Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

quote:

A job for better men than I, then?

I suppose I can't argue with that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Dallan Invictus posted:

This was just a cunning ploy to get himself a different avatar than OSI bean dip.

A minor victory I assure you, I even have text now. I still have avatars off because nothing is work safe.

OSI bean dip posted:

Kindly tell us what an "adequate sentence" might be for these sort of crimes. :allears:

Please let me know what you think Marco Muzzo deserves as a sentence.

http://montrealgazette.com/opinion/...-5-year-old-boy

Or as another example, is this fair a fair conclusion for this crime?

Vasler posted:

I guess the question I have then is, how do you come to the conclusion that a sentence is too long or too short? What is your basis for making that claim? Perhaps you're a lawyer or have some experience in law? I don't mean this sarcastically but I am curious how you actually sit down and decide that a judge has sentenced someone incorrectly and how you reach that conclusion.

Let's give you a scenario, your mother/spouse/child dies in a car accident, let's use drunk driving as an example. The conviction is 4 years, and a 4 year driving ban. Is this a fair sentence for your family member? Guess what, they don't serve full sentences either hooray!

M.McFly posted:

By what metric are these crimes 'under sentenced'? What do you hope to accomplish with longer sentencing? All I can gather from your posting is that you're attempting to quench some thirst for retribution or something.

When you have Conrad Black going to prison for a longer term (US I know) than people who commit vehicular manslaughter, do you think this is fair? Do you think justice is served when we convict someone for 4-5 years, and they are out in 3 after they've reformed?

Gus Hobbleton posted:

By this logic I should be able to walk into a crowded place, put on a blindfold, and start spinning around with a chainsaw in my hands. OOPS IT WAS AN ACCIDENT I DIDN'T MEAN IT!

Just loving execute anyone who drives drunk. gently caress the suspended sentences, gently caress the license suspensions. Just loving kill them.

I would like harsher penalties as well, but yours are a bit strong. Drinking and driving, minimum sentence 6 months in jail first offence sounds about right.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

PT6A posted:

Well, the real question is: do you want the sentences to be modified because it "feels right" or because you imagine it will produce some sort of benefit beyond making you, and presumably some other people, feel good? Do we really want a criminal justice system that gives significant consideration to our gut feelings? I, for one, do not, and I'm happy to say I've evolved quite a bit on this issue over the past few years.

Like, if a bunch of people look at a ruling and say "wait what, why did the judge do that?" then something's wrong. You can try and illegitamize that by chalking it up to "tummyfeels" but the laws and the judges who weigh the rulings are (as I understood it? gently caress, maybe I'm wrong) should reflect the general will of the common person -- or their rulings should pass the "smell test" or whatever phrasing you wanna use.

I don't think saying "hey we have these rules FOR A REASON" is of any use, if the result is still bad.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Speaking of punishment, what's the dalhousie gentlemen's club of 2015 doing now?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

Speaking of punishment, what's the dalhousie gentlemen's club of 2015 doing now?

Signing cheques and printing dollar bills

Edit: perhaps even "roleplaying" horrible bosses irl

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jm20 posted:

When you have Conrad Black going to prison for a longer term (US I know) than people who commit vehicular manslaughter, do you think this is fair? Do you think justice is served when we convict someone for 4-5 years, and they are out in 3 after they've reformed?

No, I'd want to kill them, and in quite a painful way at that. Hell, if someone did a hit-and-run on my car, I'd want to beat them with a tire iron. That doesn't mean our judicial system should entertain my, or anyone else's, fantasies of revenge. Leaving punishment solely up to the victim without regard for what's best for society is barbarism.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
PT6A you just keep making me like you more. If you ever end up in o town or I end up in Calgary, let's go flying. I'll even let you be PIC.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

PT6A you just keep making me like you more. If you ever end up in o town or I end up in Calgary, let's go flying. I'll even let you be PIC.

That could happen. A good friend of mine is moving to Toronto next week, so I might have a reason to come out east finally.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

P.d0t posted:

Like, if a bunch of people look at a ruling and say "wait what, why did the judge do that?" then something's wrong. You can try and illegitamize that by chalking it up to "tummyfeels" but the laws and the judges who weigh the rulings are (as I understood it? gently caress, maybe I'm wrong) should reflect the general will of the common person -- or their rulings should pass the "smell test" or whatever phrasing you wanna use.

I don't think saying "hey we have these rules FOR A REASON" is of any use, if the result is still bad.

Well the other problem is that people usually aren't reading the actual judgements involved. People usually hear a small snippet of something in the media, decide that so and so deserves punishment X, but generally don't stop to think about the various modifying factors at play. Those modifiers are encoded in law, and if they're to be changed, it's legislators you need to deal with. The challenge is to not overreact and write something that violates a bunch of charter rights.

I agree there's room for improvement though. Concurrent sentences in particular seem odd to me; I knew a guy who was convicted of a dozen or so sexual assault and sexual interference charges, but those all get to be served concurrently, leading to a total between them of 3 years or something. But he also extorted a lot of the victims into sending him photos, and so got 11 years of jail time for that. :iiam:

e: on the other hand, I would think it equally ridiculous if someone committed 20 minor robberies, and received 20 x 6 months of jail time for it or whatever.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 13, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

jm20 posted:

See, I actually want to see people be reformed, but that's often double-speak for "keeping people in jail forever is expensive, so everyone gets out eventually, gently caress it." That's an injustice to both the convict and society as a whole (and particularly any victims.)

Now, I don't think everyone can be reformed but apparently we don't like to hang people or give them lethal injections or the electric chair, so we're back at "keeping people in jail forever is expensive, so everyone gets out eventually, gently caress it" except it's also applying to the worst of the worst. It's not an excuse to lock up everyone forever, but why are people getting let out who aren't rehabilitated, or can't/won't be?

It also bothers me that "well criminals just become even worse in prison" as if that's something we could never change or improve on.

The whole criminal justice system is a giant poo poo sandwich.

edit: Also this :can:

PittTheElder posted:

Concurrent sentences

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 13, 2015

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 9, 2022

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Canpol law and order:
Crucify lord black of crossharbour.
Oh jenny kwan does good work so let her off.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

P.d0t posted:

It also bothers me that "well criminals just become even worse in prison" as if that's something we could never change or improve on.

you can't have it both ways. prison is either a punishment or a place where offenders can be rehabilitated

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

the talent deficit posted:

you can't have it both ways. prison is either a punishment or a place where offenders can be rehabilitated

How are they mutually exclusive? They are punished by limiting their freedom and at the same time have access to programs to allow them to be productive members of society once they are out. You can do both.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

Eh this is basically semantics; if you're a threat to society, you shouldn't be out in it. Whether or not you can be rehabilitated determines whether you're in what currently constitutes a "prison" or in " p.d0t's pipe-dream rehab" but you should still be in "the system," whatever form that takes.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

Canpol law and order:
Crucify lord black of crossharbour.
Oh jenny kwan does good work so let her off.

Consider Vic Teows is a judge, specifically family law.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
My anecdotal example is from when I worked in loss prevention, and our agency arrested the same rear end in a top hat(s) over 100 times because they "only" stole a ~$500 cartful of steak/replacement razorblades/AA batteries, which -> theft under $5000 -> judge goes "this poo poo is not worth my time, ~community measures~" for someone who has clearly decided that stealing is their career.

There's a difference between that person, and the kid who steals a candy bar, and a person who steals food because they're impoverished due to addictions and/or mental health issues. But by and large, the end result is ... well, not "the same" but usually the person who's the rotten apple gets a slap on the wrist and/or doesn't get their behaviour-pattern corrected (and we don't wanna lock em up and throw away the key, because :10bux:), and the person who needs emotional/psychological help doesn't end up getting it, either.

Like, I don't know what the law expects judges to do regarding this poo poo, or what powers they even have to do anything, I just know it's failing people left-right-and-centre, so the system needs to change.

I guess my answer is, I want the system to actually fix broken people, whatever shape that takes. And I don't want a one-size-fits-all bullshit solution. But if someone can't be fixed, then they shouldn't be let out; like, what's the perceived benefit? :confused:

I also think we can do a lot better by victims, but my thoughts are less refined on that front.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 9, 2022

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Yes, victims should also be rehabilitated and comforted and helped, but that must absolutely not under any circumstances include enhanced punitive measures, victim surcharges, public floggings etc meant to make the victims dumb lizard brains "feel" better for a fleeting moment before they remember their life is still bleak and meaningless.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Agree, if anything support measures should help ensure they don't want to solely appease their lizard-brains.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 9, 2022

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

jm20 posted:

A minor victory I assure you, I even have text now. I still have avatars off because nothing is work safe.

Let's give you a scenario, your mother/spouse/child dies in a car accident, let's use drunk driving as an example. The conviction is 4 years, and a 4 year driving ban. Is this a fair sentence for your family member? Guess what, they don't serve full sentences either hooray!

I'm gonna say that I'm probably going to be upset at the person that killed my family member. As for sentencing though I have no idea what an appropriate term is. I don't think prison/jail should be about punishing - it should be about reforming. Aside from that I don't have an answer.

The thing I don't understand here is how do you determine that someone gets off too easily? What is your metric? This is something that I don't really understand in this whole discussion.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

PT6A posted:

That could happen. A good friend of mine is moving to Toronto next week, so I might have a reason to come out east finally.

I wouldn't mind joining in on this.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

THC posted:

Liberals no longer promising to reopen Veterans Affairs office in Sydney.

Liberals waffling on the overseas mission.

Liberals say the cupboard is bare, we can't afford all the infrastructure spending they promised.

Who is surprised?

Jordan7hm posted:

Herh said they would be reopening those offices but maybe putting them in different locations.

Links to your other two claims please.

THC could you source your claims like you were asked to do yesterday, please.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

It looks like they're also opposing the expansion of the Toronto island airport which pisses me right off. I don't really think the people living on the island have the right to deny Toronto a very useful economic boost. Plus that hurts Bombardier even more.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
edit: this brief could probably entitled "please like us"

quote:

Good Friday morning to you.

So here’s a novel idea: referring to the Government of Canada as…wait for it…the Government of Canada. And that, says Treasury Board President Scott Brison, is exactly what the Liberals are going to do. Gone are the days when public servants have to “brand” all government communications by using the prime minister’s name. Brison says they won’t be referring to the “Trudeau government” as was the case with his predecessor The Citizen’s Kathryn May has that story.

Also gone? Plans to appeal the niqab court case. As CBC reports, Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould is expected to formally withdraw the federal government's request for an appeal of a Federal Court of Appeal decision that allowed women to wear face veils at citizenship ceremonies.

Not gone? The court battle over the country’s mail. The Canadian Union of Postal Workers Federal Court challenge of Canada Post’s decision to end home mail delivery is still going ahead, despite the fact there’s a new federal government in power.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau leaves on his first foreign trip today, bound for Turkey where he’ll attend G20 meetings before heading on to the Philippines next week for the APEC summit. CP’s Mike Blanchfield says Trudeau’s plan is to push his spending and growth agenda during his discussions with world leaders.

Once he’s back, he’ll sit down with the premiers and territorial leaders to talk climate change ahead of heading to Paris for the global climate change summit. The Nov. 23 meeting will be the first between first ministers and the prime minister since 2009. Trudeau said yesterday they’ll be talking about “the kind of strong and cohesive message we will be delivering as Canadians in Paris at the very important COP21 conference.”

CBC has learned that Trudeau will also meeting with leaders from five national aboriginal groups before 2015 is over. Although no date has been set, it will be a memorable day as it will mark the first time in a decade that Canada’s prime minister has met with the organizations.

Talk of an inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women will no doubt be a topic of much discussion around that table. Announcing one is something the Liberal government wants to do “as soon as we possibly can,” Carolyn Bennett said yesterday. As the new minister of indigenous and northern affairs, she’s hoping to be able to start a pre-inquiry consultation process within the next 100 days. CTV News has more.

In a complete contrast to the fear mongering from the Conservatives where ISIS is concerned, Canada’s new defence minister, says while the country must contribute to the defeat of ISIS, Canadians shouldn’t be afraid of the jihadist organization. In his first sit down interview since being sworn in, Harjit Sajjan said contrary to much media coverage declaring him a badass, he says he’s really not.

As far as Syrian refugees are concerned, although cabinet is doing a lot of talking about plans to bring 25,000 of them here by the end of the year, there’s been little news on just how that’s going to happen. Our Janice Dickson has that story.

Turning to tax evasion: Ahead of a G20 meeting in Turkey this weekend that will tackle, among other issues, the GDP lost to global tax havens, the anti-poverty organization Oxfam is warning that it’s not just poor countries that suffer when corporations avoid paying their share. Selina Chignall has more.

Premier Rachel Notley has served notice her province will move ahead with a tougher climate change strategy. In a speech last night at the Broadbent Institute Progress Gala in Toronto, she said her government has coal emissions squarely in its sights and suggested more carbon taxes may be coming.

In Montreal, now that the city’s raw sewage is gushing into the St. Lawrence River, Mayor Denis Coderre headed into the bowel’s of the sewer system to look at the extent of the corrosion and rot in the arches of a major interceptor that required the dumping in the first place.

Here and there:
  • The 12th annual Trudeau Foundation conference, with this year's theme about the future — the future of new governance arrangements, of new civil society initiatives, of innovative technologies, of leadership. Through Nov 14.
  • The Hill Times hosts a symposium on climate change. The gathering raises awareness on food security in the face of a changing climate. Keynote speaker Ontario Minister of Environment and Climate Change Glen Murray.
  • Environment Minister Catherine McKenna meets with Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson. Media availability follows.
  • Conference on Canadian military law titled “Winds of Change.” The forum debates and exchanges ideas for the reform of Canadian Military Law.
  • Bank of Canada senior deputy governor Carolyn Wilkins speaks to the Rotman School of Management and the Munk School of Global Affairs (University of Toronto).
  • The Economic Club of Canada hosts the Canadian Energy Summit in Calgary.
  • Wildrose party annual general meeting through Nov. 14.
  • Manitoba Opposition Leader Brian Pallister to give alternative throne speech to outline Progressive Conservative values and priorities.
  • In Boston, Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard meets with Massachusetts governor Charles Baker. He’ll also meet with Paul LePage, the governor of Maine, and deliver a lunchtime speech to 23rd annual conference on energy, commerce and technology hosted by the New England-Canada Business Council.
  • The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development holds a webcast briefing for media on the COP21 Climate Summit.

There was word last night that "Jihadi John” may no longer be of this world. The Pentagon announced U.S. forces had targeted Mohammed Emwazi in drone strikes in Syria and sources told ABC News a flawless, clean hit was completed as he left a building. There was no collateral damage and he basically ‘evaporated.’ The 27-year-old has appeared in a series of brutal execution videos, including those of American journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff, and also taunted Western leaders in a British accent.

At least 37 people have been killed and 181 wounded in two suicide bomb attacks in a residential area of the Lebanese capital, Beirut, officials say. Although the Sunni jihadist group Islamic State claimed responsibility, that hasn’t been independently confirmed.

In Featured Opinion this morning:
  • Back in the good old days, when newspaper publishers were knee-high to God and could make presidents and prime ministers quake in fear, newspaper endorsements meant something. Before he made the Postmedia papers a national laughingstock with their bizarre and heavy-handed endorsement of the tanking Conservatives in the recent election, someone really should have broken the news to CEO Paul Godfrey — that it's not the 19th century anymore.
  • Tonight, Michael Harris says it's time for Postmedia's brass to take a long, honest look in the mirror and reflect on how they soiled their professional reputation by mandating pro-Harper endorsements throughout the chain and butting heads with star columnist Andrew Coyne.
  • It's a parliamentary tradition as old as the sergeant-at-arms' fancy hat: a new government ripping the old one for lying about the state of the books. Tasha Kheiriddin says Prime Minister Trudeau now has an opening to use the doomy PBO report to pull a Dalton McGuinty — and break his promise to balance the budget in 2019.
  • While it surprised no one, President Obama's final rejection of the Keystone XL pipeline project triggered howls of outrage from Canada's energy heartland. But what if this is the kind of crisis that spells 'opportunity'? Merran Smith and Dan Woynillowicz of Clean Energy Canada explain how the nation can ride the coming boom in green tech — but only if we move fast.

Finally this morning, former NDP MP Peter Stoffer was much-loved on all sides of the House. And it seems there are more than a few people who aren’t ready to see him leave the Hill just yet, so they’ve launched a petition to have him appointed to the Senate.

And just because, we leave you with a bulldog for the books. This record-setting four-wheeled and four-legged furry clearly knows a thing or two about balance. And ducking. Useful attributes in a political career…

Just don’t try this at home, kids, but do have yourself a great weekend.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kraftwerk posted:

It looks like they're also opposing the expansion of the Toronto island airport which pisses me right off. I don't really think the people living on the island have the right to deny Toronto a very useful economic boost. Plus that hurts Bombardier even more.

But it's not just people on the island, the expansion of the airport faces widespread opposition throughout downtown Toronto?

e: Also, you know, we already have an international airport and a high speed rail link that leaves downtown every 15 mins.

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 13, 2015

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They just live there, why don't you ever think about the people who have to work there and fly in. What about their needs?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Just the fact that the airport expansion was being championed by the Ford brothers should be enough to tell anyone what a bad idea it is.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Toronto Airport shenanigans are a perfect example of how a lot of fights in our country come down to corporate interests versus public interests. Namely, the people who live there don't want this thing to happen, but corporations do want it to happen so they can make slightly more money. Theoretically, in a democracy like ours, the people who actually live there should have a say in whether or not something disruptive to their lives happens. Of course, sometimes this leads to NIMBYism and people resisting wind turbines in rural areas, but in a case like this one I'm pretty glad that the airport won't be expanded considering it's not like Toronto lacks air connections to anywhere at the moment, and I hate the fact that so much of our society revolves around what rich businesspeople want.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

But it's not just people on the island, the expansion of the airport faces widespread opposition throughout downtown Toronto?

e: Also, you know, we already have an international airport and a high speed rail link that leaves downtown every 15 mins.

Hardly. The new express train operates at a blistering 90 km/h, takes nearly half an hour, and costs $27/person. It is poo poo, and can easily be outdone by metro trains in proper cities.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Hardly. The new express train operates at a blistering 90 km/h, takes nearly half an hour, and costs $27/person. It is poo poo, and can easily be outdone by metro trains in proper cities.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-s-airport-train-how-would-our-fare-compare-1.2741584

It compares quite well to other airport rail links both in cost and time.

But I'll start dusting off the world smallest violin to play just for the air travelers, hang on. :qq:

e: Also I'm still laughing at the idea this is 'bad for bombardier.' I don't think Toronto is going to feel sorry for Bombardier when we're about to sue them because they can't deliver our streetcars anywhere CLOSE to on time.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transportation/2015/10/16/ttc-considers-suing-as-bombardier-streetcars-delayed-again.html

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 13, 2015

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Vasler posted:

I'm gonna say that I'm probably going to be upset at the person that killed my family member. As for sentencing though I have no idea what an appropriate term is. I don't think prison/jail should be about punishing - it should be about reforming. Aside from that I don't have an answer.

The thing I don't understand here is how do you determine that someone gets off too easily? What is your metric? This is something that I don't really understand in this whole discussion.

What is enough I am not sure myself, however removing all these opportunities to leave prison early would be a good start. This is what is also frustrating, seeing sentences handed out and having the perpetrators get off at 1/3 the sentence for good behaviour. Once again, I am only talking about crimes that are resultant in the death of another person.

PT6A posted:

It is the fastest way from YYZ to the Royal York short of a helicopter.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

PT6A posted:

Pick up a Presto card. The fare's only 19 bucks and it's cheaper than a lovely shared shuttle ride.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=11513406

Guys it's not embezzlement. It's paying yourself a bonus!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Mods please rename CI to Weedlord Kwitler tia

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I'm an ex Bombardier employee so take it from me when I tell you that they're one of the most incompetent and inefficient companies on Earth. That still doesn't change the fact that they pay very well and build a high value advanced product right here in Toronto. The average Bombardier employee make around 50k to 80k per year, gets an amazing benefits plan and has a pension fund that matches your contributions 1:1 up to 8% of your wage.

They even provide up to something like 2500 per year in mental health benefits if you need a psychologist. I'm not comfortable with letting a company like that go up in smoke along with the benefits and jobs it provides to all those people.

The job I work right now depends on me selling to manufacturers and I can tell you it's a loving wasteland out there in Canada. Very little manufacturing exists here anymore and definitely not in the volumes the US operates in. It's actually gonna hurt my business if I don't figure something out.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kraftwerk posted:

The job I work right now depends on me selling to manufacturers and I can tell you it's a loving wasteland out there in Canada. Very little manufacturing exists here anymore and definitely not in the volumes the US operates in. It's actually gonna hurt my business if I don't figure something out.

By 'figure something out' do you mean repeal free trade agreements? Because otherwise I have some very bad news for you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jm20 posted:

It is the fastest way from YYZ to the Royal York short of a helicopter.

And that's supposed to be impressive?

No, it compares well to the airports they specifically picked to compare it to. I notice there's no mention of Madrid or Amsterdam, two airports I've been to that have much better airport-to-centre connections. I notice there's no mention of any of the airports in China where proper high-speed lines have been built. I notice that page doesn't discuss distance or speed, just overall time. I mean -- 90 km/h? Are you loving kidding me? This is 2015, you should be able to run a train at well over 200 km/h without much trouble. Again: metro trains in some cities can run faster than that! It's embarrassing that this is the newest, greatest system Toronto could come up with.

Note that I'm not actually defending the expansion of Billy Bishop. I personally support it, but obviously the people in the area do not, so I don't think my opinions ought to override other considerations. I'm just saying that your lovely airport train is a godawful embarrassment (still better than Calgary, because we don't have one, mind you...) and it's by no means "high speed."

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

By 'figure something out' do you mean repeal free trade agreements? Because otherwise I have some very bad news for you.

No obviously I don't have that kind of power. But one of three things will happen. Either we abandon limiting ourselves to the Canadian market and resume selling into the US or I pack up and relocate to a US division. Worst case scenario is that we shut down and I join the ranks of the permanently unemployed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

vyelkin posted:

The Toronto Airport shenanigans are a perfect example of how a lot of fights in our country come down to corporate interests versus public interests. Namely, the people who live there don't want this thing to happen, but corporations do want it to happen so they can make slightly more money. Theoretically, in a democracy like ours, the people who actually live there should have a say in whether or not something disruptive to their lives happens. Of course, sometimes this leads to NIMBYism and people resisting wind turbines in rural areas, but in a case like this one I'm pretty glad that the airport won't be expanded considering it's not like Toronto lacks air connections to anywhere at the moment, and I hate the fact that so much of our society revolves around what rich businesspeople want.

I used to live around there and wanted the airport expanded and am not a rich businessman. Having an airport you can easily take transit to or loving walk to, had great service, and let's you fly places for super cheap is awesome as poo poo. Getting to Montreal with less than hour total travel time for like, less than $200 on a good sale? That's p. awesome. As far as I'm concerned if it would let me fly even more places for even cheaper I like it. Because travelling is cool and fun and I'm not made of money. How awesome would it be to get similar discounts and be able to go even further?

Of course I was renting so I didn't give a gently caress about "Mein condo value :qq:" dropping because of noise or whatever.

But no you're right only the "corporations" wanted it :rolleyes:

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 13, 2015