Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Its damage also doesn't scale with the color of the rapier so it's kind of pants.

Sounds like a bug to me. There's no good reason for it not to increase with the rapier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

StringOfLetters posted:

I feel like they really nailed the wizard-feel in this game. Chucking a big flaming death bolt like a javelin and gibbing eight guys feels amazing. And the temptation to push past your tiny little overcharge comfort zone into the much larger gently caress-zone is constant and enticing, like an addictive and volatile chaos magic source ought to be. My only complaints are A) the fuckin loot system, and B) Sienna should cackle a lot more often.
I didn't know the bolt staff bolt even had AOE! Is it line AOE or does it blow up on impact?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

BW is so awesome.... i wish i'd get at least a half decent weapon for her. I used to only play Sienna until I started getting fat loot for other classes :/ Then I rolled for an orange flamesword at 60% chance and ended up with a sucky orange mace, which I won't even upgrade.

the sword/flamesword charged attacks are insanely good., especially with earthing rune.
regular swords seem to be very rare, never seen any drop while rolling loot

oh, and nothing beats owning whole patrols with your fireball staff :)

it seems the game's loot system encourages players to pick the class they play based on the loot they roll. maybe its a good thing, otherwise we'd only stick with our preferred class and ignore the playstyle of the others.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
I would love an orange flamesword. I ended up with an orange normal sword with earthing runes, so I use that.

Flamesword/Beam staff is the Pro Combo I think.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

but normal sword 1shots things if you aim right... thats too good imo, whereas flamingsword is downright weaker when under pressure

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Played a nightmare Smuggler's Run. At the edge of the flooded section with the wide open space, we hear a patrol of stormvermin coming our way. The geniuses I was playing with decided to hide to the right of the entrance they were coming from rather than retreating across the water and going around. So I suggest tossing an improved bomb with a strength potion and the elf player starts to flip out (because it's always the elf player) thinking I'm going to get us all killed. The stormvermin are almost on top of us, so I say gently caress it, hock the potion and toss the improved bomb. Lands square in the middle, I get eight stormvermin kills, and the rest of the players applauded me.

The elf shut up after that.

I am also loving Kruber's Arming Sword. Headshot and AP on the special attack is brilliant for swarms. So many decapitations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

All I want to know is how the lootsystem work. Can it scratch that Diablo itch of always getting better numbers?

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Michaellaneous posted:

All I want to know is how the lootsystem work. Can it scratch that Diablo itch of always getting better numbers?

No. If you want a constant carrot on a stick upgrade stream of loot then this is definitely not your game.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Michaellaneous posted:

You're supposed to focus on 'gittin gudder' instead of getting better loot.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Good times from around release https://youtu.be/VuqQeDPQKdc

I just need to be not lazy about converting these other videos into something more manageable than a 1GB clip.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Michaellaneous posted:

The loot system is predetermined. The dice rolls don't matter and the game already knows what item and quality you will get upon completing the map.

Also, once you start getting lot of orange items, most of them are garbage crap. Leaving only hats, which do nothing. Trinkets have some good stuff but there are only really 4 or 5 that are worth using.

The variety of weapon skins are also lacking. You aren't going to find Kruber bashing rats with a giant eyeball mace or the elf shooting lighting arrows and stuff. There is ~3 skins per item too.

The game isn't really about the loot and the loot system is pretty shallow. If the part of Diablo you enjoyed was killing poo poo loads of baddies and increasing the game difficulty then this could appeal to you.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Snatch Duster posted:

The loot system is predetermined. The dice rolls don't matter and the game already knows what item and quality you will get upon completing the map.

Also, once you start getting lot of orange items, most of them are garbage crap. Leaving only hats, which do nothing. Trinkets have some good stuff but there are only really 4 or 5 that are worth using.

The variety of weapon skins are also lacking. You aren't going to find Kruber bashing rats with a giant eyeball mace or the elf shooting lighting arrows and stuff. There is ~3 skins per item too.

The game isn't really about the loot and the loot system is pretty shallow. If the part of Diablo you enjoyed was killing poo poo loads of baddies and increasing the game difficulty then this could appeal to you.

The dice rolls ARE the underlying mechanic that determines what you get. Whether or not the calculation takes place exactly when you press "ROLL DICE" or not doesn't matter, unless you are hoping for one more way to cheat this game? FFS, just use cheat engine and give yourself 7 grimoires every run if you hate playing the game so much.

Don't listen to this guy, he has some serious issues and is in a very abusive relationship with this game. You don't want to be like him.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Skandranon posted:

The dice rolls ARE the underlying mechanic that determines what you get. Whether or not the calculation takes place exactly when you press "ROLL DICE" or not doesn't matter, unless you are hoping for one more way to cheat this game? FFS, just use cheat engine and give yourself 7 grimoires every run if you hate playing the game so much.

Don't listen to this guy, he has some serious issues and is in a very abusive relationship with this game. You don't want to be like him.

He is right about it being determined as soon as you finish the map. A few times I've been disconnected when the level ended and found something new in my inventory.

What actual difference that makes I don't know but it's definitely technically correct.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Taear posted:

He is right about it being determined as soon as you finish the map. A few times I've been disconnected when the level ended and found something new in my inventory.

What actual difference that makes I don't know but it's definitely technically correct.

I know it's technically correct, but it changes nothing in how the game works or how you should feel about the loot you get, unless you believe you somehow had some agency in how the dice roll, which you don't.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Taear posted:

When it's determined has no bearing on whether or not the dice rolls matter. You get a piece of gear with randomly determined quality, and the distribution of the random determinations follows the expected distribution of rolling the dice the game shows you. Therefore the dice rolls and more importantly which dice you get very much do matter whether or not you get any agency in them (you don't) or they occur when the game shows the roll (they don't, and it's good that they don't, they should happen immediately on win).

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

I know it's technically correct, but it changes nothing in how the game works or how you should feel about the loot you get, unless you believe you somehow had some agency in how the dice roll, which you don't.

My point is this: nothing matters and its thinly veiled facade of loot depth. The items they show that you could possibly win aren't real and never possible to get. The loot grind or treadmill is fake and anyone looking for it in this game shouldn't.

I get you and bunch of goonies are really butthurt with my posts, but now you are just going out of your way to argue with me even when you know that I am right, lol.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ITT the person who has the largest boner of loot continues to be bipolar and doesn't understand probability.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Snatch Duster posted:

My point is this: nothing matters and its thinly veiled facade of loot depth. The items they show that you could possibly win aren't real and never possible to get. The loot grind or treadmill is fake and anyone looking for it in this game shouldn't.

I get you and bunch of goonies are really butthurt with my posts, but now you are just going out of your way to argue with me even when you know that I am right, lol.

Was that the Straight D? Feels more like limp d now. And no, you're just plain wrong. The dice rolls are exactly as consequential as displayed, you just have a warped view of probability and determinism, and are cranky about 1 too many poor rolls due to your constant self flagellation to get orange items.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

Was that the Straight D? Feels more like limp d now. And no, you're just plain wrong. The dice rolls are exactly as consequential as displayed, you just have a warped view of probability and determinism, and are cranky about 1 too many poor rolls due to your constant self flagellation to get orange items.

lol if you think that brosef. I have poo poo ton of oranges, roughly 50 and could give a gently caress if I got more.

lol just lol if you think the dice rolls matter.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the game determines your loot upon loading the map and that grabbing tomes/grims are slight modifiers to loot rarity.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Snatch Duster posted:

On the contrary, the event they show you where a randomly selected loot of a quality corresponding to a random event influenced by the dice upgrades you earned and the difficulty you played on does in fact happen, just not at the same time as they show it. It's blatantly obvious that yes, Virginia, the one item of loot you get per run is real. Do you think that unless a lottery is broadcast live and not on a tape delay it's a fake? Would you think it was a fake unless they showed you the rng output that got mapped to an integer between 1 and 6 for each die because of course they aren't doing a real physical simulation of the dice?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

xthetenth posted:

On the contrary, the event they show you where a randomly selected loot of a quality corresponding to a random event influenced by the dice upgrades you earned and the difficulty you played on does in fact happen, just not at the same time as they show it. It's blatantly obvious that yes, Virginia, the one item of loot you get per run is real. Do you think that unless a lottery is broadcast live and not on a tape delay it's a fake? Would you think it was a fake unless they showed you the rng output that got mapped to an integer between 1 and 6 for each die because of course they aren't doing a real physical simulation of the dice?

I'm arguing determinism and you nerds are arguing for chance.

the game knows and lol if you believe otherwise.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Snatch Duster posted:

It's called fatalism you dumb poo poo.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Wookums posted:

It's called fatalism you dumb poo poo.

getting real butt hurt again I see. Can't argue your side without ad hominem lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Snatch Duster posted:

You're arguing determinism by stating that an event that follows a probabilistic distribution isn't random because the random numbers are generated at the wrong time. I'm also choosing to state that this is yet more evidence that your grasp of basic concepts is so poor that I wouldn't be surprised if continual drooling was the only think keeping you from drowning on your own aspirated spit, and you probably shouldn't be entrusted to feed yourself without supervision. Finally, I expect you to call this an ad hominem, which it very clearly isn't.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

xthetenth posted:

You're arguing determinism by stating that an event that follows a probabilistic distribution isn't random because the random numbers are generated at the wrong time. I'm also choosing to state that this is yet more evidence that your grasp of basic concepts is so poor that I wouldn't be surprised if continual drooling was the only think keeping you from drowning on your own aspirated spit, and you probably shouldn't be entrusted to feed yourself without supervision. Finally, I expect you to call this an ad hominem, which it very clearly isn't.

Good poo poo, you are alright.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Zephro posted:

I didn't know the bolt staff bolt even had AOE! Is it line AOE or does it blow up on impact?

It's a very small blow up on impact, and then a line AOE. If fully charged, it pierces through, as far as I can tell, Infinite Rats. If there is a swarm coming at you through a hallway, you can paint the walls with them. If you are staring down a stormvermin patrol, you can get four of them in one shot.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Snatch Duster posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the game determines your loot upon loading the map and that grabbing tomes/grims are slight modifiers to loot rarity.

The reason you wouldn't be surprised at that is you're a god damned idiot that doesn't know the first thing about probability, determinism, or computers in general. Your proposed theory is orders of magnitude more complex than simply simulating the dice calculations as presented to you at face value. That you can't see this and instead imagine bizarre narratives to try and explain what you think is some conspiracy against you is proof of how truly ignorant you are in this domain.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

The reason you wouldn't be surprised at that is you're a god damned idiot that doesn't know the first thing about probability, determinism, or computers in general. Your proposed theory is orders of magnitude more complex than simply simulating the dice calculations as presented to you at face value. That you can't see this and instead imagine bizarre narratives to try and explain what you think is some conspiracy against you is proof of how truly ignorant you are in this domain.

get back to me when you look the loot coding, otherwise your posts are just as theoretical as mine friendo.

EDIT: lol if you think any of my posts are about me, or that I care about loot. Idk if you realize this, but I said loot doesn't matter all that much. But keep picking up that poo poo and throwing, i'll keep eating it.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 13, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The loot is determinstic and the roll doesn't matter. But if they just called rand() 10 seconds later then that would be nondeterminstic and loot would matter. Programming!

I want to believe this is a troll but realistically I know snatch duster is being 100% serious.

Michaellaneous posted:

This is a game about beating up rats with buddies and having a great time doing it. If you're playing it to watch numbers go up then that's a weird thing to want and you're looking at the wrong game. The people in this thread who are most obsessed with loot are consistently the ones most dissatisfied with the game while those who play it to have fun with the gameplay are the ones who enjoy it the most.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Snatch Duster posted:

get back to me when you look the loot coding, otherwise your posts are just as theoretical as mine friendo.

As other posters have pointed out, you can edit the memory values for grimoire count to 7 just as a map finishes. With this in mind, and the fact that you can alt-f4 as soon as you see the after mission screen and still receive an item, it's guaranteed that loot calculation runs just after mission close, and the simplest and best way to do so is to take to first calculate the loot table based on difficulty and a small rand operator, then perform rand calculations for each dice to determine the final item received.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Snatch Duster posted:

EDIT: lol if you think any of my posts are about me, or that I care about loot. Idk if you realize this, but I said loot doesn't matter all that much. But keep picking up that poo poo and throwing, i'll keep eating it.

What do you know, FatShark just emailed me the code and here it is. I've simplified it a bit so you may read it. Glad we cleared that up.

code:
a variable total = 0
for each dicePickedUp
	total = total + doRoll(dicePickedUp)

giveLoot(total)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

This is a game about beating up rats with buddies and having a great time doing it. If you're playing it to watch numbers go up then that's a weird thing to want and you're looking at the wrong game. The people in this thread who are most obsessed with loot are consistently the ones most dissatisfied with the game while those who play it to have fun with the gameplay are the ones who enjoy it the most.

If you enjoy getting cool new stuff as a bonus for beating up rats with friends, the game would likely be fine for that. If you want your play to directly translate to progress on the loot carousel, then I'd probably say consider the gameplay and if that doesn't sell it to you, wait till the FreeLC drops and see if what it does sounds interesting.

^^^Yep, that makes good sense and is a correct way of doing it that doesn't matter when it gets done.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The loot is determinstic and the roll doesn't matter. But if they just called rand() 10 seconds later then that would be nondeterminstic and loot would matter. Programming!

I want to believe this is a troll but realistically I know snatch duster is being 100% serious.

Loot still doesn't matter too much. Some of the modifiers are nice on the items, but the only thing that truly makes the biggest impact on the party finishing the map is being good. Have an orange weapon is better than a blue, and having an orange is necessary for finishing cata map. That's as far as loot goes in mattering.

Remember several pages back when that scrub blamed his team for his death because he was bleeding out with no health left while holding a grim, and he died to a single slave rat because he refused to block? That guy was bad and refused to learn the game, then complained in this safe space away from pubbies, who might actually be alright/not too terrible.

Skandranon posted:

What do you know, FatShark just emailed me the code and here it is. I've simplified it a bit so you may read it. Glad we cleared that up.

code:
a variable total = 0
for each dicePickedUp
	total = total + doRoll(dicePickedUp)

giveLoot(total)

shameful, trolling your own thread

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

xthetenth posted:

If you enjoy getting cool new stuff as a bonus for beating up rats with friends, the game would likely be fine for that. If you want your play to directly translate to progress on the loot carousel, then I'd probably say consider the gameplay and if that doesn't sell it to you, wait till the FreeLC drops and see if what it does sounds interesting.

Yeah the loot can be cool and it's fun to see what effects you get on your items and take different weapons into missions, but it's definitely just one feature of the game and not the sole point of the game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah the loot can be cool and it's fun to see what effects you get on your items and take different weapons into missions, but it's definitely just one feature of the game and not the sole point of the game.

It can also be a way to encourage players to use weapons they didn't consider, like one of my buddies getting a great arming sword, deciding to try out the arming sword as a result, and realizing he really enjoys using the arming sword.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Snatch Dusted again!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

And more importantly if you made it the sole point of the game, it'd probably crush your enjoyment with the randomness making it real hard to feel like you're making progress towards what you want. If you just like spinning the wheel it's cool, but if you want something in particular it'll get frustrating (such as the month or so I took to get a replacement rapier).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mordja posted:

Snatch Dusted again!

I'm glad someone else is saying this now, I didn't want to be the only one.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
WHY

ARE YOU IDIOTS

DISCUSSING A RETARDED SEMANTIC

WITH AN OBVIOUS TROLL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Please stop yelling at me I'm sensitive.

You filthy vole rodent piece of trash!!!

• Locked thread