ballot next year:

If it actually passes we may need to annex Wyoming for space for everyone moving here, we already kinda do because of marijuana legalization

Didn't Vermont already try this and fail?

EDIT: Woops, didn't even finish reading the quote. It'll be interesting to see a larger state tackle this, that's for sure.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Didn't Vermont already try this and fail?
Vermont was tiny and their population couldn't support the coverage pool required by UHC. Colorado is a bit bigger, but still not ideal. It'll be interesting.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

LGD posted:

lol

quote:

Defenders of the First Amendment aren’t distracting from attention from racism—they’re preserving the tools necessary to struggle against it.

Yes, because it's the white bloggers and thinkpiece writers who have historically affected change, and not the people doing the actual, and often messy, on the ground work, or the journalists who actually report the real story and not this navel-gazing "am I, white blogger with a national platform, being silenced by critics?" nonsense. I also like how he opens with a school unsuccessfully trying to curb racism with speech codes which...I don't think Mizzou is atempting to do? Similarly, he decries "policing" of Halloween costumes as if trying to make people aware that wearing blackface is insensitive and lovely is really some kind of aggressive act of oppression. It's more of the same bullshit that equates minorities/liberal exercising their first amendment rights with creeping fascism.

It's also silly how Friedersdorf tries to pull a "look at all the good opinions I've had about black issues" move to show that he couldn't possibly be engaging in behavior that minimizes the concerns of the Mizzou students. Cobb even acknowledges toward the end of his piece that these people like Friedersdorf are often not intentionally trying to minimize issues of racism, and yet Friedersdorf still manages to write a piece about how the big bad PC police are calling him a racist.

quote:

about Ferguson’s conspiracy against black residents; racial disparities in police killings; dangers of constructed white identity; the Campaign Zero agenda; the importance of declaring the Charleston attack to be racial terrorism; the long history of thugs attacking black churches; how video is confirming very old claims about prejudice against blacks; the brutality of police culture in Baltimore; radical experiments in converting racists; the importance of grappling with race, even imperfectly; Islamophobia and its deleterious effects; the perils of standing while Hispanic in the Bronx; the harassment of a black man tazed by a white police officer; carnage caused by drone strikes; the horrifying effects of profiling innocent Muslims, etc.

Few outside a small part of the ideological left would mistake me for someone seeking to divert discourse away from racism. Moreover, my advocacy for free speech encompasses numerous articles about controversies having nothing to do with race, as well as advocacy for the First Amendment rights of people fighting racism (including high schoolers who sought to wear “I can’t breathe” t-shirts, Black Lives Matter protestors, and Muslims who sought to build a mosque near Ground Zero.) When a staunch defender of free speech in all realms, who writes about racism as often as I do in a national publication, is reflexively cast as using free speech to divert attention from racism, it suggests a charge rooted in ideological blindness, not careful observation.

:qq:

If you accidentally hit me in the face and I'm like "yo dawg maybe stop wildly swinging your arms around," and you call for the fainting couch because actually my response is the equivalent of labeling you a violent thug and calling for your arrest...that's kind of on you.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 12, 2015

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No, he's still full of poo poo. Acceptance of racist Halloween costumes is pervasive and accepted racism and was only part of the loving point. He's just mad he got called out for being a tone-deaf rear end in a top hat.

Nah, he addresses all the salient points in the Cobb article. Were there any you feel he missed? He also might (or might not) be mad* about being called "tone deaf," but he actually addresses that accusation directly and constructs a cogent argument about why accusations of tone-deafness are beside the point.

*though loving lol that you're needing to pull a "he mad" defense of the Cobb's article

edit:

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yes, because it's the white bloggers and thinkpiece writers who have historically affected change, and not the people doing the actual, and often messy, on the ground work, or the journalists who actually report the real story and not this navel-gazing "am I, white blogger with a national platform, being silenced by critics?"
He's responding to a New Yorker article. I cannot imagine a circumstance where playing the "effete white liberal, not any kind of real man difference maker" is less appropriate.

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 12, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
One of the big problems with establishing single payer in Vermont, which will also be a problem in Colorado is that states can't actually create a single payer system because large portions of the population are covered by the federal government under Medicare and Medicaid (along with a smaller portion on military benefits), which significantly decreases the size of the pool.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

One of the big problems with establishing single payer in Vermont, which will also be a problem in Colorado is that states can't actually create a single payer system because large portions of the population are covered by the federal government under Medicare and Medicaid (along with a smaller portion on military benefits), which significantly decreases the size of the pool.
The easiest way to implement singlepayer nationwide would be to just make Medicare available to all, it's actually already a single-payer system, albeit a focused one.

I wonder if a state could choose to broaden Medicare recipients if they picked up the remainder of the tab.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Joementum posted:

I figured as such. What about California or New York? Has any analysis been done of the feasibility of starting there?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

JT Jag posted:

BA in Criminal Justice usually.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Trying to paint someone you disagree with as an oversensitive moron is a bad practice and it's weird to see it being used in defense of the protests here instead of the traditional usage of attacking them.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

greatn posted:

Isn't Colorado to small of a state for single payer to work? I thought the risk pools just aren't big enough in almost any single state.

Any state could pull it off if they wanted to. Everyone is already paying for health care and the gov. is putting a ton of money in too...
All you have to do is restructure the way pay people pay and cut out the profiteering.

Simply recapture the money spent on health costs and bang, done. Then the Gov. gets to dictate pricing and protocol and you have a rocking system in place.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

JT Jag posted:

I wonder if a state could choose to broaden Medicare recipients if they picked up the remainder of the tab.
They already shrink it even before the ACA in a lot of states, medicaid is more a state run program to administer the federal money than a straight up federal program like medicare.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

LGD posted:

Can we get a new thread for this college stuff so this thread isn't subjected to it's endless banality?

Pohl fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 12, 2015

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Joementum posted:

I read through the budget analysis. Everyone would be covered under the single-payer system and they will ask the federal government for a block grant based on projected hypothetical reimbursement rates from Medicaid/Medicare/Tricare/VA if there were no single-payer in place.

Assuming the federal government doesn't just tell them to pound sand, they're getting a pretty good deal out of this since the tab for the most expensive part of the pool (Medicare recipients) will be picked up by the federal government.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pohl posted:

Any state could pull it off if they wanted to. Everyone is already paying for health care and the gov. is putting a ton of money in too...
All you have to do is restructure the way pay people pay and cut out the profiteering.

Simply recapture the money spent on health costs and bang, done. Then the Gov. gets to dictate pricing and protocol and you have a rocking system in place.

The Vermont plan would have required an 11.5% payroll tax increase and had a 0-9.5% income-based deductible. It would not cover employees of small businesses unless the state decided to take on an additional $500m in cost, which would have required another 4% payroll tax increase. It also would have gone into deficit in the fourth year.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Phlegmatist posted:

I read through the budget analysis. Everyone would be covered under the single-payer system and they will ask the federal government for a block grant based on projected hypothetical reimbursement rates from Medicaid/Medicare/Tricare/VA if there were no single-payer in place.

Assuming the federal government doesn't just tell them to pound sand, they're getting a pretty good deal out of this since the tab for the most expensive part of the pool (Medicare recipients) will be picked up by the federal government.

Would block-granting that money require legislation? Because, if so....

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Joementum posted:

The Vermont plan would have required an 11.5% payroll tax increase and had a 0-9.5% income-based deductible. It would not cover employees of small businesses unless the state decided to take on an additional $500m in cost, which would have required another 4% payroll tax increase. It also would have gone into deficit in the fourth year.

Oh poo poo. No I was talking about working within the system as it is, and changing it.
Obviously there are a ton of barriers at the moment, but we could fund it no problem. With our current spending, we are more than funding it. Politically it is a shitshow, but yeah, we could do it no problem.
That is what I meant.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

A Future Cop posted:

“After all, it’s not murder if they’re black.”

Sounds like this supposed "racist" is going by the same rules that law enforcement does. Seems like the real issue is why we have a double standard for civilians and police.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Another big problem with a state-based single payer system, which Colorado will also face, is that your healthcare plan benefit is considered income, but is excluded from federal income tax if it's paid for in certain ways, one of which is to take it out of payroll. That's why the Vermont plan relied on a payroll tax: it was the only way to make it so that there wouldn't be a federal income tax hike for all the plan's recipients. This creates an obvious political problem.

Anyway, I hope for the best for Colorado and am cautiously optimistic they can pull it off.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Basically, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik

Interestingly, I found this Atlantic article about Ben Carson's plan to crack down on liberal PC college professors, and I was surprised to see it was also written by Friedersdorf. Doesn't seem like it really caught on like his other ones did, I guess we'll never know why :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Internet Webguy posted:

Sounds like this supposed "racist" is going by the same rules that law enforcement does. Seems like the real issue is why we have a double standard for civilians and police.

You have to go to academy, pay your dues and poo poo.

• Locked thread