Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Can you actually hang/store the power armor in a PA rack and have it suspended from the arms, or do you just park it and get out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

Do laser weapons have crystals? I am always starving for them.

They don't dismantle into crystals. I wish they did. Those fuckers are rare.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ShadowMar posted:

does this change dialogue like when you bring up dogmeat in a story quest too?

I never did that and when you need to hunt Kellog Nick and Piper both called him Dogmeat anyways.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm a bit disappointed considering how much I was looking forward to this. Ten hours in (up to the end of Unlikely Valentine) and the whole experience feels flimsy and underwritten - not to mention that I feel like I've done all this before 7 years ago.

Does the writing/plot pick up anytime soon? This whole robots in disguise thing feels like baby's first sci-fi plot.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Is there any mod character preset to make a my character look like Matt Damon? I have an idea for a Boston character...

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Does the writing/plot pick up anytime soon? This whole robots in disguise thing feels like baby's first sci-fi plot.

What game franchise do you think you're playing?

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Lotish posted:

And they say Fallout's forgotten its roots.

I haven't really liked the main plot so far (though I've enjoyed the worldbuilding in general) but I screamed with joy when the Kellogg flashback mentioned the Hub/San Francisco and discussed the NCR.

There's this part of me that feels like Bethesda holds F1, F2 and New Vegas in contempt but that cooled me a bit. Also the BoS giant Zepplin almost seems to confirm Fallout Tactics as canon now. I don't know if they've referenced those in any other game.

The way I see it I hope they let Obsidian (or elements of it anyway) do the west coast (or at least to the writing) and Behtesda can continue to hamfist their horrible main plots into the east coast because I'm a Cali native and NCR loyalist and best coast and etc etc.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Saint Freak posted:

I never did that and when you need to hunt Kellog Nick and Piper both called him Dogmeat anyways.

When I did that quest his name changed from Dog to Dogmeat on screen as well as in their dialog.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

There's something weird about the lighting in this game, but I can't put my finger on what exactly. Like sometimes models are unnaturally lit from below and sometimes stuff don't look like they're part of the scenery, no shading to ground them.

EDIT: That said, I think the game looks pretty good during day-time, especially outdoors.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

New Leaf posted:

What game franchise do you think you're playing?

I think this is more of a "What developer do you think made this game?" question.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If you hadn't noticed, you can assign companions not currently with you to work resources.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Some Super Mutant just jihaded Dogmeat, and when Dogmeat came up to me after the fight he was carrying fuckloads of rads that he spread to me. It's okay boy, you're still a good dog. :3:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

BoS giant Zepplin

Unrelated but this was the coolest motherfucking moment in the game (so far). I was playing at like 2am, just about to switch off after finishing the relating the minute, and see this. Awesome setpiece.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

If you hadn't noticed, you can assign companions not currently with you to work resources.
Do you know if there's a trick to this? I've done it in the past, but 80% of the time when I send my follower back to Sanctuary I find them there sitting on their rear end and unwilling to be assigned to anything.

EvilHawk posted:

Unrelated but this was the coolest motherfucking moment in the game (so far). I was playing at like 2am, just about to switch off after finishing the relating the minute, and see this. Awesome setpiece.
The fact that they made sure it cast shadows on the ground as it flew over made it 10 times more awesome.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I think this is more of a "What developer do you think made this game?" question.

So I'm guessing that's a "no" on the 'does this get any better?' question.

I guess I'm done then. Just not having as much fun as I thought I would. :(

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

Awesome setpiece.

For all the hamfisted storytelling, F4 delivers big moments in ways that Bethesda has never really pulled off with a Fallout/Elder Scrolls game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AceSnyp3r posted:

The perk thing was one of my favorite changes to Skyrim and I'm definitely glad to see it here. Even with the sucky dialogue I still like it way more than 3.

The perk trees in Skyrim were kinda overly complicated and dumb though, the perks here I massively prefer to Skyrim.

Also skills are cool but it so often means your character needs to do what they suck at to get better at it. That's "realistic" or whatever in that you need practice, but it can be no fun to play. The first Dungeon Siege game was really bad about that.

In this game you can just run around having a good time doing quests or killing dudes or anything you want, and then when you level you get to just say "okay now I'm better at lockpicking". Works for me!

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Mr. Flunchy posted:

So I'm guessing that's a "no" on the 'does this get any better?' question.

I guess I'm done then. Just not having as much fun as I thought I would. :(

Honestly I'm having more fun exploring the universe and side quests and building settlements and moving at my own pace than I am the main quest. A lot of the side quests are pretty cool, but this game is definitely what you make it.

More Fallout is great in any case but this is a Bethesda Fallout game so I came in with measured expectations.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

I'm very glad that the .44 magnum revolver is still the Model 29 like in the previous titles. I'm not glad that there's no proper 8 inch barrel so I could be Harry Callahan, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Can you actually hang/store the power armor in a PA rack and have it suspended from the arms, or do you just park it and get out?

You can only park it and get out, however "using" the PA rack will cause the power armor to magnetically be moved into place and suspended.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Lotish posted:

Has anyone found a way to make a one-handed, gunslinger version of a sawed off like 3 and NV's Kneecapper or Big Boomer? If not, I hope modding or DLC gives me one, because I have a dream to revive the Hydra from Resident Evil 5, the king of sawed offs. Each mod tier just adds more and more barrels.

My wrists are made of adamantium--the perk just applies it to the rest of my skeleton.

I want to make this:

Because why not have a four barreled shotgun?

gently caress it, let me rip out the guts of a minigun and make it eat shotgun ammo.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Noyemi K posted:

I'm very glad that the .44 magnum revolver is still the Model 29 like in the previous titles. I'm not glad that there's no proper 8 inch barrel so I could be Harry Callahan, though.

I just want to upgrade it to the heavy barrel so I can blast some ghouls in the skull Rick Grimes style.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anybody else have trouble with mods? I edited the .ini, but they are not taking effect in-game.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

SplitSoul posted:

Anybody else have trouble with mods? I edited the .ini, but they are not taking effect in-game.

I followed the instructions in this, and everything worked:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/227/

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

gently caress it, let me rip out the guts of a minigun and make it eat shotgun ammo.
Gatling Gamma Gun. Suck it smoothskins! :byewhore:

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

New Leaf posted:

I just want to upgrade it to the heavy barrel so I can blast some ghouls in the skull Rick Grimes style.

You get an unique .44 with the bull barrel through the main story

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The problem with Bethesda character design is that it prevents any meaningful differentiation between characters. Compelling characters to specialize makes them distinct but the FO4 protagonist starts hyper-competent in everything and, most importantly, nothing is really gated, so no character feels distinct.

In NV you could play as a character who only throws punches or only uses explosives, and you were held to that choice - if a fight was difficult you were forced to play within the boundaries you set, you needed to stick to the character (by the time you were great at everything, well, at least you put in the hours to earn it). There were few opportunities to say "gently caress it" and pull out a weapon the character never uses to bulldoze through a rough patch. If you played a smooth talker, you needed to figure out a way to survive fights, whether through investing in companions or setting traps or sneaking. You could make a talker who was all about barter, or an uncouth survivalist.

Back in FO2 there were significant differences between a character with good speech, versus a character with good speech and good doctor, and a character with good speech and good science, and a character pushing all of them at once. Without those skill mixes and differentiations, they're all very slight, cosmetic variations on the same character. That's what's been done in FO4, and it's powerfully boring. That most of the perks that replace them are incremental stat adjustments only contributes to the sameness.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

When I change my FoV to 110 in the console it makes the pipboy tiny. How do I fix this?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Minorkos posted:

You get an unique .44 with the bull barrel through the main story

loving sold. Thanks for that. I found a .44 super early in the game with 5 bullets, and I've never found any more bullets than those 5. Really hoping to encounter some soon so I can start using the one I have. Honestly, a tricked out 10mm has been my go-to gun so far. I just love the feel of pistols in the Fallout games.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

eSporks posted:

When I change my FoV to 110 in the console it makes the pipboy tiny. How do I fix this?

Wear power armor

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I don't want to set the world on fire.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Bland posted:

Have you played Far Cry 3?

Yeah but I mean, Far Cry 3 had some pretty solid RPG elements. The difference between your character with no levels and no skills at the start of the game and someone at end game in Far Cry 3 was pretty significant. I think it's a bad argument honestly. You can much more easily get through Far Cry 3 with no skill points spent on hard mode than Fallout 4 on hard mode with merely no weapon skills because they actually are way different games that merely straddle similar genres.

quote:

Wait what? Do you only build your pretend person through perks now?

It's honestly a way better system, I think. What's great about it too is like because your perks are so limited the ones you do pick have enormous effects. I will swear by Cap Collector. Without Cap Collector I found caps every now and then. Now at rank 3, a good 90% of enemies I kill have caps on them and just about every desk in the game will have caps in it. I imagine ammo may as well be unlimited at rank 4 of ammo scrounger.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

eSporks posted:

Right click after you bring up the pip-boy to zoom in on it.

You can also hold down right click to wave your arm about, but why would you :shrug: Still worth mentioning, haven't seen anybody else bring it up yet.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's honestly a way better system, I think. What's great about it too is like because your perks are so limited the ones you do pick have enormous effects. I will swear by Cap Collector. Without Cap Collector I found caps every now and then. Now at rank 3, a good 90% of enemies I kill have caps on them and just about every desk in the game will have caps in it. I imagine ammo may as well be unlimited at rank 4 of ammo scrounger.

Ammo scrounger is freaking amazing. With rank 1 I've never wanted for ammo, I can't even imagine higher ranks. People do not overlook this perk.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I don't think I'll like Piper. Went to the amphitheater, Brother Thomas did a "you know how women are lol", ignoring the fact that my character is a woman and Piper is standing right behind me. So I choose the dialogue that threatens his rear end.

"Piper does not like that"

gently caress you too Piper

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Xeremides posted:

I followed the instructions in this, and everything worked:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/227/

That seems to be for .esp mods. I should have specified that I'm only using sound and texture mods.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I'm playing this game, and I'm somehow stuck between liking it and hating it, which is unusual because usually my hating a Bethesda game comes after I've played the game and is often the result of bad writing. I think a lot of it has to do with the game having a solid core, and relatively fine mechanics, and some pretty good ideas, but it's so drat unintuitive about all of it. Also their attempt to give the Sole Survivor a core personality and set of goals jives HARD against the open nature of the game; it's a little hard to be invested in or take his whole "I must find my son" schtick seriously when he just spent two weeks running around doing settlement crap, retaking forts, finding old baseball paraphernalia, and romancing several companions no less than three weeks after his wife's death (from his perspective).

But it's moments like when I end up in a suit of racing-stripe-painted power armor and a minigun, dosed to the eyeballs on drugs, running around and firing at a two-story-high crustacean that I remember why I enjoy playing these games.

Really liking the direction with the Brotherhood of Steel. I really hope the story doesn't gently caress it up and their self-justifying and sanctimonious "war for your own good" line turns out to be fully justified and not at all imperious and harmful. I mean, I know I should expect to be disappointed with Bethesda's writing at this point, but I hope.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Question about Institute weaponry? Is it supposed to be a shittier laser rifle?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Unrelated to this: you said a while ago you built your dude for Charisma, right?

Did you get much mileage out of Inspirational and the point-gun-at-enemy-to-pacify-them perks? I'm considering taking some points I'm not using out of Luck and Agility and putting them into Charisma, and I'm not sure if I want to go past 6 (Local Leader) or go to 8 (Inspirational) or 10.

Inspirational is pretty good. It isn't fantastic but with it my companion was pretty effective in combat.

The "point to pacify" stuff is... funny but not really very good. You have to be higher level and while that sometimes pays off it means any situation where you really need a 'one-hit kill' you don't got it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 13, 2015

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

This is the best Fallout so far easily and I say that as a fan of NV. Plot sucks but the factions minus the railroad are cool as heck. System requirements were a bold faced lie since we're only playing Skyrim but hey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I'm starting to feel like there is a lack of end-game small arms weaponry. It feels like weapon tech ramped up quickly from pipe rifle -> hunting rifle -> combat rifle and then it just stopped. I peeked at some wikis and I didn't find any powerful sounding "small guns"

I guess energy weapons and big guns are now the end-game stuff, while normal small arms are mostly newbie trash?

• Locked thread