Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rhesus Pieces posted:

More from that article:

Read the whole thing, it's a pro-click.

Basically establishment, big money Republicans are freaking out that Trump and Carson are laughably terrible but could actually win and at the same time are too chickenshit to put their own money on the line to do anything about it.

They're just crossing their fingers and hoping they magically disappear before the primary process really gets going.

This line is really key:

quote:

“We’re potentially careening down this road of nominating somebody who frankly isn’t fit to be president in terms of the basic ability and temperament to do the job,” this strategist said. “It’s not just that it could be somebody Hillary could destroy electorally, but what if Hillary hits a banana peel and this person becomes president?”

Trump and Carson are so bad that a Republican strategist isn't just worried they'd lose to Hillary if nominated. He's worried that one of them would win. They're so insane a Republican strategist is indirectly saying they're worse than Hillary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rhesus Pieces posted:

The establishment really has no idea how to dislodge Trump right now and time is starting to run short. It hasn't yet dawned on them that the primary voting GOP base doesn't want a serious, electable establishment candidate. They want a giant middle finger covered in offensive bumper stickers, and that's exactly what Trump is.

it turns out when you base your political power on feeding insanity to crazy people, it's hard to convince them to suddenly act sane :v:

Republicans are suddenly realizing the downside of getting into bed with the crazies: they thought they were in control but the crazies finally managed to take over.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The funniest part of that article is that this is the year the entire Republican bench is running for President and it's not good enough so they're panicking and begging Mitt to run again.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Crain posted:

Jesus gently caress! I only make 25k :(.

How does such a raise feel?

Speaking from experience in going from a $35k to a $55k job, it feels like you just never run out of money and for a while you end up accruing a few grand in savings without even trying, then you get your head around the kind of lifestyle that salary can support and grow into it and then you start saying no to yourself occasionally, but it's for stuff you would never have even considered with your previous job, like a $200 pen.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Joementum posted:

The funniest part of that article is that this is the year the entire Republican bench is running for President and it's not good enough so they're panicking and begging Mitt to run again.

Last year: Anybody but Mitt.

This year: Everybody but Mitt.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Joementum posted:

I think that's also part of the problem, at least according to that article: because there's a bunch of wannabe establishment candidates, each of them wants someone else to take down Trump/Carson and suffer the potential blowback, but none have managed to get strong enough that it's worth it for them to do it.

Rubio was looking like he might...so Cruz has started blasting him on immigration and Jeb! is planning on attacking him from the center so he'll now be too busy fighting off the other wannabe NotTrumps :sun:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

seems to me like they should just give into their base and take the election loss, then blame the nutjobs after said loss and try to purge the party of unusable nutters. the Establishment can then try pretend to be the moderate ones and try to reform the party and cut out the social/tea party right. none of this will happen, but its an idea.

They tried to do this after 2012 but gave up after about a month of navel gazing.

Instead they let the party go full speed in the other direction and now we have Trump, solidly in first place, accusing Benzo Carson of having an incurable pathological temper and comparing him to a child molester.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

evilweasel posted:

This line is really key:

Trump and Carson are so bad that a Republican strategist isn't just worried they'd lose to Hillary if nominated. He's worried that one of them would win. They're so insane a Republican strategist is indirectly saying they're worse than Hillary.

Wow, so they really are scared. so i guess, who are they more scared for, their party or their country.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I think that's also part of the problem, at least according to that article: because there's a bunch of wannabe establishment candidates, each of them wants someone else to take down Trump/Carson and suffer the potential blowback, but none have managed to get strong enough that it's worth it for them to do it.

Rubio was looking like he might...so Cruz has started blasting him on immigration and Jeb! is planning on attacking him from the center so he'll now be too busy fighting off the other wannabe NotTrumps :sun:

Scott Walker's failed plea for lovely candidates to "clear the field" is going to end up being the smartest and most prescient thing he's ever said.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Internet Webguy posted:

Last year: Anybody but Mitt.

This year: Everybody but Mitt.

I'm trying to imagine the sick burns Trump would come up with for Mitt, but there's no way he could do any better than "please proceed, Governor" or "we also have less horses and bayonets".

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

Speaking from experience in going from a $35k to a $55k job, it feels like you just never run out of money and for a while you end up accruing a few grand in savings without even trying, then you get your head around the kind of lifestyle that salary can support and grow into it and then you start saying no to yourself occasionally, but it's for stuff you would never have even considered with your previous job, like a $200 pen.

I had a similar raise increase about 2 months ago. Going from living paycheck to paycheck to literally managing almost your entire monthly budget with the first check is unreal. I'm paying off cards and throwing the rest into savings. Like I wasn't living uncomfortably before (just had like no safety net if anything bad happened). Being able to buy a dumb game every now and then or filling up your fridge with good food is great. I also bought my cat a bunch of dumb toys before I bought myself anything because I'm dumb.

That said, I'm budgeting the gently caress out of everything. You Need a Budget is amazing for this.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
USPOL Nov: "How stupid are the people of Iowa?"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I mean I'm certain every candidate has asked that question, but let's marvel at the fact an actual candidate finally loving said it in public

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

I mean I'm certain every candidate has asked that question, but let's marvel at the fact an actual candidate finally loving said it in public

Is this that Trump tweet from a few weeks ago that he walked back or something else?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If Mitt Romney tried to run he'd be instantly devoured in a week and he knows that.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

Mitt's a better candidate than any of them.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Is this that Trump tweet from a few weeks ago that he walked back or something else?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-ben-carson-stories-stupid-people-iowa/story?id=35168986

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's from his 95 minute long insane rant tonight

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/11/12/donald-trump-delivers-95-minute-rant-on-everything-thats-wrong-in-this-race/

quote:

He said he would "bomb the s---" out of areas controlled by the Islamic State that are rich with oil and claimed to know more about the terrorist group than U.S. military generals. He ranted about how everyone else is wrong on illegal immigration and how even the "geniuses at Harvard" have now backed his way of thinking. He accused Hillary Rodham Clinton of playing the "woman's card," and said Marco Rubio is "weak like a baby." He signed a book for an audience member and then threw it off the stage. He forgot to take questions like he promised. And he spent more than 10 minutes angrily attacking his chief rival, Ben Carson, at one point calling him "pathological, damaged."

[...]

Trump said he doesn't believe Carson is telling the truth and questioned how a belt buckle could stop a blade. He stepped away from the podium and acted out how he imagined such an attack would happen, with his own belt buckle flopping around. He asked if anyone in the audience had a knife to try out his theory. His Secret Service agents, who just joined his detail this week, stood guard.

[...]

"How stupid are the people of Iowa?" Trump said. "How stupid are the people of the country to believe this crap?"

[...]

"I've really enjoyed being with you," Trump said as he drew to a sudden but long awaited end. "It's sad in many ways because we're talking about so many negative topics, but in certain ways it's beautiful. It's beautiful.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hollismason posted:

If Mitt Romney tried to run he'd be instantly devoured in a week and he knows that.

Yes, but imagine how loving hilarious Trump ripping into him would be

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Just run one of the Koch Brothers directly already

I mean, that's the endgame here

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

JT Jag posted:

Just run one of the Koch Brothers directly already

I mean, that's the endgame here

Tried that already.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Joementum posted:

One of the big problems with establishing single payer in Vermont, which will also be a problem in Colorado is that states can't actually create a single payer system because large portions of the population are covered by the federal government under Medicare and Medicaid (along with a smaller portion on military benefits), which significantly decreases the size of the pool.

Shouldn't that make it easier to implement single-payer from a cost control standpoint? If the federal government is covering old people and wounded vets then the healthiest cohorts only have to pay for themselves. I think the biggest obstacle for single-payer at a state level is the absence of fiscal and monetary tools necessary to weather economic downturns while continuing to fund the healthcare system. If the federal government needs to pay for something during an economic crash it can print money and/or borrow as much as it needs. States don't have that kind of flexibility.

e: I forgot to refresh

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

seiferguy posted:

Some people consider racism to be "prejudice plus power" in that if a black guy treats a white guy badly, it's prejudice because in terms of race, whites have always been socially ahead. I think it's a good way to separate the two trains of thought.

No, this project to erase any distinction between 'racism' as 'institutional racism' is disingenuous and dumb. Saying everybody is capable of horrific racism regardless of their own race does not commit a person to denying that it is far more incumbent on those with structural privilege to moderate their own thoughts and behaviour for racism. "Black people can be racist too" is not equivalent to "racism by black people is just as harmful as racism by white people."

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Crain posted:

Jesus gently caress! I only make 25k :(.

How does such a raise feel?

Now consider that $25k is roughly the hourly equivalent of a person who earns $50M/year, or about 4 times what Mitt earns every year from his portfolio of investments and businesses. That's right, if Mitt were paid on an hourly basis, he'd earn in slightly less than four hours what you earn all year. Think about that, and how detached from any of us that makes him, and anybody in his economic class.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Third party, doesn't count

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Typical Pubbie posted:

Shouldn't that make it easier to implement single-payer from a cost control standpoint? If the federal government is covering old people and wounded vets then the healthiest cohorts only have to pay for themselves. I think the biggest obstacle for single-payer at a state level is the absence of fiscal and monetary tools necessary to weather economic downturns while continuing to fund the healthcare system. If the federal government needs to pay for something during an economic crash it can print money and/or borrow as much as it needs. States don't have that kind of flexibility.

e: I forgot to refresh

No, because the cost savings come from economies of scale.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Feather posted:

Now consider that $25k is roughly the hourly equivalent of a person who earns $50M/year, or about 4 times what Mitt earns every year from his portfolio of investments and businesses. That's right, if Mitt were paid on an hourly basis, he'd earn in slightly less than four hours what you earn all year. Think about that, and how detached from any of us that makes him, and anybody in his economic class.

To put it even more succinctly, your yearly income is basically a rounding error to him.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

itshappening.gif

Finally. Now we just gotta see the size of the crater this shithead makes.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Smudgie Buggler posted:

No, this project to erase any distinction between 'racism' as 'institutional racism' is disingenuous and dumb. Saying everybody is capable of horrific racism regardless of their own race does not commit a person to denying that it is far more incumbent on those with structural privilege to moderate their own thoughts and behaviour for racism. "Black people can be racist too" is not equivalent to "racism by black people is just as harmful as racism by white people."

In my experience the distinction between personal bigotry and institutional discrimination, and the way the two have an additive effect, isn't really hard to explain or for people to understand. The problem is that it seldom comes up when someone isn't trying to defend a bigot as cool and good, accuse one of damage they weren't capable of, or more broadly use it as a proxy battle for custody of the well-established and rhetorically powerful "-ism" words their argument needs to control.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

No, because the cost savings come from economies of scale.

How does economy of scale work to your advantage if all you're adding are sick people? The savings in administration can't be that much. I just don't see how the federal government saying "it's cool, we'll keep paying for your sickest people" is somehow an obstacle to socialized (read: not single-payer) medicine.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes vets might not like all that crazy right-wing poo poo and don't agree with it, just saying. A lot of active duty people are basically in a workplace that actively tolerates the same talk radio bullshit.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rhesus Pieces posted:

To put it even more succinctly, your yearly income is basically a rounding error to him.

Or "makes your yearly salary by the time he finishes lunch"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fix posted:

itshappening.gif

Don't count him out yet, heretic scum.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fix posted:

itshappening.gif

It's not like any of his other batshit rants have stopped him.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

Or "makes your yearly salary by the time he finishes lunch"

Wonder how much he made from investments giving his Benghazi speech.

My plan is to stay the same budget and put the extra into savings for a house down payment. Living expenses are dirt cheap here in exchange for living near poo poo gently caress GOP rear end gobblers.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

if you thought this primary was insane now, wait till the end when Trump pulls everyone else down along with himself into the burning final implosion

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Killer robot posted:

In my experience the distinction between personal bigotry and institutional discrimination, and the way the two have an additive effect, isn't really hard to explain or for people to understand. The problem is that it seldom comes up when someone isn't trying to defend a bigot as cool and good, accuse one of damage they weren't capable of, or more broadly use it as a proxy battle for custody of the well-established and rhetorically powerful "-ism" words their argument needs to control.

It's actually pretty impressive how we, as a society, have managed to invest the word "racism" with apparently magical power, sort of like saying "Pazuzu" three times. Kind of heartening, actually-- it reflects an extreme societal disapproval that, while limited to the more obvious expressions of the phenomenon, is a good thing to have around. It's not surprising that people get in slapfights over who gets to wield that magic power.

everyone gets to use it, dehumanize yourself and face to racism

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
e: fb

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 13, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fried Chicken posted:

Yes, but imagine how loving hilarious Trump ripping into him would be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

God bless the guy eating something off to the left

• Locked thread