Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Anyone have favorite cold weather gear? I do some Postmates deliveries at night for a few hours on end and it's starting to get quite chilly in the morning hours. I'm probably going to pick up a thermal rainsuit at the very least.

Ideally, I'd be able to use some of the 12v heated glove/jacket liners on a switched connection, but my bike doesn't have an accessories port (2013 Brammo Empulse R, electric bike). I looked at installing one aftermarket, but I don't know my rear end from my elbow re: electronics and apparently the only 12v power tap is a 2-pin molex connector under the tank fairing, which I'd probably have to run to a Centech AP-1, which I have no clue how to do and can't find resources for anyone as generally clueless about that stuff as I am. I saw there's some battery-powered heated gear, but it's apparently not as good as a wired setup, especially for hours on end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Squirrel Burger posted:

Anyone have favorite cold weather gear? I do some Postmates deliveries at night for a few hours on end and it's starting to get quite chilly in the morning hours. I'm probably going to pick up a thermal rainsuit at the very least.

Ideally, I'd be able to use some of the 12v heated glove/jacket liners on a switched connection, but my bike doesn't have an accessories port (2013 Brammo Empulse R, electric bike). I looked at installing one aftermarket, but I don't know my rear end from my elbow re: electronics and apparently the only 12v power tap is a 2-pin molex connector under the tank fairing, which I'd probably have to run to a Centech AP-1, which I have no clue how to do and can't find resources for anyone as generally clueless about that stuff as I am. I saw there's some battery-powered heated gear, but it's apparently not as good as a wired setup, especially for hours on end.
Pretty much all heated gear will come with a wire that goes on your battery terminals and has an inline fuse. The Gerbing stuff is my favorite. The EX and G3 gloves are on sale (aka closeout afaik) right now. Both have dual closures. The EX is a textile that has DWR applied (water repellent - the gloves aren't waterproof by any means but they will shed water for a time) and palm protection. G3 is just a full leather glove. They don't have as much protection as regular gloves but I would highly suggest refraining from glove liners - they are a pain in the rear end to fit under gloves; you will probably need to buy new gloves and it's a bitch finding a pair that fits comfortably with a liner.

Depending on your temperature you could also go with a pair of Held Twins and heated grips.

edit: You will also need a temperature controller if you go with heated gear. You can use a simple on/off switch but it is really distracting because you will constantly be turning it on and off. Heated gear will heat to ~130F if not regulated. Connecting everything can look kind of confusing but it's pretty simple. I can post pictures of how to connect everything if you decide to go that route and need the guidance.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 7, 2015

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo

-Inu- posted:

Pretty much all heated gear will come with a wire that goes on your battery terminals and has an inline fuse. The Gerbing stuff is my favorite. The EX and G3 gloves are on sale (aka closeout afaik) right now. Both have dual closures. The EX is a textile that has DWR applied (water repellent - the gloves aren't waterproof by any means but they will shed water for a time) and palm protection. G3 is just a full leather glove. They don't have as much protection as regular gloves but I would highly suggest refraining from glove liners - they are a pain in the rear end to fit under gloves; you will probably need to buy new gloves and it's a bitch finding a pair that fits comfortably with a liner.

Depending on your temperature you could also go with a pair of Held Twins and heated grips.

edit: You will also need a temperature controller if you go with heated gear. You can use a simple on/off switch but it is really distracting because you will constantly be turning it on and off. Heated gear will heat to ~130F if not regulated. Connecting everything can look kind of confusing but it's pretty simple. I can post pictures of how to connect everything if you decide to go that route and need the guidance.

Oh, I know about the harness they provide with it. My issue is that my bike, being fully electric, doesn't have a standard lead acid battery with available terminals to power the gear - everything is powered by the central battery packs, which you don't want to be tampering with so all the cells stay balanced. They left a single molex patch but I don't have the first clue how to jerry-rig it to power accessories.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Just go battery powered heated gear.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Squirrel Burger posted:

Oh, I know about the harness they provide with it. My issue is that my bike, being fully electric, doesn't have a standard lead acid battery with available terminals to power the gear - everything is powered by the central battery packs, which you don't want to be tampering with so all the cells stay balanced. They left a single molex patch but I don't have the first clue how to jerry-rig it to power accessories.

What bike is it? Just get a molex adapter to SAE or whatever else.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

builds character posted:

Why don't you just call whoever you bought from and talk to them about it?

They have an explicit policy where as soon as you walk out the store with your helmet it can't be returned (understandable, they're worried you may have dropped it and compromised the shell and such). Gloves can't be used either, and I was dumb enough to go try them out for a ride without wearing them around a bit with the tags still on. Lesson learnt!

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Barnsy posted:

They have an explicit policy where as soon as you walk out the store with your helmet it can't be returned (understandable, they're worried you may have dropped it and compromised the shell and such). Gloves can't be used either, and I was dumb enough to go try them out for a ride without wearing them around a bit with the tags still on. Lesson learnt!
Where did you buy your stuff?

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Well I got a substantial bonus at work, and instead of doing something useful with it I took the dive and ponied up for some uglybros motorpool pants. They shipped the same day ordered them, and after a week of traveling across the country (CA-->FL) they finally made it here.

Besides being stylish as hell and a perfect fit, they are super comfortable on and off the bike. The armor goes in and out very easy, and the fabric seems thick/tough enough that it would provide a decent amount of protection in a spill (though probably not as much as my pair of sedici pants). Definitely much more than the jeans I (used to) wear when I didn't feel like looking like a spaceman to go get a coffee or something. It's a pair of pants I actually like so it's probably more effective protection than my sedici pants since I will actually wear them. The only problem is they only pair well with boots really, and since I currently only own some door-kickers it's a bit silly wearing them when i'm not riding.

Worth the 300$ price tag? It's debatable, id probably say they are worth around 200$. I saw them super cheap on a place called aliexpress.com but didn't trust it because they had many sizes in stock that didn't even exist on the actual uglybros website (in addition to terrible reviews).

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Apple2o posted:

I saw them super cheap on a place called aliexpress.com but didn't trust it because they had many sizes in stock that didn't even exist on the actual uglybros website (in addition to terrible reviews).

Pretty sure aliexpress is more or less exclusively chinese knock-off poo poo so don't ever buy from there if you are looking for anything genuine.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

-Inu- posted:

Where did you buy your stuff?

Motorcycle accessory supermarket. Here in Sydney they're basically the same price or even cheaper than online/revzilla.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Barnsy posted:

Motorcycle accessory supermarket. Here in Sydney they're basically the same price or even cheaper than online/revzilla.

They poo poo me especially re: gloves because the one near me at least has them all behind a counter and you have to ask to try on each pair etc...

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

theperminator posted:

They poo poo me especially re: gloves because the one near me at least has them all behind a counter and you have to ask to try on each pair etc...

Yup, makes it a real pain to just try gloves and get a feel. That said, they're in Auburn and I don't blame them. There's a reason that's one of the few areas in Sydney where mobile phone retailers only have fakes... The real things apparently just get nicked no matter what they do.

But dumb nonetheless!

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Does any company make dirt bike goggles with transition lenses?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not AFAIK.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Someone tell me what Dainese 2 piece suit to buy for supermoto.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 12, 2015

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Partial Octopus posted:

Someone tell me what Dainese 2 piece suit to buy for supermoto.
Why do you want a 2 piece over a one piece?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

-Inu- posted:

Why do you want a 2 piece over a one piece?

They don't make a 1 piece suit that would work well for supermoto. A 2 piece would allow more room in the torso and would be better suited to an up-right position. I know there are a few small companies out there that have specific supermoto suits but I get a pretty big discount through my job with Dainese and Alpine Stars.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

1 pieces are a loving pain in the rear end to live with, I vastly prefer my 2 piece suit.

You try to take an urgent piss in a 1pcs, its a worry. A good 2pcs has a full wrap zip anyway.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Partial Octopus posted:

They don't make a 1 piece suit that would work well for supermoto. A 2 piece would allow more room in the torso and would be better suited to an up-right position. I know there are a few small companies out there that have specific supermoto suits but I get a pretty big discount through my job with Dainese and Alpine Stars.
Fair enough. Dai and A/S both used to make sumo suits but it doesn't look like they do anymore. Pants are going to be the same regardless but something like an A/S GP Plus R or a Dai Laguna EVO (no idea what they're replacing it with though). I'll see if I can't find a better answer for you tomorrow though.

edit: What is your build like?

Shimrod posted:

A good 2pcs has a full wrap zip anyway.
The main problem with 2 pieces is that the jacket can catch while you're crashing and cause you to start tumbling. Not as much of an issue at (relatively) slower sumo speeds but it can be a potential problem in high-speed crashes.

It really depends what you're doing though. 2 pieces are fine if you're doing aggressive mountain riding with some sightseeing mixed in - definitely more convenient. I used one for a few years. But if you're someone who does trackdays it winds up costing more since 90% of people graduate to a 1pc after a couple of trackdays. If you know why you want what you want (e.g. have done trackdays and are fine with a 2 piece or don't find a 1pc comfortable on the street) and understand that there is a minor tradeoff, then there's no problem with it.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 13, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
There is no way a proper fitting 2 piece is going to cause you to start tumbling. The biggest concern is the leather riding up, exposing the zipper and fabric, and splitting/ripping. Even that's a minor concern. Fit is far more important than anything else.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I can't even imagine a situation where a 2pcs is going to cause you to go tumbling where a 1pcs won't. My 2pcs has a full circle zip, fits well and is just as snug as my 1pcs when it's zipped up. The zipper part is about 2 inches inside the jacket with thick leather down over it, even more on the rear. I'd be more concerner with my gloves or boots coming off than my 2pcs zipper splitting/ripping or my 2pcs causing me to tumble.

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

I'm looking at getting a new helmet, but don't feel confident buying one without a little input from you guys.

After three years, my first and only helmet - a Caberg Ego - is getting tired: Rain now has a tendency to run down the inside of the visor, and it doesn't feel as snug as I'd like these days.

I'm not sure if I should get another Caberg, but I'm reluctant not to as I feel like I know what to expect from them :v: Having never owned another helmet, I don't even know if this thing is heavy, loud, or what. That being said, I loving love pinlock and the drop-down sun visor this thing has so I'm sold on that.

I'm budgeting ~£150 for a replacement because I only really use my bike (a 125cc Suzuki VanVan) to commute about 10miles each way, and even then only if the weather is moderately okay.

I don't think I'd have another Ego, but I have been looking at Caberg's Vox because it's cheap (only £85), has a good safety rating, and has everything else I've become accustomed to.

I guess this post boils down to:
Are Caberg any good?
Is there something in my price range I'm missing out on if I were to go with the Vox?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Seems like you've thought it out pretty well.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Abiggoat posted:

I'm looking at getting a new helmet, but don't feel confident buying one without a little input from you guys.

After three years, my first and only helmet - a Caberg Ego - is getting tired: Rain now has a tendency to run down the inside of the visor, and it doesn't feel as snug as I'd like these days.

I'm not sure if I should get another Caberg, but I'm reluctant not to as I feel like I know what to expect from them :v: Having never owned another helmet, I don't even know if this thing is heavy, loud, or what. That being said, I loving love pinlock and the drop-down sun visor this thing has so I'm sold on that.

I'm budgeting ~£150 for a replacement because I only really use my bike (a 125cc Suzuki VanVan) to commute about 10miles each way, and even then only if the weather is moderately okay.

I don't think I'd have another Ego, but I have been looking at Caberg's Vox because it's cheap (only £85), has a good safety rating, and has everything else I've become accustomed to.

I guess this post boils down to:
Are Caberg any good?
Is there something in my price range I'm missing out on if I were to go with the Vox?

Caberg are at the cheaper end build-wise but don't skimp on the safety so if it fits you go for it. Bear in mind that even though it's from the same manufacturer it may not be the same fit, so make sure you try one on first.

The only other helmets I'd say that are definitely worth checking out in that price range are Shark - the S range in particular is ridiculously good quality at the price even if it is noisy as gently caress at speed, but I don't think that's going to be a problem for you.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

-Inu- posted:

Fair enough. Dai and A/S both used to make sumo suits but it doesn't look like they do anymore. Pants are going to be the same regardless but something like an A/S GP Plus R or a Dai Laguna EVO (no idea what they're replacing it with though). I'll see if I can't find a better answer for you tomorrow though.

edit: What is your build like?
The main problem with 2 pieces is that the jacket can catch while you're crashing and cause you to start tumbling. Not as much of an issue at (relatively) slower sumo speeds but it can be a potential problem in high-speed crashes.

It really depends what you're doing though. 2 pieces are fine if you're doing aggressive mountain riding with some sightseeing mixed in - definitely more convenient. I used one for a few years. But if you're someone who does trackdays it winds up costing more since 90% of people graduate to a 1pc after a couple of trackdays. If you know why you want what you want (e.g. have done trackdays and are fine with a 2 piece or don't find a 1pc comfortable on the street) and understand that there is a minor tradeoff, then there's no problem with it.

I'm 5'9 and wear a 32/32 in levis. The track I go to allows for 2-pieces as long as they have the full circumference zipper. I'd like a purpose built suit but my Dainese and A Stars discounts are just too good to pass up.

I tried on a motgei suit today but no size really felt good in the up right riding position so I think I'm definitely going to have to go with a 2-piece.

I really like the look of the white Laguna Seca and Avro Dainese 2 pieces but I'm not sure if they come in a perf version. Their website doesn't give much info. There's also 3 different versions of the Laguna and I have no idea what the differences are.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I bought an Arctiva snowmobile jacket on closeout from Parts Unlimited to wear over my perf leather for the cold and wet. Thing is magic.
That is all.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Reminder to wash your helmet padding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjTzR5kaafE

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shimrod posted:

You try to take an urgent piss in a 1pcs, its a worry.
You just gotta learn the wide legged squat.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

You just gotta learn the wide legged squat.

Dainese silicon catheter with heel dump valve. Warms one leg as well.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Ola posted:

Dainese silicon catheter with heel dump valve. Warms one leg as well.

This isn't sounding quite right.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MetaJew posted:

This isn't sounding quite right.

drat. It's when I have to jam sharp shards of highly reactive metal up my peehole I realize that I've been complacent about my English homework.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Supradog posted:

Reminder to wash your helmet padding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjTzR5kaafE

I really hope that is a dirt bike helmet.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Shimrod posted:

1 pieces are a loving pain in the rear end to live with, I vastly prefer my 2 piece suit.

You try to take an urgent piss in a 1pcs, its a worry. A good 2pcs has a full wrap zip anyway.

I've never had a problem with that. Just be careful with the zipper.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

builds character posted:

I really hope that is a dirt bike helmet.

That's what about one year of sweat and general face grime looks like. Also works with your gloves -- give it a shot. (To dry leather without having it lose its shape or get stiff, squeeze out as much water as possible, then wear and work the gloves while they're drying)

Z3n posted:

What bike is it? Just get a molex adapter to SAE or whatever else.

If if he's like most goons, he probably has a bag of random computer parts sitting around somewhere. Pull out a molex something-or-other from there and crimp onto the proper wires.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Does anyone do Black Friday deals? I'm needing some new gloves. Revzilla currently has 10% off closeouts with BFWARMUP but I couldn't find a closeout I liked in my size. I really like the Revit Cayenne gloves in black/sand but fuuuuck spending $180 on gloves.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Partial Octopus posted:

I really like the look of the white Laguna Seca and Avro Dainese 2 pieces but I'm not sure if they come in a perf version. Their website doesn't give much info. There's also 3 different versions of the Laguna and I have no idea what the differences are.

Anything with "estivo" in the name is for Summer, and should be perfed if leather.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Schroeder91 posted:

Does anyone do Black Friday deals? I'm needing some new gloves. Revzilla currently has 10% off closeouts with BFWARMUP but I couldn't find a closeout I liked in my size. I really like the Revit Cayenne gloves in black/sand but fuuuuck spending $180 on gloves.
Yes. Pretty much everyone is going to have Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
My commute has finally been getting unbearably cold and I had to go out and get some of that lovely Bilt Freeze Out under gear to try and stay warm. The jacket and facemask work well enough, but the gloves are utter crap. I had to get three pairs before I had a set without holes at the drat seams and my hands still go numb during my commute. Thanks to the aforementioned Revzilla black Friday sail I'm looking at a couple of different winter gloves and I would love some input before choosing one. I also plan on getting a heated glove liner as well.

Alpine Overland Drystar
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-overland-drystar-gloves
I know it will fit just fine and I actually like hi-viz on my hands because I want drivers to see my fingers.

REV'IT Bastion GTX
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-bastion-gtx-gloves
Big. Has goretex. Looks heavy duty.

REV'IT H2O Out
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-element-2-h20-gloves
Another Rev'it. Waterproof and stuff.

Obviously the Bastion's look like the biggest, warmest, most comfortable glove, but I've never worn Rev'its before and I don't know if the glove itself is any good, much less a fit for my hand. Anyone have any strong opinions about any of these pieces? I'd also appreciate a recommendation for heated glove liners. Or are heated gloves themselves far better than the liners?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I bought some crappy joe rocket heated gloves last season for ~140 bux and they worked well enough down to about 30F. They don't have any armor in them though, they're basically just heated winter gloves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Chichevache posted:

My commute has finally been getting unbearably cold and I had to go out and get some of that lovely Bilt Freeze Out under gear to try and stay warm. The jacket and facemask work well enough, but the gloves are utter crap. I had to get three pairs before I had a set without holes at the drat seams and my hands still go numb during my commute. Thanks to the aforementioned Revzilla black Friday sail I'm looking at a couple of different winter gloves and I would love some input before choosing one. I also plan on getting a heated glove liner as well.

Alpine Overland Drystar
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-overland-drystar-gloves
I know it will fit just fine and I actually like hi-viz on my hands because I want drivers to see my fingers.

REV'IT Bastion GTX
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-bastion-gtx-gloves
Big. Has goretex. Looks heavy duty.

REV'IT H2O Out
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-element-2-h20-gloves
Another Rev'it. Waterproof and stuff.

Obviously the Bastion's look like the biggest, warmest, most comfortable glove, but I've never worn Rev'its before and I don't know if the glove itself is any good, much less a fit for my hand. Anyone have any strong opinions about any of these pieces? I'd also appreciate a recommendation for heated glove liners. Or are heated gloves themselves far better than the liners?
Overlands and Element 2's will be good until the 50's. Bastion's will be good into the 40's comfortably. Below that, your hands are going to get cold if you're riding for more than 20 minutes or so. Don't bother with heated glove liners. They are basically impossible to fit under gloves. You have to buy a linerless glove, often have to size up, and even then it's a huge hassle to get the liners in and out. Heated gloves are best; you sacrifice protection, but you're also sacrificing your safety if your hands are so cold that they are distracting you.

It all depends on how cold you want to go and how long your rides will be.