Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

What I'm saying is that NoE are far more willing to take a risk, properly handle that risk, and have that risk pay off than NoA, and that reflects badly on them

Why does it reflect badly? Why is taking a risk inherently good especially when a lot of those risks don't pay off? NoE has published stuff like Tingle's Rupeeland (which is even an establish franchise game and actually fun) which just kind of fizzled. There are unpublished games that NoE doesn't touch because they're not worth the risk to them. You can point to Xenoblade but even Xenoblade wasn't a runaway gangbuster hit, merely a modest one. Nobody is begging for Disaster: Day of Crisis or whatever.

There are also games where it just plain makes more sense to localize them only in certain places. It took us forever to get Inazuma 11 because... well, Soccer doesn't have the same impact in the US as it does overseas and there's a reason we haven't heard hide nor hair of further I11 localizations.

I love niche games. Most of the games I most want to play are super-niche titles and I'm exceedingly pleased that a lot of them have found a solid stable market now. A fair bit of them only barely skirt the edge of profitable, though again digital distribution helps that. Taking a risk isn't inherently a good thing and a lot of the time it doesn't pay off. It's just that for some reason people never remember all the times risk-taking has turned out poorly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody is begging for Disaster: Day of Crisis or whatever.

There are also games where it just plain makes more sense to localize them only in certain places. It took us forever to get Inazuma 11 because... well, Soccer doesn't have the same impact in the US as it does overseas and there's a reason we haven't heard hide nor hair of further I11 localizations.

Both of these statements make me insanely sad because I loved both Disaster: Day of Crisis and Inazuma 11 2.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Steve...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just remembered I have Disaster Day of Crisis and only played it for ten minutes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Both of these statements make me insanely sad because I loved both Disaster: Day of Crisis and Inazuma 11 2.

I liked Inazuma 11 a lot as well and I'd gladly play the sequels which I heard are better but welp.

(Wasn't much on D:DOC but to each their own.)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Disaster is silly as hell and it owns

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ImpAtom posted:

I liked Inazuma 11 a lot as well and I'd gladly play the sequels which I heard are better but welp.

(Wasn't much on D:DOC but to each their own.)

D:DOC isn't a good game but it scratches the same itch as, say, Sonic Adventure 2, in that it's just so stupid I can have a ton of fun with it even though there's a lot of baffling and awful design decisions.

I was SO excited when Inazuma 11 came out in America because I thought it meant I might be able to get my friends to be able to play 2, which I think is actually a really super legit good game for reasons like you can dress your soccer team up in Secret Service uniforms, and also one of the main characters has a psycho alter ego where his hair goes all crazy like a Super Saiyan and his scarf flows wildly in the breeze. He is the ultimate soccer player.

edit: also you don't have to rely on axel and his dumb butt the entire game

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Also the plot of Inazuma Eleven The Second In The Series is that aliens invade Earth and they are all very good soccer players.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

alcharagia posted:

Also the plot of Inazuma Eleven The Second In The Series is that aliens invade Earth and they are all very good soccer players.

So it's like the Globetrotters from Futurama, but with Soccer.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

alcharagia posted:

So it's like Crash Team Racing's plot then?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alcharagia posted:

That makes perfect sense.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Also the biggest shame about the American release of I11 was that it didn't retain the insanely British voices from the original English release, including the awful redubs of the title screen themes, which for some reason remind me of Sonic Heroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XifTPzNWl2E

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Why does it reflect badly? Why is taking a risk inherently good especially when a lot of those risks don't pay off? NoE has published stuff like Tingle's Rupeeland (which is even an establish franchise game and actually fun) which just kind of fizzled. There are unpublished games that NoE doesn't touch because they're not worth the risk to them. You can point to Xenoblade but even Xenoblade wasn't a runaway gangbuster hit, merely a modest one. Nobody is begging for Disaster: Day of Crisis or whatever.
You know what? I can't answer that. But you can't deny it happens right? Like, there's the utterly, absurdly stupid Devil's Third situation. So yeah, people get angry even if they know it's not in a company's interest, because they're probably just not thinking in terms of business. To the consumer, a hit to Nintendo's bottom line doesn't matter to personal convenience basically, probably because people know they're such a big company and think they can just tank the hit.
Also put me in as part of the people who appreciate DDoC. I just picked it up randomly in a shop one day too.

ImpAtom posted:

I love niche games. Most of the games I most want to play are super-niche titles and I'm exceedingly pleased that a lot of them have found a solid stable market now. A fair bit of them only barely skirt the edge of profitable, though again digital distribution helps that. Taking a risk isn't inherently a good thing and a lot of the time it doesn't pay off. It's just that for some reason people never remember all the times risk-taking has turned out poorly.
There are a lot of companies who went out of their way to try cater to audiences and had that blow up in their face, and yes it's depressing as hell. I mean, just look at Trails right now...
We like to use the success stories as an underdog scenario I guess. "Oh, the little publisher fought against all odds and got a successful release" is always good to hear. You're right, at least today's environment facilitates things.
Also sucks about the US' trash taste in sports.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Also also, the final boss of Inazuma Eleven 2 is awesome because it's all the idiots from the original game's default team except Mark, Wallside, and the dude with the glasses, having turned evil on mad alien space soccer power because they got mad that everyone stopped using them because they sucked and were bad.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

alcharagia posted:

Also the biggest shame about the American release of I11 was that it didn't retain the insanely British voices from the original English release, including the awful redubs of the title screen themes, which for some reason remind me of Sonic Heroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XifTPzNWl2E
The poor singer is trying so hard, but there is only so much you can do with lyrics of that quality

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

"Oh, the little publisher fought against all odds and got a successful release" is always good to hear. You're right, at least today's environment facilitates things.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, it's great when it happens. I guess I've just got a graveyard of "this game is great and nobody bought it" sitting on my shelves which makes me think twice. :smith:

I'm just always pleasantly surprised when things keep coming, even if they end up coming in crappier fashion. (I wish to god Atelier games were popular enough to give PC ports or good translations but welp.)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ok I wouldn't know where else to post this but the Character/VA associations in XenobladeX just crack me up for some reason:

I'm not sure if it's because it's so spot on, or because everyone of these is so pigeonholed, it's great.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I dunno that's kind of weird that they list Yuri Lowenthal as "Heroic" and not "Fuckin Dork" though.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA7uW-Efy3k

Nintendo removed the Boob Slider from the English version of Xenoblade X. Female characters only have Medium boobs now. :laugh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just like real life

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I dunno that's kind of weird that they list Yuri Lowenthal as "Heroic" and not "Fuckin Dork" though.
But "Fuckin Dork" is Bryce Pappenbrook to a T.
Anyway I even found a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEz0Fa53B4s

Gotta love "Classic" just being shorthand for Shulk.

HGH fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 13, 2015

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
how discriminatory to people with huge boobs

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

What is the best ios RPG according to this thread

I don't know about the rest of this thread's opinions, but the surprising truth is that it is the licensed children's television spinoff "Steven Universe: Attack the Light."

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I don't know about the rest of this thread's opinions, but the surprising truth is that it is the licensed children's television spinoff "Steven Universe: Attack the Light."
This is p. true. It is a good light Paper Mario style game. Most other good mobile RPGs are ports (Xcom, KOTOR, FF games).

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

HGH posted:

Where did I say they never translate anything? I specifically mention the context of niche products like Xenoblade and FF5.
What I'm saying is that NoE are far more willing to take a risk, properly handle that risk, and have that risk pay off than NoA, and that reflects badly on them. NoE are smart at grabbing opportunities. I mention Chris Pranger because he probably wasn't unique in his negativity, even if he was a loudmouthed idiot that got himself fired, and it's probably reflective of the mindset over there.
Maybe I'm unfair, since they did take risks with Bravely Default.
The "other times don't count because" there's inherently less risk in doing Mario, Zelda or sequels to established franchises. Probably the big exception to this is FE:A, which was selling less and less with each entry, but that one had western release in mind from development (though they still had to cooperate with 8-4).
Honestly I'm not even sure why I'm complaining since I don't even like NoA's internal meme filled translations.

At the time of Xenoblade's original release, currency exchange rates were highly unfavorable to Japanese publishers doing business overseas due to the strong Yen at the time. To publishers who had a good deal of their sales come from North America, such as Capcom, Square-Enix, and Nintendo, this was especially devastating. They made the decision to focus their resources on promoting games that had high sales potential over those with more niche appeal. It's also the reason why we saw some Japanese publishers retreat back into the domestic market or European and Oceania territories get games before North America.

Here's what Iwata said to a shareholder about currency exchange rates in 2010:

quote:

Newspapers say that Nintendo incurs foreign exchange losses associated with a strong yen. Why don't you somehow change dollars and euros into yen?

Fluctuations in the foreign exchange rates have an impact on how Nintendo announces its financial results in two ways. One is on sales. When we close the books, the company needs to calculate the yen-equivalent of the sales made in non-Japanese yen such as dollars and euros. Therefore, a stronger yen will decrease the sales in yen even though the sales in the original currencies remain the same. On the other hand, a weaker yen will increase the sales in yen even though the original sales in dollars and euro have not increased. This influence on sales affects all exporting companies. For example, since Nintendo' sales in the 70th fiscal year in U.S. dollars were 6.3 billion dollars and euro sales were 3.6 billion euros, one yen change against the dollar would have fluctuated the sales in 6.3 billion yen and one yen change against the euro would have fluctuated the sales in 3.6 billion yen. This impact on sales is true with all exporting companies.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/100629qa/index.html

I suppose the argument can be made that Nintendo is a platform holder rather than an independent publisher. Their responsibility should to create an active software ecosystem for themselves and third parties even if it means taking losses on individual titles. It's not like they're exactly swimming in third party software that could fill in the gaps in their catalog.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

What's a good way to get started with the Witcher series? I hear the first game is kind of janky, and the third is an improvement on the second, but should I watch catchup videos for the first and second, or just the first, or play them all in order? I'm not optimistic about my chances of doing well in the combat, considering I'm a JRPG player so I hate using consumables :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

What's a good way to get started with the Witcher series? I hear the first game is kind of janky, and the third is an improvement on the second, but should I watch catchup videos for the first and second, or just the first, or play them all in order? I'm not optimistic about my chances of doing well in the combat, considering I'm a JRPG player so I hate using consumables :v:

Honestly, just play 3. Anything important is covered by in-game recaps or is something from the books.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Amppelix posted:

I looked this up out of curiosity, and wow

You can see the character being sucked out. Also her separate pant legs got replaced by Standard Stockings.

lol using rubber bands to hold up your shin socks

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Just play 3, consumables aren't a problem because once you've made something once it gets fully recharged every time you rest, as long as you have (very cheap and common) strong alcohol in your inventory.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Amppelix posted:

I looked this up out of curiosity, and wow

You can see the character being sucked out. Also her separate pant legs got replaced by Standard Stockings.

Left Art: Someone's Tenchi-Muyo fan character
Right Art: Someone's Sword Art Online fan character.

They're both awful designs.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

thats where you're wrong you loving idiot

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Generic 90's anime art vs generic 00's anime art

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

1999 was the artpocalypse

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How are her sock/detached pant leg things staying up? That ribbon is too loose

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Sakurazuka posted:

How are her sock/detached pant leg things staying up? That ribbon is too loose
It's all in the starch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Sock glue.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
anime girl brand sock glue: its all in the starch

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So it's almost been 16 years since Chrono Cross came out. I'm feeling like replaying it. Granted it's only been a year since I played it but whatever.

I'm curious about something. People rag on the cast a lot, and I myself never recruited many of them. Plus I only ever used about the same four or five people.

Who are the shittiest characters in terms of gameplay?

In terms of the best, I'm pretty sure Serge is the best character in terms of combat by far. I don't know who's second or third best, though.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

glenn is easily second-best in combat. orlha could have the potential to be good if she wasn't recruited so late and if the way you gained stats wasn't broken. (you gain mini-growths from random battles between each star 'level up' that happens when you beat a boss. characters not in your party do not enjoy these growths..)

third is maybe harle? her innate techs are really useful, her grid is good, her stats are good. actually all of her stuff is really good. She might be more useful than glenn. she's not in your party long though. besides her riddel is probably the best caster in the game

macha has really good stats for some reason

all of the dumb sidequest characters also tend to be the worst statistically.

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I swore off ever using Riddel again after the game forced me to use her to fight Dario. She was ostensibly a very lovely meat shield in that fight and spent most of it dead. Well I say "it" like I only did it once. I fought him at least a dozen times and in each time she ate dirt in no time.

I always used Karsh once he was available 'cuz I liked him and he seemed to hit pretty hard.