Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Singapore or boracay or some Thai beach like koh samui

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This.

I will have ONE MILLION UNITED MILES (award, not rear end in seat) when I land at LAX tomorrow morning.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Side note, I was initially fussed over going to Phuket instead of the usual trifecta that's plastered all over travel blogs: Koh Samui/Tao/Phangan, but I'm not too bugged now since it looks like Bangkok Airlines has a monopoly on flights in/out of USM. Forgive the random derail, but yeah... what's up with that?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Chicago to Asia for a week sounds awful.

When are you looking to travel?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

air- posted:

Side note, I was initially fussed over going to Phuket instead of the usual trifecta that's plastered all over travel blogs: Koh Samui/Tao/Phangan, but I'm not too bugged now since it looks like Bangkok Airlines has a monopoly on flights in/out of USM. Forgive the random derail, but yeah... what's up with that?

Bangkok Airways built the airport, if I remember correctly.

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Singapore sounds like a solid option.

Sometime in spring next year or summer time.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I've heard Signapore is great but the flight is 23 hours. Add in security and transport to and from the airport and you've lost 25% of your vacation if you go Sat to the following Sunday (9 days). Not to mention the time you spend trying to get use to the time change. I think you have to do 2 weeks.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!
I really loved Cambodia and would suggest it - especially down south in Sihanoukville.

The capital was bleh.

Angkor Wat was great to see.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you guys are using miles and all, might as well go to other more expensive locations like South America and Africa. There are more than enough flights from the Americas to Europe or Asia.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Well the bigger problem is living in Chicago :downsrim:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm not following that logic? South America can be super cheap. A flight to Asia is hit or miss. Europe can be really expensive.

Just go somewhere nice and if you're taking a premium cabin be selective on the carrier you take

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Actually South America is a smart idea. You'll also have the perk of not having a huge time adjustment!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I flew to Buenos Aires from NYC and it was a red eye with no time change. Go to sleep in one city, wake up in another. If you can sleep on planes, very nice.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
London - Cape Town is the same thing. 12 hour flight, same(ish) time zone.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Any tips for a favorite hotel in Washington DC? Everything in downtown seems really old and not renovated in years even at the high end.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

Any tips for a favorite hotel in Washington DC? Everything in downtown seems really old and not renovated in years even at the high end.

The W is pretty new. What part of town are you looking at?

Edit: also try the DC thread.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 13, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's also Air BnB. The higher end places cost as much as a hotel but it's more similar to a service apartment.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Work won't pay for sharing economy stuff like that.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Southwest flights suck and are a sign of a bad/poor employer if you need to fly them.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

anne frank fanfic posted:

Southwest flights suck and are a sign of a bad/poor employer if you need to fly them.

All of the infrequent travelers at my company fly SW, and when I mention that I don't, I usually get a 20 minute lecture on how great they are. I flew SW for years. Hell, I used to drive from West MI to Chicago Midway just to fly Southwest because GRR had gently caress all for flights to anywhere but DTW, MSP or ORD.

Those days are gone though. I hate the clown car feeling of SW flights. I don't even like going over by the SW gates at the airport because of the difference in crowds.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

It's a weird dichotomy for me. I don't mind Southwest for personal travel (and flying out of DAY, nobody else has anything as big as a 737 - you can get a few MD-80 flights, but nearly everything is a regional jet). However, I really dislike it when they're the contract carrier for one of my business travel city pairs.

I think you're right, there's a different crowd mentality on Southwest flights that's fine when I'm on vacation, but really bothers me when I'm trying to get stuff done.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My travel plans are hosed. I got an expo in Nuremberg but plan to stay in London before and Paris afterwards.

I was just too lazy to buy multi year travel insurance. Ugh Wonder if I can get a air reroute and change

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

caberham posted:

My travel plans are hosed. I got an expo in Nuremberg but plan to stay in London before and Paris afterwards.

I was just too lazy to buy multi year travel insurance. Ugh Wonder if I can get a air reroute and change

For a fee, sure.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Mackieman posted:

For a fee, sure.

My Tombstone:

Low Cost Carrier Baller

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
gently caress me:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/11/14/terror-alert-london-gatwick-airport-evacuated-bomb-disposal-team-site/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The UK are even bigger cocksuckers about security than the US, it's almost certainly bullshit.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

DJCobol posted:

All of the infrequent travelers at my company fly SW, and when I mention that I don't, I usually get a 20 minute lecture on how great they are. I flew SW for years. Hell, I used to drive from West MI to Chicago Midway just to fly Southwest because GRR had gently caress all for flights to anywhere but DTW, MSP or ORD.

Those days are gone though. I hate the clown car feeling of SW flights. I don't even like going over by the SW gates at the airport because of the difference in crowds.

You don't like flip flops and tanktops with armpit hair hanging out or "active grandma travel clubs"?

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Quick question because you are all travel pros: any tips for sleeping on a plane and/or travel pillow recs? Last time I did a long-haul multi-city trip I ended up sleeping about 5 out of 72 hours, but am looking for ways to avoid that next time. Also, has anyone done an international red-eye? I'm thinking they're probably better for jetlag...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Best way to sleep on a plane is to fly biz class.

Sometimes I pop a Benadryl and sleep for a while if I can't sleep normally.

Red eyes are what you make of it. If you can sleep great, if you can't you'll be tired regardless. I try to go on the plane tired if it's long enough and I can count on being tired at the right time upon landing.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

district 12 posted:

Quick question because you are all travel pros: any tips for sleeping on a plane and/or travel pillow recs? Last time I did a long-haul multi-city trip I ended up sleeping about 5 out of 72 hours, but am looking for ways to avoid that next time. Also, has anyone done an international red-eye? I'm thinking they're probably better for jetlag...

The only trick that does anything for jet lag for me is to force myself to stay up until 9-10 PM local time the first day. I can maybe sorta sleep on planes but 4 hours of sleep isn't good enough in 24-36 hours. Because of this, I try to land in the afternoon or at night on internationals so that I can quickly go to bed. Also, exercise.

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014

district 12 posted:

My recommendation is to fly first class and drink until you pass out.

It works 100% of the time for me.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

district 12 posted:

I'm constantly hopping around Western Canada, Eastern Canada, and Western Europe, so I do decent amount of red-eye flying, and I've given up trying to sleep on a flight (not that you should give up right away), and instead make it bearable by paying more to get some sleep right after landing.

Longer trips are always better for me, if only because going across more time zones, you're talking about surviving on a couple hours sleep over 31 hours (West coast NA 7am to Western Europe 10pm) instead of a couple hours sleep over 37 hours (West Coast NA 7am to East Coast NA 10pm). I often (ish) fly Vancouver to London, getting 90-120 minutes sleep on the plane, and a shower on the other end, without needing a nap.

Where I've changed stuff up to make life easier on shorter red-eyes (TATL from east cost or domestic) is:
-I can sleep like a baby on a train or bus. If I have a short haul connection on the other end, I'm willing to pay quite a bit extra to take a bus or a train instead of a short flight. I'm going to Belgium every now and then, and much prefer flying into AMS or CDG and getting a 2 hour nap on the train on my way to Brussels vs the direct flight. Brussels is a special case as AF and KLM offer train connections on the same ticket, but even if it's southern France or Western Germany or something, I'll still take the train on a separate itinerary after landing at CDG or AMS or another airport with good ground connections. Flying into Manchester and taking the train to London is a good one too. It does generally cost extra, but getting stuff done on the day I land is worth $100-$200 to me.
-If there's no connection at the end of the flight, I try and get a 2 hour nap in if I'm landing at 6-8am if there's any way to do so without paying through the nose. If I'm staying with friends, I try and get a direct flight, get to their house ASAP (usually before they've left for work) and sleep for 2 hours (not more than that though!). Sometimes the airport hotels offer a special rate for red-eye recuperation. Again, 2 hours only! Getting to sleep at 9-11pm the night you arrive is crucial.

This of course may be completely impractical for you, or even if doable, not work at all.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 15, 2015

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

district 12 posted:

Biz class or better, drugs, drink, suck it up. It's never easy you just get used to the routine.

Honestly I look for longer flights to get sleep on. A flight from EWR or IAD to MUC is like 6hours. With take off, landing and dinner it really doesn't leave a ton time for any sleep.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately I'm paying out of pocket because it's for fun not work, so first-class/business-class isn't an option. I tried Xanax and beer last time and that did nothing, maybe I'll try Benadryl and wine. :angel: My flight's set for take-off at 11:50pm and landing at 4am which sounds okay, but I think it could still be a bit tricky.

Kreez, you have a good idea with the airline hotel, I think ICN has a capsule-style hotel attached where I can crash on the cheap before heading to my accommodation. I'll look into it!

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I've heard skipping the meal or outright fasting is a good way to get a jump on resetting your clock. I'm typically in business which is hard to pass up the amount of comfort a big meal provides.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

AgrippaNothing posted:

I've heard skipping the meal or outright fasting is a good way to get a jump on resetting your clock. I'm typically in business which is hard to pass up the amount of comfort a big meal provides.

It was helpful for me coming over to AMS last night to pass up the meal on the plane and eat an early dinner (about 5 PM EST), then try to get to sleep right away on the plane.

I do like the fun of the meal, though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

district 12 posted:

I tried Xanax and beer last time and that did nothing, maybe I'll try Benadryl and wine. :angel:

You probably heard this already but be really careful with Xanax and alcohol.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

AgrippaNothing posted:

I've never heard this before! If you fast before you go on the plane would that do anything? Based on my flight times, when dinner service comes around it'll be time for a late lunch in Korea.

Midjack posted:

You probably heard this already but be really careful with Xanax and alcohol.

Ah thanks. I only took one pill when my flight took off so by the time I had the beer it wasn't really going to do much, I think. I don't do it recreationally, just as needed :)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I just meet goons and get super excited. Best way to fight jet lag without flying business class. Or once you land just drink red bull and stay up until 8pm and then crash. You will probably wake up at 5 or some stupidly early time.

I think running actually helps a lot. You stay in shape, you get tired, then after a hot shower you can nap for a few hours or go for breakfast.

Actually everyone in this thread needs to exercise. You are much more nimble, mobile, and don't feel as sluggish when are not a fat loving tub of lard

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

district 12 posted:

I've never heard this before! If you fast before you go on the plane would that do anything? Based on my flight times, when dinner service comes around it'll be time for a late lunch in Korea.

Ah thanks. I only took one pill when my flight took off so by the time I had the beer it wasn't really going to do much, I think. I don't do it recreationally, just as needed :)

I think Korea is OK but be careful and check before entering other countries with stronger medicine like Xanax on you in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

I think Korea is OK but be careful and check before entering other countries with stronger medicine like Xanax on you in the future.

It's a good idea to have the paper prescription with you anyway. Even if your intended destination doesn't require it you never know where you'll get diverted to or if you lose or have your meds stolen.