Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

jivjov posted:

I can understand Nintendo not wanting to push a microtransaction-driven service like that automatically. Would probably get some pushback from concerned parents

With good reason. I wouldn't want my kids going anywhere near a crane game on which they can piss away a dollar for five tries at a virtual rock from Zelda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fix posted:

With good reason. I wouldn't want my kids going anywhere near a crane game on which they can piss away a dollar for five tries at a virtual rock from Zelda.

You can earn free plays from the practice machine; so it's not 100% real money driven.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

jivjov posted:

You can earn free plays from the practice machine; so it's not 100% real money driven.

please,

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yes, I realize that. It takes all of a minute to do and then you're back to cash.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, I like how you can get about two or three minutes worth free play a day for how simple the game is and how small the prizes are, but I wouldn't let a child touch this game, they'd probably hammer the buy more tries button.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

jivjov posted:

This is the equivalent of giving someone a single free lottery ticket to fuel their gambling addiction. It's an utterly empty gesture

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

that's our jivjov

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I like it. The crane game is fun and having limited tries a day makes it more exciting.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Augus posted:

This is the equivalent of giving someone a single free lottery ticket to fuel their gambling addiction. It's an utterly empty gesture
Like to be totally fair, you can actually get a lot of stuff just with the free plays, its a game of skill.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, I like how you can get about two or three minutes worth free play a day for how simple the game is and how small the prizes are, but I wouldn't let a child touch this game, they'd probably hammer the buy more tries button.

At which point you either have to enter your debit/credit card info, or the password which locks out the debit/credit card info.

There is no way to accidentally spend real money in the arcade.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
It's at this point the discussion should be put to a stop unless you want it to spiral out of control.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You can still earn badges in the practice games, you just get more from the real games. But you earn real games so the money just lets you earn badges quicker.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You can still earn badges in the practice games, you just get more from the real games. But you earn real games so the money just lets you earn badges quicker.

Exactly.

As far as microtransaction-driven services go, the badge arcade is remarkably fair, if you're any good with the game at all the plays-per-dollar ratio is in your favor, and it is possible to win every single badge from free plays alone.

The only thing that requires money is themes, and you just get those in return for buying plays, no skill required. So if you want to buy plays just to get themes, you're guaranteed to receive them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

XboxPants posted:

What makes the Wii version of Rodea better than the Wii U version? The small amount of buzz I've heard about it so far was mediocre, but I'm not sure what platform they were talking about.

This game has a weird development history... the original game was developed for Wii by Yuji Naka (Sonic, NiGHTS, PSO) and is controlled entirely with the Wiimote, but the publisher decided to mothball that game and spent several years remaking it for 3DS/Wii U to change the controls, add more RPG/collectathon elements, etc with no involvement from the original developers. It's almost like one of those multi-play games from last gen where the PS360 and Wii versions were very different, except the good version is a pack-in with the bad version.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Anyway, eShop news:

-Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow are all coming to 3DS VC and will be released on February 27, completely with local wireless link cable features!

-Zelda: Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks (DS) are available on the PAL Wii U VC and there's a "buy 1, get the other for half price" promo until November 19.

-Splatoon's getting a gear update on November 13 and a new stage on November 14, with updates confirmed through January

-Triforce Heroes is getting an update on December 3 that adds a new stage, two new costumes, some new matchmaking options and a way to buy Friendly Tokens in-game

-Pokemon Picross (3DS), a f2p Picross game with Pokemon/RPG elements, out early December

-Fast Racing Neo (Wii U) out "early December" in both regions

-Typoman (Wii U) out November 19 in both regions

-Steamworld Heist out for 3DS in December with a free menu theme for buying early; Wii U version comes later

-Announced for Japan: a 3DS port of a popular smartphone game called Q; it has some exclusive content and puzzle reconfigured for the new hardware and will be released next week for 800yen

-Japan's getting some localised indie Wii U games, including Year Walk, Swords & Soldiers 2 and Tiny Thief (a Rovio game, never heard of it, I guess it's a new announcement?)

-Japan's getting Mother 3 on the Wii U VC on December 19

-Cloud's in Smash hahahaha

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 13, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
...oh, and Best Buy's doing 10% off eShop cards, one day only.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I wonder if NA is getting that same promo and VC release for the zelda DS games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

I wonder if NA is getting that same promo and VC release for the zelda DS games.
maybe something like it down the road, it seems like something we'd hear at E3 2016 to be honest

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-Pokemon Picross (3DS), a f2p Picross game with Pokemon/RPG elements, out early December

There is a god and he apparently answers the dumbest prayers

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

Yoshifan823 posted:

There is a god and he apparently answers the dumbest prayers

My prayers aren't dumb :(

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Manticore posted:

My prayers aren't dumb :(

That one is. But it's OK, because I prayed for it too.

There's a lovely F2P Picross game on Facebook that I've been playing to get my fix, but this is so much better because Nintendo doesn't suck at making puzzles and also POKEMON PICROSS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I just went and looked at the JP Direct and oh god the Pokemon VC games are getting a boxed retail release in Japan: (code in a box)

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 13, 2015

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

seems wasteful

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I just went and looked at the JP Direct and oh god the Pokemon VC games are getting a boxed retail release in Japan: (code in a box)

I'm surprised they're releasing Pocket Monster Red, considering it was even buggier than the US releases (The west releases of Red/Blue are built off the Green version).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
red and green came out in japan but by the time they came out in america they were made better and also we got blue

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Unless they incorporate Bank support, I don't care at all. Might as well just play LeafGreen. :v:

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

They also come with a foldout map, a set of stickers in booklet style like the original game manual, and a fridge magnet in the shape of the GB cart.
I may have to buy these, especially since they're coming out on my birthday.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
buy two and sell each to me

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm surprised they're releasing Pocket Monster Red, considering it was even buggier than the US releases (The west releases of Red/Blue are built off the Green version).

More specifically, Red and Blue use the internal data of Red and Green, but the script and build of Japanese Blue. And then Yellow came in based off an anime that hadn't even finished its first season yet.

Gen 1 is weird, but still a lot of fun.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Doug Dinsdale posted:

They also come with a foldout map, a set of stickers in booklet style like the original game manual, and a fridge magnet in the shape of the GB cart.
I may have to buy these, especially since they're coming out on my birthday.

If anyone should have a box like that, it is you.

Someday your tombstone will read: "Doug Dinsdale liked shorts. They were comfy and easy to wear!"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The badge thing is pretty addictive.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I haven't downloaded the badge thing yet, thank you for reading my post.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I downloaded it and will probably play those free rounds every day so I can get some nifty badges on my home screen.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm actually kind of interested in the f2p Pokemon Picross just because it's Picross. They didn't really say how it would work though, it seems to just be that you pay for some sort of gems that let you do stuff?? But you can just do the puzzles if you're not a dumb baby or whatever.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rexroom posted:

I downloaded it and will probably play those free rounds every day so I can get some nifty badges on my home screen.

I used my tutorial 5 plays to set up a sad Mario situation down in the corner of my menu. His mushroom is falling into the death pit, and there's just a goomba comin up on him. Badges are: good.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

The badge thing is pretty addictive.

Seriously. If Nintendo makes a cell phone game like this they're gonna make some loving money. That rabbit is pure evil.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I refuse to spend money on it, but I only got 2 free plays today and I felt pretty sad when they were gone. I can at least wait until there's some badges I genuinely want from Pokemon or Kirby or something before I break down, though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Has pokemon company ever put anything on there? I'd be surprised

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I might spend a penny if they get the entire line on TWEWY pins there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

greatn posted:

Has pokemon company ever put anything on there? I'd be surprised

I honestly didn't know this even existed before it popped up on the eShop two days ago, so I'm not sure. That would be a drat shame if not, though, I'd love to have the Gym badges.

That was one of my tops until SelenicMartian went and said that poo poo about TWEWY pins and now that's all I want.