Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They are pretty nice beaches considering the decades of raw sewage they've all had pumped into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The North Shore beaches are amazing.

They prefer to be called women, mate.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
He means the actual beaches, mate. The women are sandier.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

You can't just make up suburbs simply because you don't want to be part of Belmont or Takapuna.

We can do whatever the gently caress we want. We're old, rich and white.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

WarpedNaba posted:

Milford, but close enough.

The North Shore's elephant graveyard

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

The North Shore's elephant graveyard

I'm sorry your mom is dead, buddy, but I ain't never seen her around Milford.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I lived in Milford like 15 years ago in a place that was apparently built as part of a hippie commune, and the downstairs guy would boil up and sell magic mushrooms for cheap when it was in season. It was pretty good.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Milford is a piece of poo poo suburb populated largely by fossils waiting to die FYI.

I had no idea Milford was a suburb, I thought he meant he lived in Milford Sound.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I loving wish.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Two Finger posted:

To my very great surprise the media may actually be coming down opposed on this one
http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11544425
Comparing key to trump is a pretty big deal by our standards

Don't get too excited about any seachange in NZ media. Toby Manhire is great, but he is pretty far left of the majority. He's done a lot of good satire of JK in recent years~

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Milford is the Tauranga of Auckland.

Also Wisconsin Burger > *

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

fong posted:

Don't get too excited about any seachange in NZ media. Toby Manhire is great, but he is pretty far left of the majority. He's done a lot of good satire of JK in recent years~

No I wasn't exactly reading that as a damming indictment just that I was stunned to see anything at all

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Two Finger posted:

No I wasn't exactly reading that as a damming indictment just that I was stunned to see anything at all

From this morning's Herald.

Audrey Young posted:

Key attack leaves him offside with women
5:00 AM Saturday Nov 14, 2015

When you don't have a written Constitution, as is the case with New Zealand, convention takes on a greater importance.

Conventions evolve with changing circumstances and they rarely change suddenly.

But conventions changed suddenly in Parliament this week in a way that has damaged trust in Prime Minister John Key and the reputation of Speaker David Carter.

The refusal of Key to apologise after accusing the Opposition of supporting murderers and rapists suggests he is willing to squander his reserves of political capital - in particular with women.

The episode has also shown that Labour and the Greens working together are capable of capitalising on National's mistakes - having successfully turned an attack on themselves into an attack on Key.

Key damaged himself this week because we no longer know what to believe.

He said for weeks he was concerned about the plight of Kiwi criminals locked up in Australia awaiting an appeal of their immigration status.

He took a more moderate tone than the Opposition but that was acceptable as long as the Government was actually on the case, keeping up pressure on Australia to expedite matters and to make fair calls on Kiwis who call Australia home.

Justice Minister Amy Adams was dispatched as the hard cop to demand answers from Australian Immigration Minister Peter Dutton.

Then as we know, under pressure from being called gutless, Key attacked Opposition MPs, accusing them of supporting murderers and rapists.

His refusal to apologise is inexplicable. There is no advantage to him not apologising for a slur that was aimed at Labour MPs but was felt by a much wider constituency.

By sticking to his cause, we are left wondering what he truly thinks.

Had his previous concerns been a sham - had he just said what he thought the public wanted him to say?

Was his moderate tone a reflection of a lack of motivation by the Government to do the right thing by its citizens?

It turned out this week that one of the reasons for the delay in getting Kiwis back is the Government's own slowness in getting legislation to the House to legally monitor them when they return.

Certainly his comments undermine faith in the convention that it is a fundamental obligation of government to look out for its citizens in trouble abroad - not by seeking special treatment but by seeking fair treatment.

Watching Key's behaviour over this week has been similar to watching him during the Teapot tapes in 2011, which he still believes was deliberately set up to tape his conversation with John Banks.

He has moments of absolute doggedness.

Speaker David Carter did Key no favours in not requiring or requesting him to apologise for causing offence by suggesting the Opposition supported murderers and rapists.

Carter admonished himself for not pulling up the PM for saying "you back the rapists" but then did nothing about it.

Speakers are almost in the category of the Ronald Hugh Morrieson lament - if not one of those poor buggers that is discovered after they are dead, at least certainly never appreciated when they are around.

Lockwood Smith has reached a saintly status in the Opposition's eyes since his departure as High Commissioner to London. He was rarely appreciated by them in the chair.

Smith tolerated repeated and habitual challenges to his rulings by the Opposition in a way Carter doesn't and Smith spent many hours explaining his rulings.

It appealed to Smith's grandiosity and to the Opposition's need to oppose.

Carter makes his rulings, often without elaboration. He does not indulge the Opposition in the way they were used to. It is much more efficient but it makes for a more fractious relationship.

Carter is somewhere between Margaret Wilson and Smith in terms of requiring ministers to answer questions - Wilson let ministers get away with saying anything and Smith injected himself into the action as both a player and referee.

Carter's way is to award extra questions to Opposition parties if he thinks a minister is not addressing a question.

But on the issue of the PM's insult, Carter failed two days running to seek an apology. That breached a longstanding convention.

Carter chose to elevate another convention, dealing with the matter at the time, over the more fundamental one of apologising for causing offence.

A convention is a convention, not a hard and fast rule. It can be adapted in rare circumstances. Tuesday was a rare circumstance.

And in fact objection was raised more or less at the time by the shadow Leader of the House, Grant Robertson, give or take four minutes when nobody could quite believe what the PM had said.

Labour is running a low-level campaign against Carter and its case just got a whole lot stronger.

Robertson and chief whip Chris Hipkins laid a trap for Carter on Thursday to test his consistency, or as they would call it, his bias.

Robertson presented an insult as a question (to Bill English) rather than a definitive statement.

Carter walked right into it. On Tuesday, when Key had done the same thing to use a question to suggest the Greens supported murderers and rapists, it was acceptable to the Speaker.

On Thursday when Robertson did it, it was deemed by him to be unparliamentary.

The Opposition wars with Carter may not last the whole term. Speculation is growing that he will follow Smith into the diplomatic corp, although it could be Ottawa rather than London.

Gerry Brownlee has been mooted as a possible replacement as Speaker although his lack of patience could make him a bigger problem than Carter.

Anne Tolley is another possibility although one would have thought the implementation of the Rebstock review in Child Youth and Family should take priority.

The most interesting move would be to make Labour's Trevor Mallard Speaker. It would not affect votes in the House and he would bend over backwards to be neutral.

It could turn question time into a more civilised contest.

It hasn't been done since 1993 but some conventions are worth breaching.

Of course, their chief John Key hagiographer, who also happens to be a piece of poo poo, has written some garbage trying to defend Key but gently caress that guy.

Also, this:

And Sharon Murdoch's from The Press

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 13, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol @ the flag in the background.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Vaga-holyshittheiosappisapieceofcrapandcrasheseverytimeitryandquote posted:

Of course, their chief John Key hagiographer, who also happens to be a piece of poo poo, has written some garbage trying to defend Key but gently caress that guy.

This is part of the problem with political discussion, by the way. John isn't a piece of poo poo. Dude put up with me sleeping on his couch for 2 months when I was younger. He says some things in his columns that are the polar opposite of what I believe, but that doesn't mean that people should make with the personal attacks.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
The only burgers worth getting excited over are Fergburgers

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

This is part of the problem with political discussion, by the way. John isn't a piece of poo poo. Dude put up with me sleeping on his couch for 2 months when I was younger. He says some things in his columns that are the polar opposite of what I believe, but that doesn't mean that people should make with the personal attacks.

Can't say I think too much of a person who writes a column arguing against the gays adopting the kids. I don't care whom he votes for, but when he start publishing columns arguing to condemn a a part of our society to a status of second-class citizens, then I'm going to loving take issue with that.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 13, 2015

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
I would have thought Big J's would have been mentioned by now. Good value, huge, delicious, and made with love. Only down side is the hour long wait time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Noxin of Shame posted:

I would have thought Big J's would have been mentioned by now. Good value, huge, delicious, and made with love. Only down side is the hour long wait time.

Had a mate who worked there very briefly.

doesn't mean that people should make with the personal attacks.

Just the impersonal ones against queers I guess.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

Can't say I think too much of a person who writes a column arguing against the gays adopting the kids. I don't care whom he votes for, but when he start publishing columns arguing to condemn a a part of our society to a status of second-class citizens, then I'm going to loving take issue with that.

Actually, I've thought about this further now that I'm not so hung-over and grumpy and I openly say all the time that I will happily run over Leighton Smith and Paul Henry if I ever see either of them walking down the street, so please ignore my previous whinging.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Are we still doing burgerchat? Cause I had a Karmageddon burger at Grill Meats Beer last night and it was loving good.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ledge posted:

Are we still doing burgerchat? Cause I had a Karmageddon burger at Grill Meats Beer last night and it was loving good.

Burgerchat is eternal.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Grind all the ministers into burgers and feed them to poor people.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Grind all the ministers into burgers and feed them to poor people.

the best kind of murderburger

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

After BARONS CYBER SKULL's whining about it, I had a Peanut Piston just now. It was awesome and Baron is wrong.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Vagabundo posted:

After BARONS CYBER SKULL's whining about it, I had a Peanut Piston just now. It was awesome and Baron is wrong.

I whined about getting something I didn't want

(It's also a poo poo burger)

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Burgerfuel burgers always seem cold to me. like even if I eat it straight away, it's maybe slightly warm at best

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Peanut satay burgers are really good I like burger wisconsins one

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

Burgerfuel burgers always seem cold to me. like even if I eat it straight away, it's maybe slightly warm at best

Burgerfuel is another of the "depends entirely on the proprietor" deals. Some are great, some ain't. I will reiterate the Burger Wisconsin love I have, as that poo poo is always on point.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Burger Fuel in Ponsonby is open at 3am on a Saturday when you ditch your messy friends at a bar.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Burgerfuel is another of the "depends entirely on the proprietor" deals. Some are great, some ain't. I will reiterate the Burger Wisconsin love I have, as that poo poo is always on point.

I have found Burger Wisconsin here in Christchurch has gone downhill massively over the last year. Whether it is loving up the price re combos or just leaving stuff out of orders. Plus their new menu sucks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup. Lincoln road is amazing, westgate is a piece of poo poo. It really is entirely dependant on the franchisee.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

As much of a shithole as palmy is one small redeeming feature it has is Cook St takeaways who do 2 legit as chicken burgers for $5

imo anyway

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 15, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rotorua has got Springfield Takeaways, which does a pretty legit fish and chips. But then, I may be biased because one of my kids works there.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Greymouth has no redeeming features especially in terms of takeout food.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Burger Fuel in Ponsonby is open at 3am on a Saturday when you ditch your messy friends at a bar.

did it cost 4 times the normal amount?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I was honestly pretty trashed, so whatever it cost it was worth it.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

no burger

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I whined about getting something I didn't want

(It's also a poo poo burger)

You should be glad you got something that's probably better than what you wanted. Also, it's a great burger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Vagabundo posted:

You should be glad you got something that's probably better than what you wanted. Also, it's a great burger.

Excuse me the 1/3rd pounder with no pickles is a saintly burger and I will hear nothing against it.

• Locked thread