Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hashtag GBS posted:

top gun is a great loving movie actually

This. If Rogue One ends up being "Top Gun but with X-wings" it will be unironically the best Star Wars movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

drunk asian neighbor posted:

This. If Rogue One ends up being "Top Gun but with X-wings" it will be unironically the best Star Wars movie.

Does the EU have beach volleyball?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Otisburg posted:

practicing evil medicine without a liscence basically:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cornelius_Evazan

sort of a mash up dr nick from simpsons with dr mengele's pretense towards doing "experiments" on his budget-conscious patients from the sounds of it

did he also make vader's robit body or luke's (or luuke or luuuke's) hand?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

TK-42-1 posted:

Does the EU have beach volleyball?

they have something that' probably fundamentally the same but called something different for space opera reasons

wake up with a cup of tapcaffe, play some holo-sandball, and smoke a cigarra.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Otisburg posted:

they have something that' probably fundamentally the same but called something different for space opera reasons

wake up with a cup of tapcaffe, play some holo-sandball, and smoke a cigarra.

And then maybe have some "hot chocolate", in quote marks because it's a weird alien thing that someone found in the databanks.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Hashtag GBS posted:

top gun is a great loving movie actually

Why the gently caress do you think I said what I did? I'm not being sarcastic

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I mix up 40k and Star Wars jargon a lot. It annoys my purist friends in both fandoms a lot, so now I do it just to gently caress with them. Best Star Wars to be had is the DnD version: ignore dumb poo poo and add what is cool or makes more sense.

Speaking of, have any of yall looked at the RPG ship splatbook? They have some really hosed up numbers in that thing. They say that ships can get from the surface of a planet to its moon in something like 10 minutes, and to the edge of the average system in half an hour or some poo poo. Holy gently caress are those ships fast. And yes, I know its nothing close to 'canon' but canon is bullshit anyway.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Descending list of things in Star Wars in order of coolness:

1. X-Wings
2: TIE Fighter Campaign
3. Millennium Falcon
4.Hinted existence of a very lively Criminal Element
5. Republic Commando game
6.Dark Forces series
7: Shadows of the Empire
8. George Lucas defending Jizz Music
9: KOTOR 2 (with gizka project)
10: KOTOR
11-10000000: SOme random poo poo
10000001: Gungans
10000002: Mandolorians
10000003: Corran Horn
10000004: Jedi bullshit

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Booblord Zagats posted:

Funny how the best Star Wars game are always where you aren't playing as a Jedi.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Chomp8645 posted:

Funny how the best Star Wars game are always where you aren't playing as a Jedi.

The exception would be Dark Forces and KOTOR series, and that's only good because you're playing a Jedi who has zero interest in being one

Also, Mace Windu is by far the least annoying Jedi. He just wants to yell at people and beat the poo poo out of some robots. I can dig it

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Booblord Zagats posted:

1. X-Wings
2: TIE Fighter Campaign
3. Millennium Falcon
4.Hinted existence of a very lively Criminal Element
5. Republic Commando game
6.Dark Forces series
7: Shadows of the Empire
8. George Lucas defending Jizz Music
9: KOTOR 2 (with gizka project)
10: KOTOR
11-10000000: SOme random poo poo
10000001: Gungans
10000002: Mandolorians
10000003: Corran Horn

I suppose you meant to put the Tie-Interceptor at position 0 and forgot to do so.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I suppose you meant to put the Tie-Interceptor at position 0 and forgot to do so.

Assault Gunboats are cooler than Interceptors

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Booblord Zagats posted:

Assault Gunboats are cooler than Interceptors

While i agree that are pretty cool, i will fight you to the death over the supremacy of the Tie-Interceptor.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Assault Gunboats are bad and don't fit the aesthetic.

e: However here's some dude's redesign I just happened upon on GIS and it's way better than the game one. It's like a militarized imperial shuttle. I'd maybe do a slight change in putting it between TIE Bombers and shuttles in size with a smaller/more armored cockpit.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 13, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Yolomon Wayne posted:

While i agree that are pretty cool, i will fight you to the death over the supremacy of the Tie-Interceptor.

Well, son, I hope you like dyin

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Booblord Zagats posted:

Well, son, I hope you like dyin

I need to warn you, i have the higher ground!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Elukka posted:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I need to warn you, i have the higher ground!

Starfighter combat offers not elevation advantage *Flips on concussion missile launchers at max distance*

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Elukka posted:

e: However here's some dude's redesign I just happened upon on GIS and it's way better than the game one. It's like a militarized imperial shuttle.

Thats pretty much how they looked in Alliance. And the whole point is they're a strike capable Lambda shuttle with a respectable warhead loadout

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Booblord Zagats posted:

Starfighter combat offers not elevation advantage *Flips on concussion missile launchers at max distance*

iirc, those are dumbfire and the Interceptor is very agile, so i dodge and close in, priming all 4 lasers.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Get a room and a copy of X-Wing you two.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Booblord Zagats posted:

The exception would be Dark Forces and KOTOR series, and that's only good because you're playing a Jedi who has zero interest in being one

Also, Mace Windu is by far the least annoying Jedi. He just wants to yell at people and beat the poo poo out of some robots. I can dig it
I'll defend the gameplay in the Force Unleashed games, it's fun as gently caress to use the Force on random poo poo and be a totally overpowered rear end in a top hat. Force Lightning on Jawas never gets old, or picking up a stormtrooper by the neck, moving him over a ledge, and just letting go. Or picking up one trooper and throwing human full power into a crowd, and they all go flying like billiard balls hit by a cue ball. The ragdoll physics and destructible environments in that game are awesome.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

I'll defend the gameplay in the Force Unleashed games, it's fun as gently caress to use the Force on random shut and be a totally overpowered rear end in a top hat. Force Lightning on Jawas never gets old, or picking up a stormtrooper by the neck, moving him over a ledge, and just letting go. Or picking up one trooper and throwing human full power into a crowd, and they all go flying like billiard balls hit by a cue ball.

Yeah other than the game being bad at literally everything else after that it's a cool game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah other than the game being bad at literally everything else after that it's a cool game.
I think you should play the game over and over until you like it. :colbert:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Yolomon Wayne posted:

iirc, those are dumbfire and the Interceptor is very agile, so i dodge and close in, priming all 4 lasers.

Really you wanna go in to that single shot and charge the shielded craft, but make a hard break at about 1.8k and try to force it in to a turning fight, where the interceptor's superior agility and acceleration can keep the gunboat from bringing all 4 guns to bear or blind-firing concussion missiles at +/-0.5

Against X-Wings though you're better off trying to just create max-distance head-on shots and then dodging deflection shots, because the X-Wing can actually turn with the interceptor at close range

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Booblord Zagats posted:

Really you wanna go in to that single shot and charge the shielded craft, but make a hard break at about 1.8k and try to force it in to a turning fight, where the interceptor's superior agility and acceleration can keep the gunboat from bringing all 4 guns to bear or blind-firing concussion missiles at +/-0.5

Against X-Wings though you're better off trying to just create max-distance head-on shots and then dodging deflection shots, because the X-Wing can actually turn with the interceptor at close range

This made my cock tingle, i long for a next-gen Tie-Fighter game...

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Get XWA on steam and go to xwaupdate.com and install the full craft pack. It's as close are we're getting for awhile

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So the shattered empire comic seems to be the closest we'll get to wraith squadron (the only good trio of EU books that had top gun in space) until they actually make a movie. Artist and writer seem to have a sweet hard-on for starfighter combat. The art is gorgeous.

E: There's a naboo vs. tie fighter battle going on now. :swoon: It's just like the n64 game!

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 13, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Yolomon Wayne posted:

There was going to be one on the Wii U before Lucasarts folded

Probably would have been more similar to the excellent Rogue Squadron but they specifically called it a Tie Fighter game

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Elukka posted:

e: However here's some dude's redesign I just happened upon on GIS and it's way better than the game one. It's like a militarized imperial shuttle. I'd maybe do a slight change in putting it between TIE Bombers and shuttles in size with a smaller/more armored cockpit.

Someone else might have mentioned it already but the Gunboat was made by the same company that makes the imperial shuttles as a competitor to the TIE Bomber. It let Lucasart partially reuse the shuttle model and bring some variety to the Imp side of things. I always liked flying them because they could take a lot of abuse and had missiles for days.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Trast posted:

Someone else might have mentioned it already but the Gunboat was made by the same company that makes the imperial shuttles as a competitor to the TIE Bomber. It let Lucasart partially reuse the shuttle model and bring some variety to the Imp side of things. I always liked flying them because they could take a lot of abuse and had missiles for days.

Yeah, plus the original X-Wing designers didn't want to gently caress up cannon by making Imperial X-Wings/Y-Wings or TIEs with hyper-drive units

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

There was going to be one on the Wii U before Lucasarts folded

Probably would have been more similar to the excellent Rogue Squadron but they specifically called it a Tie Fighter game

IIRC LucasArts had a real problem making games that were not horrible at the end of their run.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

IIRC LucasArts had a real problem making games that were not horrible at the end of their run.

Yep, they canceled 1313, the TIE game and the sequel to Republic Commando and hosed up launching an Indiana Jones game that was essentially going to be Uncharted before Uncharted

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...PostPageIndex=1

This sums it up really well

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yep, they canceled 1313, the TIE game and the sequel to Republic Commando and hosed up launching an Indiana Jones game that was essentially going to be Uncharted before Uncharted

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...PostPageIndex=1

This sums it up really well

"Darth Icky"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

SirPhoebos posted:

"Darth Icky"

In early 2009, Free Radical released a company video that made fun of LucasArts and Star Wars. In it, a representative of LucasArts tells a Free Radical employee, “We have to pull the game. It has become too good. You need to make it worse, or we are pulling the game. We need to make products with the Star Wars name, but with little content. It’s about making a f---ing bucket full of money, don’t you understand?” After an exchange of words, the Free Radical employee responds, “You guys are a--holes.”

“We sent Free Radical an email asking for them to remove [the video], and they refused to take it down,” a former LucasArts employee says. “That was one of the last straws for Darrell.”

So many pissing contests

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the best lightsaber game is Jedi Outcast II you goddamn noobs

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Groovelord Neato posted:

the best lightsaber game is Jedi Outcast II you goddamn noobs

You didn't even get the name right, scrublord

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Jedi_Knight_II:_Jedi_Outcast

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Dark Forces III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

But then a phantom menace struck. George Lucas would periodically check in on the status of the games his company was making, lending creative input and advice. The developer I talked to sighs, and agitatedly says, “In one viewing of Fracture, [Lucas] said it looked really good, but he didn’t like [Mason Briggs’] name. We’re like, ‘What do you mean, George?’ He responded to the effect of, ‘It doesn’t really fit. When he jumps on stuff, he moves pretty fast. I like B.J. Dart.’

“So everybody’s like, ‘No, he’s gotta be f---ing with us.’ He’s absolutely not. So when something like that happened – in the middle of the campaign, mind you – we have to go back through that entire naming convention again… from scratch.” From that second session, Jet Brody was born. Coincidentally. Jett is the name of Lucas’ son.

There are now what, 4 or 5 stories of Lucas doing this to people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Lucas seems to be really good at coming up with the worst possible names off the top of his head

Negacreativity

• Locked thread