Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

anatomi posted:

Yesssssss

EDIT: Oh, I hope someone mods in clown make-up and clown noses.

This, is this! Hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ShadowMar posted:

does this change dialogue like when you bring up dogmeat in a story quest too?

God this thread moves past this is regarding Dogmeat being named Dog always. He automatically changed from Dog to Dogmeat at a point in the story quest where you use him to do a thing. The character, without anyone ever referring to him as Dogmeat, does so and then forever on he is Dogmeat instead of Dog.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaphod42 posted:

Took me forever to get an answer on this one but I asked it several pages back and somebody responded, seems like:

Yes the only way to get power armor from somebody you're about to kill is to pickpocket the power core out first so they get booted before you kill them

Yes this is loving retarded

There's at least one naked suit of power armor out there too, so you can at least put those mods on something

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I see there's a console command to add perks. Is there one to remove perks, too? I kind of want to "respec" and ditch Life Giver since, going by what I'm seeing from higher-level gameplay videos, 60 HP is a drop in the bucket once you're level 30+ and the 40 I have from it now isn't doing me much good anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally managed to make a functioning supply line between Sanctuary, the drive-in, and Hangman's Alley, and build trade stores and a power armor crafting site! This is really cool, I can reinforce myself wherever now. Also I have a ghoul settler, so that's cool too.

e: I also found a power armor torso that gets better when irradiated.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zodack posted:

If you remove the car and barrels from the pool in building mode it is no longer irradiated.

I wish those barrels gave nuclear material for my mods.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

I see there's a console command to add perks. Is there one to remove perks, too? I kind of want to "respec" and ditch Life Giver since, going by what I'm seeing from higher-level gameplay videos, 60 HP is a drop in the bucket once you're level 30+ and the 40 I have from it now isn't doing me much good anyway.

player.removeperk *perkID* should work.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zaphod42 posted:

Took me forever to get an answer on this one but I asked it several pages back and somebody responded, seems like:

Yes the only way to get power armor from somebody you're about to kill is to pickpocket the power core out first so they get booted before you kill them

Yes this is loving retarded
That's kinda what I was afraid of, since this guy I mentioned died on his back I couldn't even try to get his core.. And I don't recall looting it from his body, I was busy running around getting my rear end shot off. ;)

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

eSporks posted:

I rerolled a melee guy to get around ammo issues, it was working for a few levels but now I practically get one shot. I really don't know what I am doing wrong.

I dont know whta you are doing wrong either im level 9 and I am swimming in ammo I have 700 of the lowest ammo and for my shotgun I Have like 120 ammo. I've only ran into two traders (I bought all the ammo though) ... other guns are around 50ish besides my rifle ammo which is low

Here are some tips to help with your ammo consumption I guess.

use the pipe guns because they have an abundance of ammo, use that when you dont have a lot of ammo for other guns. My rifle has like 19 bullets, so I never use it, until I have a really good rife or a lot more ammo. I am using the 10MM and double barrel shotgun more than anything and my 10MM has about 90 bullets whereas my pipe pistol has like 700 ammo just use that thing and suck it up that it kinda sucks for a while.

Even using bullets on rad roaches/ bloatflies

I think a reaosn people run out of ammo so easily is that they arent using vats. I am probalby better htan most of you guys at first person shooters, but I still use VATS because it is just a better system to connect damage (although I hate hte activate a crit thing, I never use it despite it always being full) since the accuracy of guns is pretty bad.

ytou shouldnt have to

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay Bethesda, I thought you learned your lesson when you made all locks pickable in Skyrim regardless of lockpicking skill.

So why the gently caress did you gate off the ability to pick better locks behind level caps and Perception requirements?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Building report (aka too much time on my hands). I leveled up three times by building this.

Sanctuary is secure!

~104 defense, 40 water ~46 food (why is it so hard to assign workers?). I wanted to build more laser turrets and pretty lights but ran out of copper and fiber optics. Being able to lock the gates so only settlers could use them would be a nice mod as well. But it's a nice choke point bristling with turrets. Vegetable starch farm is fully operational as well.

I just need a nude mod so I can build my army of elite virgin guards to man the watch posts. Equip them all with leather armor, so I can see everything. :goonsay:

Garvey wasn't happy with the wall. He decided to protest by standing on top a house. There were not any stairs to get up there.

Hopefully this will work against super mutants who spawn on the road in town.

Next up, equipping everyone with a better weapon and armor. Do settlers actually use ammo? Everyone has like 13 .38 rounds on them and a pipe pistol. I don't sell anything (mostly true) so I have a huge stash of weapons and mods. But I don't have enough .308 or .45 to actually give everyone 20 ammo every time a raid happens.

I've only been notified of one raid on Abernathy, and was balls deep in Raiders and Super Mutants so I couldn't fast travel to go help out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Worker management aside, which is utter hell and a crapshoot, I can't believe how fun it is to set up outposts and bases and clean up the wastes. SimFallout is great. When I have more time I need to make a building from scratch. Maybe I'll make a rooftop fort in Hangman's Alley!

schemie
May 3, 2004

Harrow posted:

player.removeperk <perkid>

Heres a list of the ID's https://i.imgur.com/U04KC0s.jpg.

Haven't found it in a better format yet.

schemie fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 13, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

player.removeperk *perkID* should work.

schemie posted:

player.removeperk <perkid>

Neat, thanks.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Okay Bethesda, I thought you learned your lesson when you made all locks pickable in Skyrim regardless of lockpicking skill.

So why the gently caress did you gate off the ability to pick better locks behind level caps and Perception requirements?

Because it's supposed to be an RPG and it's normal for RPGs to gate abilities behind ability scores/skills/level

Skyrim just made the lockpicking skill useless since you could always pick every lock no matter the character.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

gromdul posted:

Next up, equipping everyone with a better weapon and armor. Do settlers actually use ammo? Everyone has like 13 .38 rounds on them and a pipe pistol. I don't sell anything (mostly true) so I have a huge stash of weapons and mods. But I don't have enough .308 or .45 to actually give everyone 20 ammo every time a raid happens.

I think they do like companions, but whatever base weapon they have (like the pipe pistol) they'll use infinitely. But I'm not totally sure of this, so I'm just giving all my guards pipe guns I find and a good 100-150 of .38, which I never use.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

TES and Fallout have always used separate lock-picking systems as far as I know.

In Oblivion you could attempt to pick locks regardless of skill, but in NV you were locked out if you didn't have high enough skillpoints in the lock-picking skill.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I think they do like companions, but whatever base weapon they have (like the pipe pistol) they'll use infinitely. But I'm not totally sure of this, so I'm just giving all my guards pipe guns I find and a good 100-150 of .38, which I never use.

I guess I can throw extra damage mods on a bunch of pipe guns. Hopefully as long as I stick with .38 ammo won't be an issue.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 13, 2015

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I found osmething that makes this game infinitely more enjoyable and less irritating because gently caress DOGMEAT

dogs suck in real life and they suck in this game, dogmeat is the worst loving thing ever

click dogmeat

talk

gently caress OFF

gently caress OFF EFOREVER

IM TORED OF SEEING YOUR GOD drat DOGMEAT COMPANION BOX PO PUP BECAUSE ALL YOU loving DO IS RUN AROUND LIK A SPASTIC PIECE OF poo poo DOG gently caress YOU DOGMEAT

oh hi piper you better not gently caress this up

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
The worst part about lockpicking is there are locked doors/lockboxes in every drat building with Enameled Buckets and Adjustable Wrenches inside.

Meowbot posted:

oh hi piper you better not gently caress this up

I made her my new wife after like 5 minutes of meeting her. After Dogmat and Strong i felt like she was a big improvement personality-wise.

old-timey newspaper gal fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 13, 2015

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

gromdul posted:

Hopefully this will work against super mutants who spawn on the road in town.

I still haven't seen this happen, but as someone who could not care less about minecraft mode - would it be more effective to wall in the entire place? Do they actually attack the walls if their pathing doesn't let them in or something?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Nothing like fast travelling somewhere and hearing the Super Mutant Suicider ticking sound before the screen fades in.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

Hot Jam posted:

The worst part about lockpicking is there are locked doors/lockboxes in every drat building with Enameled Buckets and Adjustable Wrenches inside.

I made her my new wife after like 5 minutes of meeting her. After Dogmat and Strong i felt like she was a big improvement personality-wise.

I tried to shoot her kid sister in the head because she was bein a little bitch to me but the game didn't even register me attacking her and a security officer walked by and was like hey its halloween :grin:

war never changes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Andrast posted:

Because it's supposed to be an RPG and it's normal for RPGs to gate abilities behind ability scores/skills/level

Skyrim just made the lockpicking skill useless since you could always pick every lock no matter the character.

No, Skyrim made lockpicking easier if you leveled it up, but it didn't prevent you from trying. The perk tree also gave you better look and extra bonuses to make Lockpicking easier. I just don't understand why they have to go back to the godawful "you cannot even try this lock without the requisite perk" method of fallout. For a game that has taken a list of must have New Vegas mods and incorporated them into the main gameplay, why the hell they didn't provide alternative methods for lock opening is beyond me. Grab a stick of dynamite or some grenades and blow the lock off.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mailer posted:

I still haven't seen this happen, but as someone who could not care less about minecraft mode - would it be more effective to wall in the entire place? Do they actually attack the walls if their pathing doesn't let them in or something?

I'm also curious about this. Do attacks on settlements spawn -in- the settlement or outside so they have to move in and attack? Because if they spawn inside it kinda defeats the purpose of all the walls I put around sanctuary..

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
There was literally no reason to level lockpicking in skyrim though because even top level locks were easy enough and the game vomited lockpicks at you.

There was no reason to level anything in Skyrim, really.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Mailer posted:

The supply train guys need to get in and out of town, I assume. Walls aren't attackable, they don't have HP or anything. I dunno, I kind of assumed towns needed a gate. Maybe I'm wrong. Even with a gate the pathing is screwy for the trader's brahmin.

Verranicus posted:

I'm also curious about this. Do attacks on settlements spawn -in- the settlement or outside so they have to move in and attack? Because if they spawn inside it kinda defeats the purpose of all the walls I put around sanctuary..

A few hundred pages ago some goon reported Super Mutants spawning on the road in Sanctuary. There are probably set spawn points, but I have no idea what they are. Anyways that is why I just picked half the cul de sac, excluding the road entirely for the most part.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 13, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also, scrapping those heavily modded guns you find in chests gives an impressive amount of materials with the level 2 scrapper skill:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

No, Skyrim made lockpicking easier if you leveled it up, but it didn't prevent you from trying. The perk tree also gave you better look and extra bonuses to make Lockpicking easier. I just don't understand why they have to go back to the godawful "you cannot even try this lock without the requisite perk" method of fallout. For a game that has taken a list of must have New Vegas mods and incorporated them into the main gameplay, why the hell they didn't provide alternative methods for lock opening is beyond me. Grab a stick of dynamite or some grenades and blow the lock off.

The lockpicking minigame in Skyrim (and consequently in Fallout 4) was always trivial and there was no point to locks at all in that game because of it.

Also, New Vegas didn't allow you to pick locks without high enough skill.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Double post.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Is it worth it to have multiple artillery pieces?

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Meowbot posted:

I tried to shoot her kid sister in the head because she was bein a little bitch to me but the game didn't even register me attacking her and a security officer walked by and was like hey its halloween :grin:

war never changes

setscale .01

nice tiny newspaper you dummy I am your dad

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Andrast posted:

The lockpicking minigame in Skyrim (and consequently in Fallout 4) was always trivial and there was no point to locks at all in that game because of it.

Also, New Vegas didn't allow you to pick locks without high enough skill.

It sucked in New vegas as well. Honestly the lockpicking and hacking minigames are more frustrating then they are worth. Waiting on a mod to disable them or make them easy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sextro posted:

Is it worth it to have multiple artillery pieces?

You get bad Feng Shui if you don't place an Artillery installment on every artillery spot in the castle.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

It sucked in New vegas as well. Honestly the lockpicking and hacking minigames are more frustrating then they are worth. Waiting on a mod to disable them or make them easy.

The correct answer is to make lock them behind the appropriate skills/perks and then remove the lovely minigames.

You can also totally just unlock anything with the console by activating the console, clicking the computer/container and typing "unlock". I sometimes do that when I don't want to bother with the hacking minigame.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 13, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Good news!

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/227/

(Also, I'm not sure I agree about not locking them behind skills/perks. If you don't need to have skills to attempt lockpicking/hacking challenges, there's nothing stopping someone from just savescumming the poo poo out of them with no skill points invested, and it invalidates having those as skills in the first place. At least with this type of system to have to unlock the right to savescum the poo poo out of them :v: Which I guess is also pretty dumb, but if you're going to have them as skills you can invest in, I guess there should be a reason for it.)

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Vitale Pumphouse! Where is it???

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

so have I just been really unlucky finding armor materials worth a drat, or is there some sort of scrapper skill that works with armor, too? I want to try and get my armor to a decent level since I have some decent weapons now (granted I'm only like, level 12 and I've barely touched the main quest aside from saving Nick) so that I don't immediately get cut to ribbons.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The lockpicking minigame has been used in like 90% of stealth shooters in recent memory and is so trivial I don't know why people whine about it. It takes longer to bring up the interface than it does to pick the lock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
So was wary of picking this game up due to my exhaustion with open world games with crafting systems nowadays. Is this another case where looting items besides crafting materials in the world is beyond pointless because any crafted item is 1000% better than anything you find? And the game becomes spending 5 hours wandering around picking flowers and poo poo for crafting materials?

• Locked thread