Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, when's the last time you heard a black person stating that black people were superior and actually being convincing? That's because our entire society stands on the conception of the inferiority of african americans, and its baked in from birth. Kids know it, and adults know it too.

Whenever a white person is racist, they're not just talking with their own voice, but an entire system centered around the immutability of that fact. That's the difference, and why your post is nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8UTj8lQJhY

"Black people can't be racist" is the biggest load of bullshit I have ever heard and that is essentially what you're saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Blowdryer posted:

Of course black people are not taking part in a society-wide effort to paint other races as inferior and that it comes from a different source. I am also clearly not trying to minimize discrimination against black people by being like "SEE THEY DO IT TOO". I am not saying racism from black people is a big issue (e; or even an issue at all), nor am I trying to deflect or detract the significance of racism against them. I understand the difference.

I am simply making the point that an individual black person can indeed be racist towards another person. Saying black people can be racist does not mean black people aren't subjected to how our hosed up society treats and views them.

e; I guess my gripe is that people saying poo poo like that when they mean something else is going to turn people away. But it's definitely not going to turn me away from caring because obviously the protests are valid. So maybe it shouldn't matter because perhaps the only ones who will be turned away are people who don't actually care about the significant things and are dumb enough to be distracted by that or by rioting or by holding away a photographer or whatever else the media is trying to distract people with.

Still, I don't necessarily feel wrong for having that bother me.
Part of it is that the definition of racism gets more slippery when you get outside of lay/dictionary definitions; in more academic discourse, it can also refer to the whole system or social apparatus that works to disadvantage people of color or other racial/ethnic groups. Think of it as an -ism like in "capitalism," not a belief structure like, say, "idealism." The definition is sociological rather than philosophical, and it excludes the possibility of the disadvantaged group acting with any sort of racial privilege over the privileged group outside of very limited circumstances. If a black guy calls a white guy a cracker, the incident isn't an example of racism because it's not contributing to the broad system of racial privilege in our society (and the black guy himself is not a racist for the same reason). We could still call it bigotry though, or maybe hate speech. After all, the SPLC lists plenty of black nationalist groups.

In an academic setting, this can be useful as shorthand to talk about broad social phenomena and the like, but it obviously runs into problems with ordinary usage. Student protests are one of the most likely places for these two arenas to butt heads, where you've got people who know a little theory but don't yet understand the limitations of specialized language (or professors who forgot the camera feed wasn't going to a peer review panel).

I mean, you're completely right. But you're not.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 13, 2015

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

AtraMorS posted:

Part of it is that the definition of racism gets more slippery when you get outside of lay/dictionary definitions; in more academic discourse, it can also refer to the whole system or social apparatus that works to disadvantage people of color or other racial/ethnic groups. Think of it as an -ism like in "capitalism," not a belief structure like, say, "idealism." The definition is sociological rather than philosophical, and it excludes the possibility of the disadvantaged group acting with any sort of racial privilege outside of very limited circumstances. If a black guy calls a white guy a cracker, the incident isn't an example of racism because it's not contributing to the broad system of racial privilege in our society (and the black guy himself is not a racist for the same reason). We could still call it bigotry though, or maybe hate speech. After all, the SPLC lists plenty of black nationalist groups.

In an academic setting, this can be useful as shorthand to talk about broad social phenomena and the like, but it obviously runs into problems with ordinary usage. Student protests are one of the most likely places for these two arenas to butt heads, where you've got people who know a little theory but don't yet understand the limitations of specialized language (or professors who forgot the camera feed wasn't going to a peer review panel).

I mean, you're completely right. But you're not.

Exactly. It's a collision of two different vocabularies, and it comes off to anyone not "with it" as totally preposterous because black people can, manifestly, be racist, in the common sense. So it appears like disingenuous reframing of the discussion for little benefit. After all, is it really any better to be "prejudiced" or "bigoted" than "racist," except that we've successfully turned the word "racist" into one of the biggest Bad Things of all?

Since we're on the subject of messaging.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it is by far the most effective, cheapest, painless, nontoxic, best all around way to end someone's life. which is why it's a nonstarter for vengeance-based punishments administered by a heartless bureaucracy

this. but also apperently thats how that put animals to sleep in some shelters and people think its wrong to kill someone the same way you kill a pet. idk.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Amergin posted:

"Black people can't be racist" is the biggest load of bullshit I have ever heard and that is essentially what you're saying.

Hey look! Another conservative using asian people as a cudgel. Nothing like dragging out a wealthy second generation foreign Chinese student with her head in the clouds as a victim of black savagery.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Peven Stan posted:

Hey look! Another conservative using asian people as a cudgel. Nothing like dragging out a wealthy second generation foreign Chinese student with her head in the clouds as a victim of black savagery.

So you're saying because she's a wealthy person, she can't know oppression?

Now where does that sound familiar...

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Amergin posted:

Why?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Amergin posted:

I think you're arguing institutional racism vs. plain ol racism. It's hard to draw the line because the terminology is so blurred. Basically yes, anyone can be racist, but if you're a member of the majority (race/gender/what-have-you) then you can do a lot more damage to the people you're racist against, if that makes sense?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I think you're arguing institutional racism vs. plain ol racism. It's hard to draw the line because the terminology is so blurred. Basically yes, anyone can be racist, but if you're a member of the majority (race/gender/what-have-you) then you can do a lot more damage to the people you're racist against, if that makes sense?

Yes, that's what I'm arguing.

Actually what I'm arguing is with these SJW people the Asian woman in the video could have said "Black people can be bigots too!" and nobody would give her any respect for it because the movement is run by brats who want to scream and cry.

EDIT: But the point is if you're discussing institutional/systemic racism but using the term "racism" and someone comes into your "safe space" to say their peace and you disrespect them like this, you should include discussions about bigotry in general and try to make your cause more inclusive rather than exclusively whining about how tough black people have it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Amergin posted:

This video has an Asian woman being given a platform, allowed to speak, and acknowledged at the end. That title is incredibly disingenuous, even if it was extremely good at baiting an incredibly racist post courtesy of Peven Stan.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Matt Smith, are you okay :ohdear:

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Amergin posted:

Black people live in a society fundamentally ingrained with the idea that they are an inferior and violent race. Everything in society, conscious or not, operates on the idea that black is worth less than white. This has an appreciable effect even in black communities, as studies have shown. Across all races, people are more likely to perceive a black person as threatening than a white person, in any context. This sort of bias manifests both economically and socially.

When you say that "Black people can be racist, too" you are making a factually correct statement. Black people can be and are racist, especially toward other black people and themselves. There is a serious problem of self hatred within Negro communities, which needs to be fixed before they can pull themselves out of the hole they are in.

But to imply that a black person who voices a resentment towards a white society and the complacent individuals thereof, is at all comparable to a white person who voices his racist sentiments towards black people, a person who is not only complacent in a racist system but is actively working to perpetuate it, is a false equivocation of an extreme magnitude.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Milk Malk posted:

Black people live in a society fundamentally ingrained with the idea that they are an inferior and violent race. Everything in society, conscious or not, operates on the idea that black is worth less than white. This has an appreciable effect even in black communities, as studies have shown. Across all races, people are more likely to perceive a black person as threatening than a white person, in any context. This sort of bias manifests both economically and socially.

When you say that "Black people can be racist, too" you are making a factually correct statement. Black people can be and are racist, especially toward other black people and themselves. There is a serious problem of self hatred within Negro communities, which needs to be fixed before they can pull themselves out of the hole they are in.

But to imply that a black person who voices a resentment towards a white society and the complacent individuals thereof, is at all comparable to a white person who voices his racist sentiments towards black people, a person who is not only complacent in a racist system but is actively working to perpetuate it, is a false equivocation of an extreme magnitude.

This is a really good post and says everything I was trying to say, but way better.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Peven Stan posted:

Hahaha, what the gently caress is this. Mizzou hunger strike protester Jonathan Butler comes from a wealthy family too, how fast are you ready to condemn him and completely right off the Mizzou black protesters too?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Last time I checked poor folk have less speech based on $$$ so next time someone makes that argument make sure your not in the US.

Also welcome back Amerigan.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Hahaha

Time for GOP panic? Establishment worried Carson or Trump might win

quote:

Fehrnstrom pointed out that the fourth debate passed this week without any candidate landing a blow against Trump or Carson. “We’re about to step into the holiday time accelerator,” he said. “You have Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s, then Iowa and a week later, New Hampshire, and it’s going to be over in the blink of an eye.”

According to other Republicans, some in the party establishment are so desperate to change the dynamic that they are talking anew about drafting Romney — despite his insistence that he will not run again. Friends have mapped out a strategy for a late entry to pick up delegates and vie for the nomination in a convention fight, according to the Republicans, who were briefed on the talks, though Romney has shown no indication of reviving his interest.

:mitt: :getin:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Amergin posted:

So you're saying because she's a wealthy person, she can't know oppression?

Now where does that sound familiar...

No, I'm saying a foreign student who's here for just a degree courtesy of being unable to hack the gaokao probably knows gently caress all about the history and context of racism in the united states.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've been overhearing ridiculous republican rhetoric today, did anything actually happen email wise?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

:magical: Oh yes

yes I am here for this

:mitt: Mitt-senpai :love:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Milk Malk posted:

You seem to be ignoring completely the video in the post you quoted.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

If it were anyone else but Costa reporting it, I'd be rolling my eyes, and yet...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mods plz unban all the people who toxx'd for Mitt so they can do it again

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

This just in: minorities and oppressed people can do lovely things too, and it doesn't invalidate the legitimate issues they face or critiques about how society at large treats them.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it is by far the most effective, cheapest, painless, nontoxic, best all around way to end someone's life. which is why it's a nonstarter for vengeance-based punishments administered by a heartless bureaucracy

I think this might have something more to do with it.

"You know who else gassed people?" :godwin:

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Hulk Krogan posted:

This just in: minorities and oppressed people can do lovely things too, and it doesn't invalidate the legitimate issues they face or critiques about how society at large treats them.

BUT! the folks who are trying to convince society to fix those legitimate issues are doing themselves a disservice by doing lovely things and not listening to any critique themselves.

Again, how do you have a successful civil rights movement that is not inclusive?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Amergin posted:

BUT! the folks who are trying to convince society to fix those legitimate issues are doing themselves a disservice by doing lovely things and not listening to any critique themselves.

Again, how do you have a successful civil rights movement that is not inclusive?

I don't dispute any of this, but digging up incidents of black people being lovely to other minorities and using that to dispute the entire idea that anti-black racism is more severe, widespread, and impactful than anti-white racism is obtuse in the extreme.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Did you watch the video, or just read the title?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

More from that article:

quote:

Still, the party establishment’s greatest weapon — big money — is partly on the shelf. Kenneth G. Langone, a founder of Home Depot and a billionaire supporter of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, said he is troubled that many associates in the New York financial community have so far refused to invest in a campaign due to the race’s volatility.

“Some of them are in, but too many are still saying, ‘I’ll wait to see how this all breaks,’” Langone said. “People don’t want to write checks unless they think the candidate has a chance of winning.” He said that his job, as a mega-donor, “is to figure out how we get people on the edge of their chairs so they start to give money.”

Many of Romney’s 2012 National Finance Committee members have sat the race out so far, including Peter A. Wish, a Florida doctor whom several 2016 candidates have courted.

“I’m not a happy camper,” Wish said. “Hopefully somebody will emerge who will be able to do the job,” but, he added, “I’m very worried that the Republican-base voter is more motivated by anger, distrust of D.C. and politicians and will throw away the opportunity to nominate a candidate with proven experience that can win.”

The concern among some party elites goes beyond electability, according to one Republican strategist, who was granted anonymity to speak frankly about the worries.

“We’re potentially careening down this road of nominating somebody who frankly isn’t fit to be president in terms of the basic ability and temperament to do the job,” this strategist said. “It’s not just that it could be somebody Hillary could destroy electorally, but what if Hillary hits a banana peel and this person becomes president?”

Read the whole thing, it's a pro-click.

Basically establishment, big money Republicans are freaking out that Trump and Carson are laughably terrible but could actually win and at the same time are too chickenshit to put their own money on the line to do anything about it.

They're just crossing their fingers and hoping they magically disappear before the primary process really gets going.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Hulk Krogan posted:

I don't dispute any of this, but digging up incidents of black people being lovely to other minorities and using that to dispute the entire idea that anti-black racism is more severe, widespread, and impactful than anti-white racism is obtuse in the extreme.

I'm not saying anti-black racism isn't more severe than anti-white racism.

What I'm saying is "anti-black racism is bad" is not the same as "ALL racism is bad" and to have a successful civil rights movement that doesn't devolve into "us versus them" it's more beneficial to go the Martin Luther King route than the Black Panthers route.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

More from that article:

Basically establishment, big money Republicans are freaking out that Trump and Carson are laughably terrible but could actually win and at the same time are too chickenshit to put their own money on the line to do anything about it.

They're just crossing their fingers and hoping they magically disappear before the primary process really gets going.

I thought Rubio was the new establishment candidate?

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out
I know the thread's moving fast, and probably nobody gives much of a care at this point, but as a Claremont McKenna alum I can testify that Dean Spellman (the woman who stepped down recently) has been really, really unpopular basically since she was hired a couple years ago. She had a deeply adversarial relationship with the student body and nobody non-bureaucrat liked her.

Just to put her getting ousted in context.

It's not like she was a beloved leader and the filthy Negroes turned the students against her; she was, in the opinion of the majority of the student body, an abrasive and incompetent leader.

Whether that opinion of her was fair or not is a different question; prior to her appointment, CMC had some serious problems with drinking, a sometimes alarmingly hostile internal political climate (Charles C. Johnson, once a humble Gov major, now a noted right-wing activist and hatemonger, fit right into the CMC ecosystem), and,

y'know

it was pretty rapey, too.

Spellman wanted to sand down some of CMC's sharper edges, and make it more of a traditional liberal-arts campus, instead of a strange vocational school for professional sophists; she faced serious backlash on all sides.

I'm not surprised to see her go, is what I'm saying.

Anyway.

Not sure if my perspective is helpful, but there it is.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

FilthIncarnate posted:

(Charles C. Johnson, once a humble Gov major, now a noted right-wing activist and hatemonger, fit right into the CMC ecosystem), and,

I always thought the CMC stereotype of being "right wing" was overexaggerated after spending a bunch of time with your politics students during the DML/Pitney Congress simulation, but I also graduated when Charles Johnson was just a freshman so maybe it got significantly worse?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

More from that article:

as in winning the primary or the election? i assume the primary. trumps boasting and poo poo throwing can only get him so far. and carson is just kinda nuts maybe. part of me thinks that the establisment will try to run to cruz as a compromise, but even he is too bugfuck for the general.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

as in winning the primary or the election? i assume the primary. trumps boasting and poo poo throwing can only get him so far. and carson is just kinda nuts maybe. part of me thinks that the establisment will try to run to cruz as a compromise, but even he is too bugfuck for the general.

you didn't read the article and don't know what you're talking about

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The establishment really has no idea how to dislodge Trump right now and time is starting to run short. It hasn't yet dawned on them that the primary voting GOP base doesn't want a serious, electable establishment candidate. They want a giant middle finger covered in offensive bumper stickers, and that's exactly what Trump is.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 13, 2015

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Amergin where did you go? Are you OK?

Sorry it's hard keeping up with 11hr work days.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

DemeaninDemon posted:

He actually hangs out in the football funhouse most of his time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

The establishment really has no idea how to dislodge Trump right now and time is starting to run short. It hasn't yet dawned on them that the primary voting GOP base doesn't want a serious, electable establishment candidate. They want a giant middle finger covered in offensive bumper stickers, and that's exactly what Trump is.

seems to me like they should just give into their base and take the election loss, then blame the nutjobs after said loss and try to purge the party of unusable nutters. the Establishment can then try pretend to be the moderate ones and try to reform the party and cut out the social/tea party right. none of this will happen, but its an idea.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/trump-carson-pathological-215816

seems trump is moving in on carson hard now.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 13, 2015

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

DemeaninDemon posted:

Been busy, thanks for asking though. Hope your ungodly work hours don't last. :(

Edit:

Crain posted:

He actually hangs out in the football funhouse most of his time.

Truth - no time to play in USPol with football/fantasy season going.

Content:

quote:

Retired Florida police officer W. Ken Katsaris is the third expert who has concluded that patrolman Timothy Loehmann was justified in shooting Tamir Rice outside a Cleveland recreation center Nov. 22, 2014.
"This unquestionably was a tragic loss of life," Katsaris wrote. "But to compound the tragedy by labeling the officers' conduct as anything but objectively reasonable would also be a tragedy."

Amergin fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 13, 2015

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

Been busy, thanks for asking though. Hope your ungodly work hours don't last. :(

Content:

It was a 20k raise plus night bonus.

Appreciate the concern. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

DemeaninDemon posted:

It was a 20k raise plus night bonus.

Jesus gently caress! I only make 25k :(.

How does such a raise feel?

• Locked thread