Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

As long as the new UFC game keeps some of the more fun physics glitches, I'll be happy. Like the one where if you time a spinning elbow and a spinning heel kick, the heel kicker will get shot across the cage.

but yeah, I don't think Stefan Struve has ever jumped and/or spun a kick in his entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

mfny posted:

So uh I bought WWE2k16, my first Wrestling game and I'm totally lost as to how to get Pins/Submissions to work right.

I can seemingly totally wreck a dude so his health is next to zero, and then go for a pin and have him kick out, which seems to make not a lot of sense. Also the QTE for submissions/pins is really difficult for me to get right which leads to situations where I have a dude at close to zero health with yellow damage on body and he still wins by submission/pin which again makes no sense.

There are no health bars in this game. Are you looking at stamina? That's what the color changing bar represents, it goes down by taking actions, not being hit. The color-coded damage indicators is how you determine the level of damage that has been dealt. Yellow isn't that high, so you likely need to hit more finishers or continue targeting a body part.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

mfny posted:

So uh I bought WWE2k16, my first Wrestling game and I'm totally lost as to how to get Pins/Submissions to work right.

I can seemingly totally wreck a dude so his health is next to zero, and then go for a pin and have him kick out, which seems to make not a lot of sense. Also the QTE for submissions/pins is really difficult for me to get right which leads to situations where I have a dude at close to zero health with yellow damage on body and he still wins by submission/pin which again makes no sense.
This being a WWE game, the AI is programmed to generally hold off on 3-counts until two bases are covered: (a) pinned worker has low health and (b) has just been subject to a signature / finisher. There are a couple of things that will help or hinder you in this respect: use of diving or grapple pin abilities will make pins easier to get, as will leverage pins to a lesser degree, and successful dirty pins to a greater degree.

Pin escape is an actual stat in this game, too, so higher-tier workers aren't liable to be put down by anything except a finisher, and some of them will have the level 3 resilience ability, which will give them one kick-out-of-pin-free card. Also, gunning for a champ in MyCareer when you're not close to #1 contendership will supercharge them and make them almost unbeatable.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Blast Fantasto posted:

There are no health bars in this game. Are you looking at stamina? That's what the color changing bar represents, it goes down by taking actions, not being hit. The color-coded damage indicators is how you determine the level of damage that has been dealt. Yellow isn't that high, so you likely need to hit more finishers or continue targeting a body part.

Not sure if the mechanics are the same as 15, but in that game you have health and stamina bars and you can definitely blow a pinfall after hitting a finisher if your stamina is low relative to theirs, even if their health is almost gone.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Oh that's another thing - hitting a pin combo after a reversal seems to increase your chances of getting a 3.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

remusclaw posted:

My perfect submission system would be a mix of Fire Pro and the old Aki System. First, screw any kind of quick time event, they just make it so you can't watch the match because you are focused on the button press about to show up. In fact that is my reason for hating quick time events in the first place, if a game wants to show me a cool looking cut-scene of me ripping some fuckers spleen out with my bare hands, the least they could do is not distract me from it with mandatory button presses or meter chases. Cut-scenes kind of suck in general, but if they need to be in, don't make me engage with them.

So a mix of Aki and the Fire pro engine, what does that get you. Well the AKI part I like is the ability of the guy taking the move, to move toward the ropes and break the hold, that needs to be in the game for all holds, if the hold is one where that makes no sense, like a torture rack, make it so that the same effort needed to break the hold gets you to slip out of it instead.

The Fire-pro part I like is tying submission success to spirit rather than body part. Working the body part is cool and all, but it sucks in practice for every move that isn't body or head because they give you so few moves that target the arms and legs. If body part working is a must for submissions, there needs to be a lot more arm and leg targeting moves. In fact keep body targeting because making a guy limp in a match is cool, but don't tie it to submissions. Screw part targeting submissions, when is the last time Kurt Angle put a ton of time into wrecking a guys leg for the Ankle Lock, no it gets them when he breaks their spirit. That is why a jobber goes down immediately, and why Shawn Michael's sits in it forever before tapping. Ric Flair on the other had does target a guy's legs, but again, no one taps unless they are broken down spiritually, tons of guys who are more main event level get out of the Figure Four when their legs are hosed.

The current and old system means anyone with a leg or arm submission finish is working at a disadvantage, if it targets a general spirit stat instead, suddenly the arm-bar or ankle lock is to be feared again, and I get to see the struggle play out rather than having to watch a bar fill up or look for a random appearing button.
The rope stuff is something I've thought about in every wrestling game since WWF Warzone. On TV, that's pretty much the way you escape once it's locked in. That or, like, punching, after waiting way too long to start punching. You don't, as every video game would have us believe, just both do one motion over and over and groan until one of you decides the other isn't going to give up and just lets them go while the announcers try to handwave it with "hmm I guess player 1 is going to try something else."

I also wholeheartedly agree about spirit rather than limb damage.

I disagree about the mini games, though. They haven't been great, but they are one of the only ways to maintain player agency. One of the main things I hate about the submission systems is how they're the way you win if you don't want to worry about the other person having a sporting chance. They accumulative damage no matter what the other person does, and eventually the mini games just become unwinnable. You can hit the hairline pin kickout in 2k14, I seent it, nobody on earth can outtap in the equivilant submission minigame. Takahashi Meijin couldn't beat that poo poo.

In terms of MMA, afaict there's really not a great way to... sorry, for this word, "kinesthetically" simulate the complicated tangle of limbs, and trying to make them go the way they're not supposed to go, while also not letting the other person do that to you, there are only so many inputs a controller can do.
But you might be able to pull off a video game version of it with dual analog inputs. I don't know a gogoplata from a triangle choke, but I know when somebody escapes the sharpshooter or figure four, it's often because they realized what was happening and got out before it was locked in.

So, say, after you initiate the sharpshooter, you get a mini game to lock it in. You get a prompt for simple movements on both analog sticks that simulate putting your leg through, wrapping the opponent's legs, then turning them over. For instance, up on both analog sticks, then down on the right and right on the left, then rotate clockwise to up on both. At the same time, the opponent has a chance to match or mirror those movements, balanced against their stamina- they could be slower by a bit early in the match, but as they get worn down, they have to beat you by more and more to stay out. Like the Rumble prompts, except balanced better. After it's locked in, then the ropes or fighting out or a reversal become your only options.

Button tapping is stupid, but there is a rope crawl mechanic in 2k14 (not sure if they kept it) which really just needs to be fleshed out more, and one of the things I liked was when a submission was beaten soundly enough, you could reverse it by picking the other person up and powerbombing them, or turn an abdominal stretch into a hip toss, or just sillyslap your way out of a full nelson, like hogan. I don't know how you'd do that without oppositional tapping, but I did like the depletable single-use resilience often resulting in these. It's always a satisfying late-game not yet motherfucker. Maybe if you could also exhaust stored finishers for that purpose?

:words:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm kind of torn on the submission system thing. On one hand, I like working a limb over, I think it makes it feel like a real match. On the other hand, the mini games do a really poor job of reflecting that damage, in that they either go too extreme and have a guy tap out immediately, or it ignores the damage. I feel like FPR gets it right in the sense that, if you have a submission finish, you're gonna have to go back to the well more than once to get the tapout, and at the same time, there's that really cool mechanic where if you work an arm long enough, it goes limp. At the same time, I understand the idea of wanting to give the player a form of agency as Cubone mentioned, when it comes to reversing holds or getting out of them. It's more complicated than it sounds.

One mechanic I used to hate, and I don't know if it's still around, is the whole thing where certain guys just cannot be locked into a hold. Wrestling dictates that if the finish requires that hold, whether it's an Olympic wrestler, a zombie Texan, or tiny agile guy with the resilience of 10 men, to be the finish, he's tappin'.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 11, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If you like a mini game being attached to submissions for player agency, make it similar to the pin mini game, make a submission something you have to get out of, put it into the hands of the defender, not the aggressor. You get a couple of chances (more or less depending on your spirit level) to push or strike the other guy off or drag your rear end to the ropes, and if you fail enough to drain all your spirit, you tap or pass out. In fact this is now part of my perfect system, I like this.

Edit: Maybe tap or pass-out could be part of the game in career or universe. You can choose to tap when failing the last spirit check, or take one more try, but if you fail you get injured and on your next couple of matches you have to get by with a weak whatever.

Edit 2: The 2k14 mechanic of moving toward the ropes is in for some but not all moves still, and the newer moves tend not to have the ability. So for instance the Sharpshooter that has been in the game forever lets you drag yourself to the ropes, but the Scorpion Death locks added in the last game don't.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 11, 2015

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

remusclaw posted:

The Fire-pro part I like is tying submission success to spirit rather than body part. Working the body part is cool and all, but it sucks in practice for every move that isn't body or head because they give you so few moves that target the arms and legs.

i get what you're saying and agree, but spamming armbars in no mercy owns

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Hunter, I agree on that. My favorite part of the AKI submission system was that it was also tied to reversals, so running in and trying to clothesline a guys head off constantly can be punished by a reversal armbar submission.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Actually managed to get a submission escape and a pin win after an hour of trying. The systems in this seem somewhat obtuse.. no tutorials and minimal documentation don't help ether.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

mfny posted:

Actually managed to get a submission escape and a pin win after an hour of trying. The systems in this seem somewhat obtuse.. no tutorials and minimal documentation don't help ether.

The briefly go over them if you start career mode. Not having a tutorial mode with something this complicated is super dumb, and it's even worse that they have an online-only manual. I should look at that thing and see if it's helpful at all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The submission system I get, as it is a little tricky, though 'gettable' with time and practice. The pin minigame is super-easy though. In fact, i assumed that'd be the big complaint, that it was too easy to kick out at 1. What's hard about 'press A when meter is in green part'?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Nothing , but it is annoying when for some reason it's greyed out and you have to press X to get it working. Frantically you may press it twice and waste that previous chance (will happen)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

You don't have to press x to get it working, it will start after the first count immediately. Finisher's give you only two tries to kick out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, finishers are automatically at least a one-count.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
All of the shoot style wrestling games use a rope escape mechanic to escape submissions. It's just also... KINDA shallow (RINGS on PS1 actually made it so different holds would call for different directions to crawl in) and all of them used thumb-destroying amounts of button mashing to get it done. Most of the ground game was countering stuff before it locked in, which was usually pretty simple in theory but a massive pain in the rear end in practice.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Hey, this game is pretty cool when you turn off all the health and such oh wait you can't see reversals, signature moves, or finishers, and there's no way to have one without the other

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Does 2k16 still hide things like the Royal Rumble counter when you do an all-AI match?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

LvK posted:

All of the shoot style wrestling games use a rope escape mechanic to escape submissions. It's just also... KINDA shallow (RINGS on PS1 actually made it so different holds would call for different directions to crawl in) and all of them used thumb-destroying amounts of button mashing to get it done. Most of the ground game was countering stuff before it locked in, which was usually pretty simple in theory but a massive pain in the rear end in practice.

This interests me, because I pulled all of that out of my rear end and didn't know it had actually been attempted already.
Could I trouble you for a couple other titles? I'm interested in trying them out. Rings on ps1 is noted.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Cubone posted:

This interests me, because I pulled all of that out of my rear end and didn't know it had actually been attempted already.
Could I trouble you for a couple other titles? I'm interested in trying them out. Rings on ps1 is noted.

almost all of them are on the SNES:
Saikyou: Takada Nobuhiko - pretty fugly, single plane, probably the most braindead one.

Masakatsu Funaki Hybrid Fighter - ostensibly shoot style, but it's mostly 3 or 4 shoot style guys and a bunch of other guys covering other styles. Just a drat good wrestling game.

Astral Bout trilogy - basically RINGS games, but rigged so that only Akira Maeda got paid. First one is insanely rough, second one is getting there, third one is good but kind of way too hard. Finally has some English language documentation, thankfully.

PS2 has "Simple 2000 vol 42: The Ishu Kakutou Waza" which I SEEM to remember has a similar system, but I could be wrong. It's been a while.

Past that and the (very elusive) PS1 RINGS game, it's mostly the little bits of shoot stuff in games like Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 and King of Colosseum 2 (which had its own kinda neat thing, there were special "flash" submissions [only available from MMA positions] that could pretty much only be locked in after the opponent was worn completely down) that come to mind.

Joking answer is the fighting game "Battle K-Road" for arcades but that's just a neat little fighter, not really anything applicable to a wrestling game.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Any good slider sets out there?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

"Brutal"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm bummed that instead of going with John Cena or Hulk Hogan(which would have made tons more sense, storyline wise) I went with Rihanna.

May have to turn in my wrestlenerd card.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
I went with Rhonda Rousey, breakin arms all across the wasteland

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

JoeRules posted:

Hey, this game is pretty cool when you turn off all the health and such oh wait you can't see reversals, signature moves, or finishers, and there's no way to have one without the other

If you're turning that stuff off it's assumed that you've memorized the positions you need to be in for signatures and finishers, and that you are timing your reversals using the animations, which I don't think is unreasonable.

If you're using prompts to do reversals anyhow, you're not likely very successful since the onscreen prompt comes up way after the reversal window closes.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

flashy_mcflash posted:

If you're turning that stuff off it's assumed that you've memorized the positions you need to be in for signatures and finishers, and that you are timing your reversals using the animations, which I don't think is unreasonable.

If you're using prompts to do reversals anyhow, you're not likely very successful since the onscreen prompt comes up way after the reversal window closes.

It doesn't sound that bad, until you run at your opponent for a Thesz Press, get nothing, and eat a finisher as a result.

I don't mind not knowing how many reversals I have. I can even live without knowing the number of finishers, but playing without knowing if you even have a signature or finisher is just stupidly handicapping yourself.

The game looks so drat good without any HUD, but plays significantly dumber.

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 13, 2015

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Codependent Poster posted:

Hey, for everyone like me who wanted to wait, WWE 2k16 is gonna be $30 at Best Buy over the Black Friday weekend. Amazon also usually will sell it at the same price sometime during Black Friday week.

Nice! I swear this game always goes on deep discount on black friday.

It does say stuff about "select platforms" and lists the PS4

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 13, 2015

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Create an entrance is literally hundreds of times more fun than the actual game.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Astro7x posted:

Nice! I swear this game always goes on deep discount on black friday.

It does say stuff about "select platforms" and lists the PS4

This is the trick every year. Always wait until Christmas-time if you're on the fence about that year's WWE game, because it can drop super low. I saw last year's get down to $20 in a couple of spots around the same time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ridiculously-good-looking-ea-sports-ufc-2-revealed/1100-6432255/

They're adding a stand-up only mode to EA UFC 2.

I didn't play EA UFC past the demo but treating EA MMA like a purely kickboxing game was the most fun way to play it so I think it's quite a nice addition.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
"Ridiculously Good-Looking" EA Sports UFC 2 Revealed With Ronda Rousey, New Physics System

*scroll down*

*close browser window*

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

That picture looks fine. Textures are clear, depicts her very well. It's still just a screenshot of a WIP game, but doesn't look bad at all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ridiculously-good-looking-ea-sports-ufc-2-revealed/1100-6432255/

They're adding a stand-up only mode to EA UFC 2.

I didn't play EA UFC past the demo but treating EA MMA like a purely kickboxing game was the most fun way to play it so I think it's quite a nice addition.

Online, it wasn't. It was way more fun to fight guys who did anything they could not to get onto the ground and either G&P them to death or see them panic as you triangled them. That or the rage that you'd get if you got a flash knockout from a headkick in 15 seconds.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Saints Crow posted:

That picture looks fine. Textures are clear, depicts her very well. It's still just a screenshot of a WIP game, but doesn't look bad at all.

its not a bad caricature. Nor is it as henious as the stuff they did to Booker T:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Weird how the most recent game is the worst of the 3, and the loving TNA pic is the one that looks most like him

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I remember the TNA game having great models and good animations but everything else was terrible. like how did this get out of QA phase terrible.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

I remember the TNA game having great models and good animations but everything else was terrible. like how did this get out of QA phase terrible.

Yeah, I'd heard it was buggy as hell upon release. A shame, because it really does look good for the most part.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

coconono posted:

No rear grapples seams like a perfectly reasonable thing for a wrestling game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I'm getting the game today since I have to wait until Christmas for fallout.

Add me on PSN wrestle nerds: jaidroxide