Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Can't not. E is super tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MadDogMike posted:

While the logical answer would be Red Corsair, I must go with E. The Clans precisely because of how batshit insane the idea is, especially since the Capellan style of warfare is probably close to the polar opposite of zellbringen given how sneaky they are. With any luck they could push the Clans into Smoke Jaguar-level tactics, and we'd have Team War Crimes vs. Team War Crimes (whoever wins, every innocent within 50 light years loses). That and I find the idea that the prototype CC mechs wind up stuck against the one group with superior tech to them pretty funny; it'd be "so much for the CC having an edge", which about fits their traditional luck in these matters.

Actually, considering the origin of the Capellan experimental tech is Clan stuff the Death Commandos stole, that might be the only plausible way to tempt the Clans into getting involved. Not that Duncan knows any of that, though.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm going to vote C because I saw the words red and corsair next to each other. However,

Narsham posted:

I'm voting D despite the Corsair bandwagon.

D is the stuff good novels are made of, but we're all so aware of what Amaris will do, it's almost a throwaway. Thus, pirate funbots.

Still, Amaris need to do something soon. I'm hoping for some backstabby twist in the next political vote.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Going to the Clans does sound hilarious, if nothing else.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm going to vote C because I saw the words red and corsair next to each other. However,

D is the stuff good novels are made of, but we're all so aware of what Amaris will do, it's almost a throwaway. Thus, pirate funbots.

Still, Amaris need to do something soon. I'm hoping for some backstabby twist in the next political vote.

D is for Davion, friend.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
After reading what everyone has to say I'm going for C: The Red Corsair. They've proven themselves adept at getting into and out of sticky situations while remaining on top the whole time, so extracting Carlos should be something they're capable of.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That, and sending mercenaries and a hidden ruler posing as a pirate lord to go rescue a prince with their giant robots while he leads a desperate resistance is pretty awesome.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Night10194 posted:

That, and sending mercenaries and a hidden ruler posing as a pirate lord to go rescue a prince with their giant robots while he leads a desperate resistance is pretty awesome.
I'm sold!

C) The Red Corsair

Do Melissa Steiner and Carlos Marik have any history in either universe?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Going with C since the Red Corsair will probably demand/take some/all of the high-tech cappie salvage as/in addition to payment (if they can get salvage) and I kinda wanna see that poo poo get disseminated, especially to Skye and especially especially if they end up teaming up with/joining the FWL.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Voting C, but please tell us how much of a clusterfuck would have ensued if E had been chosen.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ardlen posted:

Do Melissa Steiner and Carlos Marik have any history in either universe?

Not even slightly. In the regular universe Duncan takes over the FWL then gets put down like a dog by Thomas. Carlos ends up a Captain in a Marik Militia regiment and never gets promoted because of his disgraced father. I sincerely doubt he and Melissa were ever on the same planet, much less met at all.

In the PTN verse? There's no mention of them meeting, and since Carlos was off with his regiment, presumably she missed him the last time she Red Corsair-ed her way through.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 14, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Having her rescue the guy would definitely mean they would meet. Dashing princess saves blushing prince from a life of war crimes and body doubles, what's not to like in this story?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
E, if only because the losing factions that get more votes tend to do better "off-screen", so to speak.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

What's the inheritance status for Melissa like? Is she, as in the canon, heir apparent to the Commonwealth, or only Skye after its secession?
Because I'd like both the option of the Free Worlds Commonwealth (Free Commonwealth? Free and Lyran Worlds League?) as a counterpoint to the Draconis Suns and the option of an accession of Skye to the FWL.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
C) The Red Corsair

The clans are way too busy with the whole "war on the inner sphere and/or Amaris" thing to ask for help from them, and Amaris could very well be crazy for all Duncan knows.

Comstar makes a fair amount of sense (for now), but Duncan still has reason to believe they may be involved with Amaris, since his messages to the border worlds keep getting conveniently lost.

The Red Corsair, meanwhile, has proven both able *and* relatively trustworthy, so she's likely to actually do what's being asked of her, unlike almost everyone else. The real fun, of course, is that Duncan will probably expect her to ask for either money or mechs (that's what pirates usually want), when she's really more likely to make him swear on his honor to support Skye. Needless to say, if Skye gets a secret alliance with both the Free Worlds League *and* the Steel Viper clan, then they could very well manage to throw a massive wrench into Amaris's plans, which is the kind of set-back he needs to remain interesting.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

sheep-dodger posted:

What's the inheritance status for Melissa like? Is she, as in the canon, heir apparent to the Commonwealth, or only Skye after its secession?
Because I'd like both the option of the Free Worlds Commonwealth (Free Commonwealth? Free and Lyran Worlds League?) as a counterpoint to the Draconis Suns and the option of an accession of Skye to the FWL.

The Commonwealth of Free Worlds as the leading economic power, Draconis Suns as the military power, and the Capellan Confederation as the secretive technological power makes for a reasonable balance.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

C. More battle appearances by big names! More chances for big names to potentially die due to PTN's dice!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Going with C, let's risk other big names in a fight with the Capellans.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
As tempting as the Clans/Red Corsair bandwagon is I'm going to vote A) ComStar because that last mission was awesome (I know Kernoff and Pals aren't really representative of ComStar as a whole, but I want to see more ComStar dammit! :argh:).

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010
So does Marik know that the Capellans have used stolen Clan tech? We know, yes, but how is Marik going to pitch that to the Clans with the information he has?

Do the clans even know that it was the Capellans who stole the tech?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Endomorphic posted:

So does Marik know that the Capellans have used stolen Clan tech? We know, yes, but how is Marik going to pitch that to the Clans with the information he has?

Do the clans even know that it was the Capellans who stole the tech?

Pretty sure that apart from certain Capellans, no-one not on the planet knows about it yet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Wafflecopper posted:

Pretty sure that apart from certain Capellans, no-one not on the planet knows about it yet.

Apart from certain Capellans no one on the planet knows about it either.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

Apart from certain Capellans no one on the planet knows about it either.

Yeah, not even Carlos and his guerrillas have confirmation that the Capellans are using Clantech; they just know it's some hot-poo poo experimental stuff. Remember that when they saw the -O designation for the Shadow Hawk Skittles Squad they assumed it was the Capellans playing SigInt tricks rather than realizing that these are OmniMechs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, not even Carlos and his guerrillas have confirmation that the Capellans are using Clantech; they just know it's some hot-poo poo experimental stuff. Remember that when they saw the -O designation for the Shadow Hawk Skittles Squad they assumed it was the Capellans playing SigInt tricks rather than realizing that these are OmniMechs.

They likely don't even know what Omnimechs are.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 14, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

They likely don't even know what Omnimechs are.

I was going to say "Surely their intelligence services have gotten some reports from the Houses that are fighting the Clans re: OmniMechs" right up until I remembered "Oh right, Free Worlds League."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I was going to say "Surely their intelligence services have gotten some reports from the Houses that are fighting the Clans re: OmniMechs" right up until I remembered "Oh right, Free Worlds League."

It took the Inner Sphere ~5 years or so after the invasion to wrap their heads around Omnimechs and another 5 or so to start making their own. They're still in the "these BattleMechs are weird" stage right now.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
You guys are no fun. The Clans would have been hilarious.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Fraction Jackson posted:

I mean, it's tradition in every timeline for a Marik heir to get body-doubled, so...

And it's probably already happened. Carlos drives up to the HPG and gets moved immediately to the front of the line? "Sure, just step into the booth, sir." And then "Carlos" exits the battlefield in an awesome huge mech that just happened to be hidden nearby.

The Capellans might have been able to id Carlos' body from DNA but I doubt they were testing corpses before the nuke went off and nobody will be identifying Carlos after it.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Vote count so far:

A) ComStar: 5
B) Stefan Amaris: 0
C) The Red Corsair: 48
D) Hanse Davion: 4
E) The Clans: 16

It's pretty much a landslide for the Red Corsair, with more votes than all the other options combined.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Saint Celestine posted:

You guys are no fun. The Clans would have been hilarious.
I absolutely agree it would be hilarious, but I think the same confrontation will be *more* hilarious *later*, when everyone has had a bit more time to figure out what's gone on and develop some rage about it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Also, politic vote isn't theatre vote.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
E

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

goatface posted:

Also, politic vote isn't theatre vote.

Mini campaign, so the next mission is all but set. We only decide who we're playing as, most likely.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Narsham posted:

And it's probably already happened. Carlos drives up to the HPG and gets moved immediately to the front of the line? "Sure, just step into the booth, sir." And then "Carlos" exits the battlefield in an awesome huge mech that just happened to be hidden nearby.

The Capellans might have been able to id Carlos' body from DNA but I doubt they were testing corpses before the nuke went off and nobody will be identifying Carlos after it.

I would say that this depends on C* having been specifically waiting for Carlos to show up, but then, they did seem to move surprisingly quickly. And, well...

PoptartsNinja posted:

“You needn’t worry about the price,” Garvey’s smile widened. “I’ll comp this one. I assume you’ve already made a recording? Will you be wanting a full verigraph?”

Carlos seemed stunned—exactly the reaction Garvey had been hoping for. The young heir-elect stammered for a few moments before admitting, “Yes. And yes, a verigraph would be good.”

“Wonderful!” Garvey clapped his hands, turning to lead Carlos towards the rear of the facility. He called out to an acolyte in passing, “Acolyte Jiminez, start the HPG charging sequence! This transmission won’t be waiting for the normal weekly batch. We’ll be transmitting his message the instant our visitor has finished the gene-sequencing.”

So even if he hasn't been doubled already, C* probably has enough information on Carlos to do so, assuming that part of the HPG transmission wasn't scrambled by bouncing a gauss slug off the dish.

So this is why asking ComStar for help is likely an especially bad idea in this instance. The Red Corsair, while probably not enough forces to change the military situation for Duncan, is at least more than capable of grabbing Carlos without being likely to return a fake Carlos instead as their end of the bargain.

Also, speaking of the Corsair - did we ever find out why Team Banzai is rolling with Melissa and Morgan? A Kell palling around with the real Melissa Steiner makes a decent amount of sense in any timeline, but Banzai being involved always seemed weird to me considering in the original timeline they were always associated with Hanse and the NAIS. Was it because they were hunting down the Helm memory core and the Doc wanted a first-hand look at it? Did it come about after the Kell Hounds were done on Cylene way back after the first mission? Did Team Banzai simply just come into existence in a very different way this time around, considering when and how Helm was found in the first place? It's something to speculate about, I suppose.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 14, 2015

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm voting C.

PoptartsNinja posted:

“Shut up, Grouse,” Marcus grunted as his fingers wrapped once more around the stock of his laser rifle. Its presence was reassuring, even though he half expected the specter of William Blake itself to come storming out of the charred rubble behind him. It hadn’t happened yet, but the way Grouse kept on you’d think he’d only been delayed because he meant to invite the ghosts of Aleksandr Kerensky and Stefan Amaris along to help.

Shouldn't it be Jerome Blake? Or are the Cappies paranoid about the ghosts of Romantic poets stalking them? :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

C

Because A-TEAM vs POWER RANGERS.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pussy Cartel posted:

I'm voting C.

Shouldn't it be Jerome Blake? Or are the Cappies paranoid about the ghosts of Romantic poets stalking them? :v:

Yes, I was thinking about William Blane. For some reason. Fixed!

Voyager I posted:

Voting C, but please tell us how much of a clusterfuck would have ensued if E had been chosen.

Clan Purple Bird.

I'm not serious. Or am I? I'm not. Maybe.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clan Purple Bird

Clan Amethyst Eagle?

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Clan Amethyst Eagle?

Clan NO YOU SHUT UP

Adbot