Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is there any robot in this world besides cosworth that isn't trying to trick me into asking for it to kill me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Feel like the naming of the baby is a deliberate gift to PC Modders down the line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFhyZG-l5qY

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TorakFade posted:

Yeah I thought so, right now I'm a pistol man but it's mostly due to lack of non-pipe rifles.. Though the disarming on gunslinger sounds good since some pistols can fire fast, and I can't stand bolt action poo poo, I need at least semi-auto

There's a ton of beastly semi-auto rifles you can make after pipe rifles. Either laser rifles or bullets both can be ridiculously heinous.

Disarming on gunslinger does sound cool too though.

ethanol posted:

Is there any robot in this world besides cosworth that isn't trying to trick me into asking for it to kill me

There's a female cogsworth who heals you :3:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Lemon posted:

Regarding if you keep the perks after dropping/selling magazines, I'm pretty sure you do. If you want to check it yourself it's easy enough, quicksave, get rid of the magazine and then check your perks list on your pip-boy.

I can confirm that you keep them if you ditch them in a magazine rack at the Red Rocket. It's a cool little animation when you put them all in.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm already getting re-roll-itis.
I originally wanted to do a melee build, but after about an hour I found it kinda useless. So I rerolled into automatic weapons. I'm about 12h in and I don't have any ammo for any of my guns and it sucks. Now I am thinking of going back to melee.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I wouldn't bother, honestly. This feels like one of those games where you can effectively do multiple builds on one character. I'm "built" for gun mods and that sort of thing, but I roll with a pistol primarily, then a hunting rifle sniper, the BoS laser rifle, a battle rifle..

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'm finding power armors like crazy. There's a military checkpoint on the causeway between Lynn Pier Parking and the Nahant Sheriff's with a couple of sentry bots and assault bots protecting some APCs. Way in the back in one of the open cargo containers however is a full T51 set protected by only an advanced lock.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Probably a dumb question but is there a way to move mods between guns? I had a hunting rifle that I had pimped out, then I killed a super mutant boss and got a legendary hunting rifle that does +50% damage to super mutants. I wanted to transfer the mods from the regular hunting rifle to it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Got a bug on the main story quest Unlikely Valentine: The vault door will not open. I can noclip through the door, but doing that breaks things even further and I'm no longer able to enter VATS.

Anybody else experienced this?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Probably a dumb question but is there a way to move mods between guns? I had a hunting rifle that I had pimped out, then I killed a super mutant boss and got a legendary hunting rifle that does +50% damage to super mutants. I wanted to transfer the mods from the regular hunting rifle to it.

You should have parts of whatever was on the old hunting rifle before you pimped it out, just add those onto it.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

For a fun time, put this in a text file in the Fallout 4 directory

code:
setgs fDiffMultLegendaryChance_VE 10000.00
setgs fDiffMultLegendaryChance_E 10000.00
setgs fDiffMultLegendaryChance_N 10000.00
setgs fDiffMultLegendaryChance_H 10000.00
setgs fDiffMultLegendaryChance_VH 10000.00
setgs fDiffMultLegendaryChance_SV 10000.00
and enter "bat <textfile without extension>" before starting or loading a game.

Ok, I am intrigued by this, is 10,000 the highest number it will accept? In playing with it for 5 minutes, I'm not 100% sure it actually worked. I saw a legendary, but not bunches. Should that value make every decent pack of raiders show up with a legendary or two?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

eSporks posted:

I'm already getting re-roll-itis.
I originally wanted to do a melee build, but after about an hour I found it kinda useless. So I rerolled into automatic weapons. I'm about 12h in and I don't have any ammo for any of my guns and it sucks. Now I am thinking of going back to melee.

Melee kinda sucks and endless goons have posted they regret putting points into it. But do it if you want. (probably take blacksmith and make those wicked axes instead of unarmed)

If you're going to go ammo definitely get the perk that says you find more ammo in containers, it really really helps. And then spend your spare caps on ammo from vendors.

But ammo efficiency is the whole reason I majored in rifleman (rifles + shotguns) and it works really really well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Its a dumb question but it gets asked a ton in this thread. You can swap mods but most slots aren't allowed to ever have an empty mod on them, so to swap a mod between guns you need a third mod to take the place of the one you're swapping, even if only temporarily.

If you don't have any spare mods, just craft whatever's cheapest, like iron sights or the basic magazine. Then swap the thing you want with the crappy mod, swap that thing with whatever's in your other gun, and then put what was in the other gun in the first gun if you want.

If you already have the mod the selection should change from "Craft" to "Install" signifying it'll cost you nothing to do.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

What do I have to change to disable Godrays in the .ini files? That thing seems to be a resource hog, even for my 980ti

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Holy poo poo, mirelurk hunters don't gently caress around. Especially when two of them ambush you out of nowhere. :gonk: Well, still nothing that a good old-fashioned ALL THE DRUGS cocktail wouldn't solve.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zore posted:

I dunno, I have built a bunch of structures and no attacks either.

I got some random attacks on Red Rocket, but only while I was actually THERE. Some Super Mutants showed up and got blasted to hell by my turrets.

Trading better guns to your settlers might not be a bad idea, either, if you don't feel like selling or scrapping them.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Melee kinda sucks and endless goons have posted they regret putting points into it. But do it if you want. (probably take blacksmith and make those wicked axes instead of unarmed)

If you're going to go ammo definitely get the perk that says you find more ammo in containers, it really really helps. And then spend your spare caps on ammo from vendors.

But ammo efficiency is the whole reason I majored in rifleman (rifles + shotguns) and it works really really well.
I have not spent on caps on anything but ammo and I am still running out, and I do have the perk as well.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

TG-Chrono posted:

That's exactly what I said! Thanks for the not at all retarded paraphrasing of my criticism.

You deserve a Nobel prize for your criticism of this video game. Outstanding work my man. You've done humanity proud.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fat_Cow posted:

What do I have to change to disable Godrays in the .ini files? That thing seems to be a resource hog, even for my 980ti

My 970 seems to handle medium godrays just fine :v:

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is there a way to store my junk items in the workshop so I don't have to fetch all of them from a container to craft?

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Speedball posted:

I got some random attacks on Red Rocket, but only while I was actually THERE. Some Super Mutants showed up and got blasted to hell by my turrets.

Trading better guns to your settlers might not be a bad idea, either, if you don't feel like selling or scrapping them.

I never use .38 so I've been upgrading up pipe guns and giving some of my nearly 2k unused rounds to guards I've been giving better weapons and armor to. They can't die so it's not entirely necessary but it's nice not having to worry about getting up from what I'm doing when I hear super mutants causing trouble. N

I've never been attacked at sanctuary (which is a bummer because my defenses are elaborate) but the Drive In comes under attack really frequently. Also the farm on the north of the map was attacked by a shitload of mutants and I got a quest advisory for it so I fast travelled there and was immediately mulched by two RPGs, so that was unexpected. I suspect the further south you go the more frequent the attacks.

Just started upgrading Castle but I have a hunch it's going to be under attack pretty frequently.

Also the minutemen are a bunch of nerds.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there a way to store my junk items in the workshop so I don't have to fetch all of them from a container to craft?

Yeah I think you're looking for the T key

To be less dickish, yes there is a store all junk function on the workshop

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Also the farm on the north of the map was attacked by a shitload of mutants and I got a quest advisory for it so I fast travelled there and was immediately mulched by two RPGs, so that was unexpected. I suspect the further south you go the more frequent the attacks.

Nope. Tenpines Bluff has been attacked around four times in my game, while most of my other settlements haven't been touched. It's weird.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Quick question: Is there a way to resolve the USS Constitution quest without having to kill the scavengers?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Yeah I think you're looking for the T key

To be less dickish, yes there is a store all junk function on the workshop

Thanks! I miss the days when games came with manuals. I didn't even realize you could scroll down on the perks list until I hit level 9.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Nope. Tenpines Bluff has been attacked around four times in my game, while most of my other settlements haven't been touched. It's weird.

How many settlers/defenses do you have?

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Can someone answer a quick question for me

. If I've been frozen for 200 years, how can my baby be alive? Was he frozen for 200 years also? Were the events in vault 111 happening in a short time span?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've started getting random CTD's in a certain area of the map. Crashed 5 times in the same amount of minutes just trying to get to the next quest marker there. Sucks.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
why does the first person fov never stick? I've changed it in the .ini files and in-game it' still like 60 or w/e. then when i use the console command to change it, it'll show the widened fov until i close the console when it immediately reverts back

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

God, I hate Piper.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

fov xx
refreshini

Then it will stick

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

why does the first person fov never stick? I've changed it in the .ini files and in-game it' still like 60 or w/e. then when i use the console command to change it, it'll show the widened fov until i close the console when it immediately reverts back

Make the files read only?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Samara posted:

. If I've been frozen for 200 years, how can my baby be alive? Was he frozen for 200 years also? Were the events in vault 111 happening in a short time span?

Have you played the game? This is the first 15 minutes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Samara posted:

You waking up briefly happened a bit of time after you were initially frozen. You were then refrozen for some time, and then you woke up.

I haven't gotten through much of the main plot but I know that much.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Samara posted:

Your kid was frozen along with your wife. You are unfrozen briefly to see him get stolen by a mercenary and then refrozen. It's probably around a decade or so before you are unfrozen again while your kid grows up.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The game was working just fine just now (except for freezing and long pauses while doing settlement building stuff) but after the game crashed out just now, it won't load. It just drops right back to the launcher. This is on Win7 x64.

Any ideas? I tried verifying the game cache but the only thing it fixed was re-adding the splash movie I made an empty file for.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

IronDoge posted:

Your kid was frozen along with your wife. You are unfrozen briefly to see him get stolen by a mercenary and then refrozen. It's probably around a decade or so before you are unfrozen again while your kid grows up.

Realistically though, there is literally no way to tell how long its been. They could have taken the kid 100 years ago or 10 minutes ago.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

IronDoge posted:

Yep this is what I was looking for.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

Thanks! I miss the days when games came with manuals. I didn't even realize you could scroll down on the perks list until I hit level 9.

One thing that A TON of people seem to keep overlooking: ALL THE BUTTONS YOU CAN PUSH ARE ALWAYS LISTED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE UI.

Seriously at the bottom of the screen there's a little pip-boy color display that will say like Tab) Quit E) Craft F) Repair R) Destroy or whatever

Just look at the bottom of the screen whenever you're in doubt.

This doesn't cover non-menu situations like "how do I get out of power armor" but it sure does cover most of the confusing things like crafting and construction and trading.

Samara posted:

You were frozen for many years before your baby was killed. You were however frozen for some time after the baby was killed too.

Other than the spoilered part this seemed pretty obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a dumb question but it gets asked a ton in this thread. You can swap mods but most slots aren't allowed to ever have an empty mod on them, so to swap a mod between guns you need a third mod to take the place of the one you're swapping, even if only temporarily.

If you don't have any spare mods, just craft whatever's cheapest, like iron sights or the basic magazine. Then swap the thing you want with the crappy mod, swap that thing with whatever's in your other gun, and then put what was in the other gun in the first gun if you want.

If you already have the mod the selection should change from "Craft" to "Install" signifying it'll cost you nothing to do.

You are over complicating it.
You have gun A with mods and gun B you want to put those mods onto.
Craft basic mods onto gun A, install the now released mods onto gun B.

• Locked thread