Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I don't care for metal and being a server in this place must be excruciating, but someone had a lot of fun writing that menu and that I will salute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I love this.

Wanamingo posted:

It's pasta with vodka sauce

Vodka sauce owns but i looks like baby puke with blood in it

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

cash crab posted:

Vodka sauce owns but i looks like baby puke with blood in it

Even at its best it does sorta have that feel to it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Fo3 posted:

Tacos tonight kids

This is a loving travesty.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

what a wonderfully BRUTAL menu, the Chips and Salsa entry made me laugh

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chard posted:

I don't care for metal and being a server in this place must be excruciating, but someone had a lot of fun writing that menu and that I will salute.

Sadly, I did some Googling and it appears to be a fake. Which honestly disappointed me.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
The one problem with vodka sauce is that the the vodka is used for the sauce and not to get me sauced.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Wanamingo posted:

Even at its best it does sorta have that feel to it.

I hate how pink it is, but I'm obsessed with it. My landlord owns a convenience store and admitted she started buying it because she doesn't know what pasta sauce to buy and just sort of geared it towards what I was buying. :) The other day I made a very ugly gnocchi in vodka sauce with spicy sausage and mushrooms.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

bunnyofdoom posted:

The one problem with vodka sauce is that the the vodka is used for the sauce and not to get me sauced.

Hey, it can do both. In fact, I'm almost positive that's what lead to those pictures of it being taken.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Chard posted:

There is a sandwich shop chain called Cheba Hut that is weed themed. I was super happy when they finally decided to put all the real names of things next to them on the menu because I was so loving tired of walking in there and being all "Yeah I'll take the Chronic Blunt with everything on it and extra sprouts."

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm certain you'll be feeling sauced if you chug the entire jar.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

hackbunny posted:

what, no

nope

no no no

not carbonara

nice try but not carbonara

not carbonara, either

definitely not carbonara

holy poo poo not carbonara

some kind of noodle soup? not carbonara

wrong

the wrongest

even wronger

stop

gently caress NO

Also pancetta is permissible in addition to guanciale. But no cream vaffanculo

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Personally I always make carbonara the true original way, with powdered egg and canned military ration meat products.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DekeThornton posted:

Personally I always make carbonara the true original way, with powdered egg and canned military ration meat products.

Now I want to see an actual MRE Carbonara.

Uhn
Oct 6, 2011

here comes george
in control

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Mixing up Chef Boyardee raviolis and alphabet soup with scotch and soda seems like an interesting way to ruin a toilet.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I would just like to point out that people sperg up all kinds of rules about pasta dishes like they have existed for centuries and to deviate is blasphemy, but in reality most pasta dishes you know today are only a few decades old.

quote:

Pasta alla Carbonara was included in Elizabeth David's Italian Food, an English-language cookbook published in Great Britain in 1954. However, the dish is not present in Ada Boni's 1930 classic La Cucina Romana and is unrecorded before the Second World War. In 1950 it was described in the Italian newspaper "La Stampa" as a dish sought by the American officers after the allied liberation of Rome in 1944. It was first described after the war as a Roman dish, when many Italians were eating eggs and bacon supplied by troops from the United States.

Food invented by hungry people during wartime shouldn't have rules. I'm sure the people with access to cream added cream. I'm sure there were people who didn't have the bacon or the pepper. Whatever, who gives a poo poo.

Someone corrected me about the way I make pasta puttanesca once because I wasn't using the correct color of olives. Wtf

quote:

In a 2005 article from Il Golfo—a daily newspaper serving the Italian islands of Ischia and Procida—Annarita Cuomo asserted that sugo alla puttanesca was invented in the 1950s by Sandro Petti, co-owner of Rancio Fellone, a famous Ischian restaurant and nightspot. According to Cuomo, Petti's moment of inspiration came when—near closing one evening—Petti found a group of customers sitting at one of his tables. He was low on ingredients and so told them he didn't have enough to make them a meal. They complained that it was late and they were hungry. "Facci una puttanata qualsiasi," or "Make any kind of garbage," they insisted. As Petti had nothing more than four tomatoes, two olives and some capers—the basic ingredients for the sugo, “So I used them to make the sauce for the spaghetti,” Petti told Cuomo. Later, Petti included this dish on his menu as spaghetti alla puttanesca.

The dish is literally garbage made of leftover scraps, how can someone possibly enshrine rules around it?

Food rules are food idolatry, just let people cook whatever sort of poo poo the want and let them call it what they want. Judge them on the fact that their cooking is hideous and tastes awful, not on the fact that it doesn't meet the imagined and arbitrary technical criteria to have a certain title.

twoday has a new favorite as of 10:37 on Nov 13, 2015

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
I made carbonara last weekend it was the first time and was great. I used 350g spaghetti, 50g butter, ground pepper, 3 eggs, 200g of pecorino, 100g of prosciutto, 100g of diced mushrooms.

No rules :colbert:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I made an Alfredo last night with peas and smoked salmon. What now, pasta Mussolinii?!

twoday
May 4, 2005

This thread needs some more history about people eating garbage:

quote:

Charles Domery (c. 1778 – after 1800), later also known as Charles Domerz, was a Polish soldier serving in the Prussian and French armies, noted for his unusually large appetite. Serving in the Prussian Army against France during the War of the First Coalition, he found that the rations of the Prussians were insufficient and deserted to the French Army in return for food. Although generally healthy, he was voraciously hungry during his time in the French service, and ate any available food. While stationed near Paris, he was recorded as having eaten 174 cats in a year, and although he disliked vegetables, he would eat 4 to 5 pounds (1.8 to 2.3 kg) of grass each day if he could not find other food. During service on the French ship Hoche, he attempted to eat the severed leg of a crew member hit by cannon fire, before other members of the crew wrestled it from him and threw it into the sea.

In February 1799, the Hoche was captured by British forces and the crew, including Domery, were interned in Liverpool. Domery shocked his captors with his voracious appetite, and despite being put on ten times the rations of other inmates remained ravenous, eating the prison cat, at least 20 rats which had come into his cell, and regularly eating the prison candles. Domery's case was brought to the attention of The Commissioners for taking Care of Sick and Wounded Seamen and for the Care and Treatment of Prisoners of War, who performed an experiment to test his eating capacity. Over the course of a day, Domery was fed a total of 16 pounds (7.3 kg) of raw cow's udder, raw beef and tallow candles and four bottles of porter, all of which he ate and drank without defecating, urinating, or vomiting at any point.

"In one year [Domery] devoured 174 cats (not their skins) dead or alive; and says, he had several severe conflicts of interest in the act of destroying them, by feeling the effects of their torments on his face and hands: sometimes he killed them before eating, but when very hungry, did not wait to perform this humane office."
- Testimony of M. Picard, who served with Domery throughout his service in the French Army and was interned with him in Liverpool

Amazingly enough there was not just one guy like this, but two! At the same time! In nearly the same place!

quote:

Tarrare (c. 1772 – 1798), sometimes spelled Tarare, was a French showman and soldier, noted for his unusual eating habits. Able to eat vast amounts of meat, he was constantly hungry; his parents could not provide for him, and he was turned out of the family home as a teenager. He travelled France in the company of a band of thieves and prostitutes, before becoming the warm-up act to a travelling charlatan; he would swallow corks, stones, live animals and a whole basketful of apples. He then took this act to Paris where he worked as a street performer.

At the start of the War of the First Coalition Tarrare joined the French Revolutionary Army. With military rations unable to satisfy his large appetite, he would eat any available food from gutters and refuse heaps but his condition still deteriorated through hunger. Suffering from exhaustion, he was hospitalised and became the subject of a series of medical experiments to test his eating capacity, in which, among other things, he ate a meal intended for 15 people in a single sitting, ate live cats, snakes, lizards and puppies, and swallowed an eel whole without chewing. Despite his unusual diet, he was of normal size and appearance, and showed no signs of mental illness other than what was described as an apathetic temperament.

General Alexandre de Beauharnais decided to put Tarrare's abilities to use, and he was employed as a courier by the French army, with the intention that he would swallow documents, pass through enemy lines, and recover them from his stool once safely at his destination. Unfortunately for Tarrare, he could not speak German, and on his first mission was captured by Prussian forces, severely beaten and underwent a mock execution before being returned to French lines.

Chastened by this experience, he agreed to submit to any procedure that would cure his appetite, and was treated with laudanum, tobacco pills, wine vinegar and soft-boiled eggs. The procedures failed, and doctors could not keep him on a controlled diet; he would sneak out of the hospital to scavenge for offal in gutters, rubbish heaps and outside butchers' shops, and attempted to drink the blood of other patients in the hospital and to eat the corpses in the hospital morgue. After falling under suspicion of eating a toddler he was ejected from the hospital. He reappeared four years later in Versailles suffering from severe tuberculosis, and died shortly afterwards, following a lengthy bout of exudative diarrhoea.

Imagine having to use the toilet after this guy.

twoday has a new favorite as of 11:48 on Nov 13, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

twoday posted:

Amazingly enough there was not just one guy like this, but two! At the same time! In nearly the same place!

Wonder what sort of medical disorder leads to this, especially since it can't be completely mental in nature as neither of them were fat due to their diets

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

drrockso20 posted:

Wonder what sort of medical disorder leads to this, especially since it can't be completely mental in nature as neither of them were fat due to their diets

sudden onset fiction syndrome

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

twoday posted:

cash crab, consider tracing your genealogy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hackbunny posted:

Let's talk carbonara. Carbonara has rules:
  • spaghetti
  • pork cheek bacon, diced, fried in its own fat
  • a whole egg, beaten, mixed with grated pecorino cheese and cooked with the residual heat of the spaghetti
  • ground black pepper
The minor sins of pork belly bacon or grated parmesan will be forgiven, but not forgotten

gently caress NO

This post made me want carbonara, so I made myself some of this. Mmm, delicious.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

This post made me want carbonara, so I made myself some of this. Mmm, delicious.

Death would be too kind for the like of you.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

They probably didn't exist and it's likely that one of them was just based off of stories about the other, considering how close together the "cases" were

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Sadly, I did some Googling and it appears to be a fake. Which honestly disappointed me.

Here's an actual metal restaurant's menu: http://www.kumascorner.com/menu

twoday
May 4, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

They probably didn't exist and it's likely that one of them was just based off of stories about the other, considering how close together the "cases" were

Well, they were both written about in medical journals and in a few other more recent books and it doesn't seem to have been discredited yet.

twoday has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Nov 13, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cash crab posted:

My landlord owns a convenience store and admitted she started buying it because she doesn't know what pasta sauce to buy and just sort of geared it towards what I was buying. :)
Did you at least warn her that that's not a good strategy?

beato posted:

I made carbonara last weekend it was the first time and was great. I used 350g spaghetti, 50g butter, ground pepper, 3 eggs, 200g of pecorino, 100g of prosciutto, 100g of diced mushrooms.

No rules :colbert:
Last time I made carbonara I used fettuccine, milk, bacon, peas, corn, carrots, pepper, Tabasco, mixed Italian herbs, anchovies, and parmesan cheese.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Aesop Poprock posted:

And wild exaggeration. He was probably a normal guy who had a huge appetite and didn't gain any weight. So the nurses get to talking and they're like "yeah it's so weird I bet he sneaks off in the night and eats out of trash cans under cover of darkness" and the remains of a dead cat are found out back that had been picked apart by carrion eaters and they immediately go "oh gross that guy caught and ate that cat" and then a mother is discharged after giving birth and someone forgets to write down that they left and now they're missing a newborn OH GOD THAT GUY ATE A BABY

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

On the other hand, this guy definitely ate a Cessna.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Thought this was the Historical Fun Facts thread, but the French were pretty good at "explaining" things or people that went missing by saying that it was definitely a werewolf that ate your baby, ma'am.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
People eat drywall and pencils, even when actual food is available.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

AlbieQuirky posted:

People eat drywall and pencils, even when actual food is available.

People also eat at Guy Fieri's restaurants, even when actual food is available

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I once bummed a cig to an old lady at a bus stop, then went back to staring at my iPod or whatever I did back then. After a few minutes went by, I realized I didn't smell any smoke, and glanced over at her only to see that she was eating it. Just chowin' down, like it was a carrot or something, only she had little flecks of tobacco on her lips. I decided to walk the rest of the way home rather than wait there any longer.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Posted on Facebook as "stew".

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

I once bummed a cig to an old lady at a bus stop, then went back to staring at my iPod or whatever I did back then. After a few minutes went by, I realized I didn't smell any smoke, and glanced over at her only to see that she was eating it. Just chowin' down, like it was a carrot or something, only she had little flecks of tobacco on her lips. I decided to walk the rest of the way home rather than wait there any longer.
Sounds like Judge Taylor in To Kill a Mockingbird:

quote:

Judge Taylor had one interesting habit. He permitted smoking in his courtroom but did not himself indulge: sometimes, if one was lucky, one had the privilege of watching him put a long dry cigar into his mouth and munch it slowly up. Bit by bit the dead cigar would disappear, to reappear some hours later as a flat slick mess, its essence extracted and mingling with Judge Taylor’s digestive juices. I once asked Atticus how Mrs. Taylor stood to kiss him, but Atticus said they didn’t kiss much.
Have some tobacco ice cream:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

People also eat at Guy Fieri's restaurants, even when actual food is available

"Why does the toasted marshmallow taste like fish?"

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Posted on Facebook as "stew".

Yep checks out, that's stew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I know this is technically for offensive food, but it isn't too far removed to throw some offensive food packaging on the table too.

I'm sorry. :negative:

• Locked thread