Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Glass of Milk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OSC-rXed-I

Dick Enberg needs money. I like that stadium design, though. Too bad it will never happen.

Looks dope. They should build that poo poo. This video made me want to live in San Diego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Reject deans proposal roger. Build the stadium

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Glass of Milk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OSC-rXed-I

Dick Enberg needs money. I like that stadium design, though. Too bad it will never happen.

I love the last 20 seconds or so might as well just say "DON'T MOVE US TO LA"

It's funny that this whole shitshow of a situation would be cured by everyone doing what they actually want to do. Let the Chargers stay in SD with a new stadium, let the Raiders stay in Oakland with a new stadium, move the Rams to LA.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Best ending, no one moves to LA, LA continues to suck

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Best ending, no one moves to LA, LA continues to suck

agreed

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Best ending, no one moves to LA, LA falls into a fiery vortex and is destroyed forever.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
LA is a good city.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It's funny that this whole shitshow of a situation would be cured by everyone doing what they actually want to do.

the Raiders stay in Oakland with a new stadium

This isn't what Oakland actually wants to do though

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Bip Roberts posted:

LA is a good city.

The thread title disagrees, thus your hypothesis is scientifically disproven!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Summary so far of the town hall meeting in San Diego:

Mark Fabiani, representative for the Chargers, loudly booed when speaking, often vilified by speakers
Boltman showed up out of costume, went on weird anti-trust tangent, lost the crowd.
One guy says city should spend money on other things, promptly booed.
"Chargers are leaving the prettiest girlfriend (SD) for an unknown girl with "all kinds of STD's." (LA)"

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
gently caress Mark Fabiani

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

That's actually a really good description of LA. I'd only add that the STDs are totally worth it.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

They are not worth it, imho

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Dr Tran posted:

Summary so far of the town hall meeting in San Diego:

Mark Fabiani, representative for the Chargers, loudly booed when speaking, often vilified by speakers
Boltman showed up out of costume, went on weird anti-trust tangent, lost the crowd.
One guy says city should spend money on other things, promptly booed.
"Chargers are leaving the prettiest girlfriend (SD) for an unknown girl with "all kinds of STD's." (LA)"

A person earnestly described LA as "Smell-A" to the NFL executives and received a high five for it.

This stupid city.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

where ever they build new stadiums, they need to hire whoever designed the stadiums in All Pro Football 2k8, those crazy-rear end themed stadiums were the bomb

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

This isn't what Oakland actually wants to do though

Oakland would be happy to have a new Raiders stadium. They're just not going to pay for it. If the owners and/or NFL fully funded a stadium project, I'm sure Oakland would be happy to keep the Raiders.

To be honest this is the attitude that every city should have.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Is San Francisco unique in that another team's stadium is closer to the city than their own stadium?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

Oakland would be happy to have a new Raiders stadium. They're just not going to pay for it. If the owners and/or NFL fully funded a stadium project, I'm sure Oakland would be happy to keep the Raiders.

To be honest this is the attitude that every city should have.

Sure, but they won't, and all it takes is one city to break rank and offer incentive. Then it becomes a competition to host a team. It's one of those things where ideally it wouldn't be like this, but this is how it will be as long as we're all alive. As it stands, Oakland is not even close to the top 32 cities when it comes to their willingness to host an NFL team.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Sure, but they won't, and all it takes is one city to break rank and offer incentive. Then it becomes a competition to host a team. It's one of those things where ideally it wouldn't be like this, but this is how it will be as long as we're all alive. As it stands, Oakland is not even close to the top 32 cities when it comes to their willingness to host an NFL team.

It would be cool if Oakland, San Diego, and St. Louis would put their feet down and not give in to what the teams want, and Oakland and San Diego are doing that. St. Louis is loving everything up.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I wonder if the NFL really cares all that much about fan attendance at games. I mean it's nice if the stadium sells out, but as long as those luxury boxes are filled and the owners keep getting sweet cheap/free stadiums that increase their team's value, are they worried about not having the upper deck filled? I think it was mentioned that the Chargers' value would double with a new stadium- what's a couple million dollars in ticket revenue versus $1.5 billion?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

I wonder if the NFL really cares all that much about fan attendance at games. I mean it's nice if the stadium sells out, but as long as those luxury boxes are filled and the owners keep getting sweet cheap/free stadiums that increase their team's value, are they worried about not having the upper deck filled? I think it was mentioned that the Chargers' value would double with a new stadium- what's a couple million dollars in ticket revenue versus $1.5 billion?

Will the Chargers value really double when they're the clear #2 team and a Tennant in Kroenke's stadium?

Real question.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Empty stands look really really bad on TV. And, I think ticket sales correlate pretty well to the team's current popularity, which obviously affects television viewership. Lastly, fans who are big enough fans to want to buy tickets tend to also be the ones who buy the most merch.

So I think it's probably all interrelated and having a big new stadium filled with fans is an important component of the business of football entertainment.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Is San Francisco unique in that another team's stadium is closer to the city than their own stadium?

Yes, but that's usually because rather than build two places that close, teams just share. See NYG/NYJ. Heck even the Clippers and Lakers share Staples. Also, Even though distance-wise it is closer, it's probably similar travel time since you dont have to use the bay bridge which is always a nightmare. Although 101 is pretty awful too. Basically, don't drive in the bay area.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ross Angeles posted:

It would be cool if Oakland, San Diego, and St. Louis would put their feet down and not give in to what the teams want, and Oakland and San Diego are doing that. St. Louis is loving everything up.

Really it's LA loving that up. And of course St Louis, San Antonio, and some other cities would be happy to gently caress things up as well.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Ross Angeles posted:

Will the Chargers value really double when they're the clear #2 team and a Tennant in Kroenke's stadium?

Real question.

Probably immediately after it happens, and then the value will drop once it's apparent nobody in LA really wants them there.

I get what you're saying, though, and I'm certain that's why the Chargers are continuing the façade of Carson. Why rent when you can own?

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Ross Angeles posted:

The people behind building the new stadium in St. Louis aren't giving in to what the team wants. Stan Kroenke wants to move to make more money, not because the stadium's bad. Sure the terms of the lease were broken leading to this, but the lease would only be good for 10 more years anyway. They are just showing the NFL they're willing to do whatever to keep the team there (which is fine to me because the EJD sucks a lot and the new stadium is outdoor and looks cool.)

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Somehow all of this is going to result in the Raiders moving to San Diego and I will not be happy.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Glass of Milk posted:

Somehow all of this is going to result in the Raiders moving to San Diego and I will not be happy.

That would be a worse outcome than even san antonio

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

the Raiders in San Diego would be really weird and awkward.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

zen death robot posted:

They're going to end up in LA along with the Chargers

I like this idea because I'll get to see a lot of Broncos games without having to travel!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

zen death robot posted:

They're going to end up in LA along with the Chargers

Almost assuredly not

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Ross Angeles posted:

Almost assuredly not

Ideal world: Rams in LA, Chargers in SD, the Raiders roam the land as hobos bumming stadiums for a week at a time

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The absolutely worst outcome is that the Raiders end up in St. Louis

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Carson is a myth and isn't happening. Inglewood is gonna get greenlighted.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

zen death robot posted:

Inglewood is running into issues with its proximity to LAX and the fact that STL pretty much has thier stadium plan wrapped up

Yeah and Carson will run into problems when AEG files massive lawsuits and delays any kind of construction for years. And lol if you think Kroenke isn't gonna move the Rams if he wants to, regardless of what St. Louis does. He's already got Jerry Jones backing him.

It's funny because Spanos believes he has the votes to block Kroenke from moving, and Kroenke believes he's got the votes to block Spanos.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

zen death robot posted:

Inglewood is running into issues with its proximity to LAX and the fact that STL pretty much has thier stadium plan wrapped up

How can a stadium be a problem there when Hollywood Park and The Forum exist.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Inglewood is happening, it's just a matter of who goes there.

I want the NFL to delay one more year just to chagrin the Chargers org at this point.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

Inglewood is happening, it's just a matter of who goes there.

I want the NFL to delay one more year just to chagrin the Chargers org at this point.

This seems to be what Woody Johnson thinks is going to happen

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

old dog child posted:

Ideal world: Rams in LA, Chargers in SD, the Raiders roam the land as hobos bumming stadiums for a week at a time

Not entirely implausible
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling_team

Please bring this back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
From that article: "The height is eight feet shorter than a planned stadium on the same site that received a "no hazard" determination from the FAA in 1995." Add some radar-absorption and there's no issue.

• Locked thread