Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I really like the Fifth Element but I always wondered why Gary Oldman had a mini elephant just chilling in his drawer

When we saw it as teenagers we asked the same question - concluding it was like a futuristic cat (for the villain to stroke like Blofeld) except for one guy who kept insisting that it was for Zorg's 'Executive Relief' because of the 'come hither' eyelashes and lipsticked mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

kinmik posted:

Spoilers for Jurassic World I guess?
In the climactic fight, if the T-rex's brain can parse the fact that she was saved by Blue, wouldn't she also have this huge instinctual hatred of raptors, seeing as how she's the OG Rex from the first movie and she got the scars after being attacked by others raptors? I do love that it's the some one, though. Also, I like to imagine that soon after Blue parted ways from Owen, sparing him, Claire, and the kids, she immediately attacked some other poor straggling survivor.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I just assumed it decided it had enough, and killing something that isn't currently posing a threat wasn't worth the effort.

It's theoretically the difference between the manmade killing machine and the "natural" dinosaurs The I-rex is bugfuck crazy assumingly from being a combo of both solitary and pack dinosaurs

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

Welp, someone better make a fan edit now.

There's probably already a The Sexth Element.

Edit: Yep.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Another thing that always bugged me about the Fifth Element is how smug Bilbo Baggins was when Gary Oldman was choking on a cherry pit. Did other people have heimlic robots in their offices in case they start choking? Some sort of cherry pit transporter? Should he have been eating pit less cherries?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Another thing that always bugged me about the Fifth Element is how smug Bilbo Baggins was when Gary Oldman was choking on a cherry pit. Did other people have heimlic robots in their offices in case they start choking? Some sort of cherry pit transporter? Should he have been eating pit less cherries?

God drat. He was being smug because Zorg had robots and employees, not family and friends who cared for him and would be around to try to save him if he were choking. He was implying that his employees might loathe Zorg enough to let him die.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Doubtful Guest posted:

When we saw it as teenagers we asked the same question - concluding it was like a futuristic cat (for the villain to stroke like Blofeld) except for one guy who kept insisting that it was for Zorg's 'Executive Relief' because of the 'come hither' eyelashes and lipsticked mouth.

If that guy thinks that thing is sexy it says an awful lot about him.

Regarding Spectre:

We get treated to the slam-crash fight scene on the train in Tunisia against the Big Henchman (who may have a name but I saw it at a noisy outdoor theater) that destroys several cars and most of a kitchen. The next shot is the same train merrily rolling along and Bond and co getting off at their stop. I can see when Bond causes massive devastation in a country and quietly slips back out into the crowd, but you're on a goddamn train. Did the staff just decide "obviously the fight is over, no need to stop and alert the authorities. We'll roll merrily along and let them know when we get back!"

Also, what was the point of Blofield entering a rigged-to-explode building and installing a panel of bulletproof glass just to get a good taunt in on Bond? Leave a laptop open with Skype and do that poo poo from a mile away. Was he just hanging out in that little cubicle all night playing Bejeweled on his phone and wondering when Bond would get there? Then again a villain being undone by their own hubris and urge to gloat over Bond when they could just kill him is pretty much a staple of the series so I can't hate on this too much.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Didn't Luc Besson write the Fifth Element when he was like 15 years old? That explains basically anything in that movie.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Especially the soldiers and POTUS peeping in on naked Milla at the end.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Wild T posted:

Especially the soldiers and POTUS peeping in on naked Milla at the end.

You know in the context of the movie, she's supposed to be perfect, right?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Doubtful Guest posted:

Don't you literally see him petting it like a villain cat in a later scene?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

kizudarake posted:

You know in the context of the movie, she's supposed to be perfect, right?

Milla Jovovich is also perfect in the context of RL.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Doubtful Guest posted:

I also thought this, which apparently makes me some kind of xeno-zoophiliac now. feelsgoodman

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

exquisite tea posted:

Didn't Luc Besson write the Fifth Element when he was like 15 years old? That explains basically anything in that movie.

Yeah, probably right after reading The Incal :cheeky:

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

exquisite tea posted:

Fun fact: She was 1/2 Bruce Willis's age at the time the movie came out!

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Well, that goes without saying.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The North Tower posted:

Fun fact: She was 1/2 Bruce Willis's age at the time the movie came out!

It's kind of funny but the new Vin Diesel movie The Last Witch Hunter takes this to the extreme. Not only is he a lot older than his love interest in real life, his character is hundreds of years older than her in the movie.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Wild T posted:

If that guy thinks that thing is sexy it says an awful lot about him.

Regarding Spectre:

We get treated to the slam-crash fight scene on the train in Tunisia against the Big Henchman (who may have a name but I saw it at a noisy outdoor theater) that destroys several cars and most of a kitchen. The next shot is the same train merrily rolling along and Bond and co getting off at their stop. I can see when Bond causes massive devastation in a country and quietly slips back out into the crowd, but you're on a goddamn train. Did the staff just decide "obviously the fight is over, no need to stop and alert the authorities. We'll roll merrily along and let them know when we get back!"

That bugged me too. Also why bother to have Batista attack Bond on the train when Blofeld had his little plan at the hidden crater base anyway?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Poldarn posted:

That bugged me too. Also why bother to have Batista attack Bond on the train when Blofeld had his little plan at the hidden crater base anyway?

Batista is a lowtech megabrawler. He got his order to kill and never bothered or cared about checking in again without a corpse.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

StealthArcher posted:

Batista is a lowtech megabrawler. He got his order to kill and never bothered or cared about checking in again without a corpse.

He was given the job of killing Bond and Madeleine Swann and Blofeld does not like failure.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Any time a scene ends with the entire location blowing up for very dubious reasons, as if the scriptwriter couldn't think of a climactic ended so just finished with 'and then everything exploded'.

Bond films are particularly bad offenders. Quantum of Solace, the hotel is obliterated because somebody crashes a car in the garage. And now Spectre, Blofeld's entire base goes up like a munitions dump because Bond shoots some kind of gas valve thing a couple of times. It's a loving information gathering facility, why the hell would it be so explosive?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

volatile thoughts

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

jabby posted:

Any time a scene ends with the entire location blowing up for very dubious reasons, as if the scriptwriter couldn't think of a climactic ended so just finished with 'and then everything exploded'.

Bond films are particularly bad offenders. Quantum of Solace, the hotel is obliterated because somebody crashes a car in the garage. And now Spectre, Blofeld's entire base goes up like a munitions dump because Bond shoots some kind of gas valve thing a couple of times. It's a loving information gathering facility, why the hell would it be so explosive?

At least in QoS we had a cool climax inside the exploding location, complete with axe fight. Spectre they just shrug and leave.

The whole damned movie was just so bland.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
But it broke the record for biggest film explosion ever, and isn't that what's truly important?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

While the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses and weird obsession of the super fans has soured Firefly a bit I still enjoy the series...but there's no way in hell that Jayne's existence on the ship makes any sense. Mal likes to be in 100% control while he's on board, to the point where he refers to space itself as "my sky", and yet he pays an openly hostile, insubordinate trigger-happy lunatic to play with all his guns? The pilot literally ends with Jayne saying that once the money is good enough he'll sell Mal out...to Mal's face. And then, later, when it actually happens, Mal ends up letting him back on the ship again. In a show with so many good characters Whedon didn't make a hell of a lot of effort making sure they made sense together.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ryoshi posted:

While the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses and weird obsession of the super fans has soured Firefly a bit I still enjoy the series...but there's no way in hell that Jayne's existence on the ship makes any sense. Mal likes to be in 100% control while he's on board, to the point where he refers to space itself as "my sky", and yet he pays an openly hostile, insubordinate trigger-happy lunatic to play with all his guns? The pilot literally ends with Jayne saying that once the money is good enough he'll sell Mal out...to Mal's face. And then, later, when it actually happens, Mal ends up letting him back on the ship again. In a show with so many good characters Whedon didn't make a hell of a lot of effort making sure they made sense together.

Mal sees the good in Jayne, which is slowly revealed to actually exist throughout the series. We see in a flashback how Mal ends up taking him in; he's in a rough spot and offering a job to one of the enemy's goons is the only way out, so he takes it. Mal might have never hired Jayne under normal conditions.

Then said armed goon seems useful at being an armed goon so he keeps him around, while always knowing he has to keep him in place. Mal's just confident in his own ability to control Jayne. And we see throughout the series times when Mal totally puts Jayne in his place. He's the captain and Jayne knows it.

Even when Jayne actually goes against the crew, when Mal finds out Jayne acts like a boy who got his hand caught in the cookie jar. He begs Mal's forgiveness, and part of what makes Mal actually forgive him an let him back in is explicitly that Jayne says "don't tell the others what I did...". Even though Jayne has some bad thoughts, he still has a conscience and he feels guilt, and Mal understands that and gives him a second chance. Then having given him that second chance, they become closer and he can trust Jayne more.

I dunno man makes sense to me and seems pretty well written. They're dynamic characters that change slightly over the series as real people do.
Book is probably the character who makes the least sense, which is why he spends probably the last time on board. That or River, honestly Mal should probably drop River and Simon off at the nearest outpost and wish them the best. But its believable that he gives a poo poo about them.

I think the characters are generally well thought-out. The relationship between Mal and Zoe, who seem made for each other, is really well handled, as is the relationship with Zoe and Wash. They're opposites and yet they play really well off each other.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Nov 11, 2015

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Naw jayne sucks

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
If you really want an irrational irritating moment.
Just watching Kingsman and there's a line when Eggsy meets the posh-boy recruits and one of them make's a joke about him serving him at the McDonalds in Winchester service station.
Well gently caress you Hollywood, Winch service station has a Burger King not a McDonalds.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Naw jayne sucks

Adam Baldwin sucks more

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

syscall girl posted:

Adam Baldwin sucks more

I don't know who that is

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

I don't know who that is

He played a real sick gently caress in Full Metal Jacket, also played Jayne

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I know that guy! Man he sucks

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

oldpainless posted:

I don't know who that is

He was great in "My Bodyguard".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Pretty sure Adam Baldwin is severely developmentally disabled so a lot of this is starting to seem cruel

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Pretty sure Adam Baldwin is severely developmentally disabled so a lot of this is starting to seem cruel

He is a republican so this checks out

Everyone lay off on him

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

He has brothers to take care of him.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I feel like there's some in-joke about Adam Baldwin that i'm missing right now.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's about ethics in Adam Baldwin criticism, for me at least.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheFallenEvincar posted:

It's about ethics in Adam Baldwin criticism, for me at least.

Wil Wheaton talked about a twitter exchange he had where Baldwin was basically saying "yeah man this is hilarious I can get all of these gamergate idiots whipped into a frenzy just by posting vague support, it's funny you and I should have a fake twitter war over it! Publicity bro!"

Adam Baldwin is a dumb oval office, is what I'm going for here.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Just watching Kingsman and there's a line when Eggsy meets the posh-boy recruits and one of them make's a joke about him serving him at the McDonalds in Winchester service station.
Well gently caress you Hollywood, Winch service station has a Burger King not a McDonalds.

Like those ponces ever had fast food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Just watching Kingsman and there's a line when Eggsy meets the posh-boy recruits

It irrationally irritated me towards the end of the film when Eggsy and his main posh-rival meet up again after Posh-boy has joined up with the bad guys after washing out of Kingsman training, and Eggsy easily takes him out with like one move before moving on. Posh-boy might have been a prick, but up till the moment he put his own life above the Kingsmen he was shown to be just as accomplished and skillful as Eggsy which is kinda why they were going through the whole testing procedure in the first place - they couldn't separate the candidates otherwise. Eggsy taking him out so completely basically suggested Posh-boy was always completely inferior and coasting by purely on his family name as opposed to being a viable candidate who just so happened to be a huge rear end in a top hat to the main protagonist.