Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Segmentation Fault posted:

Mostly, but "Guy Furry" is an abomination.

Okay yes, that I can agree with. I think Gordon Ramsmeow would've been better. Or Chairman Catga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Kheldarn posted:

Soda Dungeon came out a day early, after being pushed back from the 7th to the 12th.

Seriously, everyone should get this. I already plunked down my hard earned cash Google Play credits on ad free.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Nyaa posted:

Single heal item is sold in shop later in the game. I think it's unlock by floor?

Either get the rare immune to status effect item on your healer, get two healers, or skip the door until you got knight, which prevent traps and ambushes.

Skipping danger is for pussies :colbert:

And yeah I know I can buy them, I mean just having to use an item to heal for 30 once a fight isn't nearly as good as healing the entire party for ~45 or healing 110 and status from a single party member. The difference between having that class and not was the different between not clearing past floor 91 and having a streak to ~160.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah I stacked 2 healers with the refil mana thing and put my phone down on auto-battle wile I did something else.. came back 10 min later expecting all to be dead and they are breezing past levels like crazy.

edit: I really wish there was an easy way to toggle auto battle vs not. Sometimes I like to stop and heal up everyone / re-mana before moving on but then I need to go to settings and turn auto-battle on again.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I can't recall what it is like in 90-180 (i quit after 2100), but it might be time to start pushing for the 300+ floor, which have a boss that easily drop a weapon that helped me go to 1k floor easily. I recall 5 fire gem helped me get pass a lot of floor without hp lost and then conjurers continue this for a while. theif are the real money maker.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

I've been playing with the assumption that you should reset as soon as possible each time, since you get those sweet soda and badge relics at a rate of one each per reset. Diminishing returns on upgrading those means you should rush to get all of them asap.

And also you lose everything that's not a relic or a tavern item, so unless you're just shy of getting a VIP upgrade you should cut losses and reset immediately. Also it seems to be the way to progress the story (what there is, anyway).

Edit: also, you can't even start collecting essence (currency for relic upgrades) till after you reset once, so yeah.

wall monitor fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 13, 2015

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Morpheus posted:

Okay yes, that I can agree with. I think Gordon Ramsmeow would've been better. Or Chairman Catga.

Anthony Purrdain. Julia Kittens. Jamie Meowliver.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

JayKay posted:

Seriously, everyone should get this. I already plunked down my hard earned cash Google Play credits on ad free.

Yeah I've been playing all day and it killed my phone battery. I plunked down 1 dollar to remove ads. Game is fun. I wish auto-combat was a bit smarter once you get mana abilities but oh well that's the price you pay I guess.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Anthony Purrdain. Julia Kittens. Jamie Meowliver.

Cat Cora :v:

(I would've rather had Julia Kittens tbh)

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Digging Soda Dungeon so far, but here's a question -- the games on my phone and my tablet seem independent. If I buy no-ads on one, will it register on the other?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

delfin posted:

Digging Soda Dungeon so far, but here's a question -- the games on my phone and my tablet seem independent. If I buy no-ads on one, will it register on the other?

Having not played the game, yes, they should both be ad-free, assuming both devices are signed in to the same account for Google play.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Having an entire team with gold shields that includes at least one thief seems like a nice way to get some nice auto-battle cash. I just started them at level 1 with my phone plugged in in the other room and came back a bit later to a big dumb pile of gold.

Hurray another game I can efficiently play by not playing it. That's actually kind of annoying. :(

EDIT: Actually maybe gold shields don't stack between members, and it only gives a bonus on deathblows? I'll just make a buff murdersquad instead of farm squad.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 14, 2015

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.
A port for the board game Brass is out:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cublo.brass

Very good adapatation although it is $7 I think. AI is a not the best and very predictable so looks like online play (which technically is in beta) will be where the better games are. I was flying all day so haven't had a chance to try the online aspect.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Having not played the game, yes, they should both be ad-free, assuming both devices are signed in to the same account for Google play.
Depends on how they handle it, I've had games where unlocks I bought as IAP carried over and others where the store didn't find a thing and prompted me to buy again. Sometimes all you have to do is ask to buy an IAP you already bought and the device 'catches up', other times it fucks things up so badly that not only do you not get it but you can't even buy it.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Well, I tried it. On my tablet, no ads worked perfectly; I started up my phone with the same Google Play account, selected No Ads and it says "Could not complete transaction. Please try again shortly" without contacting Google Play. If I try buying something else on there (say, Max Stools) it contacts Google Play normally.

I'll have to play on it a bit to see if ads still show up there.

EDIT: They did at first. I put it down for a while, came back later and it recognized the purchase on the phone and updated it.

delfin fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 15, 2015

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
God damnit. Now I'm addicted to this soda not game.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I just downloaded Soda Dungeon, does it get any deeper than hitting autoequip and autofight and hope for the best?

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Mobile Strike now has Arnold Schwarzenegger in it, looks to be another one of those Game of War like games.
If you've played it let us know if it is good.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.epicwaronline.ms

RAVENMARK: Scourge has finally arrived on android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.witchinghour.ravenmarksoe

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

gmq posted:

I just downloaded Soda Dungeon, does it get any deeper than hitting autoequip and autofight and hope for the best?

Play manually to maximize returns or save MP abilities for boss fights.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Play manually to maximize returns or save MP abilities for boss fights.

It's such a bizarre game. It's definitely an idler, but at the same time, playing the battles out like a real jrpg is a lot of fun too.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

gmq posted:

A few class I unlocked has dynamically changed the party composition and strategy. Followed by rare items and soda bonus later.

Auto fight isn't smart enough to do what you want, so it's mostly for auto money grind.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I just purchased a Nexus 6P and want to install some games on it for my 10+ hour flight in a few weeks. I checked out the first post in this thread and considering downloading Hitman GO, Monument Valley, Wayward Souls, and Triple Town. Does anyone else have any recommendations on other fun games I can play? I've been hearing a lot about that Neko / Cat game.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

I just purchased a Nexus 6P and want to install some games on it for my 10+ hour flight in a few weeks. I checked out the first post in this thread and considering downloading Hitman GO, Monument Valley, Wayward Souls, and Triple Town. Does anyone else have any recommendations on other fun games I can play? I've been hearing a lot about that Neko / Cat game.

What genre? I liked playing the Cat game for a bit. I enjoyed Hitman GO but never made it past like the 2nd world but it's good. I dunno if Lara Croft GO is still on sale. Hitman Sniper is supposed to be decent too. MV and TT are great.

My personal favorites not in your list: Hoplite, 80 Days, You Must Build A Boat, Desert Golfing, Alphabear, Commute,
More recently I've enjoyed: Soda Dungeon (scroll up), ∞ Loop (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.balysv.loop&hl=en), The Sequence (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onemanband.thesequence&hl=en), Daddy Long Legs (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.setsnail.daddylonglegs&hl=en)

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Xtanstic posted:

What genre? I liked playing the Cat game for a bit. I enjoyed Hitman GO but never made it past like the 2nd world but it's good. I dunno if Lara Croft GO is still on sale. Hitman Sniper is supposed to be decent too. MV and TT are great.

My personal favorites not in your list: Hoplite, 80 Days, You Must Build A Boat, Desert Golfing, Alphabear, Commute,
More recently I've enjoyed: Soda Dungeon (scroll up), ∞ Loop (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.balysv.loop&hl=en), The Sequence (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onemanband.thesequence&hl=en), Daddy Long Legs (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.setsnail.daddylonglegs&hl=en)

I'm not sure on the genre since the stuff I like on consoles / PC I don't think translate well to the Android platform (Shooters / RTS / Action etc) but I could be completely wrong.

I'll check those games out, thanks for the suggestions.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dumb question, about how big is Fiz's install size on Androids? I really hate when the app store just says "varies".

Nevermind, it's displaying properly now?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 15, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

In Soda Dungeon I found a drop that made spells cost 1. I'm in the second dimension now and I don't know where I found it. Anyone know what floors I should be grinding?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Len posted:

In Soda Dungeon I found a drop that made spells cost 1. I'm in the second dimension now and I don't know where I found it. Anyone know what floors I should be grinding?

80-100 iirc.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Len posted:

Depending on how active you want to be, plopping a Thief and a Healer in your team, starting at 1, and turning on auto battle is a lazy way to get some nice dough. Triple chests every ten levels is pretty nice since you can sell all the crap.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Busy Bee posted:

I'm not sure on the genre since the stuff I like on consoles / PC I don't think translate well to the Android platform (Shooters / RTS / Action etc) but I could be completely wrong.

I'll check those games out, thanks for the suggestions.

Check out games by the companies Hexage and Mediocre Games. Both of them make quality stuff. I'm not sure how many of their games can be played without a data connection though.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Magic the Gathering: Puzzle Quest has been soft launched in a few countries. Expect a wide release in a few weeks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, Soda Dungeon is surprisingly excellent. Thanks for mentioning it, goons!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Busy Bee posted:

You might also want to check out:
Crossy Road, a fun Frogger clone.
Dungelot, a sort-of Rogue-light.
Dungeon Raid, a goon-made match 3 RPG with funny stories as to why you're in the dungeon each time you start a new run.
Tiny Tower Vegas, a goon-made idle hotel simulator.
Nimble Quest, a goon-made RPG-like Snake clone.
Punch Quest, a goon-made endles runner with hats.
Twist My Jeweles, a Bejeweled Twist clone.
Where's My Water?, a kind of physics-based puzzle game.

I'm not sure if the next two can be played offline:
Wayward Souls, a goon-made Rogue-like.
Marvel Future Fight, an ARPG game.

Also, if you haven't yet, get Google Opinion Rewards. Take surveys, earn free Google Play Credit.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Depending on how active you want to be, plopping a Thief and a Healer in your team, starting at 1, and turning on auto battle is a lazy way to get some nice dough. Triple chests every ten levels is pretty nice since you can sell all the crap.

If I understand how Knight works, throw one of those in there, too. They always pick a random door when those show up, and because they're immue to traps, the door will always be either a Fountain or Bonus Treasue.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Plus Knights stop your heroes from randomly getting targeted by 3-4 monsters at once and dying before your Healer can heal them.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I always run 3 Knights, a thief and a healer. Should I be using a different class instead of the 3 Knights? I am in the 4 Dimension right now and it seems to be working good.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Trastion posted:

I always run 3 Knights, a thief and a healer. Should I be using a different class instead of the 3 Knights? I am in the 4 Dimension right now and it seems to be working good.

Thieves have three practical upsides over knights in multiples - a higher Item Find increase, an AI that prefers basic attacks, and a second item slot. That last one in particular is a huge deal, since it lets you run anti-status and something else for longevity.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Trastion posted:

I sub in a dark mage and a thief. The DM can inflict status ailments which are handy when your guys are in higher floors and can't 1 turn wipe enemies or when you fight bosses (poison can be very effective). The extra thief can carry more items, adds to item find, and won't spam that stupid knight special.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I use manual controls when I'm trying to advance to the next area (as opposed to hitting autobattle to scare up some cash and items). I'm currently running two healers (one with lots of +MP stuff and a Hero's Blood, and another who's got more attack-oriented stats and the MP-restoring item), a knight (specced for attack, but not to the point of sacrificing defense), a thief (with all the stabbing, and a gold shield because why not), and a dark mage (using the magic wands to buff both HP and MP). Items for the last three vary; I haven't settled on a loadout, though right now I'm going with Hero's Blood + Magic Lamp for the dark mage, Hero's Blood + MP restorer on the thief, and some sort of attack and/or defense booster on the knight.

A few tips I've discovered along the way:
  • The AI simply won't use certain items or techniques. For instance, don't bother equipping the MP restorers if you're doing an autobattle run; they won't use them. And healers only use the single-target heal, even when the all-target one would be better.
  • The effectiveness of conjurers drops off fairly quickly. Dark mages are strictly superior, but if you don't have them yet in a given dimension, consider swapping in more knights or something. That said, while conjurers are effective, they are very effective.
  • Healing spells will damage the sort of enemies you'd expect them to. Go ahead and try tapping on monsters with them; if the spell wouldn't damage them, it won't accept the command, so no harm trying.
  • A knight in your party prevents trap rooms from showing up, so checking side rooms is usually a good idea. However, a warp is considered a good result, and you may disagree.
  • If you have a thief in your party, it's because you want to steal. Steal early, steal often, and don't forget to have some way to refill MP.
  • I don't see the point of merchants. Their 50/50 skill doesn't seem very good.
  • When I'm manually doing a run, I like to start 20 levels behind the farthest point I could reach. It gives me more time to collect loot without wearing my resources down before I get to where I was. For autobattles, I generally start at level 1.
  • Party order is important. I put my main healer first, so if the subhealer gets slept or something, I can heal him in time for him to take his turn. Then I put the subhealer (who can refill the MP of anyone who's low), the thief (so she gets a chance to steal before stuff dies), the dark mage (so she can nuke and maybe take out a target or two and save the knight's attack for something with more health), and lastly the knight.
  • Per-turn effects only tick if you actually finish a turn. This is inconvenient about as often as it's convenient.
  • The monster meat is utterly, utterly useless. As previously mentioned, it won't tick in battles where you kill everyone in the first round, and the HP it restores is laughably small.
  • At some point during the run, it becomes more important to kill monsters than to do DPS. This moment comes earlier for conjurers than for dark mages, but it comes for both. Don't nerf your attack for the sake of more MP unless you're a healer.
  • Advance to the next dimension as soon as you're able. You want the sodas and relics.
  • I paid to remove ads, but voluntarily watching an ad when you enter a new dimension will give you the funds to unlock and equip a better class right away. If you're of a mind to drop cash on the game, note that anything you purchase with cash that goes away when you dimension-hop can be re-bought for free, so it's not a complete waste of money.
  • You only get the 'new item' notification at the armory if you've never seen the item before. In your second and beyond dimensions, a few items will appear when they appeared before, but you'll have to manually look for them.
  • Always buy your next party before buying anything else. It's just embarrassing to unlock some cool stuff, only to be stuck sending soda junkies through the dungeon to scrape up pocket lint.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So I guess thieves can steal an extra essence from a glowey essence-monster. That's neat.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Merchant is great for some bosses that have hundred thousands of hp later in the game, but more of a time saver than required at that point.

Thief with two gold magnet would earn you more gold than merchant too. Thief are awesome.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Nyaa posted:

Merchant is great for some bosses that have hundred thousands of hp later in the game, but more of a time saver than required at that point.

That's pretty much all I use them for myself, they're great for taking on the final boss of a dimension.